too much time missed from school?

dbal

Mouseketeer
Here is my dilemma: Our last trip to Disney was Oct. 2000. We were planning our next trip either late 02 or early 03. It will be myself dh, and 4 dds. Ages 13 to 1 yr. We didn't make ressies yet. Heres the problem- just found out that our 2 oldest girl's mother is taking them the 1st week in Oct. (my stepdaughters) So do you think 2 weeks broken up is too much time off of school? We really don't want to go in the summer. We are all so excited to go again and soon, but I'd like to hear some of your opinions.

Are you thinking about Dec 02 / Jan 03? It's a good time of year to go, school-wise. They are wrapping up lots of things before Xmas break. Maybe even go during Xmas Break?!?!?!?

Try going during a long weekend, so if you go a week, it's really only 4 missed school days. Crowds tend to by greater during long weekends, but it's a trade off.

Ask the teachers their opinions.

We took dd out of school last April during "Education Week" at school. It's a no-brainer week ~ LOL ~ at school. They pick a theme and do it. This year it's reading. dd reads a lot and the teacher says her marks are great so we are going again this year during Education Week.

Vacations are educational too! Life experience and time with your family is more meaningful and will create memories! Just think of dd's when they are 25 years old and look back at this time. They will remember a wonderful vacation with family, I doubt they'll remember what their mark was in Math!

ENJOY! LIFE IS TOOOOOOO SHORT AND SERIOUS! Make the best of it and have lots of LAUGHS! Sandra

That's a tough one! We think going during the school year is so worth it ,but missing two weeks for vacations makes me a little nervious. Ask yourself a couple questions. Do the kids tend to get sick and miss much school during the year? How are their grades? What grades will they be in? The older they are the harder it is to catch up. How strict is your school policy on absence? I agree with Sandra C. that finding a week that the kids will be out a couple of days anyway is a good idea but avoid times that all the other school will be out too, examble, christmas or Thanksgiving.They will be worse than the Summer! Even though you have to keep all this is mind, don't forget how important your family is. They will love a trip with mom, but your family deserves that special bonding time too. You will make the decision that is right for your family.

Jordan's mom

The December Holiday time is extremely crowded. If you don't do well with mega-crowds you may not want to go at that time...

Having been in education for years, I'm not a supporter of family vacations during the school year. I believe it conveys an upside-down set of priorities to children: its alright if you miss school to go on vacation. So much for the developing work ethic!

I agree with the comments by Jordan's Mom about grades and illness histories. If the children are "good students" and are fine academically, taking a few days off will not adversely impact their achievement. However, if the children struggle academically the time off will be detrimental.

I know my 2 daughters, even in the relative warmth of North Carolina, take off several days each winter just for illnesses. And some winters are worse than others (like this one). So, its difficult to predict how much time will be missed when sick.

So, I believe you have a lot to consider!

Happy thinking!

:D

This year my first grader and pre-schooler missed Monday of Thanksgiving week (the other four days everyone was off) and 3 days in January. We really tried to work around the holidays, even going to WDW during our Spring Break (week before Easter-ugghhh!!) to avoid missing school.

January we FROZE (and we're from Chicago!), and Spring Break was soo crowded...we have decided that next year, we'll go in October, during a week that they will only miss 3 days, and early March, also missing three days.

I do agree that you should try to work around school vacations, and take into consideration whether or not your children will be affected by missing these days. This is a tough decision.:)

We took our daughter out in November, 01 for three days (worked around Veteran's Day and a Teacher Institute Day) and we're taking her out again in May for a total of ten days. I was a little apprehensive about taking her out again, but her teacher was very supportive. She's getting excellent marks in school and her teacher said we would work something out for missed homework. She's also only missed a couple of days this year due to illness. It's ultimately up to you. I know that most teachers understand, even if they give you a little bit of a hard time about, and the best thing is to make arrangements ahead of time for missed assignments. I don't think two weeks (broken up) is too much time off.

My dd got an A+ in Social Studies ( a very rare mark, says the teacher). dd's teacher said the mark reflects her school work and the extra activities that dd enjoys with the family. We frequent the museum, zoos, cultural events ~ yes even during school days. dd also got high marks in English and History ~ she loves Pioneer Studies so we do lots of trips to Pioneer Villages too! We take her out of school for Disney. It's a part of her learning. Besides dd is 8 years old with 3 heart operations behind her. We know the value of FAMILY TIME when we don't expect QUANTITY of time. Sandra

As a teacher, I think two weeks out of school is way too much! The 13-year old, I assume, is in high school -- they cover a great deal of material in two weeks of high school!

I probably shouldn't comment here because I home school my children and so we go whenever we want to and don't have to worry about them missing something at school. But I'll put my 2 cents in anyway.
My observation is that we tend to remember that "Dad wasn't at the first soccer game" and "Uncle John didn't make it to my birthday party", etc. What no one can seem to remember is what was so important that kept these people away from important family events! My point is this. You and your daughters will not remember what it was that went on at school the week they would have been on vacation with you. If you go, they have the opportunity to create life long memories of wonderful family moments. Will an extra week out of school mean that your dd's grow up to be horrible people? No. Will it mean you may have the chance to have some quality family time? Absolutely.
As for the message you're sending them, instead of viewing it as a message of poor work ethic, couldn't it also be viewed as a message of "family first"?
Of course if your dd's are failing in school, then taking them out is probably a bad idea. Too many days out really could have negative long-term consequences.
I just suggest that you look at how you believe your decision will be viewed over the long term, and make it accordingly. ("Do you remember the year we took TWO weeks off school to go to WDW???")
Best of luck and God bless you.

I have to say I agree wholeheartedly with pwoodham, I have great memories of family vacations. I remember times when my Mom would show up at school at lunch time and would take me out to lunch or to the mall or movies or just to hang out, she did this at least once a month with me and once a month with my brother it was great to have that time with her. My parents were known to start packing after we left for school on a Thurs and when they were done come to pick us up at school and take us to the Smokey Mtns., Opryland, the beach for the weekend.
As for school, I have no memory. :-0

Angela

I would say go for it!!We took our kids out of school for 2 weeks in Feb.(it was almost to the end of the second term).My two oldest are in grade 2 and 4.The teachers had alot of notice and prepared homework,and we caught up with the rest when we returned.My dd in gr2 is not a strong student and I was concerned,but she did fine.The teacher was great and assured me she would be fine.The family time is great and Disney has alot of educational things for the kids(Epcot is great)My kids also missed school around the same time due to pneumonia and chicken pox!!!You just have to take it all in stride and help them catch up after.I know my daughters missed some extra activities when they returned (soccer and guides)to catch up on their work and just rest.Enjoy the time with them and because it will only be a week they will not miss too much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter