TY for making a difficult experience magical

jenntish

Mouseketeer
Since Disney is a publicly-traded corporation, people will talk about how the company is not 'magical' and does things for business and $$$. Well, I thought everyone should hear our story and know what an amazing company this is.

I was 5 months pregnant with my 2nd child when my Mother took our entire family on the 3-night Disney Cruise to celebrate her 60th birthday. My husband & our 2 1/2 year old son, my sister's family of 5 & my younger brother. My parents are not wealthy, and my Mom saved for a long time to make this happen.

About 4 hours out to sea, we took our 2 1/2 year old son to the show before dinner. He had a low fever earlier in the day, but seemed fine after giving him some Tylenol. We were planning on having a low-key evening & going right to bed after dinner. A few minutes into the show I noticed my son Tyler, who was sitting on my husband's lap, was convulsing & his eyes were rolled back into his head. I screamed to take him out of the theater... and we ran outside where immediately a cast member ran and got the Medical Team to help us. I had no idea what was happening--my sweet little angel Tyler was blue, foaming at the mouth and unresponsive. The Medical team immediately grabbed Tyler, brought him to the Medical center (which thank goodness was just 9 flights down on that side of the ship), gave him oxygen, took blood/urine/x-rays and found out within minutes that he had a febrile seizure related to a rapid-rising fever due to PNEUMONIA! My son was still unconscious.

The medical team asked if we had trip insurance. We did not (I had never even heard of it before). They wanted to airlift our son back to FL, but the cost was ~$30,000. If he was taken to the hospital in the Bahamas the next day, NO medical costs would be covered because it was not in the US, nor would we get any $$$ back for flights, missed trip, etc. So the captain & Doctor, without even discussing with us, TURNED THE SHIP AROUND so my son could get US Medical Care ASAP and not put our young family into serious debt. It apparently cost Disney anywhere from $10K - $100K to cover the additional port charges and fuel.

Disney never asked us for a dime, aside from the Medical facility charges of just $1200 (which I expected to be MUCH higher based on oxygen, an IV, lab works, x-rays, bed in ER, etc.) At a US hospital/ER/Doctor it would have cost probably $5-$10K for everything they did. They DID assign us a 'fairy godmother' who checked on us several times a day at the hospital. When we were released, our Fairy Godmother (FG) got us a REALLY reduced room at the Grand Floridian because we had nowhere to go & it was Super Soap weekend. Then, the FG sent an amazing giftbasket to the room, along with a "Happy 60th Birthday" cake for my mom with candles! Disney gave us access to the concierge lounge, TWO free character dinners & two free park passes (which we could use on a later trip). They even told my son he could go the gift shop and pick out any treat he wanted!

I have never in my life been more impressed with how a corporation would handle a customer crisis. I will forever be grateful to Disney for making what was the most terrifying night of my life, a little bit easier to bear. Please share this story with other Disney fans or better yet, the Disney naysayers in your life.

All my best,
Jenn

Jen,
I must say I am in tears reading your story.:(
As a Disney Cast Member I often hear the "it's just another company talk" and "the magic is all for show"
It's stories like this that Cast Members pass around just for the knowledge that we indeed work for somewhere magical - somewhere that the almighty dollar isn't "always" first priority.

If you dont' mind I'm going to take your story into the Reservations Center to share with the cast as another reminder of what we already know.

Please share it with all the CMs you know--because that's my purpose for sharing it on the site. I wanted to thank as many CMs as possible and Disney overall for setting the tone in a company that this is how you should respond to a customer in crisis.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter