Trip Insurance coverage

JAM113

Mouseketeer
I'm overwhelmed trying to purchase trip insurance. We haven't purchased it for any of our previous cruises, but since this next cruise is to the Caribbean during hurricane season, we're thinking it's a little more important. Am I supposed to be looking for specific hurricane coverage? Do I need to purchase Cancel for Any Reason? Or is weather covered under the basic coverage. Thanks in advance for any advice.

I would suggest applying for a Chase Sapphire Reserve credit card. If you charge the cruise to this card you get travel insurance for no extra charge. The coverage is excellent.

Or just the Chase Sapphire Preferred card as it has the coverage too with only a $95 annual fee (compared to $450). Although the total coverage mayb slightly less, but it's been more than enough for our trips.

It also includes primary rental car insurance and higher limits on lost luggage than alot of the no fee cards among other things.

Weather is generally included under basic coverage. Go to a site like smart mouth where you can compare multiple policies.

i had looked on insure my trip ...com and found insurance for our party of 5 from anywhere from $100-216 for a September 3-day Dream cruise. But I booked through costco and they said the DCL insurance was only $226 - (which includes 75% credit on a future cruise for "cancel for any reason" which most regular insurance doesn't have). I was using Disney CCs to book which gave me about 10% off so I just went for it... But normally, I go to that website and compare policies and prices.

We always hope that luck is with us, after nine DCL cruises, as we travel with no insurance. Somehow, in letting DCL arrange all the transportation we let the fates determine our, ah, fate. I know it is a chance we are taking and we don't live in Las Vegas. I would weigh your kind of cruise, the transportation connections, the time of year (hurricanes, etc.) and what makes you comfortable. It is truly a personal decision...cruise on!!

No reason to travel with no insurance. Just apply for a credit card that gives you free insurance. The Chase Sapphire Reserve really only cost $150 per year since you get a $300 travel credit every year. Plus you get free Priority Pass Lounge access at airports.

We purchased travel insurance from Allianz. They do not have cancel for any reason, but it did cover the reasons we would cancel anyway (weather, loss of job, medical emergency, etc). Our plan also had much better coverage for pre-existing medical conditions than the Disney insurance and cost about $200 less. Of course, every policy is different so be sure to read the whole thing

We typically do not purchase cancel for any reason as it's quite expensive. The one time we did was when we had to book business class flights to Italy before our 24 hour hold was up or the price would virtually double. We were waiting on friends to book their travel and there was a possibility that they'd either want to go in/out of different cities than we'd planned, slightly different dates, or back out entirely. Usually we just go with a reasonably comprehensive package that includes things like weather, family illness or death, personal illness, etc. - things that are deemed to be outside of our control or planning. Cancel for any reason can more than double the cost of the insurance but allows you pretty broad latitude to cancel like loss of job, sudden other expenses that make the trip difficult, etc. We also include trip interruption as well as cancellation insurance. Particularly for a cruise, I'm primarily concerned with evacuation costs if I get sick or injured on a ship. We also take medical insurance. It all depends on your situation and expectation of unrefundable costs, or unexpected costs due to trip interruption.

I would suggest applying for a Chase Sapphire Reserve credit card. If you charge the cruise to this card you get travel insurance for no extra charge. The coverage is excellent.

Does the card provide pre-existing conditions as coverage if you use the card to charge cruise? In addition, does it cover every individual in your party as long as they are listed in same stateroom as you when you charged it on the card?

After countless trips and price shopping for insurance, I now simply purchase our policies through Travel Insured International. I find their coverage to be comprehensive and their prices are reasonable. They have also been very responsive and helpful when I've had to file a claim. We do not purchase cancel for any reason as I find it to be very expensive and we don't really need it for our family. I have a cc that offers travel insurance, but it typically does not offer enough coverage for our trips, plus, I like to use our Disney Visa for our DCL cruises.

After purchasing insurance for many individual cruises, through both DCL and for later cruises through third-party insurance carriers, we have gone to an annual plan (from Allianz) that covers all of our trips for a 12 month period. That way, we have coverage for air fares and lodging that we arrange ourselves rather than through the cruise line, evacuation and medical coverage, trip interruption, lost luggage, etc., and even collision damage for rental cars. We have been doing two or three trips per year, so the cost has been much more economical than covering individual trips.

I'm overwhelmed trying to purchase trip insurance. We haven't purchased it for any of our previous cruises, but since this next cruise is to the Caribbean during hurricane season, we're thinking it's a little more important. Am I supposed to be looking for specific hurricane coverage? Do I need to purchase Cancel for Any Reason? Or is weather covered under the basic coverage. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Do you have AAA? We have booked travel insurance through them (with the cancel for any reason included) in the past and have purchased again for an upcoming cruise. They have a special policy through Allianz and kids are free.

We typically cruise transatlantic or Europe and my retired aged mom travels with us. We book our insurance through insure my trip that includes medical and medical flight back to states if needed.

Our 5th cruise is coming up soon. Previously, we purchased DCL insurance. However, it doesn’t cover anything but the cruise itself (unless you arrange airfare with them also). Our upcoming trip includes pre-cruise visits to France and Spain where strikes and unrest are, unfortunately, a possibility. So we purchased a policy from Allianz so we are covered for all travel possibilities. Our daughter and her family are traveling with us and we were able to buy a policy together and the grandkids were included for free.

I must say I feel more comfortable with this coverage for our upcoming trip. I did a lot of research using the Insure My Trip website.

Many credit card companies, in addition to the Chase cards mentioned, provide some level of travel insurance if you purchase all or part of the trip with their card. A quick search of their website will tell you what they do and don't cover.

I appreciate all the feedback. I was mostly looking to insure the cruise from any hurricane issues. We decided to just go through Disney this time.

No reason to travel with no insurance. Just apply for a credit card that gives you free insurance. The Chase Sapphire Reserve really only cost $150 per year since you get a $300 travel credit every year. Plus you get free Priority Pass Lounge access at airports.

"Buyer beware" when it comes to leveraging this type of coverage. More often than not, you are absolutely NOT getting true insurance but some sort of "coverage." Insurance is handled through an accredited insurance carrier versus the card companies working with various third-parties (or handling internally) to provide some form of coverage back.

Additionally, there are often very specific limitations on what items are considered covered, and strict limits on the max amount of coverage they will provide. A comprehensive, true insurance policy will have many more things included for covered items and will generally allow much more reimbursement (right up to the full cost of the entire trip per person for cancelation).

We purchased travel insurance from Allianz. They do not have cancel for any reason, but it did cover the reasons we would cancel anyway (weather, loss of job, medical emergency, etc). Our plan also had much better coverage for pre-existing medical conditions than the Disney insurance and cost about $200 less. Of course, every policy is different so be sure to read the whole thing

I keep seeing this statement, and it's 100% incorrect. I have purchased coverage from them in the past that offers "cancel for any reason". While it is true that Allianz does not sell these plans on line, they do sell them. You need to pick up the phone and talk to a person to buy it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter