Travel cards

Do you mean a credit card without commissions?
I've used the new Chase credit card for my trip I December and I've been very happy. No commissioni and the exchange rate was very good. And on top of that 1% cashback.

Do you mean a credit card without commissions?
I've used the new Chase credit card for my trip I December and I've been very happy. No commissioni and the exchange rate was very good. And on top of that 1% cashback.

Got a link for that? I can only see a chase debit card linked to a current account?

Shame, would have liked a cashback credit card with no fees on foreign transactions. Think I'm going with Virgin Money as their CC looks to be fee free.

Depends on the intended purpose. It may give lower interest rates that are useful if you don't pay it off each month, or be aimed at business users with exotic billing options.

No it's a consumer card and I think when I originally took it out, it *was* no fee but then changed.

We us a Halifax clarity as a credit card and Starling Bank account if we dont want to pay credit.

Both use Mastercards exchange rate and have 0 fees for transactions. (ATM fees may apply)

No it's a consumer card and I think when I originally took it out, it *was* no fee but then changed.
Your loyalty has been rewarded then :)

FWIW I have a Nationwide Visa CC with no commission on foreign currency transactions, just the daily Visa exchange rate, but I think it's probably tied to having a Nationwide account.

I have a Halifax Clarity credit card (Mastercard), no fees on foreign transactions, normal Mastercard exchange rate.

Whatever main card you have I'd recommend having a backup from a different bank and of the other 'flavour' (Visa/MasterCard) in case one of those systems falls over, which seems to be not uncommon these days. And there's always the lost or locked out possibility of course. (I have a Tesco/MC as backup for my Visa in post #14. Both get used routinely in the UK, so are always ready-to-go.)
As it is only for emergency use abroad I wouldn't worry about it being commission free.

Also to add to above make sure you tell your bank the dates you are going. Most of the time it's not needed.

But nothing worse than having your card declined and blocked on the first day of your trip !

Also to add to above make sure you tell your bank the dates you are going.
Check the FAQ for your provider as it varies.
One of mine used to have a page in my account online to put in dates of travel, but now both providers say to just use it at the airport as you fly out and their system will automatically pick up that you are going abroad.
Typically I'll have breakfast in the airside departure area with one card and also buy something minor like a chocolate bar with the other. I imagine it might work landside or even at an airport hotel, but I play it safe. As you say, having it blocked is a pain.

We've used Starling for the last few years in the US. It's a proper UK bank account, that doesn't charge foreign transaction fees. It is an app based account and you get a notification whenever you spend on it. Very easy to set up and use.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter