• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tropical threat?? Leaving in 9 days...

Perhaps a dumb question but here it goes. The power flush toilets at disney, would they still work if you just dumped water into the bowl? If the storm gets worst, should people AT disney fill bath tubs just in case???

You don't need to be scared, you do need to be prepared for inconvenience and transportation issues.

In comparison to Irma, this definitely has the potential to be worse for the Orlando area (certainly it will for Tampa). Irma was Cat 4 on landing, but that was far SW Florida. I looked up the meteorological history and it was a weakening Cat 1 as it moved fairly quickly through the Tampa-Orlando area. This will be moving slowly and is forecast right now to be 130 mph a few miles off the coast of Tampa before weakening.

This is going to be historically bad for Tampa because of the slow moving storm and storm surge. Right now it's projected to be 10+ feet and could potentially cut St. Pete off from Tampa. That and all the evacuees will strain Orlando to recover from whatever it experiences more inland.

Again, if you have to be there, you will be safe at WDW (as long as you don't go out in the worst of it to "have a look.") But do whatever you can in advance to prepare from a supply standpoint. And if you have transportation plans to leave Thurs-Fri, that may not be happening.

For best advice, use the NHC website. They update the path and have a good written discussion every 6 hours. Nobody can forecast better than them (your local media guy just essentially takes their information). Also, another good site is Levi Cowan with tropicaltidbits.com. He does a great daily vlog discussing a lot of the nuances that help you understand what could still change and what impacts are likely.
All of this! But especially ditto tropicaltidbits.com. Levi is the best.

Hi all!
I've been in Orlando for a few days doing Universal, and tomorrow I check into Hilton at Disney Springs. I'm from Brazil and it's the first time I've been here during storm warnings. I know this sounds stupid, but how do I know when it's ok or not to leave the hotel? I've been following the news, but I don't quite get all of it... I've never been through hurricanes, tornados, tropical storms, etc., so I'm a little anxious... also, I'm traveling solo, so no one else to ask!🤷‍♀️ my tickets to Disney start tomorrow but my 1st reservation is for Wednesday. Should I change it?
Thanks to anyone with any tips!

I would want to be on a lower floor verses near the top of any hotel I would be staying at. If that might help some people going into Disney, you can always request that.

Lol and WDW wouldn’t allow it

We had a split stay during Matthew. Left WDW around 2 pm and it took 1-1/2 hrs to
Drive up to U due to rain, traffic and all the storm debris on road.

RP U took great care of us. Food, games, entertainment of sorts. Found it fascinating how all Pool furniture dumped into the pool.
Exactly Keishashadow!

Hi all!
I've been in Orlando for a few days doing Universal, and tomorrow I check into Hilton at Disney Springs. I'm from Brazil and it's the first time I've been here during storm warnings. I know this sounds stupid, but how do I know when it's ok or not to leave the hotel? I've been following the news, but I don't quite get all of it... I've never been through hurricanes, tornados, tropical storms, etc., so I'm a little anxious... also, I'm traveling solo, so no one else to ask!🤷‍♀️ my tickets to Disney start tomorrow but my 1st reservation is for Wednesday. Should I change it?
Turn on any local TV channel. They will soon move to wall-to-wall coverage. And they'll repeat everything 1,000x.

Hi all!

When you check into the Hilton tomorrow they should provide you with what they have in place for safety through the storm. If possible make a stop at a grocery store as you transfer over to the Hilton, pick up water, drinks, enough food for meals in your hotel room for Wednesday through Friday, snacks and any other things you may need to be comfortable while the storm passes. Charge any devices and battery back up devices in case you are without power. If you do not have back up chargers for your devices, you will want to get one or two just in case. Tomorrow may be your last opportunity to get the things you’ll need.. it’s looking like allot of things have closures beginning on Wednesday.
Be safe!

I would want to be on a lower floor verses near the top of any hotel I would be staying at. If that might help some people going into Disney, you can always request that.

SL6827 ~ Friends of mine stayed at Saratoga Springs ground floor during a major storm. The whole room flooded....as did many ground floor rooms. Just something to think about.

I was just going to respond too. :scratchin I'd likely want 2nd floor. Easy walk down but keeps me away from pooling/flooding water or the wildlife that might get flushed out looking for cover.

Perhaps a dumb question but here it goes. The power flush toilets at disney, would they still work if you just dumped water into the bowl? If the storm gets worst, should people AT disney fill bath tubs just in case???
Well, we have the same pressure flush toilets that were installed at POFQ when they were first built. When you take the tank lid off, you see the pressure tank, and no water. Pouring water in the bowl does not flush the toilet. Fortunately my neighborhood has a community well with an emergency generator to power the pump, so we haven’t had issues with it. But if there was no water to fill the pressure tank, we would not be able to flush.

I haven’t looked inside the tanks at Disney for many years so I don’t know if they still use the same brand, but I haven’t had an issue with not having water at Disney, even during the occasional power outage.

Disney has announced some closures but at this time parks are open as normal.

Please check this link for DISNEY’S OFFICIAL STORM UPDATES.

Closures Sep 28 and 29
- Typhoon Lagoon
- Winter Summerland Miniature Golf
- Fantasia Gardens Miniature Golf

Closure Sep 28 through 30
- Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue

Last edited:
Wild turkeys, bears, and deer too.
Yes. I love seeing the deer gather under the monorail between TTC and Epcot.

Once had a bus driver (I know) that was doing trivia with us. He told some crazy number like 800 or 1000 different kinds of wild animals live on Disney property. He said the most elusive were the boar and the Florida panthers!

Tampa International Airport ceasing operations at 5pm tomorrow.
from twitter..

PUBLIC ADVISORY: Tampa International Airport will suspend all operations beginning at 5 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 27 due to Hurricane Ian. Follow @FlyTPA for updates and check with your airline for the latest flight information.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter