Travel Changes?

Speaking of italy, they've reached total confirmed cases of 9,172 after another staggering 1 day increase of 1,797
France is at 1,412 (today's increase was 203).....
Spain and Germany are close in number to france and the rest of europe, including the UK are beginning to see big increases in the day by day numbers

More indicative of the overwhelmed medical system, Italy's death toll is now at 463, having increased today by 93.
And they have 733 in critical/serious condition.
An italian doctor was interviewed on our news program here - he said they just can't handle the critical cases and they're simply taking people off ventilators, even though the patients still need them, as there just aren't enough to go around. In other words, they're letting people die. He said they pick the worst cases and let them go. That's an overwhelmed hospital at work.

Speaking of italy, they've reached total confirmed cases of 9,172 after another staggering 1 day increase of 1,797
France is at 1,412 (today's increase was 203).....
Spain and Germany are close in number to france and the rest of europe, including the UK are beginning to see big increases in the day by day numbers

More indicative of the overwhelmed medical system, Italy's death toll is now at 463, having increased today by 93.
And they have 733 in critical/serious condition.
An italian doctor was interviewed on our news program here - he said they just can't handle the critical cases and they're simply taking people off ventilators, even though the patients still need them, as there just aren't enough to go around. In other words, they're letting people die. He said they pick the worst cases and let them go. That's an overwhelmed hospital at work.

And yet... ABD wants to go ahead and sightsee in the middle of all of this. I think they are waiting for the CDC to make a judgment call on these countries before they say anything but I don’t think the CDC is going to do that anymore because this is exploding out of control.

what do we know about the power structure of ABD? Are they and cruise line part of the same division? I don’t envy the people that need to be making decisions right now but still it just seems silly to travel to Europe right now in a group tour. Borderline crazy.

And yet... ABD wants to go ahead and sightsee in the middle of all of this. I think they are waiting for the CDC to make a judgment call on these countries before they say anything but I don’t think the CDC is going to do that anymore because this is exploding out of control.

what do we know about the power structure of ABD? Are they and cruise line part of the same division? I don’t envy the people that need to be making decisions right now but still it just seems silly to travel to Europe right now in a group tour. Borderline crazy.

I completely agree.
And the lack of communication and the inflexibility are upsetting in the extreme.

Last edited:

I was reading that the UK sees themselves about 2-3 weeks behind Italy in terms of where they expect to be with the virus. They are saying they will restrict all travel to / from / within the UK if / when they reach the point Italy is at. Yet still no decision from ABD. I'm not sure what ABD is waiting for to cancel their upcoming London / France trip, but the optics are really, really bad.

I was e-mailing Scott Dunn, the company I booked the Russia / N. Europe of my May trip with, and they said if I cancel our trip then I lose the entire deposit ($5,000.00). They'd be happy to help me book Banff / Lake Louise instead, but it would count as a new booking and I'd still be out the deposit for Russia / N. Europe (I can't fathom the logic here as I specifically told them not to book any flights or hotels until I had my Russia visa in hand, which I should have on the 12th and WHY would I book another trip with this company that has no respect for my health and well-being?). I have until March 20th to decide if we will continue with this trip (that's the PIF date). I am thinking that travel on our own is much more appealing moving forward.

You’re totally right. That’s why we chose Hawaii, just to stay in the United States. Even though it’s actually a longer flight from here than Europe.
I am sorry that your planned trip didn’t turn out. I was promptly refunded by ABD for the March 27th Italy trip today. Italy for next spring break.

@morgan98 Did your husband get on his flight home? Immediately thought of you guys when I saw that Italy just closed travel to/from/within.

He landed at JFK at 4:10pm. You don't know how happy I am I woke up yesterday, called Delta and told him to get his butt to Rome.

Now for two weeks of self quarantine. He has no symptoms and my employer prefer that I stay home with him anyway and work from here. I will be seeing him at the Atlanta airport in about one hour. I just went and did shopping and wine buying for staying in for two weeks. I know I can order things from Amazon and grocery delivery too if I forgot something.

Now fingers crossed for 14 healthy days.

I appreciate you thinking of me.

He landed at JFK at 4:10pm. You don't know how happy I am I woke up yesterday, called Delta and told him to get his butt to Rome.

Now for two weeks of self quarantine. He has no symptoms and my employer prefer that I stay home with him anyway and work from here. I will be seeing him at the Atlanta airport in about one hour. I just went and did shopping and wine buying for staying in for two weeks. I know I can order things from Amazon and grocery delivery too if I forgot something.

Thinking of you both! Also wishing you guys 14 healthy days.

So with all that's transpired in the last 24 hours we've now decided to pull the plug on this week's UK/France adventure. More from the perspective of not wanting to possibly spread the virus further and not wanting to face a possible quarantine when returning. If ABD doesn't cancel by Thursday afternoon we'll pull the trigger on the travel insurance and eat the 25%.

Trying to figure out a Plan B now - not gonna give up the time off as it's a chore to coordinate our schedules for vacation. Probably just rent a condo at the beach (we're in Central Florida). Or a staycation at WDW.

[/
I so agree with you. I really hope ABD will refund all those who do not wish to travel to Europe or elsewhere. Have a good time in Hawaii.

This is like war-time triage. Tough choices to make to save the most save-able patients, using the resources where they can do the most good. Think of being that doctor, who has taken an oath to do no harm, who is faced with basically picking whether to try and save one person over another. (And think of the ethical questions that raises.)

This is why there is fear.... (and why I've been worried for weeks about one of my kids, who has asthma and gets pneumonia very easily. She will likely need intensive care if she gets this). And why the draconian measures are in effect to slow the spread.

So with all that's transpired in the last 24 hours we've now decided to pull the plug on this week's UK/France adventure. More from the perspective of not wanting to possibly spread the virus further and not wanting to face a possible quarantine when returning. If ABD doesn't cancel by Thursday afternoon we'll pull the trigger on the travel insurance and eat the 25%.

Trying to figure out a Plan B now - not gonna give up the time off as it's a chore to coordinate our schedules for vacation. Probably just rent a condo at the beach (we're in Central Florida). Or a staycation at WDW.

Sorry about that. I know you guys tried to hold off. ABD baffles me with their ineptitude in not canceling this trip. What the heck are they waiting for? Do they think at this point its going to be a normal trip and everyone's going to be riding bikes at Versailles as if nothing is going on?

Come to Hawaii! The way I see it, Its going to be relaxing as hell and god knows we all need that after how things have been on the news (BTW while I'm there I'm not going to turn on the news)
and at least you're still in the US.
We're going to FS Hualalai...looks incredible. Aulani looks too crowded and not as nice. IMO.

I have an ABD fully paid for Italy in June and I’m getting worried (doesn’t help that I’m paying in CAD so the rate is horrible)...I’ve @Waltdisneyco on twitter asking them why they don’t have an advisory on their website. I also have a cruise on the back end of my trip with Royal and they’ve made sure people can cancel and use their amount paid for a future cruise...why is ABD avoiding this issue :(

My DS is now developing a cough which is normal for this time of year for him really but this makes me even more worried about travelling this Saturday to Costa Rica... we might have to really look into moving this to another date. :(

edit to add: this is me thinking at 2-3am and would probably not pull the plug in the morning but it sure is stressful

Last edited:

I am so happy to hear this. I tagged you yesterday to ask, but I may have done it wrong :) I've been thinking about him as I watch these unreal images coming out of of Italy. The BBC news is full of all kinds of possible measures if it rises like Italy. I'm glad we are flying out on Thursday, but I'm worried about DD20 who is supposed to fly home on 4/1 for part of her Spring Break. That could be right at the peak of this and I'm worried about her getting out as well as getting back in of the UK. My brother works at a big financial company in Los Angeles, and they were just all told to work from home for at least two weeks and not to travel.

This is like war-time triage. Tough choices to make to save the most save-able patients, using the resources where they can do the most good. Think of being that doctor, who has taken an oath to do no harm, who is faced with basically picking whether to try and save one person over another. (And think of the ethical questions that raises.)

This is why there is fear.... (and why I've been worried for weeks about one of my kids, who has asthma and gets pneumonia very easily. She will likely need intensive care if she gets this). And why the draconian measures are in effect to slow the spread.

yes, disaster triage. Exactly. The death rate rises as the system becomes overwhelmed.
That's why countries try to delay the inevitable. If you can keep the number as low as possible, fewer people will die since they'll be able to get the appropriate treatment.

My daughter also has asthma and has her yearly winter battles with just the common cold.
She's 35 and is very nervous about going anywhere.
Though it didn't stop her from going to the movies last night to see Onward, which she said is fantastic. As did my son and both of their spouses.
The 4 of them actually drove really far away to find a small theater with almost no seats sold, to try to minimize the risk to the extent possible.
They both said that they feel it's one of the best pixars ever.

Sorry about that. I know you guys tried to hold off. ABD baffles me with their ineptitude in not canceling this trip. What the heck are they waiting for? Do they think at this point its going to be a normal trip and everyone's going to be riding bikes at Versailles as if nothing is going on?

Come to Hawaii! The way I see it, Its going to be relaxing as hell and god knows we all need that after how things have been on the news (BTW while I'm there I'm not going to turn on the news)
and at least you're still in the US.
We're going to FS Hualalai...looks incredible. Aulani looks too crowded and not as nice. IMO.

OMG - you're going to FS Hualalai?
we need a trip report!!! and pictures!!! i am totally jealous.
That place looks so amazing! Four Seasons in general are typically wonderful hotels, but that one in particular makes me want to get on a plane and fly the billion hours it would take me to get there!
Have a great time! and no news, no phone, no internet, nothing.

Wow, to my point about not wanting to chance travel in case someone in my family gets sick and how people react. This could be coming soon to the UK: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...will-told-self-isolate-uk-braces-coronavirus/

Yeah, honestly this doesn't surprise me really.

Sunday I went to get my nails done and there was a woman there hacking up a lung. I mean a really deep, hard cough. She kept saying it was a sinus infection. The nail technicians gave her water (twice) and even a mask. I get that it very well could have been allergies, but in no way was that a "normal" cough. And she seems annoyed. Everyone breathed a sigh of relief when she left.

On the flight home last night, by husband said he was ultra sensitive to anyone coughing or otherwise appearing ill on the plane, but he said that luckily everyone seemed fine,

Wow, to my point about not wanting to chance travel in case someone in my family gets sick and how people react. This could be coming soon to the UK: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...will-told-self-isolate-uk-braces-coronavirus/
Yeah, honestly this doesn't surprise me really.

Sunday I went to get my nails done and there was a woman there hacking up a lung. I mean a really deep, hard cough. She kept saying it was a sinus infection. The nail technicians gave her water (twice) and even a mask. I get that it very well could have been allergies, but in no way was that a "normal" cough. And she seems annoyed. Everyone breathed a sigh of relief when she left.

On the flight home last night, by husband said he was ultra sensitive to anyone coughing or otherwise appearing ill on the plane, but he said that luckily everyone seemed fine,
My anxiety is growing on this! DS has a slight cough right now which seems ok but what will happen when we are travelling... :(

My anxiety is growing on this! DS has a slight cough right now which seems ok but what will happen when we are travelling... :(
Do you have cancel travel insurance? Is this something he can take a medication for? Perhaps see the doctor before you leave?

I worried about this too as my children sometimes get sick during travel. Traveling during this time is extra troublesome. I just wonder if people will want you to wear a mask? I also wonder if you start coughing in front of an immigration agent, they might pull people aside with symptoms and get them tested or quarantined? CR is where the American tourists are quarantined. I have no idea how employees are reacting to anyone sick. Perhaps someone who has recently traveled has experience?

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter