Travel Changes?

N 95 masks only work if they are "fit tested" meaning they must fit tight to your face with no gapping. Otherwise it is only effective in not spreading the virus once you test positive. They most effective advice is not to touch your face, stay six feet away from other people when possible and wash, wash, wash your hands for minimum 20 seconds every time. Being in Atlanta airport Saturday we did not see many with masks and those we saw were wearing surgical masks (useless against the virus) and wearing those improperly with the mouth covered and nose exposed.
who wears a surgical mask with their nose exposed????

Last edited:
Wonder if ABD guides will provide masks... What a fun way to spend a vacation!

For all of you that are curious, though, remember those regular masks do absolutely nothing. The mask you need is called an N-95 respirator, and most hospitals now have those on lockdown. Because people have been trying to take them and sell them online... sad

have you cancelled?
where i live has just put france and germany on the mandatory quarantine order..
all returning travelers have to go into mandatory 14 day quarantine from a long list of countries, now including france and germany..

edit: and the health ministry just put out another directive....anyone over 60 or with a preexisting condition should avoid contact with ANYONE returning from ANY country. :oops:

second edit: i just read through all the new directives of our health ministry. they have added to the list of countries where they will not let anyone in arriving from those countries. the new additions are: france, germany, switzerland, spain, and austria (italy, china, korea, hong kong, japan, macau, thailand, etc. were already on the list).
Anyone working in healthcare is forbidden from leaving the country.
Anyone coming back from anywhere (doesn't matter what country) is not allowed to be anywhere where there are more than 100 people present.
And of course, those returning from the long list of forbidden countries must go into 14 day quarantine.
the list of directives goes on and on. But you get the idea.
Still going on the ABD trip to UK/France?

Last edited:
N 95 masks only work if they are "fit tested" meaning they must fit tight to your face with no gapping. Otherwise it is only effective in not spreading the virus once you test positive. They most effective advice is not to touch your face, stay six feet away from other people when possible and wash, wash, wash your hands for minimum 20 seconds every time. Being in Atlanta airport Saturday we did not see many with masks and those we saw were wearing surgical masks (useless against the virus) and wearing those improperly with the mouth covered and nose exposed.

Yes, we sent the detailed instructions on how to properly fit the masks to my Dad and sister to make sure they fit them appropriately. We will do the same if we choose to wear them on our upcoming flights.

We are also going to the Galapagos in July (another company) and no way I'm canceling unless something drastic happens between now and May when final payment is due. I'm not sure that I'd feel any more comfortable traveling in the U.S. (and I have no desire to go anywhere in the U.S.).
This is where I am now too. It seems likely that the relatively low number of cases in the US at this point is because we haven't been looking. I am suspiciously eyeing all of the coughing people on the subway as I type this. I am hoping that transmission will slow in the summer and buy researchers time to develop the vaccine and learn more about the virus. Selfishly, I also hope I will feel safe travelling this summer if transmission does slow.

For those cancelling trips, my own experience dealing with airlines and hotels was that they eventually issued refunds if I continued to politely tell them that their standard policy wasn't acceptable given the situation. It's a pain to spend hours on the phone -- especially when it is to cancel what we supposed to be a relaxing vacation. But, in the end, most businesses were willing to put preserving a customer relationship over the short-term profit from a cancellation fee.

This is where I am now too. It seems likely that the relatively low number of cases in the US at this point is because we haven't been looking. I am suspiciously eyeing all of the coughing people on the subway as I type this. I am hoping that transmission will slow in the summer and buy researchers time to develop the vaccine and learn more about the virus. Selfishly, I also hope I will feel safe travelling this summer if transmission does slow.

For those cancelling trips, my own experience dealing with airlines and hotels was that they eventually issued refunds if I continued to politely tell them that their standard policy wasn't acceptable given the situation. It's a pain to spend hours on the phone -- especially when it is to cancel what we supposed to be a relaxing vacation. But, in the end, most businesses were willing to put preserving a customer relationship over the short-term profit from a cancellation fee.

Well I’ve reached the point where I kind of don’t want to go to France anymore. I’m OK with the UK, but not France. But honestly I’m at the point where the only reason I think I’m going is so I don’t lose a big chunk of change. I know it’s best to keep things in perspective and that my health and my familys health is more important. I wonder if being persistent about cancellation with ABD would work? My guess is no.

Well I’ve reached the point where I kind of don’t want to go to France anymore. I’m OK with the UK, but not France. But honestly I’m at the point where the only reason I think I’m going is so I don’t lose a big chunk of change. I know it’s best to keep things in perspective and that my health and my familys health is more important. I wonder if being persistent about cancellation with ABD would work? My guess is no.
Louvre is open again though.

Something to find comfort in traveling with ABD: Group travel is almost all private with Disney since they use mostly private transportation and you eat usually in private rooms with private activities. Except for excursions where crowds are a factor. Versailles is the most crowded as you walk through like sardines through most of the rooms and of course the Louvre. Hopefully ABD can figure out how to make more private excursions so that you’re mainly traveling in your group. And since everyone is canceling trips, maybe you’ll face less crowds!

Last edited:
have you cancelled?
where i live has just put france and germany on the mandatory quarantine order..
all returning travelers have to go into mandatory 14 day quarantine from a long list of countries, now including france and germany..

edit: and the health ministry just put out another directive....anyone over 60 (moi) or with a preexisting condition (also moi) should avoid contact with ANYONE returning from ANY country. :oops:

second edit: i just read through all the new directives of our health ministry. they have added to the list of countries where they will not let anyone in arriving from those countries. the new additions are: france, germany, switzerland, spain, and austria (italy, china, korea, hong kong, japan, macau, thailand, etc. were already on the list).
Anyone coming back from anywhere (doesn't matter what country) is not allowed to be anywhere where there are more than 100 people present.
And of course, those returning from the long list of forbidden countries must go into 14 day quarantine.

Please don’t take this the wrong way, as I don’t mean it to sound crass. You seem to be a bit of an alarmist. Level three has not been activated for France, Germany, United Kingdom etc. If that comes to pass we have seen that ABD cancels or modifies the trips. They don’t want to put guests at risk.

Last edited:
Please don’t take this the wrong way, as I don’t mean it to sound crass. You seem to be a bit of an alarmist. Level three has not been activated for France, Germany, United Kingdom etc. If that comes to pass we have seen that ABD cancels or modifies the trips. They don’t want to put guests at risks.

i'm not taking it the wrong way. (editing to correct when i realized i'm writing to a different person than i thought i was)

Personally, i wouldn't want to have to go into quarantine for 14 days, which really you should do when returning from overseas at this time.

i live in a country that is still attempting to contain the spread.
Mainly in order to gain time.
The longer you can contain the spread, the more time you have to set up quarantine and critical care facilities.

The US has clearly blown past containment (not sure they ever really tried to contain), so i suppose it doesn't matter what ABD or anyone else does.

Last edited:
have you cancelled?

edit: and the health ministry just put out another directive....anyone over 60 (moi) or with a preexisting condition (also moi) should avoid contact with ANYONE returning from ANY country. :oops:

I'd really love to know what country your "Health Ministry" is from. Because I haven't heard of any country so far raising France, Germany, etc to that high a level. I actually agree with @Networth.
That seems a bit random. Because the UK has 53 cases, and France has 212? What is the magic cutoff number?

Sorry, everyone has to choose what they personally are & aren't comfortable with. Just seems a bit random.

Sayhello

If you are not going to feel comfortable traveling, then it certainly cannot hurt to ask. Disney has the same incentive to preserve customer relationships as any other travel provider.

have you tried calling ABD?
and when you're on the phone with them, asked them to escalate to someone who actually might know something?
today is only the 4th and you're going on the 12th, so there's still time.
I don't know why you would necessarily lose a chunk of change.
Do you have travel insurance?
Is coronavirus considered force majeure so it wouldn't be covered? possibly.
for sure, the airline will let you take a credit for use within the year.

I’m going to try that. Starting to like the idea of the back up plan to go to Hawaii more and more…

@sayhello yes there kind of is a cut off. France has the highest number of cases outside of Italy in Europe. A lot of other European health agencies have put on travel restrictions to France and Germany. It’s on a completely different level and scale than UK.

And the alarming thing in NYC (and other places) is that they have no idea how the attorney got it. Similar, they have no idea how the nursing home in Washington state got it.

I like the quote by Leavitt - it is very true and it is exactly here we are today.

have you tried calling ABD?
and when you're on the phone with them, asked them to escalate to someone who actually might know something?
today is only the 4th and you're going on the 12th, so there's still time.
I don't know why you would necessarily lose a chunk of change.
Do you have travel insurance?
Is coronavirus considered force majeure so it wouldn't be covered? possibly.
for sure, the airline will let you take a credit for use within the year.
The CSRs at ABD are working from a script and the supervisors are pretty useless not helpful. Pressing the front-line CSRs isn't going to get anyone booked on the trip a response -- that has to come from senior management.

When is your trip? Are you on the March 12th departure? Frankly I'm shocked that ABD hasn't made a decision about this trip yet.

I read in our local paper that most, if not all, local school boards have cancelled all spring break trips to Europe. They are not taking any chances. Sadly parents that didn't purchase insurance aren't being guaranteed they will get their money refunded. Keep in mind March break up north isn't until the end of the month. ABD needs to make a decision for a trip in a week. I am losing faith in the ABD product and I would be very upset if I was booked on that trip and hadn't heard anything as of yet.

I have a trip that I booked myself and we are supposed to leave for the Maldives via Delhi and Male on April 2nd. I am closely monitoring the situation. This is supposed to be a once-in-a-lifetime trip for dd's senior year, so I really, really don't want to cancel it, but if India goes level 3 I'm cancelling.

Well, at this point maybe nothing matters because there are several cases within about 30 minute drive of where I am right now!

Same, I live in midtown Manhattan and work in a building a couple of blocks away from where the Westchester fellow works (really hope he pulls through, I understand his condition is currently serious). I've always had the attitude that I'm more likely to get the virus here than anywhere else given my location within the US. I'm on immunosuppressive meds as well, joy. So, am I practicing "social distancing" and working from home right now? Yes. Am I canceling my September ABD? Nah. Not unless Disney does it for me.

Good luck to you, @neurosx1983 ! Hoping we both stay healthy (and that, you know, most other people do too)!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter