Trimming a tomato plant?

katerkat

I wine a lot...it makes me feel better
So my MIL planted a tomato plant for us. So far, it has grown wildly out of control and is now bigger than me - taller and wider. It's tied to three different stakes. And it has produced all of 3 tomatoes, all of which are tiny and green still. (three weeks later) Mom said I need to trim the plant. So, how? Which branches do you decide to get rid of? How much?

I had the same problem with my grape tomato plant!

I trimmed several branches - here's how I did it (whether this is the proper way to go is beyond me LOL!)

I would follow each branch from tip downward until I hit tomoatoes or flowers. Then I would snip ABOVE that - to keep the fruit/flowers, but get rid of excess green. You may also want to trim branches around the base of the plant that have no fruit/flowers so the energy goes to where it is needed rather than making more green. I have about 7 or 8 stakes around mine, one for each branch.

Your plant sounds HUGE! Good luck!:D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter