Totally new to me- how does free dining for 2020 work?

Nic119

Earning My Ears
So we have been to Disney almost every year with our kids but I’ve always stayed off property, this is the first year that we’ve decided to possibly stay at the Polynesian . So we have never needed a meal plan before. I’m reading about free dining for 2020 and wondering how it works . Do you just continue to check the website constantly and when it comes out you need to call immediately . How fast does it sell out?We are looking to come August 2020 and hoping to get it for our stay but want to make sure I’m doing it correctly. Any tips?

First, the offer has to be announced. Rumors every year that there will be fewer/no discounts the following year.
Second, phone lines as the website will be BUSY! You need patience and staying power.
Third, there may be limited availability, which may or may not increase later.
Fourth, you need to be flexible. Some resorts are never included, or may not be available for specific dates.
Fifth, different resort levels may include different dining plans.
Finally, please do not book a package of room now with the intention of switching to a Dining Plan Free later; promotions are intended to increase bookings, so if a property already meets/exceeds projected occupancy levels, it will probably not be included.

And sixth - remember that "Free" dining just means you pay FULL rack rate for your room (no room discounts can apply) and you must include park tickets in your package. Make sure that the value you would get from the "free" dining isn't offset by the additional costs. Sometimes the room discounts + paying out of pocket save more money than the "free" dining offers :)

Adding to the park tickets the PP above mentions. The free dining offers in the recent past state you have to buy tickets with park hopper. If you were not planning on purchasing that type of ticket, the free dining offer might be a saving wash. You really do have to do the math. You might be better off with the room discount as opposed to free dining + paying for tickets with park hopper.

Free Dining is a very specific offer. You must book a package reservation including the room and dining, plus tickets (including park hopper). There will be a ticket minimum. These days it's usually 3 to 4 days. If you were staying longer than that and you already wanted length of stay park hopper tickets, it won't be a problem.

You'll be paying full rack rate for your room, the dining plan will be your discount. make sure you check for other discounts, especially for a deluxe resort.

You must be checking in on a date that applies to the promotion. If your stay is August 15-25 and the free dining offer is good for check-ins starting August 16, you're not eligible. Also, not all resorts or room categories within resorts may be equally eligible. To get the discount, you might end up having to change dates or resorts on the fly.

So we have been to Disney almost every year with our kids but I’ve always stayed off property, this is the first year that we’ve decided to possibly stay at the Polynesian . So we have never needed a meal plan before. I’m reading about free dining for 2020 and wondering how it works . Do you just continue to check the website constantly and when it comes out you need to call immediately . How fast does it sell out?We are looking to come August 2020 and hoping to get it for our stay but want to make sure I’m doing it correctly. Any tips?
Last year fd for August became available to book at the beginning of January. So start looking for it then. Previous years the offer didn’t come out til the end of April.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter