*Truck and Towing thread........ask your questions here.*

I'm getting the camper cleanup and ready for the summer and while doing that I have started looking at some of the maintenance items I may need to address. Mainly the tire, brakes, and bearings. So I have a few questions here.

The tires are Goodyear Endurance with date codes of 1917 and 2017 putting them right at 4 years. They have had probably 7000 miles on them. Is it time to replace now, or wait until fall/next spring? I hear tires should be replaced by age alone at 3 years by some, and others say 5 or more.

The bearings were last done at the dealership about 2 years ago when I took it in for other maintenance. I want to service them again, but I plan on doing myself. As I have never done this for a trailer, any tips, advice, warnings? Is this something a person with average mechanical abilities could do, or for camper is this a "one small minor easy to make mistake by a novice will cause catastrophic failure" type job. Also should I make plan to go ahead buy the bearings and replace them if needed, or just plan to lube them and buy bearings if they need to be replaced. Is it normal to replace them every few years, or do they typical last along time when lubricated?

The brakes may have adjusted when the bearing were done, but I don't remember. On the last trip I noticed the trailer was breaking as well as expected, so I turned up the brake controller a little. This caused the brakes to lock up when applying them at low speeds like stop and roll traffic, or campground maneuvering. Once again I plan on doing this myself. From what I seen it seems a simple process to adjust the brakes: jack it up, adjust the brakes till there is resistance on the tire, back off the adjustment till the tire roll freely. Once again any tips, advice, warnings? and is this a "one small minor easy to make mistake by a novice will cause catastrophic failure" type job that should only be done by an experienced and trained professional. Like with bearings, should I just plan on replacing the brakes. If replacing them are the self adjusting brakes worth it?

oh, and expect the usual stuck part, scrapped knuckles, non-family friendly words, and penetrating fluid.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002NYDYO?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_titleGet this for the berrings, i liked it a lot. Watch a few vids, you can do it yourself pretty easily. Just make sure you can jack up your camper and support it well. Look to see if the bearings are really worn or discolored. If you have that then replace them. New cotter pins help also. Same with the breaks, clean them off a bit, make sure the magnites work if they are magnetic. They might not need adjusting. Youll do fine , and learn a bit in the process.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002NYDYO?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_titleGet this for the berrings, i liked it a lot. Watch a few vids, you can do it yourself pretty easily. Just make sure you can jack up your camper and support it well. Look to see if the bearings are really worn or discolored. If you have that then replace them. New cotter pins help also. Same with the breaks, clean them off a bit, make sure the magnites work if they are magnetic. They might not need adjusting. Youll do fine , and learn a bit in the process.
Now that was pretty cool!

I have lifetime warranty on.my 5er, this requires me to have yearly maintenance done at a service center which covers gas, water, tanks, brakes, bearings, exterior lights, furnace, appliances.

Tires, I go 5 years max then replace.

I have a question for truck owners. Have you found a way to clean between the cab and the bed of our truck?

I have not. You could use a pressure washer or a micro fiber in some sort of stick ( maybe like the old fashioned yard stick) if you wanted to? Most never things I have had for 10 years didnt rust.

I'm getting the camper cleanup and ready for the summer and while doing that I have started looking at some of the maintenance items I may need to address. Mainly the tire, brakes, and bearings. So I have a few questions here.

Sounds like you got a good head on your shoulders and common sense. Nothing you described is difficult and all can be accomplished in half a day.

Your Endurance tires are probably just fine for another year ... but that's just me.

I have decided to wait on the tires for now.

I plan on doing the bearing and brakes this weekend.

I placed the order for what I think I'll need for bearings, I shouldn't need anything for the brakes (unless there is a problem).

Get this for the berrings, i liked it a lot.
Got It!

I also ordered Cottoer pins (and extras), Seal puller, Grease caps, and seals from e-trailer. I hope the caps and seals are the right size.
I also ordered grease, and the Handy Packer from amazon. I ordered the Lucas "Red N Tacky", but then noticed that it wasn't goning to get here until later next week, so I ordered some Timken 224 that should be here Friday.

Anything else I'm missing? Are either/both of the greases good for the rv wheel bearings?

@2goofycampers, I have always just hosed/sprayed the area between the cab and the bed. I have thought about using the "pressure sprayer" thing for the black tank on it. Something like tiggerdad suggested would be good, and I'll probably get one.

Im not a grease expert, but i think any grease should do fine. A greased hub is a happy hub......

Those Grease packers are nice. I personally have this model and it works well for yearly maintenance.

https://www.etrailer.com/Tools/LubriMatic/L70025.html
Before a long trip if you're lucky enough to have a hub with a zerk fitting, you can jack your tire off the ground and use the zerk to pump grease into the hub while slowly turning the tire until you see fresh grease coming out. Just go nice and slow to not blow the rear seal out.

General tow vehicle question. We upgraded from a popup this year to a 30' TT (7600 GVWR). Upgrading the tow vehicle now. My big dilemma is supply but second is RAM 2500 or F250. What do you prefer? I used to be a chevy guy but after some heartburn with a current vehicle I will not go down that road again. I have a RAM 1500 now and love it but as an upgrade either the 2500 or the F250 is on my radar.

My big dilemma is supply but second is RAM 2500 or F250. What do you prefer?
First, full disclosure, I raced for Ford and have always owned Ford trucks due to very nice racer incentives. All of my other vehicles are Fords. That said, all 3 of the major "truck" manufacturers have very similar products that do a great job towing. I think it comes down to prior experience, unique options and personal preference. I don't race anymore and have only limited access to the incentives. If I was in the market for a new/or used truck today, I'd find the one that had what I wanted for the best price.

j

I think there all about the same, especially in the 3/4 ton range. The rams have nicer interiors, the chevy is basic but reliable, fords some people like ( just stay away from the 1500 for this year buddy had a dud, is lemon lawing it. ). For me i look at all 3, and got the chevy because of the price, but that was before the shortages but during covid. Big question is diesel or gas? I got a chevy gasser in 2000. Any 3/4 ton will pull what you have with ease. All be be crap on fuel. Get the options you need, then add what you want. Price it like that. Depending on the year of your ram, anything newer will have a ton of stuff yours didn't that will help towing.

I own a Ram. The power plant is good but the problem with Ram was everything else broke around it. However, I think they have made great improvements over the last decade. The only truck I can say I wouldn't buy is a Ford with a 6.0 diesel so I think that would be 2008 or older? Over the years I've heard stories that either you got a good one or a bad one. I would pick the lemon...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter