Typhoon Lagoon tips??

goofy4wdw2

DIS Veteran
Going to Typhoon Lagoon with our 3 kids (ages 10, 8, and 4.5). Any tips or things not to miss? Thanks!

The wave pool is awesome but very strong. Don't sit on the bottom of the pool-you will get sore from the scraping. We loved the shark reef.

Wave pool is very rough! My kids liked the lazy river, storm slides and doing Shark Reef.

If you do the wave pool, make sure your kids are good swimmers, and I would recommend you put a Disney life jacket on your youngest. I used to make my little guy wear one then would hold on to the waist strap when a wave hit to avoid us getting separated. And as others have said, the bottom of the pool is very rough. I'd recommend being in water up to your chest to avoid being knocked down and dragged along the bottom. Final tip, make sure there is as little traffic as possible between you and the wave. We have been nailed by people in front of us, and I one time got hit in the head by someone's teeth! Man, that hurt.

There are slides and stuff that will work for your youngest besides the family slides. We usually get their at rope drop. Finding chairs is not hard then. It seems the first hour or so crowds are low like the major parks. We do the slides early and the wave pool and lazy river later. If you plan to do the swim with the sharks, check the time it opens and queue up early. Last year the line was long as soon as it opened.

For the wave pool ... there's a section next to the entrance of the children's slides with a wall in front of it that is not nearly as rough. The wall breaks the force of the wave so you just get it coming from the side. My 8 year old can swim but I wouldn't call him a strong swimmer, and we feel perfectly comfortable letting him play around there without a life jacket. It helps that it's relatively shallow. I'd definitely recommend getting there at opening and doing the slides and saving the wave pool and lazy river for when the lines start to get backed up.

I highly recommend going to the side of the wave pool rather then the center, the wave is not as strong. We like to go to the right side of the wave pool. I agree with others, do the slides at park opening when they are slower.

Agreed on the shark reef, it's pretty awesome but the water is very cold! My 9 year old daughter loved it. We went through about 3 times before she finally moved on to the wave pool

I agree with the PPs ---- wave pool waves are strong - the pool bottom is very rough - the shark reef water is super chilly.

I also agree that you should go on the slides early - make sure you go on Crush 'n' Gusher --- so fun! One thing about the tube/raft slides - you have to carry the tube/rafts up stairs - after doing this a few times I was worn out! Whew!

I am so glad to see this today. I just logged on to check out water park information. We plan on taking our kids there in June. We have never been to any waterparks and have so many logistics questions (what shoes to wear, lockers, towels, changing, showers, etc,) about the water parks and of course they are the parks with the least amount of information.

I will be watching this thread closely.

Thanks everyone!! I know our 4 year old can do Gangplank Falls, lazy river, and wave pool with us. He can also do the kids area without our older two kids. Are there other slides all of us can do or will we be mostly splitting up for slides? He's about 43 inches.

One thing to keep in mind about shark reef, unless they've changed the antiseptic/ sanitizer solution, it is very strong my son got his mask. Put it on and didn't even make it to the shower heads they have on the path to get in line. Burned his face. We had him stand under the shower for several minutes and his face stayed red for most of the day.
Hope that hasn't happened to too many others. We have never gone back to shark reef to try again because it was so bad for him.

One thing to keep in mind about shark reef, unless they've changed the antiseptic/ sanitizer solution, it is very strong my son got his mask. Put it on and didn't even make it to the shower heads they have on the path to get in line. Burned his face. We had him stand under the shower for several minutes and his face stayed red for most of the day.
Hope that hasn't happened to too many others. We have never gone back to shark reef to try again because it was so bad for him.

This happened to my ds and dnephew this past Aug. as well. I didn't know what they were talking about as it didn't effect the adults in our party, just them, but interesting to hear that others had the same experience. It wasn't horrible, but he just said it burned his lips and his eyes stung. I don't remember it happening the last time we did it which would have been about 3 years ago now.

For those who do not rent the chairs and umbrellas and are willing to get there at least 30-45 minutes before they open, where is the best place with the most shade to set up camp at when the allow you through the gate?

If you ride Humunga Kowabunga, DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT uncross your legs before you come to almost a complete stop. :scared1:

I would recommend Life Jackets on all your kids at the wave pool... nothing to do with being able to swim or not. The bottom in the front is rough concrete and if a wave knocks them down they will likely get road rash. it is a VERY common occurrence at that wave pool.

Thanks everyone!! I know our 4 year old can do Gangplank Falls, lazy river, and wave pool with us. He can also do the kids area without our older two kids. Are there other slides all of us can do or will we be mostly splitting up for slides? He's about 43 inches.
The bay slides are on the left side of the wave pool. They are for kids. My daughter still likes them and she is 10 and she also loved them when she was a tiny 5 year old. Your 4 year old should be big enough for them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter