Trial Run for Dogs in Resort Rooms

Do you think dogs should be allowed in guests' rooms?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a trip staying at AoA booked in 14 days! While I love dogs I am allergic and really do not want to deal with the increased possibility of sneezing and itching during a vacation I paid a lot of money for! I called yesterday and was told they would do their best to give me a room that had been cleaned and try to keep me away from pet friendly rooms, but I ended up switching resorts (thus paying extra) ...I don't want to take the chance. It seems like Disney could have at least given more notice prior to rolling out this new policy so those with current, upcoming reservations could make decisions while more resorts were available. As a family of 6, our options are pretty limited already and taking away AoA and the Cabins as options makes things pretty difficult for allergy sufferers.

This topic is getting UGLY...

Im out.

EzYxBxV.jpg

But, this is all about Disney World - the happiest place on Earth! :rolleyes1

Seriously, though, this has been extremely polarizing.

The thing is , they can do this crap and that's fine , kids are getting older and frankly I'm adding up the money I blew there in the last decade and it's a lot , but don't put this policy in 35 days before I'm getting there , they should have gave a time when there goin to roll it out , the dogs will be ****ting in the grass, getting loose , nipping people , and barking . It's such a piss poor decision I'm racking my brain wondering who it's beneficial too.

I was literally just thinking about this. If they are allowed to place crated dogs under the bus with the luggage, what happens when that dog relieves itself and the urine runs down the floor and onto everyone’s luggage?

People wouldn't actually subject their poor pet to being transported in a kennel in a dark cargo space under a bus..would they?!?!?

How much is a day of doggy care? You're already paying $50 per night to have a dog stay in your room. Is that $50 per dog? Or per dog room?

It cost us $35 per night for 24 hour care at the place where we boarded my last dog. We sprang for grooming on top of that. My current dog only stayed there once because Grandma and Grandpa will take her. She's so sweet and adorable they enjoy doting on her. Our previous dog wasn't as lovable. LOL!

Anyhow, like everything Disney, this dog friendly deal is gonna cost the guests big time.

I don’t necessarily see it as a contradiction. One public area with furniture they may be in is the lobby. Not everyone can bypass the front desk, and if they decide they need to review your vaccination paperwork, pet guests may actually be required to go to the front desk. So they have to have this kind of wording so people are aware of the rules (whether enforced is another matter).

The contradiction comes from whether dogs are or are not allowed in common areas that all other guests are using. The impression I got from their statements, initial responses etc is that non-dog folks should not be impacted because these dogs would be restricted to specific rooms and areas of resort with their "pet walkway" to their "relief area." Folks were stating there should be no crossover of non-dog guests with the dogs - so nothing to fear.

But the followup comments and statements seem to indicate that the dogs are permitted on all the walkways all around resort, all the common areas including lobby that are not "walled off" like food court, pool, fitness center. This leaves open dogs at bus stops (they can ride internal bus), dogs at playgrounds, dogs on beaches, dogs on common walkways etc. You can't profess to non-dog guests their vacation won't be impacted because the dogs will be in restricted areas, when in fact they won't.

It gets frustrating when a place you love to go and should be able to do better, throws out this totally new random program with little consistency in information (other than the price), such uninformed CMs (you hand them all a packet of FACTS before you do PR release), so little time to prepare and essentially removing 3 moderately priced resorts from those in that budget .......... with a fairly rule-less policy not in keeping with industry standards.

Disclaimer: Have two dogs who are spoiled and they vacation with us, to dog friendly beach. Would never consider taking them to Disney and locking them all in a room all week. I would spend double the money and let them go to the pet resort and be pampered.

I am not allergic nor fearful of dogs, but I fully appreciate and feel terrible for those who are. I have dealt with neighbors in two communities (nice ones) who don't understand rules and boundaries for dog bathroom time. At Disney I expect it to be worse since these folks will be gone in a few days and have no personal incentive to scoop, or get to proper spots. It's Disney where sadly guests consistently do what they please as if others don't matter.

How much is a day of doggy care? You're already paying $50 per night to have a dog stay in your room. Is that $50 per dog? Or per dog room?

It cost us $35 per night for 24 hour care at the place where we boarded my last dog. We sprang for grooming on top of that. My current dog only stayed there once because Grandma and Grandpa will take her. She's so sweet and adorable they enjoy doting on her. Our previous dog wasn't as lovable. LOL!

Anyhow, like everything Disney, this dog friendly deal is gonna cost the guests big time.

I think $27 per day per dog.

If I brought my two to Disney and left in room, $350 a week.

If I brought my two to Disney & added Daycare, $750 a week.

If I take my two to their Pet Resort here at home, $800+ a week. But that includes me not taking them back and forth with us (8 hrs each way), back and forth to doggie day care, two baths one before I pick them up, private or group activities like swimming lessons, ice cream .....which do you think my furbabies will enjoy?

Last edited:
We love our dog and we always return with lots of souvenirs for her, because we left her with Grandma. That being said I do not want to worry about her while we are at the park or something happening to her or her hurting someone else. My dog is well behaved, but that is with her family. New surroundings and unfamiliar people seems like a recipe for disaster for a dog and their family.

I am still impatiently waiting for implementation at POR. I have time to change but don't want to. :surfweb: A lot of research went into resort selection, like six months worth. I'm one of those allergic people who will not die but will be miserable. If this is done well, and it can be, I will keep my reservation. If there are numerous reports of abuses, pets in non-pet friendly rooms, no set aside areas, pets in common areas etc., I will have to make a switch. The only option for my plans would be POFQ and I do not like the decor. It is almost worse than the clown pool at BWI....scary and grotesque.

I would also like to know how much the daycare is going to be.

It's nice you have someone to watch your dog when you vacation and you can truly relax knowing everything is fine. When we boarded our 2 dogs this past summer it costs us $800 for 6 nights with all the extra walks and playtime added in. It gets expensive. I do nothing but worry and think about them when I'm at Disney. I call at least once a day to check in on them.

As for the walkways, dogs will be going on walks. Like real walks. Even my little fella needs at least two 15 minute walks a day. You can't keep a dog cooped up all day and night.

I don't think they will be allowed in the pool areas or food courts though. But I would assume all of the walkways will be used

We love our dog and we always return with lots of souvenirs for her, because we left her with Grandma. That being said I do not want to worry about her while we are at the park or something happening to her or her hurting someone else. My dog is well behaved, but that is with her family. New surroundings and unfamiliar people seems like a recipe for disaster for a dog and their family.
Well, now you have a new source of doggy souvenirs at POR, YC, AoA and Fort Wilderness. They claim to be adding pet specific merchandise at these resorts.

I would also like to know how much the daycare is going to be.

It's nice you have someone to watch your dog when you vacation and you can truly relax knowing everything is fine. When we boarded our 2 dogs this past summer it costs us $800 for 6 nights with all the extra walks and playtime added in. It gets expensive. I do nothing but worry and think about them when I'm at Disney. I call at least once a day to check in on them.

Prices are on the website.

I am so glad my upcoming trip is not at one of these resorts because I would definitely be changing it. I love dogs, but I do not think they should be at Disneyworld, stuck in a hotel room. Next month, we were seriously considering buying into DVC. Now DH say no, we have to wait to see if dogs are allowed at those resorts in the future...and if they are...no DVC for us.
As a DVC member, I can tell you if Disney allows dogs in DVC rooms (would they even be allowed to do that?) we are ready to make a huge stink! As someone with pet allergies, I am very disappointed Disney is making this change.

As for the walkways, dogs will be going on walks. Like real walks. Even my little fella needs at least two 15 minute walks a day. You can't keep a dog cooped up all day and night.

I don't think they will be allowed in the pool areas or food courts though. But I would assume all of the walkways will be used
And that is a huge problem for guests who cannot or do not want to be exposed to them. Unless they’ve magically constructed brand new doggy only walkways in the woods in the last 48 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter