Totally confusing myself...

Avery&Todd

DIS Veteran
I have a question about using points for an upcoming stay.....I know this is asked a lot and I thought I had it straight in my brain but I keep confusing myself...

I have 250 pts for a September use year.

I currently have these points:
1711375283689.png

If I want book a trip for this August (2024), I can use all 80 of my 2024 points, but can I borrow some from 2025?

I feel like in my DVC spreadsheet my breakdown to myself is that the 2024 points come to me Sept 1st for trips Sept 1, 2024 and beyond and therefore if I tried to use them before Sept. 1st 2024 I would be borrowing them anyway and therefore can't "double borrow" from the 250 pts in 2025...

RIGHT???

Thanks!!

Your Sept, 2023 UY had points good to use for reservations from Sept 1, 2023 through August 31, 2024. You have no points left in UY 2023, so you could only BORROW the 80 points from UY 2024 (available to you Sept 1, 2024) for an August 2024 trip. As of August, 2024, you're still in the UY 2023. The 250 points in UY 2025 are not accessible yet. As of Sept 1, 2024, you'll then be in UY 2024, and only then could directly use UY 2024 points, and also borrow from UY 2025.

Hope I didn't make it more complicated!

Your Sept, 2023 UY had points good to use for reservations from Sept 1, 2023 through August 31, 2024. You have no points left in UY 2023, so you could only BORROW the 80 points from UY 2024 (available to you Sept 1, 2024) for an August 2024 trip. As of August, 2024, you're still in the UY 2023. The 250 points in UY 2025 are not accessible yet. As of Sept 1, 2024, you'll then be in UY 2024, and only then could directly use UY 2024 points, and also borrow from UY 2025.

Hope I didn't make it more complicated!
Yes!! That's totally what I was thinking and that matches to what notes I have on my DVC spreadsheet..

But then I started over-thinking things and totally confused myself!!

Thank you for confirming my thoughts!!

Rule #1 for DVC - do not over-think the points!! Easier said than done!
OK - one more question...here I am thinking outside the box and making my life more complicated!!

If I book a few nights using my 80 pts and buying one-time-use-points from Disney and then book a night or 2 with cash - the same room type (I need 4 nights total) can those 2 reservations be linked/combined so that I dont have to switch rooms?

Not my area - perhaps someone else can help. The OTU points question is simple - you can buy up to 25 of them at 7 months to add to your current 80 (and if you're talking Aug, 24, you're already < 7 months). I've not done a points/cash reservation like you're considering. If 105 points isn't enough for your reservation, you'll have to get creative!

If everything is through DVC they can combine however I am not sure how the cash reservations work I did it once for a relative over 15 years ago when they ran a special. I gave them some points and paid cash for one or 2 other nights all was the same. You could also see if someone will rent and transfer the needed points.

Not my area - perhaps someone else can help. The OTU points question is simple - you can buy up to 25 of them at 7 months to add to your current 80 (and if you're talking Aug, 24, you're already < 7 months). I've not done a points/cash reservation like you're considering. If 105 points isn't enough for your reservation, you'll have to get creative!
WAIT...my last note on my DVC spreadsheet said I could only buy 24 pts, but its now 25 pts? I did see a reservation for 105 pts that would work for me but I was thinking it was only 24 pts I could buy so that meant I would only have 104 pts....1 point short.

OK - maybe someone can chime in with knowledge if I can/can't link 2 reservations....

WAIT...my last note on my DVC spreadsheet said I could only buy 24 pts, but its now 25 pts? I did see a reservation for 105 pts that would work for me but I was thinking it was only 24 pts I could buy so that meant I would only have 104 pts....1 point short.

OK - maybe someone can chime in with knowledge if I can/can't link 2 reservations....
You cannot link a point stay with a cash stay, but you can have a note put on the reservation that it is a continuing stay, they'll try to leave you in the same room if they are in the same booking category, but there is no guarantee.

Just wanted to say, I totally understand you. I just wrote to DVC, about filling a waitlist but not sure if I points were borrowed or not.

I have a Dec use year, so the year is almost done before I get the points.

Love DVC, but can be confusing at times.

Do you really want to spend $20x24 points?
Maybe just bank them and add 80 to your next trip?

Maybe another DVC member can transfer points to you? (i have none, but maybe somebody else does?)
I have 4 points going to waste, & I bet there are others in the same boat.

Do you really want to spend $20x24 points?
Maybe just bank them and add 80 to your next trip?

I have 4 points going to waste, & I bet there are others in the same boat.
Well, the 80 pts I wanted to use for a trip in August.....and I can't touch the 2025 pts until September..

Im in chats with another fabulous member about their points - stay tuned!!! Hopefully the August trip will be booked soon!!

Well, the 80 pts I wanted to use for a trip in August.....and I can't touch the 2025 pts until September..

Im in chats with another fabulous member about their points - stay tuned!!! Hopefully the August trip will be booked soon!!
Great, let me know.
Can't you borrow whatever you need from 2025.. or no?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter