TSA Says DON'T Lock Checked Bags!

On a recent business trip I had a combination lock threaded through the ends of my zipper tags. Evidently my bag was searched (no note inside - that is a new feature) after it was checked. Instead of simply snipping off the lock, the zipper tags themselves were snipped off - rendering my bag unlockable now because there is nothing left to thread a lock through on the zipper. The lock could have been easily snipped - why remove the entire zipper tag and metal eyes at the base of the zipper is beyond me. Security is one thing, purposely damaging beyond repair is another. Know how hard it is to attempt to close a zipper without anything to actually use to close it? Very difficult.....

Not only that, kendall - but I recall 60 Minutes or one of those shows doing a big feature that showed airport baggage handlers getting into people's luggage (those who did not securely lock it), rummaging around and even taking some things. They had it on video. Sure, security is stepped up, but airport workers are still human and that means you will have rule breakers. I think I may start taking my chances with FedEx shipping again. I don't pack anything suspicious, but I know how those "random checks" can be!

Hey - Think what a profit loss the lock manufacturers will suffer!

This one has nothing to do with random-ness. If the airport you are flying from has the new xray equipment, that's what they'll use unless they see something they don't like. But at many smaller airports - like mine here in Manchester, NH - they will have to use other methods, including hand searches to comply with the law.

http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?theme=44&content=654

Are the bags searched before you check them in at the counter? If so can't you put a lock on at that time??

I don't object to hand searches when you're present for them, but I do object to hand searches when I am not present. I was traveling from Cedar Rapids back to Atlanta this week when my rolling carry-on bag was selected for a hand search. I had arranged things "just so" so that I could maximize the space available to me. The TSA agent wasn't able to rearrange the contents of my suitcase as effectively and he was therefore unable to close my suitcase. Fortunately I was right there and I was able to repack it. But I often pack my checked luggage just as carefully. If the TSA agents inspecting my checked luggage not in my presence are unable to repack my bag as carefully as I packed it, they're probably going to just jam my suitcase until it fits. And of course, they're "not liable" if they break anything. Yet another reason why I'll continue to carry on all my luggage as much as possible.

Originally posted by Bev J
Are the bags searched before you check them in at the counter? If so can't you put a lock on at that time??

No they are not. They are searched after you check them, I believe.

For those that now worry about the contents of your bag getting stolen or your bag getting lost.... don't worry. The govt has a phone number you can call to report issues. :rolleyes: Of course, we all know how efficient that will be.

There is another article <B><a href="http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/2002/2002-12-19-tsa-travel.htm" target="index">HERE</A></B> that elaborates on how to pack and even states: "<I>Food items, like cheese or chocolate, can be mistaken by bomb-detection machines, for explosives and would generate a so-called "false positive</I>." TSA screeners will hand-search all bags that give false positive readings. That is why they now say "no food or drink in packed luggage."

They also remind us to put toothbrushes and other personal belongings in plastic bags so screeners won't have to touch them. I've always put nearly <I>everything</I> in plastic zip bags - including my underwear! They point out that shoes should be packed last to make it easier for screeners to hand search luggage. The problem with that is that to pack properly, shoes need to be placed at the <I>bottom</I> of a bag because heaviest items should go on the bottom. This new policy goes against effective packing. As Dave said, I am sure most of these people will just cram everything back in after taking everything out - the way many do with the carry-on checks. I am not against security, but like others, I have serious objections to anyone going through my things when I am not present!

I usually use soft-sided duffles. Can I still use cable ties to hold the zippers closed? If needed, they can easily cut through them. If I included some extra cable ties in the bag, any chance they would re-secure it after the search?

I'm just envisioning my duffles coming down the conveyer at my destination with clothing, etc. spilling out.

Peggy

peg2001 - the article from the TSA says that cable ties are ok. In fact, they are suggesting that they be made available for free at all airports.

I have also begun putting most everything in plastic. Another option is a packing cube. I have seen the security people actually smile when they see these bc it makes their job much easier.

index.cfm

I purchased luggage straps from Walter Drake with our name embroidered on them. Each trip from Indy to Orlando the straps were missing when I received my luggage but the luggage locks were untampered with. With an unusual last name, I can't believe that these were just "taken" but what else can I believe?

I don't agree with this new policy at all. I don't mind showing what I pack to anyone but I think it goes beyond reason to have individuals check my luggage without my presence.

Just my two cents!
Rae

I just hate the thought of somebody digging through my bags while i am not there, it seems kind of an invasion of my privacy somehow.
We have started packing everything in the clear space type bags, no vacume needed you just roll them to force the air out. Now will the bag invaders need to open these bags also or will they just eyeball them. If they open them I just can't see them taking the time to reroll them.
We have been using cable ties for years, with luggage straps, do I have to leave the straps off now also??

I am so looking forward to the next time I travel--NOT!!!

1st - we all should remember why they are doing this, under the old system a bomb could be put in checked luggage and it would not be detected because no screening was done of checked luggage. Now, they will xray checked luggage, to make sure that doesn't happen. I feel it is no different than standing in longer lines after 9/11, it is what is needed to be as safe as possible. I will adjust my packing habits though, putting everything in the ziplocs and space bags, making it easier for them to repack if they have to search it. If I pack in those and squeeze the air out, I don't have to worry about them repacking and wrinkling things.

2nd - I saw on 60 minutes I believe in the last few days that they recommended the cable ties. My only question is this, you cannot carry anything sharp to cut them off in your carryon luggage, I even think that includes nail clippers, so how do you get them off when you get to your destination? Most hotel rooms don't have sissors!

Originally posted by kajohn

2nd - I saw on 60 minutes I believe in the last few days that they recommended the cable ties. My only question is this, you cannot carry anything sharp to cut them off in your carryon luggage, I even think that includes nail clippers, so how do you get them off when you get to your destination? Most hotel rooms don't have sissors!

Nail clippers are allowed. At one point, they were banning the type with the metal file attached, but I believe they may be allowed now too. In any case, clippers without the metal file will be allowed and work well for cutting off cable ties.

Julie

Is this just airport security or is this done with checked luggage at the port also? We are driving to port, so no plane ride.

Originally posted by mickeymom629

Is this just airport security or is this done with checked luggage at the port also?

I don't believe the TSA has taken jurisdiction over security at the cruise terminal. That being said, I believe they do allow dogs to sniff the luggage prior to delivery to your stateroom. They may do some x-raying as well because "suspicious" bags are held. I don't believe they do any actual inspections of the bags outside of your presence, however. If they have reason to suspect something in your checked luggage, they will summon you to the inspection.

We had a leatherman in the outside pouch of one of our checked bags......took it to cut the cable ties. Well, it made it through the airports, but it was missing when the porters delivered it to our room. We thought I had forgotten to pack them until we received a letter from customer services 2 days into the cruise saying that they had removed "contraband". DCL did open the suitcase w/o us being there, and held it at the port until we returned. Just a "heads up"

I remember reading on these threads that wrapping your luggage with bright duct tape will help you identify yours more quickly. I guess this is for getting OFF the ship, am I correct?

Could you imagine the logistical nightmare if the TSA had to find the person whose luggage allerted on the EDT machine? OMG no flight would ever get off on time. I have never ever locked my luggage even when flying to and from foreign countries. NEVER once was anything missing. Knowing the TSA personnel that I do and knowing the criteria for hiring (police or military background) I am not worried about them checking my bags without me being present. And as far as the concerns about baggage handlers...all SIDA badged employees have to go through an FBI check now (which includes NCIC). I'm not saying that there may still be some "bad" people out there, cuz there always will be, but it's just another check that can't hurt.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter