Torn between going where I love and trying a new resort.

Treysar

Mouseketeer
I love Fort Wilderness so much that I’m afraid to try something else.

My other possible choices are POR, AOA or CB.

What are your thoughts? I’d love to hear other opinions.

A quick note about us. Family of 5, 2 are autistic, kids will be ages 12,11,11. We rent a golf cart at the fort. We are undecided about food plan. Visiting December 2020.

Thanks!

Do your kids still like characters? If so, the suites at AOA are so much fun. We stayed in a Cars Suite when my kids were 12, 10, and 7.

Especially with 2 of your kids on the spectrum, you might get better advice if you share what's important for your family to enjoy their stay. One of mine is on the spectrum and has other special needs. The main considerations for us are that it's quiet enough for him to sleep well (sleep disorder), waits for food aren't too long, and he can get a seat on the bus (due to a motor planning disorder, but from a practical sense 1 bus stop and no bus sharing at peak transportation times).

I’m not gonna lie, Fort Wilderness is awesome and perhaps my most favorite place to stay. That being said, there are only two of us most of the time and so it’s a bit of a splurge for a cabin for just us two so we tend to stay at POR which I love as well. POR would be my husband’s favorite. However, if you like the quietness of Fort Wilderness I just don’t feel that can be captured quite the same anywhere else, but POR is much quieter than most resorts and we absolutely love Yeeha Bob!

Do your kids still like characters? If so, the suites at AOA are so much fun. We stayed in a Cars Suite when my kids were 12, 10, and 7.

Especially with 2 of your kids on the spectrum, you might get better advice if you share what's important for your family to enjoy their stay. One of mine is on the spectrum and has other special needs. The main considerations for us are that it's quiet enough for him to sleep well (sleep disorder), waits for food aren't too long, and he can get a seat on the bus (due to a motor planning disorder, but from a practical sense 1 bus stop and no bus sharing at peak transportation times).
We need to have access to pizza, pancakes or waffles. That’s a big one. We make a lot of noise, so we need thick walls or patient neighbors. Waiting for busses may be hard but we have done it before and I think it’s doable. I’d like to be able to get to food easily or quickly.

AoA. Food court with required foods. Skyliner to CBR, then Epcot or DHS. I know you love the cabins, but the only advantage really is no adjoining rooms, so quiet.

We are fortunate enough to get the military discount, but availability is hit-or-miss for specific resorts. So DW calls WDW and takes what she can find. We love the Contemporary, AoA, and Pop, and have pretty much managed to stay there most every time. But not long ago she called me at worked bummed: "All I could get was POFQ." Ugh, I'm not a fan of Mardis Gras, and I hate purple and green. Wow. Was I blown away! We LOVED POFQ! It is now our second most favorite resort behind the Contemporary.

Then we had an identical experience with Boardwalk. I'm not a turn-of-the-century era fan, and would far prefer something contemporary. Again: Blown away and now love Boardwalk.

You're still young. Experiment a little.

French Quarter is by far my favorite hotel but we like to change things around and try new places, this can backfire however. I ttok the girls to Animal Kingdom Lodge last year and they have informed me that they are forevermore Deluxe Girls. Of your choices AoA looks the most interesting for children.

If you are used to the space at Ft. W, I would not do POR or CBR. AoA's walls are paper thin, so if you make a lot of noise, the chances of disturbing your neighbors is quite high. I would stick with Ft. W.

I would stick with Ft. Wilderness. For your kiddos on the spectrum, familiarity is important as you know. Quiet and beautiful! Just my 2 cents

I haven’t stayed at any of the resorts you are considering and can’t personally relate to your family situation, but I can tell you that it is possible to love more than one resort. When I am not staying at one of my favorite resorts, I will still visit them during my trip, usually for a meal and a walk around the resort.

Like a lot of people, my family has a favorite resort as well. We have stayed at a number of different resorts due to different reasons. Some we have liked and some not so much. You tend to always lean toward what you love and trying something new is fun sometimes (if it works for your crew). With that being said, since we have tried some different places, we now just stick with what we love. I like to know that when I spend that kind of money, i'm going to love my resort.

If you are going to be concerned about disturbing your neighbors, you may want to stick with the Fort. It’s ideal for both families that want quiet and families that like to make noise. I have not met a Disney hotel yet, even at the deluxe or DVC level, where I couldn’t hear noisy neighbors, and not everyone is patient or understanding. You want to be able to relax on vacation.

The Fort is also so much fun during the holidays, with all the decorations. With the full kitchen you can have necessary foods on hand. The kitchenette at AoA is not as practical, especially if you are used to utilizing the freezer.

Have the kids expressed an interest in staying at another resort? Can they participate in the decision? I have mixed it up resort wise, and occasionally found myself in a resort that wasn’t a good fit. That makes for a less than pleasant vacation as well.

I hope you have a great trip, whatever you decide :)

If your family makes a lot of noise and you need a quiet space, I would stay away from AoA (noisy and over stimulating) POR and CBR (paper thin walls, small rooms). Personally, if looking to try something new I would consider renting points for a studio at OKW, or a treehouse, or a cabin at WL.
Otherwise, staying at a place that is familiar, works well for your family and that you love, is never a bad idea.

Have a great time!

Honestly, I would stick with the cabins. If noise is a concern for you, you are going to be miserable in a room that has paper thin walls. Even if your neighbors are fine with the noise level, will you be? If you are worried about it you will be hypersensitive, and that is no way to enjoy a vacation with your family.

I think the space, the quiet and the familiar souroundings will be a respite from the Holiday crush throughout the rest of the World, and you will still get to enjoy the Holiday trappings. The campers decorate the Fort, and touring it is one of the most fun wagon rides we have ever had.

With a family of 5 at those ages and a bit of special needs thrown in - cabins at FW, family suite at AoA, or treehouse at SSR.

AoA will be noisier - and I'd suggest either Lion King or Cars - not the Nemo suites. Your neighbors will hear you more - but if you try requesting the end of the hall - that might help. The biggest noise problems we've found at AoA is when kids are noisy in the hall. So - if you can manage to keep the kids in the room with the door shut - I think the suite set up does help insulate your noise from the neighbors a bit.

At the treehouses - I do strongly recommend a car. I've been there once - and I won't stay there again without a car. While we found Disney transportation to be reliable from there - it's just takes FOREVER to get anywhere on the buses/walking.

I don't think you want to try one of the "rooms designed for 4 converted to 5" - I think that's going to feel too small for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter