*Truck and Towing thread........ask your questions here.*

I am going to add a WDH with sway control before our next trip to the Fort on Memorial day.
I would say a WDH is a MUST. We have a coachmen Catalina Legacy 343QBDS (almost 37' long from tip to tail) and without the WDH..... I don't think I could go over 50 MPH. Coming from NE PA to the fort would be a VERY long trip at 50 MPH (I usually manage about 70MPH for most highway) your rig looks a lot like ours on the outside with only some minor differences.

I would say a WDH is a MUST. We have a coachmen Catalina Legacy 343QBDS (almost 37' long from tip to tail) and without the WDH..... I don't think I could go over 50 MPH. Coming from NE PA to the fort would be a VERY long trip at 50 MPH (I usually manage about 70MPH for most highway) your rig looks a lot like ours on the outside with only some minor differences.

I took back roads as far south as I could go to get to Gulf Shores. I was between 55 and 60 with no problems. Of course, I did not have to contend with big rigs blowing by me. I did get a little bouncy coming off one little bridge. Our trailer is a little over 31' end to end. The WDH is happening FOR SURE before I get on the interstate with it.

DDo5 - aka Mike

I was originally going to pull this with my 2003 Yukon XL Denali but a trip to the repair shop and the impending doom of the transmission forced my to look around for a different TV. I bought a 2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel from a friend for a decent price. It tows this trailer no problem. Of course, I have only towed it to Gulf Shores and back to Fairhope. I am going to add a WDH with sway control before our next trip to the Fort on Memorial day.

DDo5 - aka Mike

Mike, good choice for the TV.

Watch out for the Ford crowd here though. They are loud but proud.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
Mike,

Good looking rig.

Mike, good choice for the TV.

Watch out for the Ford crowd here though. They are loud but proud.
Ed,

I don't know what you mean. His Silverado with the D-Max is a perfectly good match for his 5500 lb camper. Any more trailer than that and I'd be concerned, but... :D

And I didn't even say anything about the Yukon trans giving up the fight.

Ooopps.

j

So in all seriousness Denise, are you guys planning a camper upgrade as well?

Since you were all so helpful earlier this year, I thought I'd share a photo of my new trailer - it FINALLY came!! I haven't taken it anywhere yet, or pulled it myself, but I hope to get lots of practice before heading to Disney World in six months! :)

Attachments

• WinnieDrop170K.jpg
    WinnieDrop170K.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 29
Since you were all so helpful earlier this year, I thought I'd share a photo of my new trailer - it FINALLY came!! I haven't taken it anywhere yet, or pulled it myself, but I hope to get lots of practice before heading to Disney World in six months! :)
Cute!

j

Okay I need opinions from all you towing experts engineers. I found a truck I want. It's a 2015 Ford F150 CrewCab 4x4 with the 3.5 ecoboost. Has a 157 inch wheel base and has the max tow package. Will tow my camper and have 2,000 lbs to spare. I don't tow enough yet to justify the diesel purchase.

Okay I need opinions from all you towing experts engineers. I found a truck I want. It's a 2015 Ford F150 CrewCab 4x4 with the 3.5 ecoboost. Has a 157 inch wheel base and has the max tow package. Will tow my camper and have 2,000 lbs to spare. I don't tow enough yet to justify the diesel purchase.
I think it would make a great TV. A friend bought a used F150. I tried to talk him into the Ecoboost, but he went with the V8. He's getting 16 mpg and it doesn't have as much tow rating as the V6.
My new little car has the beast version of that Ecoboost, except mine is only a 2.3L. It does make 350 HP and 350 lb/ft though. :D

j

Now I just have to hope I can learn how to pull and park it... the parking part terrifies me...
Practice, practice, practice.

A little warning. Not sure what you are towing with, but short wheel base trailers (hitch to axle length) are harder to back up than the monster long trailers. I can back my 42 5er into anywhere, but I gave up trying to back in a jet ski trailer with my truck. The short trailers react to steering input much faster. A little steering wheel will make a huge movement in trailer.

Nothing to scare you, just something to be aware of. Hints that work for me is to slow down everything. Backing isn't a race. The slower you go, the more time to assess where the trailer is going and think through how you need to react before it is too far gone and you have to pull up and straighten out to try again.

Besides, if you go slow, it provides more entertainment for those of us watching. :D

j

Practice, practice, practice.

A little warning. Not sure what you are towing with, but short wheel base trailers (hitch to axle length) are harder to back up than the monster long trailers. I can back my 42 5er into anywhere, but I gave up trying to back in a jet ski trailer with my truck. The short trailers react to steering input much faster. A little steering wheel will make a huge movement in trailer.

Nothing to scare you, just something to be aware of. Hints that work for me is to slow down everything. Backing isn't a race. The slower you go, the more time to assess where the trailer is going and think through how you need to react before it is too far gone and you have to pull up and straighten out to try again.

Besides, if you go slow, it provides more entertainment for those of us watching. :D

j

Yeah! What he ^^^^ said....

I concur, 100%. I had the SAME experience with my JetSki Trailer (years ago). First we had a SINGLE jetski trailer, and it was HORRIBLE to back. It was just easier to take the trailer off.... push it (of course it's much lighter then a larger TT) where we want it. We upgraded to 2 JetSki's and a double trailer to tow them... Much easier to back in. The old "Wider is better" holds true here too.

Either way... the entertainment for others is always a plus! :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter