Trader Sam's a major disappointment this trip...

LisaDKG

A little obsessed...
I thought I was working with current information that the wait list went live at 2 pm - meaning you had to be at the doors to Trader Sam's Grog Grotto so that someone manning the hostess desk could put your name on a list even though they don't open the venue until 3 pm. Well, we got there at 2 pm (we were staying at Bay Lake) and there was only another couple ahead of us who said that the door was locked and they were waiting for a hostess to come out. Finally at 2:20, someone came out and told us that the wait time was already 2.5 to 3 hours from 3 pm on!

If it had just been my husband and I we would absolutely have bailed but we were with our adult children (party of 4 adults in total) and it was the first time we were there with our daughter since she had turned 21. We have been coming to Trader Sam's at both Wdw and Disneyland since they opened, with and without our kids, and we have lots of fond memories and quite a collection of their tiki mugs. The last time all 4 of us went was August 2022 and we had a great time and had fairly good service. My daughter was ready with her ID and she and my 23 y/o son had already decided they were going to share the Uh-Oha cocktail as it comes with a great interaction when ordered.

We had prepared ourselves for a wait with our only plan that night to make it to MK for the 9pm fireworks, so we added our name and walked about the lobby and the grounds and the stores, and to check out the new Poly tower construction and then sat outside the quick service location waiting for the text that our table was available. My husband went back to the hostess stand after 2.5 hours had passed just to make sure we hadn't been skipped or missed a text (we are Canadian and I am always concerned that our phone number doesn't 'work' for these types of messages even though it always does.) The hostess apologized and said they had lots of big tables that night and they were turning tables slower than expected and that they had actually started taking names on the waiting list at 1:15 that day. I don't know if that's the new sign up time or if it was just for that day?

We should have bailed then but it was really the number one priority for both my kids when I asked specifically what they wanted to revisit this trip.

Finally after 3.25 hours of waiting we were texted and shown to our spot by one of the friendlier hostesses - to the hightop table in the center of the space with the stool, except all of the stools were in a row on one side of the table! After waiting that long, I definitely wanted to be able to look across and talk to the rest of my party so I said we'd wait for another table and we went back outside to the hallway. 30 more minutes passed (a bridal shower party of 6 were also waiting for a better table ahead of us) and we got called back inside. We had to squeeze past a party of 4 who were being insulted by a different hostess that they should have read up about the waiting system and that if they wanted a drink with an interactive atmosphere they had to follow the rules.

We were shown to a small table right by the door but at least we all had a seat and could look at each other while enjoying our time.

I have always felt that the waitstaff were hired here to suit had a certain 'type' - a little bit surly, and exclusivist like they were actually pretty lucky to have stumbled on to this place but I always wrote it off as part of the charm? and felt that it IS quite a bit exclusive because it is not that well known, there are so few tables and you get yummy-ish drinks AND a fun show. And the very last time my husband and I visited we sat at the bar and were greatly entertained by the bartender whose name I believe is Dustin. I always figured that it was a bit like 50s Prime Time Cafe or Whispering Canyon where you should probably be on board with a little bit of fun 'admonishment' by the wait staff or pick another place to dine at.

We already knew what we were getting (all of the 5 appetizers, and then each our cocktails) so we waited with our menus closed for our waitress. Her name was Valerie/Valery? and we could see that she was pretty busy moving between her section and the back and the computer and the bar all and another table to our left while avoiding any of our attempts at eye contact or flagging her down. There were 2 other tables in her section piled high with glass and plateware and sticky tables. It took 15 minutes for her to glance over and say she'd be with us in a minute and then another 5 until she came over.

If I was reading this review, I'd think we were crazy people to still be committed to this experience but my kids were so invested, we had already waited so long and at this point I wanted to ride it out and see if anything could be done to redeem the evening. For what it's worth, we counted 5 hostesses working that night, 2 bartenders and then 2 waitresses. I used to be a waitress myself for 5 years and I'm always taking stock of the staff and vibe of restaurants. In the past, I've found Trader Sam's to be chaotic but I always chalked this up to part of the atmosphere. I could see that the 2 waitresses were responsible for running their own food from the kitchens and drinks from the bar as well as bussing their own tables. The people at the bar were having a great time as Dustin was there again but we could see lots of other tables either waiting with menus to order or waiting to pay their bills. As I said, a few tables were empty and really dirty. Our own table was sticky from the previous occupants. Not a single one of the 5 hostesses ever cleared or cleaned a table the entire time we were there. I can't quite fathom why there were 5 of them and no bussing staff at all.

When we finally had Valery come over to take our orders, I asked if there was any special drink being offered that night, not on the menu, since we had tried most of them in the past. She replied "If you think I'm going to list off all the Secret Menu drinks out there on the internet you're crazy", which for one, was not what I asked as a 'special' and a 'secret drink' are different in my opinion and two, made me feel really embarrassed that I even had dared to ask a question.

Once we ordered, we watched a bit of the antics and I could see our drinks sitting at the bar waiting to be delivered. She brought mine over first - both mine and my husband's were drinks that didn't have interactions associated with them and then 5 minutes later she brought over the Uh-Oha and did the spiel. The Uh-Oha probably has the most involved interaction and my kids were happy that they had ordered it. Unfortunately, my husband's drink sat at the bar and wasn't served for another 10 minutes, just as our food started to arrive from the kitchen. We had 4 out of the 5 dishes arrive and the wee table was so crowded we had to hold our drinks in one hand. We thought they were just staggering the dishes due to space but we finished all 4 before Valery came over to see how we were doing. We had actually wanted another order of potstickers and we also mentioned that we were missing the lettuce cups from our first order. She looked at her list and said "Well that's because I didn't order those. Must have missed them". My daughter asked for a new set of chopsticks as hers had dropped and we also asked for a round of water. The last 2 dishes were delivered in about 5 minutes by someone from the kitchen and we never saw Valery for about 10 minutes after that. No waters, no chopsticks and when she did reappear, she had our bill in her hand. She left all the plates and glasses piledup on our table and walked away and I had to write out the bill in my lap. She disappeared again and we didn't see her before leaving.

I'm going to write an email to the manager? head of restaurants? with the same details I've written out here but I wanted to pass our experience on to these boards as well. This place is sadly off our list as I'm still in complete shock at the amount of time and money we wasted that evening ($154.43). Normally we love our time at all the lounges at Disney, as they are unique, with great service and unique small plates. Sam's has been our go to on trips with and without our kids and we have have lots of memories and souvenir cups but I'm done with feeling like I'm doing them a favor drinking and eating there.

Does anyone know to whom exactly I should direct my email?

Thanks in advance!

We have never been fortunate enough to get in Trader Sam’s in WDW, but we did enjoy Trader Sam’s in Disneyland twice in the same week. They opened at 11:00 AM in California. We got there 15 minutes before and had our choice of tables both times. We had great waiters and an entertaining bartender.

After reading this review, I wouldn’t bother with the one in WDW.

We have never been fortunate enough to get in Trader Sam’s in WDW, but we did enjoy Trader Sam’s in Disneyland twice in the same week. They opened at 11:00 AM in California. We got there 15 minutes before and had our choice of tables both times. We had great waiters and an entertaining bartender.

After reading this review, I wouldn’t bother with the one in WDW.
The system in place for managing reservations is online at Disneyland and thus infinitely more user friendly but we too have gone many times as walk ups and we’ve always been seated after a short wait. I cannot fathom why they can’t do the same at WDW. I feel they’re trying to make it as unappealing as possible since the volume of guests that they can handle per night is so small. I guess we were gluttons for punishment for complying with their weird rules for all past visits.

So could someone comment as to what time I should arrive pre 3pm to join the list? I've been there once before, so I'm apprehensive this time around.
thanks in advance.

I think everything secretly has their fingers crossed that when the new tower opens, there will be an additional, heavily themed lounge to help take the pressure of off Trader Sam's. Althought based on the new lobby concept images that were released, I'm not feeling hopeful...

Can’t you get the same drinks at the bar outside? That’s where I went.
Yes. And the same food. However, they don't serve it to you in the fancy mugs. So if you order a Nautilus, they just bring it in two plastic cups. And you can't get the same atmosphere. When there is a new mug, we just go outside. If you order a mug (and it's not brand new and they have the pickup table setup outside), you take your receipt inside to pickup your mug.

So could someone comment as to what time I should arrive pre 3pm to join the list? I've been there once before, so I'm apprehensive this time around.
thanks in advance.
I meant to ask if the 1:30 wait list was the new normal or just for that day since they had a lot of big groups (as in maybe they knew in advance? or since it was a Saturday?), but I didn't. I went by what I was reading here but maybe Facebook has more updated info?

I meant to ask if the 1:30 wait list was the new normal or just for that day since they had a lot of big groups (as in maybe they knew in advance? or since it was a Saturday?), but I didn't. I went by what I was reading here but maybe Facebook has more updated info?
I think it varies depending on how busy it might be. Weekends and holiday seasons are likely to be busier times, and I think they start taking reservations earlier during those times. I'd say 1 PM is a good ball park though, to be on the safe side. We usually check at the front desk and they can give some indicator of when they'll start opening the waitlist. There are lots of great lounges around the monorail though! I'd definitely do a crawl and hit up Steakhouse 71 lounge or Enchanted Rose while waiting, or even take the boat across to Geyser Point.

Maybe this is a question where the answer is obvious, but stored in everyone's brains but mine, and, if that's the case, sorry (but not sorry) for asking it:

If the door was locked, and you were waiting on the hostess to come out, how did so many others already have reservations ahead of yours? It would just seem from the situation you described that you would have had the second reservation on the list for that day... Is there some other way to make reservations or something like that?

I'm respectfully asking this question because I could see myself being in the exact same situation as you described and would like to learn what you did "wrong." I'm not sure I would have been so patient...

Wow that experience sounds terrible! I was considering trying it on our upcoming trip but not sure we want to invest the time.

I will see we had a much different experience two weeks ago, but there were only 2 of us. It was about 6:45pm on a Tuesday and we put our names on the list. I think we were called in within about an hour (we had one drink outside by the pool before going inside) and we were seated at that tall middle table right next to each other. Our waitress was pretty good and I think they were good about moving people through AND clearing tables that day. I didn't see any really big parties though, I think the biggest may have been seated at our table later in the evening, and that was maybe 4 or 5 people? We were staying at the Poly though, so it was a no brainer for us to just put our names on the list.

I have to say I am enjoying how much people are saying the Disneyland/California experience is as we have a trip planned there in July/August. We will definitely try to do some time there!

I wondered about this too as I was reading the OP. I haven't tried to do Sam's in quite a while but I thought there was a podium in the lobby where people lined up in advance to either get in first or join the waitlist.

Our experience two weeks ago was we had to open the door and there was a front desk there. The cast member took our reservation and gave us a wait time, and then texted our phone. There was no podium located outside (I feel that like hallway is too narrow for that?).

Maybe this is a question where the answer is obvious, but stored in everyone's brains but mine, and, if that's the case, sorry (but not sorry) for asking it:

If the door was locked, and you were waiting on the hostess to come out, how did so many others already have reservations ahead of yours? It would just seem from the situation you described that you would have had the second reservation on the list for that day... Is there some other way to make reservations or something like that?

I'm respectfully asking this question because I could see myself being in the exact same situation as you described and would like to learn what you did "wrong." I'm not sure I would have been so patient...

Like I mentioned, at 2 pm, there was just one other party waiting by the inset door in the tiny hallway. They told us that they too were waiting for someone to arrive with the 'Magical List' and that the door was locked. This indicated to me that the whole process hadn't started yet and so I felt hopeful. Crowds had been light that whole week so I figured maybe we were in luck for a Saturday and had beaten the normal long line I've experienced many times before.

Once inside, the whole time I was trying to make sense of where I'd made the critical timing mistake despite feeling like I had up-to-date information about showing up at 2pm. But upon entering, the hostesses were involved in the 'fight' with another party and in the end, we just hightailed it out of there. We needed to get to MK and I just had a sick, sad feeling about the whole experience (probably the last time we'll be there with our kids for a long time so we all had it built up in our minds). All I knew was that I was going to write an :mad: email and report back here.

I think it varies depending on how busy it might be. Weekends and holiday seasons are likely to be busier times, and I think they start taking reservations earlier during those times. I'd say 1 PM is a good ball park though, to be on the safe side. We usually check at the front desk and they can give some indicator of when they'll start opening the waitlist.

I will see we had a much different experience two weeks ago, but there were only 2 of us. It was about 6:45pm on a Tuesday and we put our names on the list. I think we were called in within about an hour (we had one drink outside by the pool before going inside) and we were seated at that tall middle table right next to each other. Our waitress was pretty good and I think they were good about moving people through AND clearing tables that day. I didn't see any really big parties though, I think the biggest may have been seated at our table later in the evening, and that was maybe 4 or 5 people? We were staying at the Poly though, so it was a no brainer for us to just put our names on the list.
Last time I was there was in August 2023, midweek and there were also just 2 of us. It was probably around 7 pm and we too were able to open the door and put our name down on a short list and after about 10 minutes we were seated at the bar.

I think this might indicate that they are really trying to appeal to or make it easier for guests staying there at the Poly. I understand and appreciate this as I would want to experience all the properties amenities if I was a guest there. This system functions for those guests having a pool day or staying close to their resort as it involves multiple trips to the tiny corridor at the back of the GCH. But it also requires some hostessing staff to be there at seemingly random hours before the place even opens and determining in advance how busy they might be so that they can come out with the list at the appropriate hour.

Our experience two weeks ago was we had to open the door and there was a front desk there. The cast member took our reservation and gave us a wait time, and then texted our phone. There was no podium located outside (I feel that like hallway is too narrow for that?).
I didn't mean (or type) that it was in the hallway. It was in the lobby on the first floor near the big staircase.

Edit: I think I may have been remembering the check in spot for the now discontinued Luau. Sorry for the confusion!

Last edited:
Yes. And the same food. However, they don't serve it to you in the fancy mugs. So if you order a Nautilus, they just bring it in two plastic cups. And you can't get the same atmosphere. When there is a new mug, we just go outside. If you order a mug (and it's not brand new and they have the pickup table setup outside), you take your receipt inside to pickup your mug.

I was able to get a Nautilus outside - you don't see the show, but I went specifically to get one and sat at the patio. I didn't want the drink, but they had to pour it, so I sent it to another table and then hung out with them - they were off-duty CMs and it was a lot of fun. They all had the fancy mugs, though only I bought mine. It was brought to me in a box and bag, not the one we drank from. Granted this was a little while ago, but not that long.

I didn't mean (or type) that it was in the hallway. It was in the lobby on the first floor near the big staircase.

Edited to add: This was some time ago, like February 2020 or even before.
I've never heard of anything in the lobby, but I haven't been since pre-covid. For pre-opening, you lined up at the door of Trader Sam's and eventually a CM would come out with a clipboard and take names and phone numbers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter