• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Trial Run for Dogs in Resort Rooms

Do you think dogs should be allowed in guests' rooms?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe everyone sending in an email pro or con is getting calls and emails back from disney execs. We sent in a pro email and got calls and emails back. It is nice disney is doing this for both sides.
Yeah, I got the same thing.

Hi. I just want to share a little more from the allergy/anxiety side and of the fence. My son has autism and fears dogs ever since one knocked him down when he was two. Dog people tell me that with the right exposure, he'll get used to dogs. Ummm,, not so much. As for me, I sincerely like the idea of dogs. If I see you walking your dog, I am likely to smile and say how cute it is from a safe distance. I bear dogs no ill will. I loved the idea of the dog parade at the GF during the hurricane because it meant people and their pets were safe and having fun. But, if I'd been there, I wouldn't have been so pleased with the dogs. I just can't breathe and be around them at the same time. Even Portuguese water dogs cause me some asthma, though not the full out rash, asthma, eyes so swollen the blood vessels burst combo a more furry dog can cause. I always have Benadryl and an EpiPen around and mostly, I avoid dogs, but I realize that sometimes I will encounter them. When I do, I expect employees of wherever I am to respect my health and work with me to avoid dog proximity .

A few years ago, I was on a flight with a dog. The dog owner was supposed to place the crated dog under the window seat in front of her. For whatever weird reason, she decided that placing him under my seat, which was an aisle,would be more comfortable for the dog. I told the flight attendant that I couldn't tolerate having a dog under my seat. The dog owner's companion piped up, "She paid $200 to bring that dog!" The flight attendant said, "Yeah, she paid $200 to bring that dog!" My husband said, "She didn't pay $200 so that the plane can make an emergency landing in Baltimore when my wife can't breathe!" My point is that just because dogs are allowed and someone has paid extra doesn't mean those of us with allergies should just suck it up and have to suffer. Dog owners are paying extra for the room cleaning, not for pet impunity So much of WDW is walking and I can't walk if I can't breathe.
I am disappointed to have to cross YC and POR off of my potential resorts list. These two are the ones we would have been most likely to visit; we aren't a big enough family for AoA and the FW cabins aren't to my taste. But I get it: the pro-dog contingent has what they want. I'm fine with that as they respect my health and boundaries. PS we were eventually moved to the front of that plane.

Do you mind sharing what airline this was. I am sorry you had to experience such unprofessional conduct on the part of the flight attendant.

I got a call today. I expressed my unhappiness about the Yacht Club adding pet rooms. He was aware we changed our vacation plans due to the test.

Interestingly, he mentioned that it's hard to know if the test will last all the way until Oct 15. He said some Disney tests conclude early, some don't. I didn't ask anything about test length, his comments were unprompted.

I thought we had a good discussion.

Kenny the Pirate Crew. She hasn’t said if she’s ok with her post being shared yet, so I didn’t want to link it.

If it's a public post, you can link to it (but not copy it). That's the point of public.

The first pair of dogs at POR was greeted on arrival by management apparently. Note: photos were taken in the lobby, so you should at least expect to find occasional dogs present briefly while guests are checking in.

Andre

If it's a public post, you can link to it (but not copy it). That's the point of public.

The first pair of dogs at POR was greeted on arrival by management apparently. Note: photos were taken in the lobby, so you should at least expect to find occasional dogs present briefly while guests are checking in.

Andre
Hi Andre, yeah I guess I meant I wasn’t sure if she had posted wanting only the ktp crew to see. Trying to be respectful. I’m big on privacy myself :)

It was the comment that the pro dog ppl get what they want implying that it’s b/c ppl demanded it that I was referring to. But I can 100% respect that you would expect ppl to respect your health issues. In the airline example you gave, was the lady breaking the rules? I wasn’t sure in your post?
She was permitted to bring the dog, but he was supposed to be under the seat in front of her, which was a window seat. She put him under my seat because there was more room since it was an aisle, so she wasn't wrong for bringing the dog, but for placing him under my seat.

A few years ago, I was on a flight with a dog. The dog owner was supposed to place the crated dog under the window seat in front of her. For whatever weird reason, she decided that placing him under my seat, which was an aisle,would be more comfortable for the dog. I told the flight attendant that I couldn't tolerate having a dog under my seat. The dog owner's companion piped up, "She paid $200 to bring that dog!" The flight attendant said, "Yeah, she paid $200 to bring that dog!" My husband said, "She didn't pay $200 so that the plane can make an emergency landing in Baltimore when my wife can't breathe!"

That situation from a few years ago sounds absolutely awful, and I'm sorry that happened to you. I thought the space in front of you was YOUR space, and that anyone sitting in the other seats doesn't have any rights to it. How presumptuous of that dog owner to think "oh, that's a better spot, Fifi prefers the aisle over the window". Maybe it was so she could stretch her legs out in front of her without having her dog crate in HER way. :)

She was permitted to bring the dog, but he was supposed to be under the seat in front of her, which was a window seat. She put him under my seat because there was more room since it was an aisle, so she wasn't wrong for bringing the dog, but for placing him under my seat.
Oh ok. So it really doesn’t matter how much she paid, she was breaking the rules. The flight attendant should have intervened appropriately.

It was Jetblue. We usually have great experiences with them. I think this flight attendant was new or not that bright because another flight attendant intervened, apologized and moved my seat away from the dog. I understand that the window seat was a little more cramped, but that was where the dog belonged. (Also, if it were my pet cat traveling, I would want to be able to see her as we flew, make sure she was OK and soothe her if she felt frightened or started to cry.) I am fine being places where dogs are present as long as they are not close enough to make me break out and start wheezing, so I'm hoping if dogs become a permanent presence at Disney that others can be understanding. Honestly, if it weren't for my allergies, I would love to own a Collie.

One other question: just wondering if additional CMs have been hired to oversee dog areas, check vaccination certificates etc. or if the current workers just have more work to do?

Let’s talk dog feces. I contend that because of this new dog policy, the 4 resorts in question will have significant occurrences of dog feces throughout the resort area. I don’t believe all dog owners will pick up after their dog even if bag stations are available. I am of this opinion due to my own observations of some dog owners around me.

I live in an upper middle class suburban neighborhood. There are many homes with dogs. Every day I observe the residents of my neighborhood walking their dogs. Almost 99% of the time I see them with a plastic poop bag (empty or full). There is social peer pressure to clean up after your dog when he goes on a neighbor’s property. So far so good. However, I still sometimes find dog feces on my front lawn near the road. How is that possible you say?

I have also observed that when the sun goes down, the number of dog walkers with bags in their hands drops significantly. In other words, as soon as the offender becomes “anonymous” because he can no longer be seen/identified, the social pressure to pick up after the dog goes away.

When an individual is on vacation, they are effectively an anonymous person and their dog is not taking a dump on the neighbor’s lawn. They are fouling some corporation’s property. It’s going to be even more frequent if no other guests are around or it’s dark outside. It’s simply human nature.

I’m sure none of the readers of this thread would ever do that, but I think in a random sample of visitors with dogs, you will see a significant number of these occurrences. Dog feces in the grass or on the walkway takes away from the beauty of the resort. The smell as these “gifts” heat up in the hot humid air will of course add to the unpleasantness. I have little confidence that Disney will hire sufficient additional staff to monitor and cleanup all public areas of dog feces in a timely manner.

Finally, when we also consider that the offending dog owners are all paying $50-$75/night to keep their dogs at the resort, the number of dog owners prone not to pick up their dogs feces will rise even more. They will rationalize it as “Hey why should I pick it up? I’m paying $350/week to house this dog. Let someone else do it.”

Even if only a small minority of dog owners behave this way, it’s still not something I want to encounter when paying $200-$600/night.

Let’s talk dog feces. I contend that because of this new dog policy, the 4 resorts in question will have significant occurrences of dog feces throughout the resort area. I don’t believe all dog owners will pick up after their dog even if bag stations are available. I am of this opinion due to my own observations of some dog owners around me.

I live in an upper middle class suburban neighborhood. There are many homes with dogs. Every day I observe the residents of my neighborhood walking their dogs. Almost 99% of the time I see them with a plastic poop bag (empty or full). There is social peer pressure to clean up after your dog when he goes on a neighbor’s property. So far so good. However, I still sometimes find dog feces on my front lawn near the road. How is that possible you say?

I have also observed that when the sun goes down, the number of dog walkers with bags in their hands drops significantly. In other words, as soon as the offender becomes “anonymous” because he can no longer be seen/identified, the social pressure to pick up after the dog goes away.

When an individual is on vacation, they are effectively an anonymous person and their dog is not taking a dump on the neighbor’s lawn. They are fouling some corporation’s property. It’s going to be even more frequent if no other guests are around or it’s dark outside. It’s simply human nature.

I’m sure none of the readers of this thread would ever do that, but I think in a random sample of visitors with dogs, you will see a significant number of these occurrences. Dog feces in the grass or on the walkway takes away from the beauty of the resort. The smell as these “gifts” heat up in the hot humid air will of course add to the unpleasantness. I have little confidence that Disney will hire sufficient additional staff to monitor and cleanup all public areas of dog feces in a timely manner.

Finally, when we also consider that the offending dog owners are all paying $50-$75/night to keep their dogs at the resort, the number of dog owners prone not to pick up their dogs feces will rise even more. They will rationalize it as “Hey why should I pick it up? I’m paying $350/week to house this dog. Let someone else do it.”

Even if only a small minority of dog owners behave this way, it’s still not something I want to encounter when paying $200-$600/night.
You may be right about offenders & housekeeping has been not so great lately. But, I still think that wdw does a great job of meticulously maintaining the grounds. I think they will pick it up (even though they shouldn’t have to).

I'm staying at Yacht Club over Christmas with my pup and can't wait, as we originally had Best Friends Pet booked. I never posted on here but noticed there were some proponents (and opponents) of the new dog policy at Disney and got the urge to finally speak up.

I can't help but think some of the opponents haven't ventured OUT of Disney World, as some of the more high end luxury resorts in the world are in fact pet friendly (ie. Four Seasons and Ritz Carlton).

Anywho, we'll be there with our pup and so glad we can have him with us at night. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter