To rent a car and park...

DisFan84

Mouseketeer
I'm very torn on a car rental and paying to park at the resort when really we'll only need the car to get to the resort, go to a store that day for room snacks/drinks, any exploring we want to do for one of the days we are there and then going to the airport to leave. I've booked a car to lock in a price through Costco, and it's actually gone down 40.00 since I initially booked but to still pay 430.00 (including parking) pains me. We'll be there for 6 nights, 7 days.

Is Uber a popular thing there? I know there are shuttle options but my thing is, is once we're at the resort are we really going to want to venture out much? The car rental alone is just an extra 100.00 versus the amount we'd pay to shuttle the three of us (DH, our 4 year old and myself) but 210.00 for parking... ouch:/

Any thoughts or advice would be great :) we're first timers to Aulani and Hawaii

Personally I would not do any part of Hawaii without a car, unless you know for sure you don't want to drive around the beautiful island I wouldn't skip it.

We'll also receive 50.00 a night resort credit- can that be used towards the parking fee?

We have never visited Oahu and not had a car - even more so from Ko Olina. It is just too remote to get to and from. Plus having children means I don’t want to wait for taxis / Uber’s plus hassle of car seats (altho’ this year we finally became free of that!).

There is so much to see on Oahu, and a rental car is the most affordable option to get out and see the sights. Plus, if you want more affordable meal options I suggest eating off property in Kapolei. Restaurants on property, and even in immediate vicinity of Aulani are Disney prices.

You can always just rent a car on site for the day that you need one. There is a rental car kiosk near the convention rooms. I think it was an alamo and there is an enterprise kiosk at marriott koolina. Rent by the day, that way you dont have to pay parking. The kiosk at Marriott has a rent in the afternoon program that is cheaper also. I believe they also do rent by the hour. You can take the resort shuttle to marriott if you do not want to walk there.

Glad you've decided on a car. I'm another vote that a car is a must, and I'm the type who hates driving on vacations! We saw and did so much more with having a car, and the flexibility was worth it. And honestly, the prices you mentioned are nominal in the grand scheme of a Hawaiian vacation.

once we're at the resort are we really going to want to venture out much?

To each their own, but I personally cannot imagine spending all the money and effort traveling to Hawaii and NOT venturing out. Aulani is beautiful, but IMO, there's not a ton to do there and it pales in comparison to the beauty of the rest of Oahu. Plus, Ko Olina is a planned gated tourist community. There's not much to do there within the gates and you don't get a sense of Hawaii until you leave it.

Glad you've decided on a car. I'm another vote that a car is a must, and I'm the type who hates driving on vacations! We saw and did so much more with having a car, and the flexibility was worth it. And honestly, the prices you mentioned are nominal in the grand scheme of a Hawaiian vacation.

To each their own, but I personally cannot imagine spending all the money and effort traveling to Hawaii and NOT venturing out. Aulani is beautiful, but IMO, there's not a ton to do there and it pales in comparison to the beauty of the rest of Oahu. Plus, Ko Olina is a planned gated tourist community. There's not much to do there within the gates and you don't get a sense of Hawaii until you leave it.
I absolutely agree. This will be our first visit and to be honest, not sure when we’ll have an opportunity to go back. I want to see as much as we can.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter