Tron Lightcycle Run coming to MK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well Nintendo is obvious but that is supposed to go into their existing parks. I am wondering what IPs they could use in a new park.

I don't see that as a concern. With a couple of tentpole lands, building out a well themed, but not necessarily heavily IP reliant area just puts them in the same game as Disney. All they need to do is to persuade guests not to do split Universal/Disney weeks. As long as they can fill the days, then pricing structure will take care of the rest. Six days at Uni will be way cheaper than 3/3.

not adding solid attractions in numbers to blow socks off and get more people on them.
I am going to disagree here. We are seeing a net gain for once at Disney. France gets the rat which is an expansion, and MK gets Tron and the theater which will both help with capacity. Disney announced solid additions at D23 and more than I think most expected.

I don't see that as a concern. With a couple of tentpole lands, building out a well themed, but not necessarily heavily IP reliant area just puts them in the same game as Disney. All they need to do is to persuade guests not to do split Universal/Disney weeks. As long as they can fill the days, then pricing structure will take care of the rest. Six days at Uni will be way cheaper than 3/3.
I can't see Universal not having IP heavy areas.

I am going to disagree here. We are seeing a net gain for once at Disney. France gets the rat which is an expansion, and MK gets Tron and the theater which will both help with capacity. Disney announced solid additions at D23 and more than I think most expected.

No no...I'm good with all that.

I'm talking about avatar and Star Wars.

Those require more than 2 each...and they shouldn't be a kiddie friendly and a simulated "non-kiddie" if you're gonna pick two.

Shoulda been two big boy pants frontlines and a third kiddie flat at a minimum.

True but even IOA has a theme.

But IOA doesn't have a "theme" like AK does being all about animals. Or Epcot does did (actually 2 themes for the 2 halves of the park, but each theme was solid) with Future World and World Showcase. Or MGM does did being all about the movie making process.

IOA was always a disparate collection of themed areas based on unconnected IPs, and is even more so now with Potter. Here are some rides based on superheroes, here a few based on unrelated cartoons, here are some based on children's books, here's some stuff about ancient beasts, here is a place you can pretend you're a wizard. The theme in each island is strong, but there isn't a strong overriding theme. Much like there isn't at Universal Studios any longer since it has taken the same path that Disney did with their "movie studio" park.

I would expect Universal's third gate will be another collection of various lands based on various unconnected IPs.

No no...I'm good with all that.

I'm talking about avatar and Star Wars.

Those require more than 2 each...and they shouldn't be a kiddie friendly and a simulated "non-kiddie" if you're gonna pick two.

Shoulda been two big boy pants frontlines and a third kiddie flat at a minimum.
I don't disagree but there is nothing that says a land should have a certain number of rides. Carsland has 3, Hogsmeade has 3 but one was a retheme which is not getting retimed again, Diagon Alley has 1 (2 if you count the train), Pandora 2, Toy Story 2, Star Wars 2.

Star Wars was supposed to have 3 but the Bantha ran away ;)

Universal is replacing it with something ...not mothballing it or putting on a theme that doesn't fit.

It served their purpose...now they are upping the ante.

If this is a pooh bear playground...then I'll criticize them. They've earned the benefit of the doubt more than the rats down the street.

They could have removed it 6 years ago when it stopped Dueling and just became a common ride.

Universal has specifically stated it will be a highly themed coaster, not a simulator. So that's good news.

They also said "Family" ride. Now my family did coasters as soon as the inches arrived but I think most will take that as something a bit mild like 7DMT. I do think Universal has different standards ...

I don't disagree but there is nothing that says a land should have a certain number of rides. Carsland has 3, Hogsmeade has 3 but one was a retheme which is not getting retimed again, Diagon Alley has 1 (2 if you count the train), Pandora 2, Toy Story 2, Star Wars 2.

Star Wars was supposed to have 3 but the Bantha ran away ;)

I think it's bad longterm planning. These 2s and 3s are fine for 10 years or so...but they are going to tire. Universal seems to be moving on that as we speak.

Having been to carsland...I loved it. But the praise (that park must have really sucked) has a shelf life...in the next 5 years or so...it's gonna need a jolt. All these other lands will too.

The reality is that the good disney parks - magic kingdom, Tokyo, Epcot - were overbuilt/too expensive to start...but that's why they have/can chug along for decades...

Not the case when the plan is "ehhh...that's enough"

Just something to watch.

I am very optimistic with Star Wars. They are throwing 1 billion at this land and the rides are said to be some of the best Disney has ever done.

Like you were when the $730 million dollar new fantasyland came in at about $400?

That's tired already.

I think the Star Wars land looks good overall...I'm not too optimistic about the attractions as of right now...still early though.

Like you were when the $730 million dollar new fantasyland came in at about $400?

That's tired already.

I think the Star Wars land looks good overall...I'm not too optimistic about the attractions as of right now...still early though.
I wasn't as optimistic with NFL.

I think the battle attraction in SWL will be one of the best Disney attractions in the world.

I wasn't as optimistic with NFL.

I think the battle attraction in SWL will be one of the best Disney attractions in the world.

On this...we agree. All
My hope is on that ride. I think the simulator is Star tours 2.0 and it's gonna be a mad disappointment.

I was disappointed with FoP. To me its Star Tours on a flying motorcycle. Welcome to the age of simulators.
Interesting... I thought it was a fantastic attraction for what it is and didn't compare it to Star Tours at all. I'd also argue the age of simulators in theme parks started in the 80s with Star Tours.

I was disappointed with FoP. To me its Star Tours on a flying motorcycle. Welcome to the age of simulators.
I know you weren't impressed, but I think you are in a very small minority.
It exceeded all of my expectations. By quite a bit, actually.
I've been back 5 times already to ride it again and again.

I know you weren't impressed, but I think you are in a very small minority.
It exceeded all of my expectations. By quite a bit, actually.
I've been back 5 times already to ride it again and again.
It is definitely one of my favorite attractions now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter