• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

awndrayuhhh

Earning My Ears
Less of a rumor and more of an idea, I think the now-defunct (is anyone surprised?) NBA Experience should be replaced with a Disney Museum. There are so many artifacts hidden away, it could be a great space to show off some props, get a glimpse behind the scenes of various movies, and learn more about Disney's history. Plus, it will never go out of style!

I did a mock-up of how this could be built on the current site.

Drawing.jpeg
Level 1:
- Ticketing
- The History of Disney: This could include things from Walt's past, the story of the Disney Brothers, maybe a mock-up of Walt's office or a room in his home, etc.
- One Man's Dream Amphitheater: In addition to some artifacts, they could move an updated version of One Man's Dream film out of Hollywood Studios and relocate it here, making more room in the parks.
- Merchandise: Would love to see museum-related merch with older pictures of Walt and cell paintings, etc.

8acdef26-9ea9-48d1-8d95-9d754b9c2350-1.sketchpad.jpeg
Level 2:
- Disney and Pixar Animation: Lots of opportunity here for little ones and hands-on activities. Follow the history of Disney animation as they move from 2D into 3D movies. Learn how they craft these movies from script to screen. Try out creating your own sound effects in the Foley studio, do voice overs for popular animated characters, and see designs that never made it to the final screen.
- Animation Drawing Class: Always a favorite, learn to draw an animated Disney/Pixar character.
- Recent Release: Would it be Disney if they weren't promoting themselves? This area features new and upcoming movies from Disney with limited-time items and behind-the-scenes glimpses at movies before they are stored away in the vault.

8acdef26-9ea9-48d1-8d95-9d754b9c2350-2.sketchpad.jpeg
Level 3:
- Live-Action/Star Wars/Marvel: Pretty straight forward. Areas dedicated to popular live-action movies and franchises, also featuring things like Pirates of the Caribbean and Mary Poppins.
- Restaurant: The Break Room. Celebrating each and every (well, maybe not EVERY) person who has helped make Disney what it is today. Cafeteria-style food (think Ikea) and a featured wall where if you show your cast member ID, you get to sign your name to it. Decorated with artifacts donated by cast members from all areas of the company.

8acdef26-9ea9-48d1-8d95-9d754b9c2350-3.sketchpad.jpeg
Level 4:
- Disney Parks: From conception to final product, the history of Disney parks around the globe. Featuring an interactive place to create your own ride and walk through in virtual reality (maybe even bring back The Sum of All Thrills?). See original drawings by Imagineers and mock-ups for your favorite attractions - or ones that got scrapped at the drawing board.
- Restaurant (Rooftop Patio): Seating only accessible through Level 3. Overlooks Disney Springs.

Last edited:
The problem with it is that the average Disney guest isn't interested in something like that. They already do have the one man's dream exhibit in the studios and most of the time now they swap out the film for a preview of an upcoming movie.

I agree with East, personally I love the idea. But I don’t see it being very popular especially with the price point Disney would put on it.

I would love some sort of D23/Disney archive revolving display either in that space or plus up one man’s dream to make it more of an overall archive vs just about walt especially as it’s been stripped down through the years to add the meet & greet space…

If you went with the studios route you could even replace sully with a revolving rare character interaction exclusive to d23 members as Disney likes its exclusive events

I expect it to be turned into a temporary Halloween Store and then Xmas decorations like they do in all the strip malls with empty grocery stores or a clearance Disney last chance store.
I did not realize it was that large.

I am all for it. And I am not too afraid of people not being interested in it. There are plenty of museums where you think how they can exist for years. The Walt Disney family museum is one of those. I would never have thought that there were enough people interested in the man behind all this.

In the Netherlands in our oldest and nr. 1 themepark is a museum about the park within the park. It is not the main attraction, of course, and it helps that it is included in your ticket price (it is very small). But I think it could work for Disney as a proper museum. Disney is a world wide phenomen and has meant a lot to the entertainment industry.

As said, there have been museums opened for less.

Whatever goes into that space has to make money..HUGE MONEY. The space is 4-5 story's , so it is big.

Something that will appeal to teens and young adults who have to money.
What is funny, video games would work , but run it NOT like Disney Quest.

Yeah, they need to do something with it. My vote would be something similar to The VOID VR experience that they had for a while. Keep it in-house, and have several scenarios. Teh grea tthing about that is it can change often as the VR provides all of the visuals, and the rest is just a plywood set of rooms. with various sensory effects - all easily changed out.

It might work if it's free to enter (and see the museum area) and then upcharge for other elements. It would be a good place to stash feature relics from old rides and walk the history of Disney as well as the evolution of WDW, and then provide additional activities for a quick swipe of a magic band.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter