Unexpected availability at DGC question

AllThingsDisney12

Earning My Ears
I had been searching for the longest time for a 3 bedroom suite at the Grand Californian. Then randomly I decided to take one last peak at the Disneyland website after already looking all day and there was an unexpected opening for my exact dates and for the exact room! You can imagine my excitement!!!!!!
However, it’s been a few days now…and now the excitement is turned to worry which might be ridiculous. But I’m worried that it was a glitch. Especially since my dates are for peak summer vacation time. So my question is do you think I’ll get downgraded because it’s peak season and they might be overbooked? Or has anyone had experience like this? And if so what was the out come?
(Also, I have called to check on my reservation and the lady said it should be fine. But I still have anxiety about it! It’s our first family reunion and I want everything to go smoothly! 😬)

Your worry is ridiculous (to use your word, not to be insulting). While Disney has been accused of lots of things, and has let guest service slip in many areas, I have never once heard of them downgrading a room at check-in. You booked a 3BR suite, and that's what you'll get. Enjoy!

Sadly this may not be as ridiculous as it seems. Disney (actually DVC) had two somewhat recent issues where a lot of availability mysteriously showed up when rooms were not actually available. In the most recent occurrence people's reservations were cancelled and they were left with no rooms: DVC left us without a room. This was just last month at the Villas at the Grand Californian.

There was a similar problem with rooms at the Animal Kingdom Villas less than two years ago, but Disney worked to reassign (most) people to other rooms.

That being said, I haven't seen any other threads about similar DVC problems (or threads here about issues on the hotel side), so I think you're probably safe. You might have just been in the right place at the right time after someone cancelled their reservation.

One other thought - how many people/names do you have on the reservation? If you have a number of people who could potentially fit in a 2-room suite, it's possible (but not likely) you could lose your room at check-in. (This would be if they have maintenance issues with the room, for example.) But if you have enough people on the reservation, they'd have a hard time downgrading you to a room that will not fit all of your party.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter