To the CM's on the board: what is the one "tip" you can give us?

Been following your thread on MM too...great tips all around this thread and MM-been awhile since we've been back and first time with DS. Always talk to the people around you-including CM. We do this on every trip (WDW and beyond) and you can learn some really great "inside" tips (one of my fave from trip to Vegas was sitting at a bar waiting on a dinner res-missed the res because we ended up talking to a local who knew bartender and kept us laughing at all the inside "dirt" on goings on in LV);
kind of skipped around a bit (84 pgs is long) but if you drive beware of crazy drivers on WDW property-you cannot get "lost" or take a wrong turn but when we were on CP we were always warned about guests so excited to see WDW they would stop and back up on the road if they thought they missed their turn!

I have a question for the CM's out there, particularly the ones who handle ressies, ADRs, Mickeybands, and the like:

I recently purchased two 3-day Hopper passes through a friend of ours that works for AAA [t was a 1-day AAA special...yada, yada, yada.]. I want to add them to our Mickeybands [when we get them in the mail, or whatever]; however, we reserved a pkg [directly through WDW] that includes Dining. Of course, with that pkg we had to purchase a 2-day basic pass. We don't want to use those two days; just the 3-day PH. My question is this, if both the 2-day basic AND the 3-day PH passes are associated with the Mickey bands, won't the unused days expire if we don't have the 'No Expiration' option on it? Or, how can we arrange it so that the 2-day basic passes are NOT on the Mickey bands - just the 3-day ones? :confused3

1 week, 85 pages later, but i'm done.
Thank you all so much for this thread! I'm going in December and i hope to remember all these tips. Especially slowing down! My aunt is either going to be in a wheel chair or evc and everyone going knows i'm going to be the one that causes issues, simply because i walk to fast.
I really hope to remember all of these
Thank you to all the wonderful cms!

I have a question for the CM's out there, particularly the ones who handle ressies, ADRs, Mickeybands, and the like:

I recently purchased two 3-day Hopper passes through a friend of ours that works for AAA [t was a 1-day AAA special...yada, yada, yada.]. I want to add them to our Mickeybands [when we get them in the mail, or whatever]; however, we reserved a pkg [directly through WDW] that includes Dining. Of course, with that pkg we had to purchase a 2-day basic pass. We don't want to use those two days; just the 3-day PH. My question is this, if both the 2-day basic AND the 3-day PH passes are associated with the Mickey bands, won't the unused days expire if we don't have the 'No Expiration' option on it? Or, how can we arrange it so that the 2-day basic passes are NOT on the Mickey bands - just the 3-day ones? :confused3

...waiting for a response....TIA! :thumbsup2

I have a question for the CM's out there, particularly the ones who handle ressies, ADRs, Mickeybands, and the like: I recently purchased two 3-day Hopper passes through a friend of ours that works for AAA [t was a 1-day AAA special...yada, yada, yada.]. I want to add them to our Mickeybands [when we get them in the mail, or whatever]; however, we reserved a pkg [directly through WDW] that includes Dining. Of course, with that pkg we had to purchase a 2-day basic pass. We don't want to use those two days; just the 3-day PH. My question is this, if both the 2-day basic AND the 3-day PH passes are associated with the Mickey bands, won't the unused days expire if we don't have the 'No Expiration' option on it? Or, how can we arrange it so that the 2-day basic passes are NOT on the Mickey bands - just the 3-day ones? :confused3

Not a CM but they don't expire until 14 days after you first use them. So when you get the AAA tickets entered into MDE you will be showing 2 tickets. Prioritize them so that the AAA tickets are used first. Guest services can assist with this if you have difficulty.
Another option is not to enter them in MDE and use the tickets rather than your band when you enter the parks. The downside to this is that you will only be able to make FP in advance for 2 days rather than 3 .

My best advice:
If you're dying to ride Peter Pan's Flight, go in the line like 15 minutes before "Wishes!" The line goes down so much, but if you go right after it finishes, so does everyone else and all the people with any form of fastpass come too which brings up the wait time even more!

If you don't want your stroller moved try to fill in the empty spaces created my strollers that have been picked up! AND do park in designated stroller parking areas, CMs have to move strollers if they are not parked in designated areas. Also please be kind to those cast members at those areas, they are just doing their job, not trying to torture you. :)

Cast members LOVE to create magical moments, but if you're being rude we won't give you what you want!

Between 1-5 I would say is the busiest time of day and you'll only get about 2 or 3 attractions in if you are dedicated so if you're on Disney go home and rest and come back later and the wait times will be down and you'll be happier!

If you can tie a balloon to your stroller so then you can spot it from far away!

NEVER take the Ferry at TTC.

My best advice: If you're dying to ride Peter Pan's Flight, go in the line like 15 minutes before "Wishes!" The line goes down so much, but if you go right after it finishes, so does everyone else and all the people with any form of fastpass come too which brings up the wait time even more! If you don't want your stroller moved try to fill in the empty spaces created my strollers that have been picked up! AND do park in designated stroller parking areas, CMs have to move strollers if they are not parked in designated areas. Also please be kind to those cast members at those areas, they are just doing their job, not trying to torture you. :) Cast members LOVE to create magical moments, but if you're being rude we won't give you what you want! Between 1-5 I would say is the busiest time of day and you'll only get about 2 or 3 attractions in if you are dedicated so if you're on Disney go home and rest and come back later and the wait times will be down and you'll be happier! If you can tie a balloon to your stroller so then you can spot it from far away! NEVER take the Ferry at TTC.

Why never take the ferry at TTC?

To the CM here...

How do we recognize an outstanding CM?
Other than expressing our feelings directly to the CM...what else can be done at a higher level?
I'm sure we can speak with their manger..but still want to go above and beyond this.

Want to say we read something once about filling out a card at guest services?
And this would call attention to that CM and they get rewarded by management if a guest filled out such a card?
And a note was out into their employment file about high guest phrase.
Not sure if this is true...can't really find any info.

Regardless if we come across an amazing CM...we always send a letter post trip to Disney sharing our experience with that CM.
Just would,like to know if there's something we can do...that affects the CM in a positive way with management

As we think into today's world...not many people get recognized for,outstanding service.
But they certainly take a real bashing daily for negative experiences.

Not a CM but they don't expire until 14 days after you first use them. So when you get the AAA tickets entered into MDE you will be showing 2 tickets. Prioritize them so that the AAA tickets are used first. Guest services can assist with this if you have difficulty.
Another option is not to enter them in MDE and use the tickets rather than your band when you enter the parks. The downside to this is that you will only be able to make FP in advance for 2 days rather than 3 .

...great suggestion...I have one unanswered question to the CMs out there...if I do prioritize and never use those 2-day basic passes, can they be transferred to paper, or will I have to hold onto the bands for a future visit? :confused3

To the CM here...

How do we recognize an outstanding CM?
Other than expressing our feelings directly to the CM...what else can be done at a higher level?
I'm sure we can speak with their manger..but still want to go above and beyond this.

Want to say we read something once about filling out a card at guest services?
And this would call attention to that CM and they get rewarded by management if a guest filled out such a card?
And a note was out into their employment file about high guest phrase.
Not sure if this is true...can't really find any info.

Regardless if we come across an amazing CM...we always send a letter post trip to Disney sharing our experience with that CM.
Just would,like to know if there's something we can do...that affects the CM in a positive way with management

As we think into today's world...not many people get recognized for,outstanding service.
But they certainly take a real bashing daily for negative experiences.

the best way is to stop at quest services in the park you encountered the cm. example would be city hall in the mk. have the cms name and where they work and they will fill out a card for that cm. yes, they will hear about it and get a copy of he card. (dd has them) they do appreciate it. the card goes into there record and does help if they go for another role or position. its nice when people take time out of there vacation to help out someone who is doing a great job.alot of times we forget they are people. they are some ones mom,dad,son or daughter and are just trying to do a good job :thumbsup2

I have a question for the CMs who've been "friends" with Mickey or Minnie or who've worked alongside them.

A few years ago I had my picture taken with Mickey and he kissed my hand and then pretended to propose. I laughed and teased him that I wasn't sure Minnie would like that. The CM working with Mickey LOUDLY (like abnormally loudly) announced that Mickey and Minnie were just friends. Is this something CMs are told to make a point of saying? I know Mickey and Minnie often kiss, propose, etc... to people in their pictures.

I have a question for the CMs who've been "friends" with Mickey or Minnie or who've worked alongside them.

A few years ago I had my picture taken with Mickey and he kissed my hand and then pretended to propose. I laughed and teased him that I wasn't sure Minnie would like that. The CM working with Mickey LOUDLY (like abnormally loudly) announced that Mickey and Minnie were just friends. Is this something CMs are told to make a point of saying? I know Mickey and Minnie often kiss, propose, etc... to people in their pictures.
a close friend of dd who she danced with for 12 years (a great dancer by the way) is close to Minnie and also chip and dale.
that role is closely guarded. they do have "scripts" that they follow for obvious reasons. dd was a character attendant for a little while and the most I ever got out of her is they do use hand signals while on stage. I was told I ask to many questions and that she can tell me but then she would have to kill me.:lmao: when it comes to some things you may or may not get an answer and if you do get one, it would be hard to tell if it is true. the cms who are close to characters take there roles very seriously.

ambiancetc said:
I just finished reading this whole thread, what a wealth of information!

First a tip: FroggToggs Chilly Pads!!! You can get them at walmart. Yes, they are $13 but you can cut them in three strips and they are the perfect size for drapping around your neck/tying around a child's head. Our son has problems with the heat and these literally saved the trip for us! You dip them in water, wring them out and they keep you cool for 2 hours at a time in 90degree heat! Get a glass of water, dunk them in and start over after that!

Next a CM memory.(sorry long!) Our first trip was a wish trip so of course based on other's stories we expected there to be a LITTLE extra treatment of our SON. We really had no idea! The moment we walked in MK a CM saw the button and immediately walked right up to us, welcomed us and ask us to follow her for our free stroller for the girls. wow. Then she said she'd radio for someone to help us find City Hall for the wheelchair tag for our son's chair. The CM that came up was named Barbara and I'll never forget her. She acted like our family was royalty and whisked us away. Was saw we were heading toward City Hall but then we went past it, around and she opened a door and there was Rapunzel! :eek: (She had heard our girls asking us when we'd get to see her) I was so shocked I didn't even have their books ready or anything. But no fear Rapunzel walked over to us took all the time she wanted talking to the kids, asking them questions, answering theirs. Then she took them to the arbor for pictures and kept changing poses. I was crying for the joy on the kids faces. I turned around and that line must have been a mile long! *insert guilty feeling* It was me who finally pulled the kids away after what must have been 15minutes of interaction, the CM's literally acted like my kids were all there were. Then Barbara walked us over to get the wheelchair tag, their first visit buttons and again asked us to follow her, right over to have a private meet & greet with Mickey & Minnie! Again, no rush, all the time you need. She still wasn't finished though. Before she sent us on our own we saw Snow White, Cinderella, Belle & Aurora all in the span of an hour! She told us to always let the CM know we were a wish family before getting in ANY line so they could help us have a magical day. Her assistance showed us just how magical our day was going to be and we made sure to take a picture with her! (Wish I could figure out how to post!)Without her showing us the magic we would not have had such an amazing day. She cast the spell for our whole time at the parks. :wizard: ALL the CM's we saw showered us in pixie dust and I was wet eyed all day (I am NOT an emotional person by nature but this did it!) I SOOO wish I had thought/knew about the comment cards.

Doing anything with our son's equipment in tow is always a hassle which is why we'd stopped trying to take any vacation aside from family visits. DS always had to sit out, be left out. The CM's at Disney showed us it was possible to include him in everything, didn't stare, didn't roll their eyes at his needs and did everything possible to insure he was having a good time.(They even let us ride TSM 3 times in a row!) Our daughters were treated like real Princesses. It's because of the CM's that we are going back and will keep going back for as long as our son's health holds out. I had never seen him so happy and carefree.

We know the next trip will not be at the same level of "spoiled rotten" and we've been reminding the kids that we will be waiting in line like everyone else but reading this thread reminded me that it will still be magical, because the CM's will still be smiling and talking to us and will still not stare or make DS's needs feel like a burden. Love the CM's!:love:

This is my first post here on The Dis.
I couldn't just pass this post by though, what a wonderful story!! I have tears in my eyes from reading this, thank you so much for sharing and thank you to all the CM!! :)

I still have chills after reading your story, ambiencetc. I'm thrilled that you & your family got to experience such a wonderful trip. Thank you for sharing with us; and may you continue to experience such wonderful moments with your family - wherever they may be.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter