Trying to set up Roku at OKW

eva

Often uses her unique ability to close threads.
We are at OKW right now and are having trouble with using our Rokus on both tv’s. We have never had this problem in the past. To hook in we actually had to disconnect their system this time. We’ve never had to do that. And when we do that their remote no longer controls the volume. We tried to sync the Roku remote but it just won’t sync. We don’t use Google Chromecast. That seems to be the only way to stream any more. We have been using Roku’s at the resorts for years. Now all of a sudden we can’t unless we want no sound. Any ideas?

Strange, that's the first i've heard of them not working. We were able to use a Roku stick at BWV and CCV no problem just 3 weeks ago. I know there have been reports of the TVs getting replaced with the Riviera style smart TVs in various resorts, I know some (all?) at AKV have been replaced. With those you don't need an external device to stream

We had the same at AKL on the new TV’s earlier this month. We had to disconnect their system to plug in the fire stick but then like you said the volume doesn’t work at all and it was stuck at full. I couldn’t find a way around it and in the end gave up and streamed through the Tv but it was hit and miss and kept disconnecting some nights.

The fire stick worked at CCV the week before no problem.

I am at the Disney Hilton Head Resort. When I try to connect to the Disney Guest Wi which the ROKU sees, the two steps are wireless connection and the internet connection. It will not connect to the wireless and bombs out. I called maintenance. They said they Roku will not connect because it needs "a landing page which Disney's new fiber cable does not have".

Does anyone have any ideas?

I am at the Disney Hilton Head Resort. When I try to connect to the Disney Guest Wi which the ROKU sees, the two steps are wireless connection and the internet connection. It will not connect to the wireless and bombs out. I called maintenance. They said they Roku will not connect because it needs "a landing page which Disney's new fiber cable does not have".

Does anyone have any ideas?
When we stayed at Christmas last year, we had the same problem with the volume. We tried for about 15 minutes to search for the volume buttons on the TV. We gave up and called IT. They promptly came and found volume buttons on the back of the TV. They are there just really hard to see. We felt like idiots because we couldn't find the buttons :blush:but the IT guy said they get this call all the time. They said they were glad it was nothing more complicated, it made their job easier.

As mentioned, the only way I've found with the newer TV systems is disconnecting their system and plugging in your own. I had to do this at Saratoga Springs earlier this month. The TVs do have very small, hidden volume controls that you can set - you can't control them via the remote so it's a matter of setting where you like for a show or movie and keeping it - or getting up and adjusting manually throughout.

It might be worth trying to find a cheap code-scanning universal remote and see if it can find the TV and control the volume. There are simple, big button remotes for seniors that automatically scan all codes to find the TV, and only control channel and volume - since that's all you'd want, maybe those could work with the TVs at DVC. I bought one called EasyMote for my elderly stepfather, and setup was a cinch for his TV - I may even try one when I'm at Boulder Ridge this June...they're $17 so I wouldn't be out too much if it didn't work.

We had a similar problem at the GF with our fire stick. I was able to just connect it to the TV without unplugging anything, but couldn’t adjust the volume at all. And it was LOUD. I even tried muting the volume before switching over and it didn’t make a difference. Couldn’t find that darn volume buttons. @Lucky Wall-E, where are the buttons??

But I was able to cast everything that I wanted to watch on the TV. It’s just more streamlined when I use my fire stick.

We had a similar problem at the GF with our fire stick. I was able to just connect it to the TV without unplugging anything, but couldn’t adjust the volume at all. And it was LOUD. I even tried muting the volume before switching over and it didn’t make a difference. Couldn’t find that darn volume buttons. @Lucky Wall-E, where are the buttons??

But I was able to cast everything that I wanted to watch on the TV. It’s just more streamlined when I use my fire stick.
This is late coming to you. Hopefully you found the buttons and were able to watch your show. I should have taken a picture because I am not sure if I can quite remember the location of the buttons. The buttons were on the back of the TV near a square like area. The color of the buttons were the same as the black TV making it difficult to see.
Disney IT department really doesn't mind being called for this if you can't locate the buttons. You can call the front desk to let them know of the problem and they can connect you with the IT department or call the IT department to come to your room.
I hope your vacation was/is marvelous.:smickey:

There is a way to control it from the remote control but I do not want to explain and in the chance something gets lost in translation, goes wrong and I get blamed. I wanted to figure it out at Saratoga in January for the newer welcome tv’s and found the info on YouTube. It has worked without Apple TV and switch at all new welcome main screen tv’s at AKL, Saratoga and Copper Creek. I couldn’t find the box at the GF new DVC rooms so not there. We always put the items on but never end up using them :).

This is the same system Marriott uses as well.

There is a way to control it from the remote control but I do not want to explain and in the chance something gets lost in translation, goes wrong and I get blamed. I wanted to figure it out at Saratoga in January for the newer welcome tv’s and found the info on YouTube. It has worked without Apple TV and switch at all new welcome main screen tv’s at AKL, Saratoga and Copper Creek. I couldn’t find the box at the GF new DVC rooms so not there. We always put the items on but never end up using them :).

This is the same system Marriott uses as well.
Not sure what you think you’d get blamed for :confused3 , but at least post a link to the YouTube video you used.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter