trip plans changed

Disney Dollarless

Earning My Ears
Because of the recent tragedy we had to alter our vacation plans. Which were 9-14 to 9-18. And to top it all off our flights were booked with Midway Airlines, who at first offered to rebook us on other airlines. Then Midway turned around and said NO they would not help us.

To shorten this lengthy tale of woe, lol I called Disney to see if they would accomodate us if we changed dates, i was assured that yes they would as long as we were originally booked to arrive up until 9-16, and they had openings available for the new dates we chose.

So i finally got a date my entire family could work with. October 12, problem was i could not afford any of the airfares being offered for the 5 day time frame, so i decided to add a day. By adding a day the airfares dropped in half for us, go figure! Well Disney had availablity, but now claimed that i changed seasons and Disney then decided to add 20 bucks a night to our room, so the total cost now of changing dates and adding ONE extra night is literally gonna cost me 300 dollars.

Yes i know we are booked at the Boardwalk, one of their more expensive hotels. I booked a studio at 187.50 a night originally. So for the 4 original nights it cost $750.00, which is completely paid for. Now when i arrive i have to get out my wallet again.

Oh the guy from Disney did say he was sorry and there would be some Disney dollars left for me at the check in, but he could not tell me how much.

Should i just bite the bullet and pay it and have fun?? What would you do?:mad:

I know that I'm talking out of both sides of my mouth here, but....as a stockholder, it's not Disney's problem, or responsibility to give you a lower rate, no matter what the circumstances, BUT, as a human being...and in light of these unprecedented circumstances, I think Disney should honor the price of the original reservation. Maybe I should become a politician!(lol!) I think you should push the issue, albeit nicely, and try to get the lower rate. The worst they can say is no. Good Luck, and have a great time!

I would contact Disney again and try to get the lower rate.. If anything I would have thought Oct would be a lower season than Sept, go figure. It was so out of your control that you had to make the change and I think under the circumstances they should be able to help you out. If the person on the phone can't help you ask to speak with their supervisore or even the manager. They should be able to help you. The guy on the phone is only doing his job and maybe someone up higher on the ladder could help you out.. The squeaky wheel get the oil!!!

Unless you bought trip insurance, I think you have got as good a deal as you can expect. Afterall, you picked dates that were convenient for you and your family. If you had picked the following week or some other time during the same value season, you would have probably received the same rate. Therefore, I would consider it the cost of going at your convenience on a flight that is within your acceptable price range.

It isn't clear to me if you're out the money paid to Midway Airlines. If you are - contact your credit card company, and perhaps they will absorb that loss. I ordered books from a company that went bankrupt a few years ago. Because I paid with a credit card and never received the goods, the CC company credited my account. It's certainly worth pursuing.

As to the hotel room at WDW, call again - you may get a different answer! VillainWDW just posted that she rescheduled her stay at the GF from this month to next March - for a LOWER rate, and March is peak season! Good luck!

No i stopped payment on my CC for Midway.

I think what through me for a huge loop is that the first time i called Disney to verify that i could change the dates, i was told no problem, no extra fee.

And yes i did try for the following week and they were sold out. So i chose Oct. I truly would have no problem paying for the extra night, it is only right. It was also said to me, that i should drive and not fly and that many were choosing to drive from very far away, and since i am only in PA i am not that far. Well sorry i have a whole 6 days off and don't want to spend it sitting in a car.

And i also understand the viewpoint that this is NOT disney's problem. But Disney was the one who put the word out that for those scheduled to arrive up until the 16th, other accomodations could be made.

Thanks to all for you input, i appreciate it ever so much. I just didn't want to seem out of line with my request to Disney, or to sound like i was trying to be unfair.

You did change seasons and it's more expensive then, plus you are getting some Disney dollars.......you may be surprised there. As for the airline tickets, at least you didn't lose anything on them.

I kind of encountered the same thing. We postponed our trip from 9-14 (8 nights) to 9-28 (8 nights) the first three times I called I was told it would be an additional $30 plus taxes (we are staying at the WL). One the fourth call the lady did it for me with no problem. Simply changed the arrival date and asked if there was anything else I needed.

They can make changes at no cost but they don't want to. My guess is the reservations dept. have been told they can do it but only if the guest really pushes the issue. I have had to fight with so many ppl over the last week, I just don't have it in me anymore!

Melody

Definitely call again. Had same problem but with my air tix instead. Passengers with tickets upto 9/25 could reschedule upto 11/15 without penalty. First rep I talked with gave me a hard time about same class tickets, availability, etc. So, in order to not pay any more $, he changed our flights to awful flight times and so we would either have to take 3 days off for a weekend trip or have only 1 1/2 days there!

I was a bit upset but thought 'what can I do - it's the price we have to pay for changing.' Told dh about it and he said he can't take off 2 extra days to fly, call them back. So, I did. I told the rep that when I tried to changed my flight earlier, I was put on the spot at the time and would like to see if I could try to find flights that would be able to fit my schedule. The rep asked me what dates I wanted to fly and then asked if my original flight times were o'kay. I said yes, they would be perfect but the first rep told me they weren't available. She said "yes, they are a different rate, but so what. All set, is there anything else I can help you with?"

It is within the customer representative's capability to help you but whether they chose to is up to the individual. So, maybe you'll have better luck with someone else - call again.

>>Unless you bought trip insurance<<

I don't know about the Disney trip insurance but I do know that not all trip insurance covers travel change due to acts of terroism. Something it never ocurred to me to check before but now it is something to consider.

Liz

re - your Disney room reservations.

The increased room rate only makes sense if the day that you added is at the beginning of your stay. If this is the case what you need to do is make two reservations. The 1st reservation should be for the 1st night at the higher rate. The second reservation should be for all the other nights at the reduced rate. You will have to go down to the desk on the 2nd morning and check out and check back in -- but it is worth it if it will save you money.

From a consumer viewpoint, the Orlando hotels are near empty According to the media. Disney is lucky you are still going that soon, or at al, IMHO.
It's not like you didn't try to work within a reasonable time frame.
I hope your actual trip goes better! Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter