Traveling overseas with elderly dad-is it safe?

disneyfanforever

DIS Veteran
One of my dad's dreams is to go to Europe, and he will be 75 next year. My husband and I (in our 50s) have decided we would like to take him next year as my mom has no desire to ever go. My concern is I start googling and start scaring myself reading about blood clots and heart attacks on planes on long flights (we live Arkansas so it would definitely be a long flight). Does anyone here have any experience with flying over a certain age? I am even worried for my husband and myself. I did read that it is hard to get travel insurance if over 75, and we would be going next summer before his birthday.

I am around your age and took my mom to Europe in 2018 when she was 79. I did buy trip insurance for both of us. You should be able to find trip insurance for your dad but it will obviously cost more than for a younger person. I still think it is worth the peace of mind. For the blood clots. Your dad may want to wear compression socks on the flight to help prevent blood clots.

One of my dad's dreams is to go to Europe, and he will be 75 next year. My husband and I (in our 50s) have decided we would like to take him next year as my mom has no desire to ever go. My concern is I start googling and start scaring myself reading about blood clots and heart attacks on planes on long flights (we live Arkansas so it would definitely be a long flight). Does anyone here have any experience with flying over a certain age? I am even worried for my husband and myself. I did read that it is hard to get travel insurance if over 75, and we would be going next summer before his birthday.
My mother in law is 88 and gets travel insurance several times each year, twice already this year. It’s not cheap but she’s able to get it.

Travel insurance prices increase with age. I’ve never heard of anyone not being able to get it.

For the flight, do yourself a favor and book something above basic economy. I don’t know what airline you are thinking about, but British airways has premium economy, which gives more leg room, more recline, and wider seats. Well worth the cost especially for your dad.

Lots of people travel to Europe in their 70’s or 80’s. Risk of blood clots is low. It is very important to get up and move around fairly often; not just sit in your seat for that long and stay hydrated. I would talk to his doctor to see if there are any reasons he should not go. Might recommend and aspirin before flying. I hope you get to take him, you will all be happy you did.

I am around your age and took my mom to Europe in 2018 when she was 79. I did buy trip insurance for both of us. You should be able to find trip insurance for your dad but it will obviously cost more than for a younger person. I still think it is worth the peace of mind. For the blood clots. Your dad may want to wear compression socks on the flight to help prevent blood clots.
I second the compression socks, the elders in my family always wear on flights, short flights and long flights.

Definitely have him discuss it with his doctor--it will allay your concerns. The compression socks can help--I like the ones from Viasox, because they're very comfortable and come in cute designs (he may not care about that). I find that I can wear them all day, versus the ones from the drug store that were even more expensive and tricky to put on.

I also recommend upgrading his seat if at all possible. Even better if you can all do it, but him, for sure. Even Premium Economy will be much more comfortable.

Most importantly--do it. Do it while his health is fairly good. My BFF always wanted to take her mom to Ireland. Mom's still kicking, but at 91, international travel is out of the question. Go, take pictures, make memories, have a grand time.

My sister recently told us she wants to go to Spain & see the village our grandfather was from. My husband , daughter & I will be going with sister, BIL & niece sometime next year. My sister will be 70, my husband 69 & I’ll be 68. We all have some health issues. Flying over the ocean for hours & traveling to a foreign country for the first time concern me. But just traveling at our ages, not a concern at all.

Not sure how much of a risk that actually is on a flight to Europe - where your originate from might be more of an issue as well. The longer the flight the higher the risk, but I still think its not all that big - flights to Ireland always have a lot of over 70s and I've never seen any issues. It happens, but not something I have seen on numerous flights.

Talking to a doctor is not a bad thing, if you can get that done, even if its just a call or email if that is an option to alleviate your concerns.

Travel Insurance, may want to review your credit cards and see if they cover it - many of the higher end cards do cover quite a bit.

Flying from Arkansas I assume you will go to NY first (or somewhere like that). Might be worth making sure you have a bit of time between flights so you can walk around the terminal as much as possible and keep things moving a bit.

During the flight is he is capable of walking up and down the isle once and a while that would help as well.

Not sure what you destination is but Jet Blue is also an option for several places - they have a lot more leg room than most and they have even more leg rooms seats with extra room. They also have lie down seats that are much more reasonable than most airlines. (Edit: They were much cheaper last week than this week so you may want to watch for a sale)

Last edited:
My parents are 74 and 72. They went to Costa Rica twice last year and are going to Hawaii for two weeks next month (we're on the east coast, so it's a much longer flight than Europe). We sprung for seats with more legroom for them this time. We tell them to get up and walk around every so often.

My dad had a major heart attack (with cardiac arrest) in 2020 and the doctors actually cleared him then for a Hawaii trip two months later. It didn't wind up happening because of Covid.

It can't hurt to see a doc, but IMHO more has to do with one's physical condition and less about age. I'm preparing to walk the Camino Frances this fall and belong to a Seniors on the Camino FB group. These are people in their 60s, 70s and 80s who are preparing to walk 100-700 miles (depending on what Camino they're doing). I'd put them up against a couch potato in their 30s or 40s any day.

Regarding the flight, I recommend wearing compression socks and getting up every couple of hours to move around. I have a history of DVTs and made it to London and back last year, no problem.

We took my Mom to Spain, Italy, and France in 2022. She was 78. She had had surgery on both of her feet 2 years earlier. She didn't have any issues.

DH and I went to Germany last year. When got back he had blood clots in his legs from the plane trip. We are traveling to Hawaii from SC in May and have splurged for first class mainly due to making sure he can have extra room. If you can swing it, like others have suggested I would try to book seats with more leg room than basic economy.

We always wear compression socks.....all flights.
I hate flying to Europe. Not because the seats are uncomfortable but because it is just too long.
We flew twice to Amsterdam from AZ last year (at age 69). It was torture for me. I can't sleep on planes.
The food was terrible. One leg of the flight I got food poisoning. Not fun.

But....at his age if that is what he wants.....go for it! We did have nice trips on all the overseas trips we have taken. Wouldn't change any of them (except the flights ;) )

If you’ve concerns about his health regarding travel speak directly with his doctors, specifically cardiologist and PC for any prohibitions and suggestions.
My Mom (in her early ‘80s) could travel the 5 odd hours from the NE to Europe but she could not travel to Australia. I’ve never had any problems getting health insurance for mature travelers but that is where you need to concentrate your reading skills. You will need to read carefully what the insurance is offering.

Your plan sounds amazing! I took my elderly father on a trip to France last summer and it was truly memorable. He's in his 70s, and although I had similar concerns about the long flight and health issues, everything went great. We made sure to take frequent stretch breaks during the flight, and we consulted with his doctor beforehand to make sure the trip was safe for him. After this trip, we are considering immigrating to France, but my father is very concerned. The quality of life here is fantastic, especially for retirees, and there are many resources available to expats.

My parents are 79 and 77 and travel constantly. They do always wear compression socks on flights and fly in either economy plus or business class. My advice - absolutely go.

Thank you all so much for all of your replies. I think we are going to go for it. I plan to tell him over Easter weekend so I am excited. It definitely sounds like we need to book Comfort+ seats (the step up from economy/main on Delta which is where our mileage points are) so we can have more leg room. I wish we could do business class but that is out of our budget. I think he is going to be really excited when we tell him so the planning can begin for real!

As most people said,
1. try to buy upgraded seats for more legroom.
2. Stay hydrated. I brought along little electrolyte powder packages (think Pedialyte) to add to water whilst flying. Amazon’s brand is pretty good. The individual packets can be poured into a bottle of water. Not at all messy.
3. Walk around or move your legs while seated. A lot of setback entertainment feature exercise options to do while seated.
4.Take baby aspirin and talk to his doctor about possibly starting an aspirin regimen ahead of time.
5. Wear compression socks.
6. Don’t try to see it all; pacing is important. 7. Get insurance regardless of the cost. Medicare is useless overseas.
7. If you can, give yourselves a jet lag day upon arrival so you can start to get better acclimated. Take small jaunts close to your lodging that day. Don’t nap!! Force yourselves to stay awake that first day so you have a fair chance of sleeping that night.
8. Enjoy making memories.

BTW,Pickpockets are a thing. Go to some blogs or YouTube videos to learn some low cost effective hedges against it.

I traveled last October at 69. I’m going again this year. I was on blood thinners for a blood clot in my lung. My doctor merely stressed some of the suggestions above and told me to be very, very faithful about taking my pills on time. I’ll be talking to my doc about whether I need to go back on blood thinners and whatever else she’d recommend.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter