Traveling to London solo, first time international traveler

The War Rooms are ... squat. They are large spaces, but in some rooms the ceilings are quite low; I'd guess less than 7".

The War Rooms are actually part of the Imperial War Museum. The main facility in Lambeth is also very worth seeing; there are fascinating exhibits there about the UK's history of war and empire, and a lot about both World Wars. As an historical bonus, it is located in the building that used to be Bethlehem Hospital (better known as Bedlam.)

Last edited:
I will definitely look that up! Buckingham Palace is on my shortlíst to see. What other attractions did you do in the same area?
Depending on what part of summer you are going you may be able to tour BP. It’s usually open end of July to beginning of October when the Queen goes to Scotland for the summer. They might stretch the summer opening out next year since they have not been able to open BP because of Covid.

The War Rooms are actually part of the Imperial War Museum. The main facility in Lambeth is also very worth seeing; there are fascinating exhibits there about the UK's history of war and empire, and a lot about both World Wars. As an historical bonus, it is located in the building that used to be Bethlehem Hospital (better known as Bedlam.)

The Imperial War Museum really drives home the reality of war. It is very interesting and in many parts fascinating. I actually wasn't able to make it all of the way through because it was just...too much. And I'm a tough old bird. So just a warning that this may not be a "feel good" kind of museum.

FUN!!! I went to London a few years back and absolutely loved it. I'm planning a trip back there in the near future.

I haven't read all the replies, but wanted to recommend the Russell Square area. The Royal National hotel is there and is a budget-friendly and decent option. They have a buffet breakfast (maybe? if things are back to normal with COVID). Plus, it is very close to the Russell Square tube station.

There's a bar by the River Thames that was super fun to go to. A beautiful view of the London Eye.

Check out Strawberry tours. They have several walking tours available, each themed a bit different depending on your interest. I went on a Ghost Tour of London and it was so cool. It is a "free" guided tour, but you are expected to tip your tour guide. I was really impressed with the tour and would absolutely go again. I also went on a Ghost Bus tour and the guides were hilarious. There are also many Jack the Ripper tours to choose from, if you are into that sort of thing haha!

Last edited:

ALSO! If you have time or a desire, the EuroStar takes you straight from the Kings Cross/St. Pancras International station (also very close to Russell Square) into Paris or even Disneyland Paris. It was such a joy to be able to do something like this. They have individual seats, which is excellent if you're going solo. I got first class roundtrip for an overnight at Disneyland Paris and it was one of the most magical experiences I've ever done. Seeing the countryside of France was breathtaking from the fast moving train. I get goosebumps still wondering how I had the opportunity to go by myself to such a beautiful place.

I love going to London by myself. I won't go into everything I love about London, cuz it would be too much text, but one thing I love about London is that a lot of the museums are free. Pre-pandemic you could just walk in on a whim.

Hi all, Resurrecting this thread because my trip is booked and I’m leaving in a month! I’m super nervous about everything given the state of travel/airports at the moment. I’m flying from Detroit via Toronto to Manchester and I’ll be spending a few days mid-trip in London. I’d love to chat about safety issues and any other helpful hints! TIA!

There is nothing to worry about safety wise compared to living in the US. Stuff can happen anywhere and London is probably safer than many US major cities. Just use commonsense. Dont have you purse open etc.. or on the back of a chair at a cafe/restaurant. Wear comfortable shoes and look into the Oyster card for vistors before you go for public transport. have fun!

General safety for a large city is mostly all you need. Be aware of your belongings, especially in public places and on tubes. In general if you are lost or need to check your route don't stand in the middle looking confused. One big key warning is that phone snatchers are on the rise again in London, if you can avoid it, don't have your phone in your hand in as you walk down the street. Not to scare, you just something to be aware of.

In terms of the travel mess at the moment, just make sure you have good travel insurance which covers delays, pack your hand luggage with any key items that will keep you going for a few days if needed and maybe ensure you have a power bank to hand as if there are delays you'll need your phone to rearrange things.

If you have any more specific questions about London ask away and I'll try and help!

this thread is a little old but I just got back from a solo trip to London.

I recommend London Walks www.walks.com if you want to do a tourist thing but you need to be able to do walking. 15 pounds per walk and you pay there.
I did not use cash, not even once. Travelers cheques I don't know if they even take those anymore, and it is probably not easy to find a place to cash them, especially on a weekend. All transactions were done by contactless credit card (one that does not charge a foreign transaction fee - those would definitely add up).
Download an app or follow local pages on social media. Watch out for transportation strikes.
I don't do the visitors Oyster card - I think the big deal with that is that you can redeem what's left on the card before you leave UK. I'm coming back, so I just keep my regular Oyster card.
I stay in South Kensington. Noplace in London is all that cheap unless you go the hostel route. when booking a hotel, check for air conditioning if that is important to you, and shared bathrooms (several rooms share a bathroom) in the lower priced options if you are preferring a private bathroom.

I did a Beatles emphasis on this trip, a London Walk of Beatles sites, also the British Library has a free exhibit of historic documents that has some handwritten Beatles lyrics featured.

Last edited:
this thread is a little old but I just got back from a solo trip to London.

I recommend London Walks www.walks.com if you want to do a tourist thing but you need to be able to do walking. 15 pounds per walk and you pay there.
I did not use cash, not even once. Travelers cheques I don't know if they even take those anymore, and it is probably not easy to find a place to cash them, especially on a weekend. All transactions were done by contactless credit card (one that does not charge a foreign transaction fee - those would definitely add up).
Download an app or follow local pages on social media. Watch out for transportation strikes.
I don't do the visitors Oyster card - I think the big deal with that is that you can redeem what's left on the card before you leave UK. I'm coming back, so I just keep my regular Oyster card.
I stay in South Kensington. Noplace in London is all that cheap unless you go the hostel route. when booking a hotel, check for air conditioning if that is important to you, and shared bathrooms (several rooms share a bathroom) in the lower priced options if you are preferring a private bathroom.

I did a Beatles emphasis on this trip, a London Walk of Beatles sites, also the British Library has a free exhibit of historic documents that has some handwritten Beatles lyrics featured.
Thanks for the info. I have hotels booked, staying in Earl’s Court during London part of trip. My niece was just over so she gave me a few tips. I know about the Oyster Card and I have a travel CC with no foreign transaction fees. I have to check what my ATM cash limits are, I’d like to carry a little cash just in case.
Also curious about travel insurance, I’m thinking it’s a good idea since flight delays and cancellations.

General safety for a large city is mostly all you need. Be aware of your belongings, especially in public places and on tubes. In general if you are lost or need to check your route don't stand in the middle looking confused. One big key warning is that phone snatchers are on the rise again in London, if you can avoid it, don't have your phone in your hand in as you walk down the street. Not to scare, you just something to be aware of.

In terms of the travel mess at the moment, just make sure you have good travel insurance which covers delays, pack your hand luggage with any key items that will keep you going for a few days if needed and maybe ensure you have a power bank to hand as if there are delays you'll need your phone to rearrange things.

If you have any more specific questions about London ask away and I'll try and help!
Any recommendations for travel insurance. I don’t know where to start as I’ve never used it before.

I purchased an anti theft purse for this trip and RFID wallet. I’m struggling if I need a neck purse to keep some items like passport and CC more hidden. I’m thinking that’s overkill if I’ve got the purse and items are hidden inside in zippered pockets. I keep reading how you should divide up the items you are carrying. Do I need to carry my passport around or is a copy ok? 🤷🏼‍♀️

for travel insurance try Insure My Trip. it will help you find a policy that fits your travel. Read everything.

British Airways may have a strike coming. always keep an eye on strike action for the London Underground and the rail network. There were a lot of issues at Heathrow with luggage, either there are not enough ground crew or they were striking, but I didn't check luggage so I didn't experience them firsthand.

I was pulling out my credit card for everything, it was in a pouch in the front of my crossbody bag. If it was "hidden" it would be a pain to keep getting it out and putting it back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter