• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Too much cilantro?

Sarahslay

DIS Veteran
Bit of an odd question here. I am taking my mom to WDW in May and she said she wanted to try Spice Road Table, I had never eaten there (surprisingly one of the few places left) so I agreed and booked so we can watch Illuminations from there. The problem is that my mom HATES cilantro and I've been hearing that their dishes are cilantro heavy. Has anyone eaten there that might be able to tell me if this is true or not? I don't really care either way for cilantro, but my mom has stated she might not want to eat there if it's too much, but also doesn't want to miss out on trying some new food *sigh*. She hasn't been to WDW in 10 or so years, and has never eaten TS there before, so I'm trying to let her experience some good stuff and don't want this to cause any issues.

Thanks!

We were there in December and the man despises cilantro; guess he's one of those people who's palate reads soap when he eats food with that herb?
He avoided the hummus fries since the menu clearly states cilantro is used and shared appetizers of fish croquettes, garlic shrimp and a tuna entree with me.
We loved our meal there and will surely return at some point.

I can't stand cilantro either! When we ate here I had the lamb sliders and hummus fries. I like hummus so I took a shot. I didn't taste any cilantro at all. Not sure if it's cause it was all mixed in and then fried so it lost it's normal flavor or if they just don't use a lot like more cuisines tend to go cilantro heavy. I think your mom will be good.

My sister hates cilantro and she hasn't had any issues with the steak or the mixed grill skewers. I don't know about other items.

I wonder if you can request no cilantro? I would guess it's easy to do.

I'm also a "super taster" so cilantro tastes like soap to me. It's very common for those with more taste buds than normal, or more sensitive ones.

I adore cilantro and I'm one of those people who loves it heaped on my food.

However, if you don't like it, you can order without cilantro and they shouldn't include it. In some cases, it might be difficult, but anything they put fresh cilantro on, you shouldn't get any on it at all.

My Mom orders things "without" all the time, at home and at Disney, and rarely at Disney has she ever had an issue. Usually, it's fresh cucumber and fresh tomato that she asks to be excluded or at least, set on the side. So, no bruschetta, no tzatziki, no tomato slices, etc.

I wonder if you can request no cilantro? I would guess it's easy to do.

I'm also a "super taster" so cilantro tastes like soap to me. It's very common for those with more taste buds than normal, or more sensitive ones.

That's so weird. My mom is also a "super taster" and she absolutely loves and cannot get enough cilantro. It doesn't taste like soap to her, although she hates this one sub shop near us because she swears the lettuce tastes like soap. She can't stand things like blue cheese (as dressing, yes, but not the cheese itself), green olives, etc because they're too sharp.

The cilantro tasting like soap to some people is due to a genetic variation, not anything to do with taste buds. It's an olfactory ability to strongly perceive aldehydes, which are prevalent in cilantro, and which taste like soap.

Wow that is cool! I am a super taster, but my sister and I both can't stand cilantro. I can't stand anything salty usually (unlike my husband who heaps it on). I don't even salt hard boiled eggs; love them plain.

I'm sure they will leave it off anything though!

Wow that is cool! I am a super taster, but my sister and I both can't stand cilantro. I can't stand anything salty usually (unlike my husband who heaps it on). I don't even salt hard boiled eggs; love them plain.

I'm sure they will leave it off anything though!

My son is a super taster but he loves cilantro and salty food. He's also loves sour flavors. He doesn't like anything that has a bitter flavor, at ALL. He won't eat ANY vegetables. All he tastes is the bitterness. And he is super sensitive to sweet. He can't eat fruit that is too ripe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter