Trying to be supportive of friend's career change...

Honestly, it might well be a bad decision on her part, Or not.
I do think that if you are close friends it is perfectly reaonsable to kindly share your concerns--and that you can do so in a way that is still supportive. "That's sounds awesome. It's a lot to consider, have you thought about xyz?" sort of thing. Beyond that though, yes, you need to let her make her own decisions, etc (as it seems you know).

I do think it is entirely reasonable to not indulge her in a lot of whining about not having money to do things you and other firends are doing when she has chosen that path. "sorry you can't afford a trip, but I bet it feels great not working somewhere oyu hate anymore, doesn't it?" or somehting else that basically reminds her this is her choice and doesn't let it turn into a pity fest or guilt trip on you but is also not negative would be a good way to respond, IMO

She is so young, she should go for it. Better to try and fail rather than always wonder "what if." You only get one chance at this life and it's so short. Why not follow that dream and reach for the stars? It reminds me of one of my favorite sayings:

For fear of taking chances, I've missed a lot of fun. The things I regret the most in life are those I have not done.

Eh, at that age why not try something new if you're not happy with what you're doing? It took me until 35 to decide to go for the degree I knew deep down I should have gone for at 18, and pretty much everyone in my life thinks it is a huge mistake because I went from a highly marketable career field to a tough job market. But life is too short to go to a job you hate every day just because the pay or benefits are good.

It took me until 35 to decide to go for the degree I knew deep down I should have gone for at 18.

this is me too. At 18, the college choices I made were based on very limited life experiences and career knowledge. I basically took a career path based on what others, mostly my family had knowledge of. Now at 41, Im 1 year from completing the degree I should have done at 18

If she were 55+ I might say she should really think carefully about her chances for completing schooling and a career change. However, she's 25. This is the time in her life, and yours, to change her mind, try new things, etc.

Goodness! I was expecting some huge, life altering mistake! Your friend is the perfect age to explore, change careers, go back to school, travel the world- whatever... If the new endeavor fails or she racks up debt she has years ahead of her to recover. The twenties are the time to figure things out without the need to consider the wants or needs of children or a spouse. Not to mention that Many people her age haven't finished one degree.

To be really honest, you seem overly involved in her life or at least overly concerned with her decisions. She may be ignoring your suggestions because she thinks that you should butt out. Maybe consider the possibility that your overly strong reaction is based in your unhappiness at losing a close friend if she moves.

How do you know she'll "hate" the marine bio degree? Because you did? Does she also share your taste in food, in clothes, in movies, in men? Is every other choice wrong simply because it's not yours?

She's 25. Presumably unmarried with no kids.

NOW is the time to chase her dreams. So much better than spending the next 40 years doing a job she hates.

There's plenty of time to do the "sensible" thing. This is the time to chase what she wants to do. And if she has restaurant experience, she can work anywhere. She can get a similar job in Florida if that's what she wants.

I'm a big believer in letting people make their own "mistakes." We each get one shot at the big decisions. We shouldn't make them, or attempt to make them, for others.

At 25 this is exactly what she should be doing. Good for the soul to make scary decisions sometimes rather than always play the safe card.

She can't make this change at 45 let her do it while she can.

You get a say in where she goes to school if you are paying her tuition bills. :P

If not, your cue is, "That sounds like a fantastic opportunity. Congratulations, I'm so happy for you!"

The thing is, if she does get loans, and then ends up without a job to pay for those loans, well, then, yeah, we are all going to end up 'paying' for them when she reneges on payment. From the info the OP gave us, sounds like she's not that great with money, wants to spend 'like her friends' but left a job. Not responsible enough, IMO, to take on loan debt with a serious plan for that second degree.

Should the friend butt in? Depends on the friendship - how close they are, etc. I think if it comes up in conversation again, the points I made in a PP should come up. I mean, I get the 'you're only young once' attitude, but how long can you play off of that, and be responsible for your own future well being? When is it time to adult up?

The thing is, if she does get loans, and then ends up without a job to pay for those loans, well, then, yeah, we are all going to end up 'paying' for them when she reneges on payment. From the info the OP gave us, sounds like she's not that great with money, wants to spend 'like her friends' but left a job. Not responsible enough, IMO, to take on loan debt with a serious plan for that second degree.

Wow, so much negativity. How exactly do you know that this woman will default on her loans? And you never answered my question of why you assume she has loans from her other schooling. I couldn't find that in any of the OP's posts.

She complains about not being able to do what her friends do, but since she is complaining, it sounds like she's missing out, not spending money she doesn't have. You really are making a lot of assumptions about her.

Should the friend butt in? Depends on the friendship - how close they are, etc. I think if it comes up in conversation again, the points I made in a PP should come up. I mean, I get the 'you're only young once' attitude, but how long can you play off of that, and be responsible for your own future well being? When is it time to adult up?

You are making some big leaps tbere.

Has she even asked for your opinion?
You keep telling her what to do, but she is 'refusing'.
She should not feel obligated to consider, much less follow/obey, another person's opinions.

Your are way too vested here.
You cannot try to control somebody else's life.
I think you need to kind of back-off.

I'm 25, too, so I'll add another young person perspective (I just finished my Master's degree, so I'm just now entering the "real world" - many of my peers are further ahead of me in their careers but I chose a different path that required a professional degree).

It sounds like she's made an informed decision. She knows that this will cost money... but it's costing her money. It's not like she's going back to school to carelessly spend her parents' money, so this must be important to her. It sounds like she's done the research, knows what she wants to do, and has enough drive that she is physically moving and spending money. I'm sure she has also weighed the social consequences of going back to school, and it's still worth it to her.

I think all you can really do is be supportive. Is this a big mistake? Maybe... maybe not! But it's her life to live, her chance to take.

Bahahah well I am the perfect person to respond to this since I graduated with a degree in Public Relations and Spanish, worked for a PR firm in Miami for a few years after graduation, hated it, then quit at age 23 to go back to school for a degree in Marine Biology lol! I am still paying off my student loans 10 years later, but I now do work in my field for a whale watching company and while I don't make a ton, PR wasn't exactly lucrative either. I am a HUGE proponent of doing what you love. As long as she is aware that school is expensive (and DIFFICULT because it's mostly science courses), and that career prospects are slim, then it's her choice! I was able to graduate with the Marine Bio degree in 2.5 years because all my core classes transferred over.

My DGD is seriously contemplating a career in some aspect of Marine biology. Like you, she knows exactly what she is getting into in regards to classes, study and bills, but her parents plan to help her navigate some of these roads. As an Ag student she is already leaning towards a field heavy in science classes.

I think if anyone tried to dissuade her from choosing a field that she has an interest in I would be very angry. At such a young age, and 25 is young, passion for your career is so important.

My DD is really a hands on parent in most ways, but she has tasked my DGD with making choices that are not just based on location and classes, but also on total costs and financial aid, if any. SHe feels that if my DGD knows the cost, and she is going to be involved in that discussion, she will make an informed choice for her college: one that offers the classes she wants and needs, is within their price range, and that will be located in an area that allows her to return home for visits.

I do not regret what happened to me. And I don't know why I'm so against this. I really don't. I think part of it is moving to another state to go to school for something she can get 20 min away (and get in state tuition for too). I think that is what's bothering me. The only thing we don't have in PA and what FL does have is an ocean surrounding is. But we have NJ ocean which is a 2 hr drive and she's not even looking at costal schools either. All of them are inland which are a distance from ocean anyway. Oh well. I guess we'll see what happens this time
Next year. If she's in FL or back here.

I think you would do well to consider why you are so opposed to your friends decision, and why you are so invested in it. One of your prior posts seemed to almost anticipate her failure and your "told you so" reaction if it happened. For me, this is the one that stands out and is the one that has me wondering what else is in play here. If you do nothing else, I would suggest you look into your own reaction and give it thought.

There is a lot to consider when making a choice like this, not the least of which is hands on experience and the ability to secure an internship in the field your friend may want. Can she do that from PA? There are many areas of marine Biology, and not every college of University offers programs for every one, so that is also a consideration. My DGD interned at Mystic Seaport and while she loved that experience, she also learned what areas she is NOT interested in, and was also learned what she needs to do in college to assist her in securing a job after graduation. My DD and DSIl will pay more for her to be located in an area that she can intern in her chosen field, or that offers her the opportunity to gain experience in her field. I am lightheaded just thinking of the research my DGD is putting into her choice now, so I can imagine what your friend has also invested.

If you truly are her friend you will be supportive in her decision. Let her know that you want her to succeed and to be brave in her choice. I have found that people tend to work up to their potential if they are encouraged to do so, and will often work towards their lowest potential when they are expected to fail. Be your friends bright light.

All these folks saying you're "mothering" your friend...

I'd say you're actually far more invested and involved in your friend's life choices, than I am in my own children's (and they're 19 and 21). People have to make their own decisions. Of course, you can tell them what you think. You can give them your best advice. Once. Twice, tops. But then you need to shut up, step back and let them make up their own minds about what they're going to do. And, if you're a good friend, you support them and wish them all best success!

If they succeed, have a party.

And if they fail, there are no, "I told you so's". None of that, "If you'd just done what I said!" stuff. You let it go, and continue to support them as they find their way in life.

The kind of "s/mothering" you're doing isn't good for anyone, whether they're your best friend or your own offspring. Or even a spouse. It doesn't matter if you're right or not, and it doesn't matter if you have their best interests in mind, you just can't go about trying to force people to live their lives the way you think they should.

(That said, if your friend is complaining a lot and annoying you, you can always refuse to discuss it and ask to talk about some other topic.)

Your advice is good in terms of having her go back to her old job in the period of time before she moves to FL to ho back to school since it will enable her to become a bit more financially secure in preparation for the move.

However, she won't listen to you so stop aggravating yourself trying to help/advise her. It's a waste of time.

I have a friend like that. Areas of her life that she's not happy with. We have discussions where I give viable suggestions. Such as her house is always messy. This bothers her. My suggestion was break it down into small jobs, for example clean this section of the living room. Go through the bags, boxes and stuff laying around and either garbage, donate or keep. I've offered to help her do it.

But she'd prefer to keep complaining about her messy house, the fact that she can't have people over cuz she's embarrassed that it's messy and so forth.

So when she starts that litany with me, I simply say "I've given you a viable solution and offered to help. If you choose not to accept my solution and help then there's nothing else I can do so there's no point talking about. You're handling it the way you see fit".

It doesn't change her situation, but I no longer get frustrated having the same pointless conversation 65 million times with no different result.

Good for her for realizing at 25 that she'd like to take another path. She's still young. I know people that went back to school in their late 30's to change careers after they had families. It was hard but for the most part it worked out inn the end.

My DD24 just quit her job. She was there straight out of college for 3 years and hated it. She saved up quite a bit of money and is looking into a graduate program, but right now she's just taking it easy for a couple months to regroup and contemplate her future. I'm worried, but at this point in her life, with no children or mortgage and the ability to live on a shoestring, I'm trying to be supportive. It's better than a midlife crisis. Lol.

[QUOTE="Disney Doll, post: 58224731, member: 18254

I have a friend like that. Areas of her life that she's not happy with. We have discussions where I give viable suggestions. Such as her house is always messy. This bothers her. My suggestion was break it down into small jobs, for example clean this section of the living room. Go through the bags, boxes and stuff laying around and either garbage, donate or keep. I've offered to help her do it.

But she'd prefer to keep complaining about her messy house, the fact that she can't have people over cuz she's embarrassed that it's messy and so forth.

So when she starts that litany with me, I simply say "I've given you a viable solution and offered to help. If you choose not to accept my solution and help then there's nothing else I can do so there's no point talking about. You're handling it the way you see fit".

It doesn't change her situation, but I no longer get frustrated having the same pointless conversation 65 million times with no different result.[/QUOTE]

I have a coworker like that. She is in a terrible marriage and her spouse insists his wants (not needs) come before the kids or hers. For a while we all tried to help, however when it became clear she just was complaining but had already made a conscientious decision to support whatever her husband demanded, I moved on. I cannot bear to listen to what the kids do not have, etc, so I just say "I have no idea what to say." and walk away. She no longer tells me her tales of woe, although do hear her conversations from my office. I am so much better off now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter