Travel Changes?

I think all the travel companies need to reevaluate their response given how long travel has been and is likely to continue to be impacted.

I went ahead and rebooked with Nat Geo before my June trip was cancelled because there was only one other trip that worked with our schedule and the website said there was still availability. I was concerned that if I waited any longer to rebook, there would be no slots available on that trip.

I'm traveling with Nat Geo because I want to go on THIS specific itinerary. I chose them over other companies like ABD and Tauck because I want to take THIS trip. And I preferably want to take a trip THIS YEAR. I can't think of any circumstance where I would pay for a trip in full over a year in advance.

Even though many of us are repeat ABD customers, I think it's a little obnoxious on their (or any company's) part to simply assume that we want to spend an average of $5000-$10,000 per person to travel just anywhere. For example, if I had booked ABD's Japan itinerary (which I have my eye on for a trip in the next two years), it would not be acceptable to me to move that $20k (or whatever the Japan trip is going for these days) to a trip to Alaska or Wyoming.

And, you've got to figure that the trips that they will be able to offer for rebooking this year will be very limited. They've already cancelled all April and May trips. No one is likely to be going anywhere in June. In July, I think it's reasonable to hope that some domestic trips may proceed (probably not the DL trip). But, if you had a trip booked to Italy, you probably don't want to go to Arizona (at least I wouldn't).

The longer this drags out, the fewer options are going to be available for rebooking. And the idea that customers view all of these trips as being simply interchangeable is a horrible misinterpretation of WHY people are willing to spend $$$$ on specific itineraries.

I think ABD and others are going to find themselves unable to accommodate all of the customers who need to rebook on a comparable trip in a reasonable period of time. And, even though I know they will try, it just seems ridiculous to me to keep customers' money when you can't rebook them until next year...unless you offer some really generous perk as an incentive.

I had this exact thought earlier today. My SoCal/DL PIF is tomorrow, so I called ABD today just to get a handle on my options. Option 1 is to PIF which I have decided I really can't do - this whole solo trip was contingent on my DS12 going to summer school in MA and we have no idea if that is happening at this point. I really can't leave him alone with DH for a week just so I can go to DL! Option 2 is to pick a new date now and take advantage of any discount that may be offered for the new date and trip I choose. Option 3 is to "park" my deposit and use it by February 21, 2021 toward any trip currently advertised and with availability but with no discount (so, potentially putting it toward new trips that are released for 2022).

I went onto the website to look at my options and there just isn't a lot scheduled for 2021 at this point - at least nothing that interests me. I do not feel comfortable booking anything for this summer nor do I feel comfortable booking any international travel within the next 12 months. I feel like my only option at this point is to "park" the deposit, but, as you said, with everyone "parking" deposits there might be a mad dash to book trips once they release more for 2021 and 2022 and the ones that are available may not be of interest to us or the dates may not work.

It is comforting to read that so many of you believe June international trips will be cancelled. We paid in full early for our June trip to Germany (which I won’t do again!) so I am going to try hold out and hope ABD cancels. I have learned so much reading everyone’s comments and experiences. Thanks for sharing!

Although we have had four amazing ABD trips, I have started looking at Tauck based on the positive comments here and the poor communication everyone has received from ABD. Their destinations look amazing, but I did get a slight impression that they had some focus on finer dining/dressing up. Is this anyone’s experience? My family likes the laid back ABD feel. Should we only look at the Tauck trips designated for “families?”

It is comforting to read that so many of you believe June international trips will be cancelled. We paid in full early for our June trip to Germany (which I won’t do again!) so I am going to try hold out and hope ABD cancels. I have learned so much reading everyone’s comments and experiences. Thanks for sharing!

Although we have had four amazing ABD trips, I have started looking at Tauck based on the positive comments here and the poor communication everyone has received from ABD. Their destinations look amazing, but I did get a slight impression that they had some focus on finer dining/dressing up. Is this anyone’s experience? My family likes the laid back ABD feel. Should we only look at the Tauck trips designated for “families?”

If you are investigating Tauck for family trips, look specifically for their Tauck Bridges tours. Those are the family friendly options.

We have done one regular Tauck tour (Italy) and one "Bridges" tour (UK/France) and I never felt the need to get super dressed up. Looking back, I feel like I packed the same type of outfits for the Tauck tours as I did for our Central Europe ABD.

What happens if you pay ABD in full early and then cancel...will they refund you everything you paid except for the deposit? I would assume so

What happens if you pay ABD in full early and then cancel...will they refund you everything you paid except for the deposit? I would assume so
Yes I’ve done this (paid before PIF). But if you buy ABD insurance, you’re subject to those penalties. If you want to PIF and get your money back in full before the PIF date, don’t use ABD insurance. Best bet is to PIF at due date with our without ABD insurance.
Post COVID-19, I won’t ever PIF before the due date!

Yes I’ve done this (paid before PIF). But if you buy ABD insurance, you’re subject to those penalties. If you want to PIF and get your money back in full before the PIF date, don’t use ABD insurance. Best bet is to PIF at due date with our without ABD insurance.
Post COVID-19, I won’t ever PIF before the due date!
But if you PIF early with ABD travel insurance and they cancel, you get it all back right?

My TA just contacted ABD because we are booked on United for Egypt and started to worry about the 4/30 deadline to change a flight with no penalty. This may be extended but United has been such a jerk (we dealt with them already for our cruise) that we worry that they will look for any way to punish us for having to change/cancel Our adventure starts on 6/28. ABD said they hope to decide about our trip in the coming weeks and likely before 4/30. I thought this might be helpful for others who are waiting (even though it's not very specific!).

My TA just contacted ABD because we are booked on United for Egypt and started to worry about the 4/30 deadline to change a flight with no penalty. This may be extended but United has been such a jerk (we dealt with them already for our cruise) that we worry that they will look for any way to punish us for having to change/cancel Our adventure starts on 6/28. ABD said they hope to decide about our trip in the coming weeks and likely before 4/30. I thought this might be helpful for others who are waiting (even though it's not very specific!).
Thank you for letting us know. I would love to hear something by 4/30!

Received an email from ABD that "Adventures by Disney has made the decision to suspend most departures through June 30, 2020". We had been scheduled on the June 5th Austria & Czech Republic adventure. Options are a travel credit for any Adventure in 2020 or 2021, or a full refund. If I take the credit and book by May 11th, there is some type of discount but I'd need to call for specifics.

My TA let me know today that ABD has extended final payment by 30 days for all September ABDs. They are also allowing me one more change if needed. (I had already moved this deposit from Egypt to the Sept. Rhine cruise). So I have some extra time to decide if I want to go ahead with the Sept. cruise or move my deposit to another adventure.

It's probably sold out. People like me who had trips to Egypt earlier were moved into the Sept 15th (and the next) Sept trip as an option after our trips were cancelled.

JUNE IS CANCELLED:

April 20, 2020
IMPORTANT INFORMATION
Adventures by Disney has been closely monitoring the latest information regarding Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) and is in constant contact with local, state, national and international health agencies for information and guidance.
With the well-being of our Guests and team members as our top priority, Adventures by Disney has made the decision to suspend most departures through June 30, 2020. Adventures by Disney will contact all impacted Guests or their Travel Agents with updated information and options.
Adventures by Disney and AmaWaterways River Cruise Update
In our continuing effort to ensure the well-being of our Guests and team members, Adventures by Disney along with AmaWaterways, our partner in river cruise sailings, have decided to suspend all river cruise sailings and their associated Escape trips through June 28, 2020.
The following Adventures by Disney River Cruise sailings have been cancelled:
Rhine River Cruise
  • June 14, 2020
  • June 28, 2020
Rhône River Cruise
  • June 11, 2020
Seine River Cruise
  • June 11, 2020
Danube River Cruise
  • June 20, 2020
  • June 27, 2020
Additionally, the following Adventures by Disney Escapes have been cancelled:
  • Amsterdam Escape: June 21; July 5, 2020
  • Budapest Escape: June 25, 2020
  • Paris Escape: June 9 & 18, 2020

Received an email from ABD that "Adventures by Disney has made the decision to suspend most departures through June 30, 2020". We had been scheduled on the June 5th Austria & Czech Republic adventure. Options are a travel credit for any Adventure in 2020 or 2021, or a full refund. If I take the credit and book by May 11th, there is some type of discount but I'd need to call for specifics.
They just opened up pre-booking for 2021 for those who had a trip cancelled. My March Italy trip was one of the first cancelled.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter