TRIP REPORT: This will be the last trip for a long time.....

Wow, dramatic much?! These types of threads are what I hate about the Dis. I come back because of the wealth of info, but these ones drive me nuts. God forbid the OP states his opinion about something. Who cares if you agree with it or not, he has the right to his opinion. And he even apologized before stating his opinion and he's still getting flammed! OP, I enjoyed your post. It was very honest and I agree with the person who said Universal sounds like it would fit your kids better for now until, as you stated, you can return with your Grandkids. I've been with my kids and without, and I for one prefer going with children. It's just more magical to me to see everything through their eyes. Flame away...

Right to opinion works on both sides. Yes the OP has the right to an opinion and people disagreeing also have a right to theirs. No one is saying the OP didn't have a right to an opinion and if you read on you will see the OP clarified the point anyway.

I have gone to Disney dozens of times, all but one as an adult. Part of my joy in addition to going on the rides (I am not a huge show person) is seeing the faces of other kids faces when they see a character. Disney is for everyone and I am thankful that they target everyone when building the parks.

It sounds like you are one of the non-kid people I would put into the good category. Not the one of the ones that tries to jump around/over a stroller on the way out of the park after fireworks.

It sounds like you are one of the non-kid people I would put into the good category. Not the one of the ones that tries to jump around/over a stroller on the way out of the park after fireworks.

Thanks and yes, I will actually step aside for kids too if we appear to be getting to a ride at the same time. My vacations are very anti-clock oriented and I am one to go with the flow so to speak.

While the OP is certainly entitled to his/her option, I also completely disagree with the OPs statement that the parks should be mostly for the kids. My DH and I came to Disney World on our honeymoon 10 years ago and have made several additional trips in the last 10 years without children because we love it by ourselves. We'll be heading back in a couple months for a trip with just the two of us and leaving our little one at home so that we can have a fun, romantic trip. While a trip with children can be fun and memorable, getting to go and relax as well as have fun without the responsibility of a child's schedule is very nice.

Yes he does. And I think stating that you are surprised at the number of groups without children or something along those lines just goes over better than saying adult only visitors make the list of negatives about your trip.

No one really likes to think that someone else is viewing them as a negative or that they have a negative impact on someone. It is just never going to go over well with those that fit in that group. No matter how the apologies are offered up it just doesn't sit well.

As a side note....I haven't apologized for what I said....I have tried to clarify that it was the LARGE NUMBER of people their without kids that surprised us. Not people being there without kids. ....and yes there is a big difference in those 2 things.

Back to the original post, because that's what I came here to read.... I was happy to hear that your trip was relatively a great one, I was scared when I saw the title but from what I gather, your kids ages were a huge part of it and would be more geared to a different amusement park next trip. Can't wait for my trip!!

As a side note....I haven't apologized for what I said....I have tried to clarify that it was the LARGE NUMBER of people their without kids that surprised us. Not people being there without kids. ....and yes there is a big difference in those 2 things.

I can definitely understand this. But I think it's a testament to how Disney markets their movies and the parks themselves. I think movies like Toy Story are enjoyed by adults just as much as kids. Me I'm a huge Pixar fan. Was even before Disney bought them out. I think that is why Disney is so successful, if it was just families with children Disney would be far less successful than they are. But maybe the amount of adults without friends is more than one would think, to be honest I can't really say I really have noticed either way.

Ok, Fair enough. I'm curious though, in looking back you say the numbers are a surprise and make the list of negative park experiences, nothing more than you'll leave at that. Why? What is negative about there being a large number of people there without kids? Is it the behavior you witnessed, as others reported?

To be fair, the vast majority of adult park goers would be in the good category. I can see how a few can color your opinion though.

I actually find the rudest groups to be either groups of teenagers OR parents of over-privileged kids who think their little darling should get to do everything regardless of the rules. Other than the occasional incident though, I find most everybody at WDW to be perfectly pleasant.

I was the one that apologized if I offended someone. Guess I am just not one of those Diehard Disney fans.

To be fair, the vast majority of adult park goers would be in the good category. I can see how a few can color your opinion though.

I actually find the rudest groups to be either groups of teenagers OR parents of over-privileged kids who think their little darling should get to do everything regardless of the rules. Other than the occasional incident though, I find most everybody at WDW to be perfectly pleasant.

Same here. Thankfully, in all our trips, we haven't witnessed behavior that stuck with me by any one. Of any age.

Negatives:

Adult Park Goers - I know this may go against many, but to me the parks are about the kids....always has been and should be IMO. My wife and I weren't shocked that people would be there without kids....just at the large number of people that were....and I'll just leave it at that.

Oooohhh...really, really, really dislike these comments. Let me add that your kids are young, and still at home. You may feel differently when they leave.

I've seen my daughter go through differnt phases while going to disney over the years.First started out shy towards the characters and loved the small rides.Second phase was characters but only live ones if the lines were'nt too long and wanting to ride the bigger rides.Now it's no characters and all the headliner rides.It has really been fun watching her grow through out the years in the pictures we take.Next phase will be the "can i take a friend".When starts her own life it will be time for my wife and I to visit by ourselves.And then the grand kids and it starts all over again!Glad we have our own beach or that would be another vacation in between Disney

Someone needs to tell the childless adult who created this site and its childless adult webmaster to kindly stay away from the parks so as they do not offend anyone! In fact, I think most of the team who runs this joint is out of luck! ;) I am too. Oh well, guess it's off to Six Flags where I belong!

I get it about all the adults in the park acting like kids. Last time we went we were going on the carrousel and my DD had already picked a horse but she wanted to say hi to the horse before she got on she was saying hi and patting the head of the horse and a lady about 50yo jumped form the other side on the horse I said oh sorry my daughter already picked this horse she was just saying hi first her brother is sitting in the horse beside this one and she refused to get of the horse.

It also annoyed me the large number of childless adults riding the kiddie rides making them have looong lines that little kids have little patience for.

Of course Disney wants to appeal to everyone more people=more money. Old or young it does not matter. What matters is the cash they bring in.

Ok, Fair enough. I'm curious though, in looking back you say the numbers are a surprise and make the list of negative park experiences, nothing more than you'll leave at that. Why? What is negative about there being a large number of people there without kids? Is it the behavior you witnessed, as others reported?

No....not any specific behavior....as I stated....to me it is about that sparkle in the kid's eyes and the smiles on their faces....

To me it takes away when I see kids waiting in line to get pictures with their favorite characters and their are adults with no kids waiting in line in front of them. As an adult I can see spending a lot of time at EPCOT going "around the world" or at AK going on the Safari or different animal excursions....not waiting in line for Dumbo.

I guess it would have helped if it had not been so many......

Maybe I shouldn't have listed it as a negative, but maybe as an observation.

I get it about all the adults in the park acting like kids. Last time we went we were going on the carrousel and my DD had already picked a horse but she wanted to say hi to the horse before she got on she was saying hi and patting the head of the horse and a lady about 50yo jumped form the other side on the horse I said oh sorry my daughter already picked this horse she was just saying hi first her brother is sitting in the horse beside this one and she refused to get of the horse.

It also annoyed me the large number of childless adults riding the kiddie rides making them have looong lines that little kids have little patience for.

Of course Disney wants to appeal to everyone more people=more money. Old or young it does not matter. What matters is the cash they bring in.

Now this is one peeve I definitely agree with. The lady not moving from your daughter's seat was out of line whether it was a child or an adult she kicked out. And not sure why any adult without a kid would want to ride a ride that is obviously a kid's ride.

Oooohhh...really, really, really dislike these comments. Let me add that you're kids are young, and still at home. You may feel differently when they leave.

Sorry....it's just an observation.

I may, but hopefully I will be taking grand kids after they have left....and it won't be just me and the wife.

Part of the reason you may have noticed there were lots of adults without kids there might be because it's October, a time when most children are in school. There would be plenty more kids and families during summer or any of the school breaks (Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, etc). :) I'd assume that the off-season is when most adults would prefer to tour the parks, especially if they don't have children or aren't dictated by the school calendar. Events like the Food & Wine festival and room discounts/free dining attract people to the parks during what would otherwise be a "slower" season. A lot of visitors will probably be adults unless kids are taken out of school.

It would be a pretty poor business plan if Disney solely marketed itself to children. By catering to people of all ages, Disney is creating a life-long customer base. My parents went to DL when they were adults, they took me to DL and WDW when I was a kid, I continue to go to DL and WDW in my mid-20s (I can safely say my AP to DL was one of the reasons why I made it through law school without going crazy,) and I'll take my kids to DL and WDW when I have them. :goodvibes

Part of the reason you may have noticed there were lots of adults without kids there might be because it's October, a time when most children are in school. There would be plenty more kids and families during summer or any of the school breaks (Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, etc). :) I'd assume that the off-season is when most adults would prefer to tour the parks, especially if they don't have children or aren't dictated by the school calendar. Events like the Food & Wine festival and room discounts/free dining attract people to the parks during what would otherwise be a "slower" season. A lot of visitors will probably be adults unless kids are taken out of school.

It would be a pretty poor business plan if Disney solely marketed itself to children. By catering to people of all ages, Disney is creating a life-long customer base. My parents went to DL when they were adults, they took me to DL and WDW when I was a kid, I continued to go to DL and WDW in my mid-20s, and I'll take my kids to DL and WDW when I have them. :goodvibes

Good point and if Disney were just for kids then I guess they would be closed 8 months of the year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter