Trial Run for Dogs in Resort Rooms

Do you think dogs should be allowed in guests' rooms?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's really unfair that we should even have concerns 2 weeks before we leave for WDW, after working for 4 years to save for our trip.

We are dreading this trip now. But I guess that doesn't matter if a few people can take photos of their dogs in the resorts for the Instagram likes.

I really feel for you having been put in this situation. (It's reminiscent of the last minute notice given to CBR and CSR guests re. major construction work, but this presents some guests with potentially greater problems.)

I hope that it works out OK for you and you have a really great time.

Can someone post the email address of the individual’s to complain to again please as I’ve done a general email but want to do to specific people. I don’t think it will make much difference but I can’t change from POR without paying over £2000 and it costs me too much coming from the UK every year as it is!
The only person at WDW that can reverse this horrible new policy is: George Kalogridis. His email is: george.kalogridis@disney.com

Sure, but imagine this was cats now. You ply yourself to go visit your friend right?

You’ve laid out $5-7000 for you & your family to go to WDW let’s imagine. It’s holiday time, so resorts are full. You have 5 in your family so resort choice is limited to begin with.

You arrive at your resort. You’ve been put in a cat room. Not a house, a small room where many cats have been. You ask to be moved. No csn do! No more rooms for 5 - it’s the holidays after all!

You take your meds which make you feel off. If you’re unlucky like my kiddo you get a full blown asthma attack the first night. & you can’t stop it so now you wind up in emerg in a foreign country that has the most expensive health care in the world. So somebody could bring their cat to Disney.

You know it’s going to happen to somebody. Odds are good that sooner or later it’s going to happen. Why is their vacation less important than yours?

Everyone's vacation is important and for the record I too have asthma. I think there is much speculation that disney
resorts will be overrun with pets in all rooms. I tend to believe the rooms for pets will be limited much like the room numbers available for a discount.

Agree with many of your points. We would not bring our fur kids to Disney since there is not a place, including a grand villa, that is as nice as their McMansion at home. Additionally since we fly I wouldn't want to expose them to being in a kennel in cargo. I could be wrong but I don't think the resorts will become overrun with dogs as it seems Disney will be limiting the number of rooms for guests with dogs.

Let's all take a deep breath and see how this tests go. If it does go badly (someone gets bitten) I have no qualms admitting I was wrong. If the tests reveals no problems will others admit they were wrong in assuming it would go badly?

Sure. Why not? Our egos aren’t involved here. It would be nice if we could all get what we want. If Disney confined this to 1 resort I’m pretty sure there would be less outrage. I wouldn’t mind that. Easy to avoid for the non-pet people & win-win.

It does not look like that is where they are going with this tho. The year long « trial » reeks of permenancy & expansion. Fingers crossed I’m wrong.

I was just thinking the same thing. People with dogs have to first become aware of the policy, then plan and book a trip possibly months in the future. So for a good portion of the trial period participation will likely be low, giving a false impression of how it may affect things when participation is higher later on.
That is likely why they set a publicly know year long trial which is quite a while especially when other things are on a shorter trial or an unknown time frame.

But really it can't be both too long of a time period (expressed in this thread) and at the same time be too short (edited a word) of a time period.

On the notice front yes several days is too little time for sure on both sides of the coin.

Everyone's vacation is important and for the record I too have asthma. I think there is much speculation that disney
resorts will be overrun with pets in all rooms. I tend to believe the rooms for pets will be limited much like the room numbers available for a discount.
Of course everyone’s vacation is important, but people have been going to Disney for years without their dog or kenneling their dog at WDW. You do not need your dog on a WDW vacation.

Let's all take a deep breath and see how this tests go. If it does go badly (someone gets bitten) I have no qualms admitting I was wrong. If the tests reveals no problems will others admit they were wrong in assuming it would go badly?

I hope that nobody's vacation is ruined by this. I hope that this doesn't end badly for anyone. But I will never support or praise this move by Disney.

According to the map, there is a doggy relief area right by Parterre Place that is only close to the Royal Rooms. I bet some standard/garden royal rooms are included.

Yes, outside of YC there seem to be multiple dog walking spots at the other resorts and indeed one by the Royal Rooms. I thought someone here or on another thread was told by a CM they were included as well. And someone called about YC and found Club level was included which means they'll be on the 5th floor and using the elevator. Can't imagine they'd only offer Club level rooms either so that means the same for at least one other floor.

They're putting themselves first, not any group of guests over another group. At $50-75 a night, they could stand to make a lot of money from this.

I just received a call from Disney after an email regarding my concerns for an upcoming stay at AoA. I missed the call but they left a message offering to move me based on availability. I still have to call them back but am just wondering what they will offer. Whether or not I will have to pay if I want to “upgrade” or if they’ll refund the difference if I have to downgrade. Was really looking forward to stay at AoA for the first time.
They will upgrade you at no additional cost (you may have to speak with a Manager or ask to be connected with Guest Services) but they most likely will not refund the difference if you downgrade. Always go for the upgrade.

Of course everyone’s vacation is important, but people have been going to Disney for years without their dog or kenneling their dog at WDW. You do not need your dog on a WDW vacation.

I agree. People have been going to WDW and staying at WDW hotels for 46 years without their dogs in their rooms (small number of service dogs and beginning a few years ago at certain campsites, excepted). You do not need your dog on a WDW vacation.

They will upgrade you at no additional cost (you may have to speak with a Manager or ask to be connected with Guest Services) but they most likely will not refund the difference if you downgrade. Always go for the upgrade.
Posters earlier in this thread were told the exact opposite. Do you have a link, inside information or did you just make it up?

Yes, outside of YC there seem to be multiple dog walking spots at the other resorts and indeed one by the Royal Rooms. I thought someone here or on another thread was told by a CM they were included as well. And someone called about YC and found Club level was included which means they'll be on the 5th floor and using the elevator. Can't imagine they'd only offer Club level rooms either so that means the same for at least one other floor.

I know Disney states "designated dog rooms", but I wonder if Disney will even make which exact rooms public knowledge. I bet they won't because they only have an "area" designated. I bet they don't truly have designated dog rooms. Meaning they can branch out to other rooms close by whenever necessary.

I'm super late to this party, and this decision just means I'll simply stay at the Swolphin more than I already do, although I did enjoy an occasional stay at the YC, but no big deal.

So, forgive me if this has been covered, but if you get in early, use MDE (shudder, its terrible without dogs), and your room isn't ready...what's the plan there? You can't go to the parks, I'd suppose you can't put Fido in with bell services, so, what's the plan?

Ultimately, they may be putting themselves first, but in terms of this particular policy, they're also, effectively putting one group's wants over another's needs. :(

Yes, but only because there is money involved. If they were letting dogs in for free, that would be a different story :) This is like many of their other upcharges which affect people or take something away

Or it could backfire on them if people start sneaking in their pets to avoid paying the fee.

Absolutely! And if people started avoiding these four resorts, I bet they will get rid of the policy

Sure. Why not? Our egos aren’t involved here. It would be nice if we could all get what we want. If Disney confined this to 1 resort I’m pretty sure there would be less outrage. I wouldn’t mind that. Easy to avoid for the non-pet people & win-win.

It does not look like that is where they are going with this tho. The year long « trial » reeks of permenancy & expansion. Fingers crossed I’m wrong.

And the poop stations indicate these dogs will be spread throughout the resort. There is ZERO reason to have poop stations far away from dog rooms because Disney says they can't be on the public walkways. The rate is very reasonable! They have too lax rules, more lax than any other hotels so that they will appeal to a wide base. Disney is lining up it's ducks to make dogs very welcome resort wide, whether adding resorts or expanding to full resorts. A YEAR LONG trial forces it on everyone, hopes we let it go and they can keep claiming it's just a test until they are over the hump. It's their canned answer, just a test.

No breed restrictions, No size restrictions, Unattended allowed, 7 hours unattended, allowed on resort internal buses (it's a dog, they like to walk, why do they need a bus ride?) .... Common sense is when you try something new you start out strict and over time as you see how things work out you reduce restrictions. But Disney has started with virtually no rules and will have a very difficult time implementing them later when they see issues. But these lax rules will pull folks from neighboring resorts, most which won't allow unattended.

The funny thing is I have said for some time Disney is moving towards their adult base because honestly that is where the big bucks are for dining, drinking, spending, special events etc ............ This screams of adult base, many folks have dogs instead of children, many older guests have dogs that are like children and they want to travel with them, adults would tend to have less fears, or more able to stay aware of allergies etc. I know when we were shopping in St Augustine realtor told us dogs have had big influence there on changes for rules of condos and rentals, many restaurants adding patios for dogs etc. They realize the pet is going through a huge surge in this country.

If Disney is getting rid of "value, moderate etc" and just creating an individual identity for resorts .......... this makes sense. POR is in need of renovations, is laid back woodsy and green ........ YC has never had lots of people stating they love it, folks always say stay at BC and it seems a more sedate adult resort, FW is already dog friendly and a perfect spot, AoA is confusing, maybe they are having problems selling those suites - they totally should have made ASMu all dog resort; perfect for it.

Disney seems to be personalizing resorts with it's own pros ... maybe it will expand to other resorts, maybe we will see these resorts spread among many rooms ... for sure this is just the beginning of what I think will be lots of changes in Disney's offering. There are simply way too many being built offsite that offer more amenities .... Disney has to rebrand to some degree what makes them special, right now their perks may not be enough anymore.

Last edited:
I'm super late to this party, and this decision just means I'll simply stay at the Swolphin more than I already do, although I did enjoy an occasional stay at the YC, but no big deal.

So, forgive me if this has been covered, but if you get in early, use MDE (shudder, its terrible without dogs), and your room isn't ready...what's the plan there? You can't go to the parks, I'd suppose you can't put Fido in with bell services, so, what's the plan?
I would think you would have to put it at the kennel or wait with fido outside until a room opens up. Those "pet friendly rooms may take longer to clean since housekeeping will not go in your room unless you are there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter