Touring with 2 kids 1 parent - how to do rides?

Kanga&TwoRoos

Mouseketeer
Hi all,
My husband has the opportunity to go to a conference at the Contemporary and I'm trying to figure out if it would be worthwhile to go. He'll be busy during the day. Here are my concerns:
- Doing rides with a 7 year old and a 5 year old (almost 6 - he'll be two days shy of his birthday). Most rides are configured for two people to sit next to each other, how would this work in our situation? I think the 7 year old is technically old enough to ride by herself, but I don't know how comfortable she would be with that or how fun it would be for her to be by herself in the rides all day.
- The conference is a Tuesday-Thursday near the mid-end of May. I don't love the idea of the kids missing school and it being Tuesday-Thursday is the worst option it could be for that. There's so much going on at the end of the school year.

On the other hand - it's a free room at the Contemporary! And they're just in Kindergarten and 1st grade and both doing fine in school.

Any thoughts or tips?

Thanks!

Would the 7 year old and 5 year old be able to ride together with me in the next row?
probably not. per the Disney Mom panel:
As for the attractions they basically do not have an age limit although no child under the age of seven can ride unaccompanied no matter if they meet the height requirement. So if you have children 7 and under they will have to wait until you can ride with them or another guest who is 14 and older. When you have a seven year old this can be different at each attraction if the cast member asks for the age. But please remember that the rules are in place for safety and enjoyment for the guests so it is to your benefit that they ask and adhere to the policies in place.

So, a 7yr can ride in front of you and the 5yo will ride with you.

Would the 7 year old and 5 year old be able to ride together with me in the next row?

Yes. I did this with my 6 and 4 year old with no problems. The rule is that you must be in the same car as them; not sat next to them. So on SDD and 7DMT you can sit however you decide so long as you're within the same car. My two also took turns riding in the row in front alone without any problems. The only ride we had a problem was Barnstormer as each row is a separate car.

Thanks for the responses! This seems much more doable. There might be some rides we need to save for when my husband is available (Barnstormer was one of our favorites last time!) but that's ok.

Keep in mind that most dark rides are capable of seating three across(especially an adult and two kids) as are Big Thunder and Splash. At MK, the ones that will be an issue are the Barnstormer and 7 Dwarfs. I don't think there any that will cause any issues at Epcot or AK. At HS, all the toy story rides are really made for two as is Rockin Roller Coaster. Otherwise I think you're fine.

I would 100% do it. If you’re not comfortable with the seating arrangement, it’s only 3 days. You can very easily fill those 3 days with rides you guys can all sit together on and some character meets.

So many rides can be sat 3 across. Barnstormer you are all so close, would your 7 year old ride right in front of you and 5 year old? Same with 7 dwarves? If they are both tall enough for space mountain you have to ride each in your own seat anyway.

I cant think of anything else that couldnt be ridden 3 in a seat at MK. What other parks would you go to?

Keep in mind that most dark rides are capable of seating three across(especially an adult and two kids) as are Big Thunder and Splash. At MK, the ones that will be an issue are the Barnstormer and 7 Dwarfs. I don't think there any that will cause any issues at Epcot or AK. At HS, all the toy story rides are really made for two as is Rockin Roller Coaster. Otherwise I think you're fine.
In toy story land you can do 3 in aliens swirling saucer and TSMM although in that one only 2 will get a gun. But it is allowed to put 3 in there. I just always am the one that has to forgo playing 😆

Go for it and have a great time. There are lot and of single parents that take young kids to Disney. As long as you are with the kids, and ride with them, you are good!! I would sit them together and ride behind them. Personally, I would skip RnRC and space Mountain always have me anxiety with little ones, but it all depends on your comfort level.

Another idea would be to try to “pair up” with another family in line. I only have 1 child and he always wants to sit next to daddy on rides. I’d be happy to sit next to a child on a ride.

Go for it! There aren't a lot of rides where it will actually be an issue.

And, unless your school has a strict written policy, I wouldn't worry about a couple of days at that age. Just explain the opportunity to their teachers, and ask what topics they are planning on covering those days and what you can do to keep them up. - Most will say things like having your first grader keep a journal of the trip and having your kindergartener practice reading easy words/finding specific letters on signs while you're in line. They will probably both have math papers to catch up on when they get back, but some teachers will be able to give you those in advance, and you can use them to pass the time on the plane.

* Please don't be mad if they can't though - some schools don't allow it. (And if they do give you stuff, make sure your kids do it and return it!)

Keep in mind that most dark rides are capable of seating three across(especially an adult and two kids) as are Big Thunder and Splash.

I'm in the same situation and I was wondering about Splash in particular. Is it possible to fit 3 in a row? It would be me, DS4 and DD8.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter