Universal now requiring documentation be sent to a third party for accessibility

DAS is good for 60 days. I have found that going to one of the blue umbrellas in the park to renew is so much faster and easier than any other method. It usually takes them less than 2 minutes to set it back up. I wouldn't waste my time on the video chats.
But I like booking the 2 rides per day ahead of time.

For those who had a diagnosis/need BEFORE when free FastPasses were available - how did that work for you?
We only visited Disneyland once with my son before under the old FastPass system ended (and before they rolled out MaxPass). It didn't work well for him at all because there was no way to predict or line up the time you got with when he would actually be able to ride. They also mainly had Fastpasses for big ticket attractions, not the rides he was comfortable riding.

The current DAS system works well for him, although scheduling the advance DAS almost never works out for us (except sometimes first thing in the morning). Genie+, ILL, and virtual queues are also difficult because his ability to ride with a certain time window can be quite unpredictable.

I agree there have been some changes for the better, but DAS is not "exactly" like the old FastPass system. You could log on and have your selections scheduled in minutes (we always did early in the day) and then continue to add passes after those were used. With the online DAS pre-registration, depending on the CM, they will tell you what they have available, and unless you have dining or flight conflicts, it's been (with only one exception) pretty "take it or leave it". And I believe FP was 3 attractions, not 2. In any event, my point was that the OLD system (FastPass) would have worked as well or better for our situation as the new, much more cumbersome and stressful situation. Today was a rarity in our short wait - we've waitied many times over 8 hours to sign up for DAS in advance. We need the advance option since we are flying in from out of state, and cannot do the parks effectively without DAS. No DAS pre-trip, no trip for us.
This has been our experience and I agree. We also have waited over 8 hours to go through this process with me constantly checking electronics to see if anyone answered and hoping I didn't miss the CM. With the old FP+ system, it took minutes.
DAS is good for 60 days. I have found that going to one of the blue umbrellas in the park to renew is so much faster and easier than any other method. It usually takes them less than 2 minutes to set it back up. I wouldn't waste my time on the video chats.
Correct, but you can't get the advance selections. Plus we feel uneasy speaking with a CM at guest relations in earshot of others about medical issues. The CM is not a medical professional and it's hard to describe the issue without mentioning the medical condition. With the chat, you can do it in the privacy of your home.

Correct, but you can't get the advance selections. Plus we feel uneasy speaking with a CM at guest relations in earshot of others about medical issues. The CM is not a medical professional and it's hard to describe the issue without mentioning the medical condition. With the chat, you can do it in the privacy of your home.
If you tell the guest services cast member, the ones in the actually building, not the blue umbrellas, that you want to speak in a more private area. They will take you off to the side so that you will not be overheard. I have found the cast members to be very discreet.

Plus we feel uneasy speaking with a CM at guest relations in earshot of others about medical issues. The CM is not a medical professional and it's hard to describe the issue without mentioning the medical condition. With the chat, you can do it in the privacy of your home.
I hear you - I’ve always done in-person registration because the anxiety with that process is much less than the online/phone call but I still am hesitant to speak in front of others. I always have my spouse with me for support while registering and I tend to use him as a buffer as well as sometimes waiting until there is no one there (this usually works better at blue umbrellas).

I prefer what Disney has in place to what is being done at Universal. At Disney, I am having a conversation that doesn’t go beyond a couple of questions with no intrusive, possibly expensive hoops to jump through. Even that is problematic for me but providing private personal medical information (including a photo) to an online third party company that has nothing to do with the accommodation process other than telling a person at Universal that yes, I have a disability? That’s something I’m just not comfortable taking part in and that’s ok. I’m really happy to hear it’s been working well for others ☺️

I submitted my daughter's IEP as the document and got an email back saying that it was not accepted. I need to supply them with an IEP or doctor's note. I'm confused since I submitted her IEP. Anyone else get that e-mail?

I submitted my daughter's IEP as the document and got an email back saying that it was not accepted. I need to supply them with an IEP or doctor's note. I'm confused since I submitted her IEP. Anyone else get that e-mail?

We submitted the first page of my son's IEP and it was accepted. Is that what you submitted? The first page should have the criteria for special education eligibility listed on it with a 3 letter code (for example: Autism(AUT)), and this is what the company is looking for. IEPs are supposed to be somewhat standardized across states, but you may have a non typical IEP format.

I submitted the first page of my son's IEP but I have not heard anything back yet. So don't know if it was accepted yet. But like DLgal I submitted the first page that clearly indicated it was an IEP document, had my son's name on it, and identified his qualifying disabilities (mine did not include 3 letter codes).

A little history and bits and pieces.

IBCCES:
I heard about it quite along time ago, maybe 20 years. There was not a lot of information about them and how they started, but at least in the beginning, they were associated with Autism Speaks and ABA. They did education, mostly autism related and also offered certification.

They also offer Autism Certification for Amusement & Theme Parks, as well as other places like museums. The majority are in the US, with a handful in other places, like Dubai, Saudi Arabia, Hong Kong. As far as I know, they developed the Autism Certification business and are the only ones offering it (part of certification involves doing training and certification with IBCCES).
Sesame Place was the first park Autism Certified park in 2018.

IBCCES Accessibility Card:
As far as I can tell, this was probably started in connection with their certification program. Because the organization’s focus is Autism and Developmental Disabilities, their Accessibility Access Card seems to also be more focused on that. I don’t know when they started applying their process to other disabilities or what the organization’s understanding of other disabilities. Their website says:
“The IAC is for anyone who is requesting accommodations – including but not limited to individuals who are autistic, use a wheelchair, are blind/low vision, deaf/hard of hearing, have mobility support needs, are accompanied by a service animal, have sensory sensitivities, cognitive disabilities, or have other needs and concerns.”
The bolded items are specifically ones that should not require proof for accommodation per the ADA; for example, people with Service Dogs can be asked 3 questions about their dog and the services it provides.
The IBCCES Card (as far as I understand) would not be subject to the ADA, since they don’t provide accommodation; they are basically just a clearinghouse that says, “yes, this person submitted the information we asked for”.
I have read comments on different places where people wrote they submitted things like IEPs (even old ones), proof of being on SSI, handicapped parking permits and letters from their doctor that said only “this person has a disability”. The things I’ve read, it doesn’t seem like a very robust system to prevent abuse - many of those things tell very little about a person’s needs in a theme park.

HIPAA
Since the IBCCES is collecting some protected health information, they would be required to safeguard it (even though HIPAA is generally about Healthcare Workers/Facilities and Insurance). It’s actually not that difficult to safeguard that information once they have it, as long as it’s all in a digital form. Access is monitored.
Hospitals and clinics have medical record profiles assigned to each job type that only gives them access to the information needed to do their job. For example, admitting would have access to very few parts of the chart, unit secretaries would need more, Nursing would have access to much of the record, but time limited after the patient leaves. Infection Preventionist (my role) would have access to almost all of the record, except parts protected by specific laws (Mental Health, Drug Abuse & Addiction). Getting Access to other parts involve “breaking the glass”, which means an additional sign in with password and reason access is needed, along with knowledge that someone would be reviewing it. (Needing the “break the glass” always freaked me out, even though I needed to access it).

Access Passes at parks
The IBCCES process is only part of the process. The individual parks still do their own screening process, which still seems to be a variation of the same questions Universal and Disney ask - I.e. “what are your concerns with waiting in the regular lines”.
I think the park could get away with any ADA concerns about requiring proof by offering a minimal level of access without proof. They would be hearing from me regarding an ADA complaint if they said my daughter’s wheelchair could not be used in lines without proof.

Does the page of your DD's IEP include a diagnosis related to the accommodations she needs? I believe whatever page of an IEP they accept needs to reflect that information. Maybe look through to see if there is a different page of the IEP that might work. Otherwise you may need a doctor's note.

IEP forms vary by state, but the cover page of my DD's doesn't include any of that. I was looking at it and I don't think there is any 1 single page that might work but I haven't tried.

Does the page of your DD's IEP include a diagnosis related to the accommodations she needs? I believe whatever page of an IEP they accept needs to reflect that information. Maybe look through to see if there is a different page of the IEP that might work. Otherwise you may need a doctor's note.

IEP forms vary by state, but the cover page of my DD's doesn't include any of that. I was looking at it and I don't think there is any 1 single page that might work but I haven't tried.

That's odd. The IEP doesn't have a demographics page? That's what the first page of ours have always been. It's all basic information. It also includes initial special education entry date and things like DOB, address, school attending, etc. Right towards the bottom, it says "Indicate Disabilities: Primary/Secondary. Under those designations is a summary of the disabilities and how they adversely affect the child in the school environment and a justification for approving spec ed services. I would bet there is a page somewhere with that info. That's what they need.

They would be hearing from me regarding an ADA complaint if they said my daughter’s wheelchair could not be used in lines without proof.
Universal Orlando states the IBCCES card is required for "Guests requesting an attraction queue accommodation" or more specifically the AAP, but further mentions that all attraction queues are accessible to wheelchairs (not ECVs). So I assume UO is not requiring the Accessibility Card for basic wheelchair access. It's the IBCCES website that mentions the card for wheelchair accommodations -- but I interpret that to be a general listing depending on the business at which the card may be used. For example I don't think Six Flags has accessible queues and the alternate entrance is the same as their GOFAST pass entrance. Admittedly, I haven't been to a Six Flags in a long time so that's 3rd-hand info not direct experience.

The IEP doesn't have a demographics page? ... It also includes initial special education entry date and things like DOB, address, school attending, etc. Right towards the bottom, it says "Indicate Disabilities: Primary/Secondary. Under those designations is a summary of the disabilities and how they adversely affect the child in the school environment and a justification for approving spec ed services.
Nope, no 1 single page with all that info. Most (not all) appears at some point, on various pages. I dug back through and found her old IEP from preschool in another state, and that is different as well -- different from her current IEP and different from what you describe.

Universal Orlando states the IBCCES card is required for "Guests requesting an attraction queue accommodation" or more specifically the AAP, but further mentions that all attraction queues are accessible to wheelchairs (not ECVs). So I assume UO is not requiring the Accessibility Card for basic wheelchair access. It's the IBCCES website that mentions the card for wheelchair accommodations -- but I interpret that to be a general listing depending on the business at which the card may be used. For example I don't think Six Flags has accessible queues and the alternate entrance is the same as their GOFAST pass entrance. Admittedly, I haven't been to a Six Flags in a long time so that's 3rd-hand info not direct experience.
That’s what Universal’s website says, but if guests have more needs than a wheelchair, it sounds like IBCCES would still be requiring proof for wheelchair access, service dog, etc. for approval, even if the individual park is not.

My daughter has multiple needs besides mobility and has a primary physician, as well as 3 specialties who all know her very well. If I needed, any of them would be willing to vouch for her disabilities and needs.
From what I’m reading in other places, it seems like IBCCES is not particularly consistent. Some people are reporting getting approved for it with very little (and no detail) and others are having a more difficult time.

IBCCES Accessibility Card:
As far as I can tell, this was probably started in connection with their certification program. Because the organization’s focus is Autism and Developmental Disabilities, their Accessibility Access Card seems to also be more focused on that. I don’t know when they started applying their process to other disabilities or what the organization’s understanding of other disabilities. Their website says:
“The IAC is for anyone who is requesting accommodations – including but not limited to individuals who are autistic, use a wheelchair, are blind/low vision, deaf/hard of hearing, have mobility support needs, are accompanied by a service animal, have sensory sensitivities, cognitive disabilities, or have other needs and concerns.”
The bolded items are specifically ones that should not require proof for accommodation per the ADA; for example, people with Service Dogs can be asked 3 questions about their dog and the services it provides.
The IBCCES Card (as far as I understand) would not be subject to the ADA, since they don’t provide accommodation; they are basically just a clearinghouse that says, “yes, this person submitted the information we asked for”.
I have read comments on different places where people wrote they submitted things like IEPs (even old ones), proof of being on SSI, handicapped parking permits and letters from their doctor that said only “this person has a disability”. The things I’ve read, it doesn’t seem like a very robust system to prevent abuse - many of those things tell very little about a person’s needs in a theme park.
Thank you for this post - it was very helpful! I wish I was braver when it comes to my disability but it’s been such a difficult journey with a lot of very negative reactions/judgements/etc that I just can’t cope with having that info out there even if it is safe. But that’s ok - I’ll stick with grabbing a butterbeer and just enjoying the ambiance 😊

The part about accepted documents is a bit confusing and it does seem like it could open the door to abuse. I ran into a woman in a restaurant once who announced to her table mates (I was not one of them - just stuck at the next table over) that she “just says X (her son) is Autistic so they’ll give me a DAS” which began a rousing discussion among the rest of her group as to the many, many ways they attempt to cheat Disney/UO 🫣 I’m not sure how you stop abuse like that but it doesn’t seem like this card will do it. I can certainly see a person like that woman bullying a doctor into a letter/form and submitting false information to get a card but hopefully it will stem the flow of abuse a little - I just wish it didn’t come at the expense of disabled people.

she “just says X (her son) is Autistic so they’ll give me a DAS” which began a rousing discussion among the rest of her group as to the many, many ways they attempt to cheat Disney/UO
It's probably excessive to shoot that person, so I just wish there were a way to have scum like that on a perma-ban no-pass-for-you list that is shared amongst all the theme parks.

Ooh, and then once they have identified the scum liar/cheaters, they could flag their accounts so they are denied any compensation for supposed issues (since they're known liars), and seated last at restaurants.

Thank you for this post - it was very helpful! I wish I was braver when it comes to my disability but it’s been such a difficult journey with a lot of very negative reactions/judgements/etc that I just can’t cope with having that info out there even if it is safe. But that’s ok - I’ll stick with grabbing a butterbeer and just enjoying the ambiance 😊

The part about accepted documents is a bit confusing and it does seem like it could open the door to abuse. I ran into a woman in a restaurant once who announced to her table mates (I was not one of them - just stuck at the next table over) that she “just says X (her son) is Autistic so they’ll give me a DAS” which began a rousing discussion among the rest of her group as to the many, many ways they attempt to cheat Disney/UO 🫣 I’m not sure how you stop abuse like that but it doesn’t seem like this card will do it. I can certainly see a person like that woman bullying a doctor into a letter/form and submitting false information to get a card but hopefully it will stem the flow of abuse a little - I just wish it didn’t come at the expense of disabled people.

Some people are awful.

I hope one day you can become comfortable enough with your disability to be able to get the accommodations that you deserve, so that you can have full, rich experiences at your favorite places.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter