Unauthorized pool visits +

BLT's pool is way too small for us. Last time we were there (October 2012), it was so crowded, DH and I used the Contemporary pools every day.

AmyB2006 said:
The only place I've seen them check IDs is SAB at BC/YC. And then at that, only when it's crowded to begin with.

Simple answer, they don't.

I'm happy to report that when we stayed at the BCVs last October, the pool area was barely more than deserted and they still checked each if our KTTW cards and wristbanded us too.

I'm surprised some people say "who cares?". When I or anyone else am staying at resort, obviously the amount of people using facilities such as the pool- and chairs/tables- affects my experience. Also, paying guests are allowed visitors (such as family living nearby or at another resort) only when the CM deems it okay due to crowd levels! People who follow the rules and ASK.
Particularly at a place like AKJ , where people come for dining and animal watching, and others near parks- it is happening.
I am psyched to hear that the rules are being enforced a little more. Overhearing a large family at the MK deciding whether they would rather go to the Poly or CR pools for a break before the night activities ( as those 2 were no fence and towels by the pool places) got me aggravated! One of the groups was staying at the Pop, and 2 others were offsite. ( I wasn't eavesdropping. They were loud and dining at the table next to us hashing this out, and had absolutely no intention of returning to their own resorts for their break.)
I was actually considering staying offsite for a few nights next trip, and was speaking to the front desk there. When I was disappointed to hear they didnt have regular shuttles back during the day ( to use THAT pool) - I was told I could just use Disney transportation and go to a WDW resort for that!

I was actually considering staying offsite for a few nights next trip, and was speaking to the front desk there. When I was disappointed to hear they didnt have regular shuttles back during the day ( to use THAT pool) - I was told I could just use Disney transportation and go to a WDW resort for that!

OMG!!! You have GOT to be kidding me???? Grrrrrrr......... I do not even own DVC but we stay on-site for all of our trips. I absolutely want CMs checking to ensure the proper guests only are using the pools and facilities. Why do I care? Because to do otherwise is plain rude and brazen. The entitlement that some people feel shocks me regularly.

We stayed at BLT and BCV in April/May. We were new members, so wanted to pool hop. Hit the parks early, pool hopped by 1pm. I took the 5 yr old and did the Monorail crawl. The only time someone checked our ID was later in the day at the Contemporary and we got wristbands. All I could think of was, wow I could just walk in to these grand pools and no one would care. The Grand Floridian with its kiddie splash playground, the cool Volcano pool with few seats, all of it.

I think BLT is off limits because it's soooo small.

People come for dinner/breakfast at Boma or Mara, then go out to swim. They are enjoying the campfires and pool for hours.
We visit various resorts to eat, rent boats, walk around, and enjoy the campfires. Just wanted to mention that MouseSavers.com indicates that campfires at Disney resorts are available to any guest of any Disney resort, not just those staying at the particular resort. That has been my understanding for years as well.

I've read a lot about the rules re pool hopping- some people aren't even staying on property!
The question was about people staying off site using the pools.
There has been some discussion here about pool-hoppers from the Disney value resorts as well. Some people staying at other Disney resorts don't know that pool-hopping is not permitted because they think they are staying at the collective "Walt Disney World Resort" but most who hop probably just ignore known rules. Shame.

A few years back we were staying at BCV and our room over looked the pool. ... After everyone left they pushed there baby stroller over to the towel bin and loaded it full and headed for the parking lot.
How did you know they were headed for the parking lot and not just going back to their studio/hotel room (no inroom washer/dryer) with extra towels? Lots of people do that, whether it's appropriate or not, especially in the hot summer when more than one shower or bath per day is common. :confused3 This would not be like pool-hopping though.

We just spent Memorial Day weekend at Boardwalk Villas, and they were checking room keys at the main pool on Saturday and Sunday. This was a "no pool hopping allowed" weekend.

They didn't check on Tuesday, though.

On a side note, on Monday we were at the DVC quiet pool in the later evening ...8:30 p.m. until about 10:30 or so, and we were joined by a group of teens who had driven over from Celebration. They were not guests of the resort.

There were no CMs in the area, and I honestly wasn't too sure what to do. DD and I were calling it a night anyway, but it was one of those uncomfortable moments - should I call the front desk, or just head back to the room? We opted for the latter, but if a CM had been in the area I would have discreetly mentioned something to him/her.

We just stayed at BLT this June; wife and three DD (16, 13, 8) and the pool, although nice, is the least impressive of the facilities. My girls were not begging to go to the pool. I think poly, GF, and wilderness lodge all have pools with nicer scenery. I guess we are all spoiled.

I may actually have to try pool hopping at Poly when I am at GFV in Dec. Their pool bar has some awesome drinks!! Anyone know if they have pool towels at the pool?

Heads up: You cannot get a Lapu Lapu from the Barefoot Pool Bar- only Tambu Lounge. At least this is how it was last August.

We just stayed at BLT this June; wife and three DD (16, 13, 8) and the pool, although nice, is the least impressive of the facilities. My girls were not begging to go to the pool. I think poly, GF, and wilderness lodge all have pools with nicer scenery. I guess we are all spoiled.

I agree that the pool at BLT isn't as impressive as WL or Poly. But I also agree at the spoiled. I mean, it overlooks Bay Lake and has palm trees all around it.

I think of it as a larger DVC/quiet pool like BCV has. BLT is part of a larger complex - @ Contemporary Resort just like the BCV is part of the Beach Club. BLT's pool, then, isn't the main pool, nor does it pretend to be. The difference is that BLT has twice the amount of rooms as BCV, so it needed to be a bigger facility overall. But looking at it that way, you have to admit that BLT's pool is a lot nicer than BCV's, which faces a parking lot and bus depot.

I agree that the pool at BLT isn't as impressive as WL or Poly. But I also agree at the spoiled. I mean, it overlooks Bay Lake and has palm trees all around it.

I think of it as a larger DVC/quiet pool like BCV has. BLT is part of a larger complex - @ Contemporary Resort just like the BCV is part of the Beach Club. BLT's pool, then, isn't the main pool, nor does it pretend to be. The difference is that BLT has twice the amount of rooms as BCV, so it needed to be a bigger facility overall. But looking at it that way, you have to admit that BLT's pool is a lot nicer than BCV's, which faces a parking lot and bus depot.

BLT is just an addition to the CR, not a standalone resort. The BLT pool is hardly a leisure pool because it has a slide, lifeguards and daytime pool activities. CR has two other pools that guests at BLT are entitled to use. One of those is themed and the other is just a big square deep pool right next to the lake.

If the pools aren't too busy, what does it matter? We are DVC members and have the right to pool hop, but have never taken advantage of this...why? Because it is too complicated, we would need to bring a change of clothes, store them somewhere, get towels (or bring them) if they aren't available at the pool, check in at the front desk, etc.

But if someone wants to and it's not preventing the people who are staying at the resort form enjoying the facilities, why care about it?
There are really 2 issues. One is that it often is crowded and thus affects the experience of those who do have a right to be there. The other is related to integrity, namely they don't have any. I do realize there may be a very few that were told somewhere along the way it was OK and truly don't know better but this was have to be such a small group as to be negligible.

I don't know who you spoke to but what you were told does not match the published pool policy. You run the risk of each CM having a different take on what's allowed. You may be allowed to swim on one day and not the next. The policy was on the member website but I can't tell you where. I'm sure someone has a copy and I hope that they post it.

:earsboy: Bill

I spoke to the cast member who is on chat at the DVC member website. I actually own points at both Jambo and Kidani (and also SSR, but that isn't the issue). FYI, I pay maintenance at both resorts, like everybody else who owns points there. When I asked the question, I was quite explicit in what the hypothetical situation would be. For what it's worth, personally, I wouldn't want to bring a change of clothes with me to dinner at Boma so I could swim at the pool at Jambo. I do enjoy watching the animals outside, and, in the 10 years or so that I have owned points in DVC, and the approx 25 times or so I have stayed at AKL Kidani or Jambo, I have never once been asked to show a room key to watch animals, either by the fire or on the porches, or to use the hot tubs, or to swim. We don't usually go to the pool when it is crowded, though. I don't really like crowds. When we stayed at BCV, we were asked to show the room key to use the pool, which is fine.

By the way, I don't know who you are, or by what means you come by your expertise in the matter.

I spoke to the cast member who is on chat at the DVC member website. I actually own points at both Jambo and Kidani (and also SSR, but that isn't the issue). FYI, I pay maintenance at both resorts, like everybody else who owns points there. When I asked the question, I was quite explicit in what the hypothetical situation would be. For what it's worth, personally, I wouldn't want to bring a change of clothes with me to dinner at Boma so I could swim at the pool at Jambo. I do enjoy watching the animals outside, and, in the 10 years or so that I have owned points in DVC, and the approx 25 times or so I have stayed at AKL Kidani or Jambo, I have never once been asked to show a room key to watch animals, either by the fire or on the porches, or to use the hot tubs, or to swim. We don't usually go to the pool when it is crowded, though. I don't really like crowds. When we stayed at BCV, we were asked to show the room key to use the pool, which is fine.

By the way, I don't know who you are, or by what means you come by your expertise in the matter.
IF you're staying at one, you can use the pools at the other. However, owning or paying dues has nothing to do with it since DVC does not allow day use. So if you were staying at BWV, you could not use the AKV pools even owning there. Here's the policy.

When staying on your Membership at any Disney Vacation Club Resort at the Walt Disney World Resort or Disneys Vero Beach Resort, you
and any Guests staying with you are permitted to use most of the other Disney Vacation Club and Walt Disney World Resort hotel pools (in addition to the pool at the resort hotel at which you are staying) if they are not at capacity. If the pool you are visiting reaches capacity, you may be asked to leave in order to accommodate Guests of that resort hotel. Please check with a host or hostess at the front desk of the resort you wish to visit before you go to find out about pool-access availability. You must present your current Key to the World Card with your DVC Member designation on it to use the other resort hotel pools.
Pool hopping is not available at Bay Cove Pool at Bay Lake Tower at Disneys Contemporary Resort, Uzima Pool and Samawati Springs Pool at Disneys Animal Kingdom Lodge, Stormalong Bay at Disneys Yacht & Beach Club Resorts, the leisure pool at Disneys Beach Club Villas, and the pools at Disneys Art of Animation Resort. There are no exceptions to this policy.
Resort hotel pools may become unavailable from time to time due to capacity limitations. Due to the high occupancy that is expected, you and any Guests staying with you may not pool hop during the dates listed on the next page. POOL HOPPING BLOCKOUT DATES* February 1623 (SaturdaySaturday)
March 24  April 7 (Sunday  Sunday)
May 2528 (SaturdayTuesday)
June 29July 8 (SaturdayMonday)
August 30September 2 (FridayMonday) November 25December 1 (MondaySunday) December 15January 5 (SundaySunday)
As a reminder, please be mindful of the limited number of pool chairs available, and refrain from leaving towels or personal items on unoccupied pool chairs.
*Other restricted dates may be added based on projected pool capacity.

Back in 2007 when i used to work for the magic kingdom. I pool hopped a few times. I would take the coach bus from my apartment complex get dropped off at one of the parks and either take a bus or monorail to the resort with the pool i wanted to swim in. I did the pool at GF, the volcano pool at Polynesian resort, the pool at the boardwalk and i even did Storm Along Bay. I dont think they had the wrist band thing back then

We just returned from an AKL/BLT/OKW/VB split stay. The only pool we were asked for ID at was BLT. It was fairly early in the morning and other than my Dd's in the pool and an older couple sitting pool side, the pool was empty. It did fill up later. We have had DVC for 15 years. I think it is the only time we have ever been asked for ID at any pool. I think it is a good policy, but we will need to remember the kids cards. The only reason we had them this time was we had just checked in and were waiting for our room.

We did pool hop to Kidani while at Jambo House, otherwise we just went to the pool where we were staying.

We just returned from an AKL/BLT/OKW/VB split stay. The only pool we were asked for ID at was BLT. It was fairly early in the morning and other than my Dd's in the pool and an older couple sitting pool side, the pool was empty. It did fill up later. We have had DVC for 15 years. I think it is the only time we have ever been asked for ID at any pool. I think it is a good policy, but we will need to remember the kids cards. The only reason we had them this time was we had just checked in and were waiting for our room.

We did pool hop to Kidani while at Jambo House, otherwise we just went to the pool where we were staying.

If you are staying at either Jambo House or Kidani Village, you can use either pool. They are both AKL/AKV - it's one resort.

That's funny the BLT pool is our favourite

My girls really liked the BLT slide. I didn't think it was as good as OKW or even VB, but liked it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter