Tomato plant question

Rhonda

<marquee><font color=red>Quote of the Day: <font
Hi! My first post here on the Garden forum! :goodvibes

I planted some tomato plants in big pots on the patio a few weeks ago. The plants seem to be doing very well! Getting really big!

My problem is...they get flowers, then after a couple of days the flowers wither up and die. No tomatoes.

I'm giving them Miracle Gro every 10 days or so, and watering them regularly. They were in mostly shade, but then I moved them to the sun to see if that would help, but there's no change.

It is very hot here (90s) but these plants were advertised as being good in the heat.

I also have pepper plants and some herbs in the same pots. The herbs are doing great, but the pepper plants are doing the same thing as the tomatoes. Flowers that die, with no peppers.

Any ideas for me?

Thanks!

This is what I found on the web...hope it helps

My tomato plants look great. They are dark green, vigorous and healthy. However, flowers are not forming any fruit. What is the problem?

A. Several conditions can cause tomatoes to not set fruit. Too much nitrogen fertilizer, nighttime temperatures over 70 degrees F., low temperatures below 50 degrees F., irregular watering, insects such as thrips or planting the wrong variety may result in poor fruit set. Any of these conditions can cause poor fruit set, but combinations can cause failures. If Extension recommended varieties are used , the main reason tomato plants do not set fruit is because they are not planted where they can receive 8-10 hours of direct sunlight daily. Any less direct sunlight will result in a spindly growing, nonproductive plant with healthy foliage.

Thanks! It could be because it's not getting under 70 degrees here at night lately. I guess we'll just give it more time and see what happens! :)

I would also wonder if they're being pollinated. There are areas in which there aren't many bees around, and I know that incomplete pollination can cause distorted fruit, and with squash a plant that isn't pollinated will bloom, but will drop the bud before it starts to form into a fruit. Have you noticed bees around your plants?

Is the Miracle Grow one for vegetables? I think you may be giving too much fertilizer.

Bobbi:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter