• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Units

Disdreaming479

Mouseketeer
Is it possible that ROFR is primarily a system for completing units that Disney is holding? Previous to the current period of a lack of rofr, dvc was very active , but also seemingly targeting a handful of resorts. Frequently the ppp and specifics of the pass/ rofr contracts was confusing and difficult to figure out while one is attempting to purchase.
Of course they also rofr to keep points on hand to sell and cover the 2% requirement.
I haven’t noticed any info here regarding anyone tracking units.
Does anyone know which units dvc is holding? Do we know how many points are in a unit?
I also think that a company the size of Disney would be planning 5-20 years ahead, although many here have disagreed.
If dvc is completing units with rofr over time to move to a trust product, this would take a long time if they didn’t originally hold complete units. Other timeshare companies have the advantage with lower resale values and programs to take back unwanted contracts/ points.
IMO dvc isn’t primarily concerned with resale value, as they are devaluing resale with every change in the program. The only caveat to this is prior to a new sale of points, such as BPK and now poly (maybe.)

Everything has been speculated upon at some point and yes, units may come into play. In general though the only ones who will ever know why they ROFR one contract and don't take another is DVC. When people are certain they've deciphered the pattern suddenly ROFR will pop up and not fit.

Monkey pins the list on the wall. Monkey throws a dart. That's the best way to look at it.

Negotiate the deal that is satisfactory to you and stop with that because you will not be able to guarantee anything passing beyond that they won't take everything. Or at least so far they've never taken everything. Guess even that depends on the number of darts the Monkey has.

I just can’t imagine any decision is random in a business.
It is more along the lines of the comment by Rm4OneMore. The "randomness" is not knowing where their needs or goals have shifted to. Years and years of watching ROFR and you'll see some trends at times but they start suddenly and end just as suddenly.

My questions are Assuming dvc moving to a trust product, this would take many years. This would mean that the goal would span over different leadership eras. Surely we all know that just because someone is hired, doesn’t mean they will stay long enough to cause a switch in plans as big as a trust product.

I could be completely wrong on this, but for some reason I am remembering DVC had to hold 2% of every unit, not just 2% of the whole resort.

My questions are Assuming dvc moving to a trust product, this would take many years. This would mean that the goal would span over different leadership eras. Surely we all know that just because someone is hired, doesn’t mean they will stay long enough to cause a switch in plans as big as a trust product.
Move every existing resort into a trust product? I don't see that as being a possibility or even close enough to consider working towards that goal.
Regarding changes along the way. That is completely possible to end up with a 100% change in direction. In a way that is what the trust product is and we'll see if that continues or not. There's nothing yet showing it won't be a one and done for the Cabins, not that I'm saying that is the thought, just that it could be. Another example is under one leadership the plan is to expand the system to create destinations around the country (maybe even other world wide parks as places such as Paris were on polls of interest). Then the next person cans the ideas and even sells the land purchased for the project. Then the next one come in and thinks its a great idea and starts polling and buys a parcel. And so on and so on. That's a big shift in the overall direction of DVC that has been seen a couple of times.

I just can’t imagine any decision is random in a business.
One other thing regarding randomness relating to ROFR specifically. Depending on the goal of the ROFR it's an actual decision. If attempting to drive up resale prices the more random the better. It's pretty common for buyers to bump up offers to a level they feel will eliminate the possibility of ROFR. IMO high resale prices are one of DVC's best sales points for direct for a couple of reasons and in a couple of scenarios. Nothing covers them all though.

Move every existing resort into a trust product? I don't see that as being a possibility or even close enough to consider working towards that goal.
Regarding changes along the way. That is completely possible to end up with a 100% change in direction. In a way that is what the trust product is and we'll see if that continues or not. There's nothing yet showing it won't be a one and done for the Cabins, not that I'm saying that is the thought, just that it could be. Another example is under one leadership the plan is to expand the system to create destinations around the country (maybe even other world wide parks as places such as Paris were on polls of interest). Then the next person cans the ideas and even sells the land purchased for the project. Then the next one come in and thinks its a great idea and starts polling and buys a parcel. And so on and so on. That's a big shift in the overall direction of DVC that has been seen a couple of times.
Every resort entering new sales after 2042 is my guess, and resorts they can accumulate whole units. The more resorts, the more attractive the product is to the buyer. I don’t think dvc would try it for outside of wdw. I’m not convinced the average dvc buyer is buying to exchange. However, the uninformed buyer might be.

I believe I read at one time that DVD usually retains 2% of every unit. They may own more with RoFR, etc. and yes, might look at contracts to take to have more points, above their 2%, in order to sell.

But, it is this idea as to why you would not see any current resorts moved into the trust model because they have to add real property snd csn only add property they own.

So, if this is a move for the future, and I believe it will be, it will be for brand new resorts that come on line because they they are not selling points attached to any one unit, but to the property as a whole which makes it a lot easier for them.

And, when someone sells, say a RTU contract for CFW, those points are not assigned to any specific cabin…they are just part of the total points to use them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter