Travellers cheques, credit card, cash?

LUVCINDERELLY

Earning My Ears
Just wondering what the best route to go is? I'm in Canada and I use my interact (debit card) here for everything! But from what I understand, this isn't as widely used in the states. We'll obviously be bringing our credit card, but I don't want to use it for everything. So should we get traveller's cheques or just use cash? :)
I have a 16 year old who can't wait to go shopping!! :cool1:

LuvCinderelly

I don't know who told you the debit card isn't used much in the states - but whoever it was - was wrong!!! The debit card is used big time!!! But on vacations I tend to buy travelers checks (TC) - AAA Visa TC's. TC's (IMHO) are safer than debit cards, cash, etc. Of course you will need some cash, for tips, etc., but I don't take much - even with TC's you can break it, to get cash back!!! Last year while we were in WDW I walked in there with not a penny of cash. I used Disney Dollars (DD) for parking, tipping, remaining balance on my room and used TC's for food and other nondisney stuff! Besides if you lost your card - you are messed up (yeah you can get your monies back later, but come on what a downer on vacation) - if you loose cash - oh boy- its over - but if you TC's you call the company that issued them (in my case AAA - and they are replaced within 24 hours) - how good is that!!! - A temporary downer!!!

For the most part, I usually bring enough cash on me so that I can buy things like bottled water or snacks from those stands that don't have a swiper for debit cards/credit cards. Technically it is safer to have a traveler's check, but even if I did lose my debit card, I write "See ID" on the back of all my cards so hopefully cashiers are checking ID. But let's just say I try very hard not to get that kind of stuff lost. I like the convienience of paying with a depit when you don't want to be trying to find bills and coins, but cash is handy for small things. Either way you pay is acceptable, there are atm machines inside the park as well.

Oops! Typo on my part! :blush: I meant that I'd heard they weren't used in the parks!! Glad to hear they are! I think we'll go with traveller's cheques for the most part. Thanks for the help! :flower:

One hint that i read on Mousesavers was to use your credit card/debit card to "buy" disney dollars at the Emporium or at the bank on main street. It will show up as just a store purchase.. keep the receipt and exchange the Disney Dollars into cash. It's a handy way to get around the high ATM fees (The ATM charges $2 AND your bank will charge you another fee.. mine is $3!) and have cash at hand for (ODV) carts .. gotta buy some Churros!.. and for things outside the park. And avoid the high fees for withdrawing cash form credit card.

As for the debit card.. I overheard another customer on my last trip (November) trying to use a debit card at Riverbell Terrace and the CM asked if it had Visa or Mastercard logo on it.. it did not.. they would NOT take it.
My bank/ATM card is basically a debit card BUT it has a visa logo and is scanned as a credit card by the store's registers. It's the only card I have with me when we go to DL - and small amt of cash.

FYI: debt cards are not as safe as credit cards. Most credit cards give theft protection where debit cards do not. When we travel I take enough cash for things like tips and vendor service, but use my credit card for all other purchases. Most credit cards will even insure your purchases in case they get lost, not debit cards. :rotfl: :cool1:

I almost exclusively use credit cards, just like I do at home. I do bring $25/day cash for vending cart purchases, as these do not except CC.

funnygarcia said:
One hint that i read on Mousesavers was to use your credit card/debit card to "buy" disney dollars at the Emporium or at the bank on main street. It will show up as just a store purchase.. keep the receipt and exchange the Disney Dollars into cash. It's a handy way to get around the high ATM fees (The ATM charges $2 AND your bank will charge you another fee.. mine is $3!) and have cash at hand for (ODV) carts .. gotta buy some Churros!..

Great tip - Those carts take DD too - bought those wonderful mouse ears ice cream sandwiches, soda, etc. I think EVERY place takes DD's - even paid for my non-voucher portion and tip at Rain Forest Cafe'. I paid for parking using DD's, my remaining balance on my room, food, etc. I had $350 in DD when I went to WDW last year (we only stayed 3 nights onsite - and we had 13 + food vouchers) I did not spend $1 in cash/debit/travelers cheques, etc. I loved that about Disney - Everyone in my family of 3 were able to get whatever they wanted while there and we only took home $5 in DD - by accident - because I had no intention in leaving with any, but it help with the saving on my upcoming trip - wish they would start selling them in the stores again!!! :wave2:

"Buying" Disney Dollars. OF COURSE! That sounds brilliant! And here I was succumbing to the "this isn't your regular bank ATM" fees per withdrawl! Usually I will have cash on hand ready to go, but that is a great way to get "cash" when you need it and don't want to pay the extra fees. GREAT idea! :goodvibes

I am in Canada and am planning to get Travellers Cheques (in US dollars). Will I be able to cash Travellers Cheques at the bank in Disneyland? Is there a limit?

You should be able to use TC's at any store--when you make a purchase, they should be able to give you cash back for the difference. I know that's what we do at the Disney Store, so I don't see why it would be different at an attraction that gets people from all over the world! :flower:

formats. You could call Disney and ask, but I doubt they're set up to do international exchage...assuming your TC would be in Canadian dollars.

A comment about debit cards not being a safe...I disagree! Mine is a Mastercard so I get the protection that all Mastercard users have, PLUS the card has a $300 a day limit...so there's no way someone could clear out my account before I got the company contacted.

With travelers checks you need to know what protection the issuing company offers. I had a friend who was out several hundered dollars over a situation like this. Somehow someone was able to cash her lost checks and the company she bought them from denied liability. I know there are trustworth traveler's check companies...make sure you use one of them!

A suggestion...make photocopies of all your id's and credit cards prior to leaving home and keep these in your suitcase. That way if the worse does happen, you have the info you need to report a loss.

just a note...if you're travelers checks are international like American Express they will take them..However, if they arent, most hotels are set up to help with the foreign exchange...You can use travelers checks in every store, ODV cart, restaurant, everywhere...

lntsmom said:
formats. A suggestion...make photocopies of all your id's and credit cards prior to leaving home and keep these in your suitcase. That way if the worse does happen, you have the info you need to report a loss.

I would not suggust putting it in your luggage unless you are keeping the luggage with you or you can keep it locked.

LuvCinderelly: a 16 year old who can't wait to go shopping!! Are you sure you need to worry about this :rotfl: - if she is anything like mine, consider it($$) gone before you land!!!!! Have a wonderful trip.

Radopt - Too funny! :rotfl: And how true! She discovered all the web-sites for shopping near Disneyland and has been making a list of 'must do' stores!! :worried: This could get VERY expensive! LOL! I have to keep reminding her we have 1.5 days for shopping...I'm not going to Disney to spend all my time at the mall! :rotfl:

I think we've pretty much decided to forget the traveller's cheques and just stick with using the debit card at the ATM machine every couple of days. And our credit cards if we have to. That way we don't have to worry about the extra traveller's cheques that we may not want to take to the parks that day! I think getting the Disney Dollars will be a great idea too! The kids would love that! :flower:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter