Tusker House - Buffet or Family Style?

heidischm

Earning My Ears
My understanding is that during COVID, Tusker House meals switched from buffet to family style. I hadn't read or heard this had changed, but Disney Dining currently lists the meal as a buffet.

Has anyone eaten there recently who can confirm which is accurate? Thank you!

A) Thank you!
B) Yeessssss!
C) Did I have it correct that it was family style for a bit? I may have confused it with another character meal.

Regardless, this is really awesome news! Our 2yo and 4yo are super picky and I was afraid I'd have to spend the whole meal asking the servers to make sure the different foods didn't touch on the family style plates, or my kids wouldn't eat it.

A) Thank you!
B) Yeessssss!
C) Did I have it correct that it was family style for a bit? I may have confused it with another character meal.

Regardless, this is really awesome news! Our 2yo and 4yo are super picky and I was afraid I'd have to spend the whole meal asking the servers to make sure the different foods didn't touch on the family style plates, or my kids wouldn't eat it.

You are correct. When we went in Sept 2021 it was family style (this was breakfast). Glad to hear they have gone back to buffet as we felt the family style was not worth the price at that time.

You are correct. When we went in Sept 2021 it was family style (this was breakfast). Glad to hear they have gone back to buffet as we felt the family style was not worth the price at that time.
Fantastic news, thanks everyone! I'm pretty pumped about this development!

Its back to Buffet and way worth it, we love going there for the food and the Character interaction is one of the best

I must have been the only person who liked the famly style 😂 . I don't like getting up for little people food, I can do that at home for free.
The problem was that the family style for breakfast was fairly limited compared to pre-Covid. The variety was small and not worth it.

And the family style dinner, which we had in 2022, had the least adventurous items, and not the best African inspired salads and spreads. They had the green curry shrimp , which Was the best thing, but I really missed the buffet.

The problem was that the family style for breakfast was fairly limited compared to pre-Covid. The variety was small and not worth it.

We never went pre-COVID because it was a buffet, but my husband still raves about the family style breakfast we had there, there was some rice dish that he just devoured. We'd probably never do lunch or dinner there because while my kids are "picky" they won't eat the food that kids eat...

We never went pre-COVID because it was a buffet, but my husband still raves about the family style breakfast we had there, there was some rice dish that he just devoured. We'd probably never do lunch or dinner there because while my kids are "picky" they won't eat the food that kids eat...
We can’t do lunch or dinner either; our son only likes the breakfast. He’s off to college next fall, so we will be hitting up all the things he doesn’t like to eat on our adult only trips🤣

Yes!

We went to the family style version in 2021 and it was ok. But we skipped it completely in 2022 as it was just not the same. When it was announced as back in 2023, we went and had such a great meal and experience that we went back later in the week a second time.

Yes!

We went to the family style version in 2021 and it was ok. But we skipped it completely in 2022 as it was just not the same. When it was announced as back in 2023, we went and had such a great meal and experience that we went back later in the week a second time.
so it's back to buffet? having 3 food scavenger teens this might be huge for next trip

so it's back to buffet? having 3 food scavenger teens this might be huge for next trip

Yes, it went back to buffet and our meals there last September were both amazing. Just like we remembered. And the characters (especially on our first visit) were amazing. Came around multiple times.

We did the buffet at beginning of October. Characters were great. It was not unlike every other Disney breakfast buffet. Reviews/blogs made it seem like the African flair to it was going to be more pronounced. We surveyed the entire offerings, and it was only slightly more "exotic" than every other breakfast buffet at WDW, so just FYI. But, I might have also been on character meal fatigue as we did 4 over the course of a 12-day trip. (Crystal Palace - not good experience; Garden Grill - breakfast (great); Topolino's Terrace (great); Tusker House (good - and we went at 10:30 so we could try items from the breakfast and lunch buffets which we read about that trick on one of the blogs).

Last edited:
We also have picky eaters so breakfast is really the only meal with food to please everyone. Really looking forward to this restaurant after everyone's comments!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter