Unfortunately disappointed compared to WDW resorts

The hotel taxes when added together is around 18%, ouch, there is also a small tax on DVC rooms but closer to about 1 or 2%. DVC you save on parking and taxes. If you love Aulani, consider it.
We were there for 15 nights in a one bedroom ocean view and it was a little over $400. But that tax is imposed by the state of Hawaii on every hotel stay on the islands.

We are non-DVC members and had to get a 1 bedroom as a family of 5 so Aulani was $$$ for us. Agree it did not have the level of service we would expect at that price point. We absolutely love the pools and subtle theming. Restaurants are disappointing so we mostly did quick service and ate our own groceries in the room. The big bummer for us is changes to Aunty’s and lack of entertainment, plus various other cuts like no more leis, pool parties, etc just make it less magical. We did not have friendly cast members overall. Oahu is not my favorite island and for the price point we hang at the resort. If we were sightseeing we would book a more affordable hotel and do that a couple days. We typically rent a condo and car on other Hawaiian islands that we prefer visiting.

The big bummer for us is changes to Aunty’s
What were the changes? I remember a big discussion a long while back about why it hadn't reopened yet (when it was still closed that is), wondering what was up. It did seem like a decent amount of people booked Aulani with Aunty's in mind.

We are non-DVC members and had to get a 1 bedroom as a family of 5 so Aulani was $$$ for us. Agree it did not have the level of service we would expect at that price point. We absolutely love the pools and subtle theming. Restaurants are disappointing so we mostly did quick service and ate our own groceries in the room. The big bummer for us is changes to Aunty’s and lack of entertainment, plus various other cuts like no more leis, pool parties, etc just make it less magical. We did not have friendly cast members overall. Oahu is not my favorite island and for the price point we hang at the resort. If we were sightseeing we would book a more affordable hotel and do that a couple days. We typically rent a condo and car on other Hawaiian islands that we prefer visiting.
Did you try Mina’s, Longhi’s, or Noe, all nearby? They’re fantastic restaurants, not at Aulani, but a short walk away. And re entertainment, the luau, movies on the lawn, the character meet and greets, the storyteller, the nighttime star gazing, were all, for us, quite enjoyable. Were the absence of the leis that catastrophic? But if Oahu isn’t your cup of tea, and you prefer visiting the other islands, why did you stay at Aulani in the first place? Not trying to be confrontational, just genuinely curious.

What were the changes? I remember a big discussion a long while back about why it hadn't reopened yet (when it was still closed that is), wondering what was up. It did seem like a decent amount of people booked Aulani with Aunty's in mind.
Now restricted to 5+, limited hours, mandated masks, Vax requirements…the usual BS

Aulani is our favourite DVC resort hands down. We love that it is toned down based on HawAii. The spa is the best we have ever been to, the resort is beautiful and the views to die for.

However we never go there just to stay at Aulani we visit the whole island. We eat out never at the resort we also cook in our DVC kitchen. We never do quick serve we have drinks and snacks bought at Walmart in our fridge

We were there for 15 nights in a one bedroom ocean view and it was a little over $400. But that tax is imposed by the state of Hawaii on every hotel stay on the islands.

Rooms booked with points are subject to the state and city TAT taxes, but the monetary value of points is significantly less than the monetary value of a cash stay.

For example, if a 1BR stay is $1000/night, the state would assess a ~10% TAT and the city would assess a 4.712% GET and a ~3% TAT. The total taxes would be about $180/night. Times that by 15 nights and your total tax bill on a cash stay would have been over $2,500. Just another reason to go buy more points 😂

Rooms booked with points are subject to the state and city TAT taxes, but the monetary value of points is significantly less than the monetary value of a cash stay.

For example, if a 1BR stay is $1000/night, the state would assess a ~10% TAT and the city would assess a 4.712% GET and a ~3% TAT. The total taxes would be about $180/night. Times that by 15 nights and your total tax bill on a cash stay would have been over $2,500. Just another reason to go buy more points 😂
Wow. Yes, must buy more points ASAP! :)

We loved Big Island (Hilton Waikoloa-has a monorail, dolphins, private snorkeling lagoon, excellent Kiki club) - Mauna Kea observatory, black sand beaches, volcano national park, rainforest/hiking, chocolate factory tour.

At the Waikiki beach (stayed at Hilton) there were homeless people sleeping on the grounds (felt slightly unsafe). Traffic was really bad and we were rushed getting to the airport.

I know this is going to be crazy but Hawaii is cheaper than Disney world and disneyland for our family. Accommodations aside, we spend far less on food as we stock the room and use the kitchen for breakfast and dinner. At Disney world we really only eat breakfast and the occasional pool day snack lunch. We find on beach vacations we head to the pool and beach in the morning and then around midday get sunned out and relax in our room with the ocean view and usually have lunch and then back to the pool and beach play more get tired head to the room have dinner and put the kids to bed and relax on the balcony and talk/play games and watch the sunset. Its a great way to relax with our 2 year old and 6 year old. they get down time to just veg inside ac while we make a quick meal and then take a break and relax. It works great for us. Our last beach vacay was one of the cheapest we have done in a while. I think it helps they are still too young for the luau and dining out is more work than its worth. You can go and have a blast and spend less than 1k for a week, its possible. We have a trip planned after Christmas and I'm excited as flights were reward tickets, points for the hotel. Not renting a car and having food delivered. Just a week of relaxing and fun while its snowing at home.

I know this is going to be crazy but Hawaii is cheaper than Disney world and disneyland for our family. Accommodations aside, we spend far less on food as we stock the room and use the kitchen for breakfast and dinner. At Disney world we really only eat breakfast and the occasional pool day snack lunch. We find on beach vacations we head to the pool and beach in the morning and then around midday get sunned out and relax in our room with the ocean view and usually have lunch and then back to the pool and beach play more get tired head to the room have dinner and put the kids to bed and relax on the balcony and talk/play games and watch the sunset. Its a great way to relax with our 2 year old and 6 year old. they get down time to just veg inside ac while we make a quick meal and then take a break and relax. It works great for us. Our last beach vacay was one of the cheapest we have done in a while. I think it helps they are still too young for the luau and dining out is more work than its worth. You can go and have a blast and spend less than 1k for a week, its possible. We have a trip planned after Christmas and I'm excited as flights were reward tickets, points for the hotel. Not renting a car and having food delivered. Just a week of relaxing and fun while its snowing at home.
For us, a weeklong Aulani vacation is a similar overall price to a weeklong WDW/DL vacation. Flight and rental cars are more expensive on Aulani vacations, but there are no theme park tickets or Genie+ to purchase. Our Aulani costs are less than the average Aulani vacationer's because we have no interest in the expensive Hawaiian excursions and don't dine that often at table service or signature restaurants while in Oahu.

Having just gotten back from Disney World, I can definitely see this. A rental car and activities around the island will almost definitely be less than park tickets (unless you do something like a heli tour). Aulani is in line with the other deluxe resort prices, and Disney World food has really gone up in the last year while I think in Hawaii it hasn't as much. The only big difference would be the flights, depending on where you live.

DH and I have Marriott VC. We had points that were going to expire at the end of the year so DH suggested that my sister and I go to WDW for a week in September or October. Although at the top of my bucket list is to see WDW decorated for Halloween, I wasn't feeling like going to WDW with my sister who would not want to go on any rides or be in crowds.

After discovering that there was availability at the MVC on the Big Island, I priced flights and rental cars for MCO/Orlando and Hawaii. Round trip flights were cheaper from DEN to the Big Island than MCO and the rental car was also cheaper. By going to Hawaii instead, we saved more money by not having to pay for park tickets.

While in Hawaii, we only did one excursion (snorkel tour that was amazing) and that was $150/person for 6.5 hours. It included breakfast and lunch. Other than that, we went sightseeing at Volcano NP and other sites that were either free or small entrance fee.

DH just reminded me that when we were trying to decide between Vegas and WDW for our Honeymoon, our travel agent suggested Hawaii because the package was cheaper. We did Oahu, Maui, and Kauai for 3 days each and it was cheaper than the WDW packages at the time (25 years ago).

I know this is going to be crazy but Hawaii is cheaper than Disney world and disneyland for our family.
Not crazy at all. In fact, this is probably true for most, especially at the rate Disney has been increasing prices in recent years.

We are regular visitors to Maui and WDW, and Maui is definitely less expensive, and the gap is growing.

Not crazy at all. In fact, this is probably true for most, especially at the rate Disney has been increasing prices in recent years.

We are regular visitors to Maui and WDW, and Maui is definitely less expensive, and the gap is growing.
Especially with theme park tickets increases and Genie+.

Because my enjoyment level is often impacted by expectations, I love reading posts like this. They set me up for a trip that exceeds my expectations.
I lived in Hawaii for 3 years when I was in the Military so have done most of the tourist stuff. I remember the weather being awesome all year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter