Universal now requiring documentation be sent to a third party for accessibility

Question when I go to pick up the APP does the other person going have to go in too? I would prefer she not but if she needs to that is fine too. Just wanted her to not have to wait in line and maybe get us some food

She will need to be there to have her ticket scanned onto your APP card. Everyone joining you has their ticket added to your APP pass along with your ticket too.

She will need to be there to have her ticket scanned onto your APP card. Everyone joining you has their ticket added to your APP pass along with your ticket too.

Ok I was hoping I could take her ticket with me and let her get food. Thank you for your answer -I am glad I asked.

So, I have gone to Universal almost every year and always had the DAS. We are going next week to enjoy the parks, but also HHN.

Because of my disability, like many others, I have an overactive bladder and incontinence, but have been wearing heavy duty pads since my early 30s. I also have mobility issues and travel with my Travelscoot and a cane. My biggest issue is that I am extremely heat intolerant. If it is over 80 degrees, I can get overheated and my body starts to shut down. I wear ice packs, electric fans, etc, but they only do so much.

I have never used my bladder problems for the DAS, but that is because I consider it the least of my worries (I don’t knock anyone else for needing it for this reason, I feel your pain, or at least your constant ‘bladder call’).

I don’t use it for mobility, as I transfer to a wheelchair where needed.

However, the heat issue is debilitating. If I get overheated I will be bed-ridden for days.

I already do everything on my end to take care of my medical needs, but CAN NOT get through Universal without the DAS.

My concern is that, even though I am an extreme planner, I had no idea that Universal had changed their policy until I happened across this thread last week. I feel silly for not knowing, but I have been going through some extra health issues this summer, and my priorities have been elsewhere.

I immediately reached out to my neurologist for a note, which she kindly emailed to me the following day. From there I filled out the application and have my temporary card.

I am genuinely concerned that I will not be approved in time for my trip.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

So, I have gone to Universal almost every year and always had the DAS. We are going next week to enjoy the parks, but also HHN.

Because of my disability, like many others, I have an overactive bladder and incontinence, but have been wearing heavy duty pads since my early 30s. I also have mobility issues and travel with my Travelscoot and a cane. My biggest issue is that I am extremely heat intolerant. If it is over 80 degrees, I can get overheated and my body starts to shut down. I wear ice packs, electric fans, etc, but they only do so much.

I have never used my bladder problems for the DAS, but that is because I consider it the least of my worries (I don’t knock anyone else for needing it for this reason, I feel your pain, or at least your constant ‘bladder call’).

I don’t use it for mobility, as I transfer to a wheelchair where needed.

However, the heat issue is debilitating. If I get overheated I will be bed-ridden for days.

I already do everything on my end to take care of my medical needs, but CAN NOT get through Universal without the DAS.

My concern is that, even though I am an extreme planner, I had no idea that Universal had changed their policy until I happened across this thread last week. I feel silly for not knowing, but I have been going through some extra health issues this summer, and my priorities have been elsewhere.

I immediately reached out to my neurologist for a note, which she kindly emailed to me the following day. From there I filled out the application and have my temporary card.

I am genuinely concerned that I will not be approved in time for my trip.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Ok, so after finishing my post (through a mild panic attack), I decided to contact Universal directly, used accessibility option, and after waiting 30 minutes, spoke with a guest services rep.

We spoke for about 5 minutes and she quickly approved me for the accommodations I needed and gave me my case number.

If anyone else ends up in a similar situation as I did, I hope this helps.

Question when I go to pick up the APP does the other person going have to go in too? I would prefer she not but if she needs to that is fine too. Just wanted her to not have to wait in line and maybe get us some food

I can't speak to the new system because I have not been there since it started, but under the old system, the AAP holder in our group was able to take our tickets and go to GS without us being there and they had no problem attaching our tickets to it.

I can't speak to the new system because I have not been there since it started, but under the old system, the AAP holder in our group was able to take our tickets and go to GS without us being there and they had no problem attaching our tickets to it.

Thank you. I emailed guest services yesterday and they replied that I can do this. They also told me I have my accommodations for life as long as I renew IBCCES annually. Not sure exactly what that means but I guess I will find out next year. Only worried about our trip in a couple of days at this point. I appreciate your answer.

I've heard about two separate places being set up to get return times, but I haven't seen any photos of them/solid info about them or anything, so I think the most reliable possibility right now is still going to house lines for the return times. They don't have anything like the blue umbrellas at Disney, and my guess is anything set up for return times might come and go depending on crowds and where they need TMs, so even if it is happening throughout the event, it might not be there certain nights.
I asked about this at GS when my family needed to add people to the existing pass last weekend.

they are very clear on this, do not confuse it with Disney’s system.

not only is it not possible to obtain return times anywhere other than at the actual location of the attraction (including HHN)…

they do not have the ability to do any sort of online return times, via their app or otherwise; nor do they intend to go that route in the foreseeable future

you are permitted to send “a runner” to whatever attraction, without the actual person being there. However, they will need to be in the actual party that returns. They do ask if the person is there when you do return
They also told me I have my accommodations for life as long as I renew IBCCES annually. Not sure exactly what that means but I guess I will find out next year
As long as Universal both:

*continues to participate in the IBCCES program

* & you re-certify your “status” with IBCCES annually, you would only need to present yourself at GS going forward each trip to obtain a new DAS paper card in the parks.

Question for the documentation....I will be going to Universal with my 22 year old son, who has autism. He just completed his certificate in June, so is no longer in school. If I submit his last IEP, will this be acceptable? As for contact information, I am assuming putting his teacher's information is the only solution, as the county representative will not even know him to answer the questions. Any advice would be appreciated.

As a backup, I am trying to have his prescribing doctor write a note, but that is proving more difficult to get.

Question for the documentation....I will be going to Universal with my 22 year old son, who has autism. He just completed his certificate in June, so is no longer in school. If I submit his last IEP, will this be acceptable? As for contact information, I am assuming putting his teacher's information is the only solution, as the county representative will not even know him to answer the questions. Any advice would be appreciated.

As a backup, I am trying to have his prescribing doctor write a note, but that is proving more difficult to get.
From everything I've seen on social media posts, IBCCES appears to be pretty lenient with what they accept and also appear to be pretty inconsistent.
Some people have been approved with a doctor letter that said only, 'my patient has a disability', with nothing about what issues the person has that might make waiting in line an issue. One person sent a copy of a letter for work that allowed her to keep food at her desk.
One person who has graduated from college was approved by sending an accommodation she was approved for when she started college that allowed her to have extra time for tests.
If you want to apply, it sounds like they would probably accept his last IEP - they seem most concerned that it's a page with his diagnosis, even if you don't submit the whole IEP.
Even though they ask for contact information, I have not seen anything that makes me believe IBCCES actually contacts anyone.

Finally called this afternoon. We have never needed an AAP before and I was nervous about it, so I procrastinated, hoping they would call us like they said they would. However, we're arriving tomorrow so couldn't wait any longer.
I was on hold for 1 hour 20 minutes.

We were approved immediately, she asked no questions. I am so relieved!

Just FYI every minute or 2 it says your estimated wait (over 90 minutes, less than 90 minutes, less than an hour, etc) it went all over the place. It was over 90 for a while, then finally went under 90 and i was excited, then it went back up, then back and forth. Then it finally went to under an hour and I was really excited, but then it went back to under 90, then over 90. LOL. When it finally said under an hour again (30 minutes after the first time it said that) the call was answered 2 minutes later. So don't leave your phone to go do something, thinking you have time, you may not!

I’ll probably wish I’d read the next 40+ pages before commenting… but here goes—

The lawsuits were litigated as DAS vs GAC. FP and FP+ were free components that could be used to compliment it. This is a whole new ballgame.

NOW we have Genie+ which in essence puts a monetary value on the DAS return times. If there were to be a lawsuit it would be from typical guests suing because they have to pay for Genie+ but DAS users are getting return times for FREE. And DAS users can repeat rides but Genie+ can not, another advantage.

When FP & FP+ were free the argument against proof was that DAS users were not getting anything above and beyond materially. And it was true. We used the FP+ system 90% of the time, only getting a DAS time for a handful of attractions. Both free. Once you put a price tag on the Genie+ you have now moved the DAS return times into an item with monetary value that you are giving free to a group of people, but charging the rest. Plus you are offering two in advance for free. In that situation parks gain the ability to ask for proof.
Except DAS is not really the same as LL or FP. With those you are offered the next available time. At DL two weeks ago, there were instances where the next available LL was in 5 mins. Sometimes it was hours away.

DAS is solely based on the current standby time. It is designed that way because the whole point is that you are still “waiting in line” you are just waiting elsewhere. That’s why you can repeat them. Because G+ is giving you a shortcut pass at a specified time. But DAS is the same as standing in the standby line… you haven’t shortcut anything. You are just “standing (or sitting) by” the standby line. Most of the time, the wait is longer than the standby time, especially if you need an ADA ride vehicle.

I miss waiting in the standby queues at DL. Many of the new LL are nicely themed, but for example at HM, I missed showing all of the cool cemetery theming to dgd and ddl. And Imagineering are about to expand and refresh all that theming to be even more immersive. But I’ll never see it, unless they also redo the queue to be ADA compliant. Which is unlikely, given that they use every inch of that super tight queue, and then some.

Indy is another queue I would love to see again, but I cannot stand that long and even if I get there early, there are elevation changes throughout that are trip hazards due to drop foot.

Jungle cruise has stairs that I can’t climb easily. I tried in 2015, and I missed a step and fell, scraping my leg, and hurting my wrist.

I miss out trying to look for hidden Mickeys in the queues too. Which means my whole party misses out. There’s no way for the rest of my party to go thru the line and have me join them at the LL merge point either, so that they could see the theming without me. So many lines are not accessible to scooters and wheelchairs. I have other issues that qualify me for DAS but I use a scooter to not slow everyone else down, and give me the stamina to do more than one day in the parks. But if my disability was manageable with only the scooter, I’d have the added disadvantage of having to go to a GS kiosk or to the ride itself to get every one of my return times, instead of being able to do it in the app. Which takes more time and effort that non-disabled guests don’t have to deal with.

So I find it to be a gross misrepresentation to categorize DAS as the equivalent of Genie+.

It seems like there’s always been this sense that DAS is some special super pass that gives us a giant advantage. I just don’t see it that way. Two weeks ago was the least crowded I’ve seen Disneyland in probably 20 years. And still in 5 days, using DAS & G+ we got less done than we ever did back in the Happy Hearts days of going for 1-2 days max. with 4 kids under 8-10 y.o. in tow & before we knew anything like the GAC existed.

Even with DAS, we still purchase Genie+, to optimize our day. One does not take the place of the other. Sure, some people are able to manage using just G+. And many people feel like G+ is unneeded with their DAS… but that was the same before when FP was a free program and accommodations were given via GAC.

I don’t care if Universal changes to the new system, I’m not sure we’ll ever go back to USO (although the roller coasters were awesome!) and I know I won’t be going to USH. I would like to go back to Magic Mountain someday, because that’s where DH and I met… but since I’m the extreme coaster lover & DH had disc replacements in his neck which make wild roller coasters an unwise ride choice, I kinda doubt we’ll ever go back there either.

But I sincerely hope that Disney stays with their current DAS procedures. I do not feel like it’s too easy to get. One of my sons has a 50% success rate with it being granted due to autism. First time was in person pre-pandemic. The CM told him that since he was able to ask for it, his autism wasn’t severe enough to qualify, he never even got to explain exactly why he was asking. The next time (after the pandemic), the CM was impressed that he was aware of and could voice his needs. Both times he had to write out ahead of time what his explanation would be re: his limitations in order to be able to clearly communicate them. But he had very different results. Autism is not some magic word that gets you DAS. Neither is any other condition.

I’ll probably wish I’d read the next 40+ pages before commenting… but here goes—

Except DAS is not really the same as LL or FP. With those you are offered the next available time. At DL two weeks ago, there were instances where the next available LL was in 5 mins. Sometimes it was hours away.

DAS is solely based on the current standby time. It is designed that way because the whole point is that you are still “waiting in line” you are just waiting elsewhere. That’s why you can repeat them. Because G+ is giving you a shortcut pass at a specified time. But DAS is the same as standing in the standby line… you haven’t shortcut anything. You are just “standing (or sitting) by” the standby line. Most of the time, the wait is longer than the standby time, especially if you need an ADA ride vehicle.

I miss waiting in the standby queues at DL. Many of the new LL are nicely themed, but for example at HM, I missed showing all of the cool cemetery theming to dgd and ddl. And Imagineering are about to expand and refresh all that theming to be even more immersive. But I’ll never see it, unless they also redo the queue to be ADA compliant. Which is unlikely, given that they use every inch of that super tight queue, and then some.

Indy is another queue I would love to see again, but I cannot stand that long and even if I get there early, there are elevation changes throughout that are trip hazards due to drop foot.

Jungle cruise has stairs that I can’t climb easily. I tried in 2015, and I missed a step and fell, scraping my leg, and hurting my wrist.

I miss out trying to look for hidden Mickeys in the queues too. Which means my whole party misses out. There’s no way for the rest of my party to go thru the line and have me join them at the LL merge point either, so that they could see the theming without me. So many lines are not accessible to scooters and wheelchairs. I have other issues that qualify me for DAS but I use a scooter to not slow everyone else down, and give me the stamina to do more than one day in the parks. But if my disability was manageable with only the scooter, I’d have the added disadvantage of having to go to a GS kiosk or to the ride itself to get every one of my return times, instead of being able to do it in the app. Which takes more time and effort that non-disabled guests don’t have to deal with.

So I find it to be a gross misrepresentation to categorize DAS as the equivalent of Genie+.

It seems like there’s always been this sense that DAS is some special super pass that gives us a giant advantage. I just don’t see it that way. Two weeks ago was the least crowded I’ve seen Disneyland in probably 20 years. And still in 5 days, using DAS & G+ we got less done than we ever did back in the Happy Hearts days of going for 1-2 days max. with 4 kids under 8-10 y.o. in tow & before we knew anything like the GAC existed.

Even with DAS, we still purchase Genie+, to optimize our day. One does not take the place of the other. Sure, some people are able to manage using just G+. And many people feel like G+ is unneeded with their DAS… but that was the same before when FP was a free program and accommodations were given via GAC.

I don’t care if Universal changes to the new system, I’m not sure we’ll ever go back to USO (although the roller coasters were awesome!) and I know I won’t be going to USH. I would like to go back to Magic Mountain someday, because that’s where DH and I met… but since I’m the extreme coaster lover & DH had disc replacements in his neck which make wild roller coasters an unwise ride choice, I kinda doubt we’ll ever go back there either.

But I sincerely hope that Disney stays with their current DAS procedures. I do not feel like it’s too easy to get. One of my sons has a 50% success rate with it being granted due to autism. First time was in person pre-pandemic. The CM told him that since he was able to ask for it, his autism wasn’t severe enough to qualify, he never even got to explain exactly why he was asking. The next time (after the pandemic), the CM was impressed that he was aware of and could voice his needs. Both times he had to write out ahead of time what his explanation would be re: his limitations in order to be able to clearly communicate them. But he had very different results. Autism is not some magic word that gets you DAS. Neither is any other condition.
I disagree with most your DAS arguments and will leave it at that, no interest in point by point discussion.

Given this thread is about Universal and you have no interest in going to Universal there isn't much to discuss I guess. The new system has been traumatic for many, and they are allowed to feel that way AND worry Disney will change their process which is likely approaching overuse again, sadly.

. So when I hear of people (like a family that I overheard on a Disney tram where the wife told the husband that they wouldn’t have to wait in line because she was going to say the son had ADD) gaming the system (which has to be way more widespread than it ever was because of the cost of Genie+/lightning lane selections) it really makes me mad.

Unless I had heard them specifically talking about lying about him having ADD, I think I’d be inclined to assume she was stating a fact to her husband about what she was planning to do to mitigate the challenge of their son’s actual needs.

On the other hand, if I heard her clearly stating her plan to lie, I legit would’ve turned to her and said something like, “Well, I hope the lines aren’t full of other people doing the same thing, or the waits aren’t going to be shorter for anyone. If everyone does that, what do you think will happen for all the families who can’t bring their child here without accommodations. I, for one, never screw with karma. Just something to think about.” :teeth:

I would never say anything to anyone though, nor would I waste time worrying about whether they deserved DAS, unless I specifically heard them stating that they lied to get it. Not even worth my time to judge other’s visible, partially noticeable, or invisible disabilities.

Most of the time, I probably look like a fat old middle-aged lady who wouldn’t need a scooter if I got off my big ol’ patootie and got into shape. But, I don’t care what anyone else thinks. I’m at my happy place— that alone can mitigate quite a lot of my pain and keep a smile on my face… to a point.

I don't think they will go so far as an escort. But I think creating a physical "bathroom pass" system could be really helpful.

I mean, I doubt most people with these issues are in and out of the bathroom quickly and you don't want employees standing around waiting on them. That would be really embarrassing for me, because I'm often in there for HOURS.
I don’t usually have the super-long bathroom issues. Although if I’ve held it too long my bladder goes both into painful spasms, as well as my sphincter saying “nope, you said hold it, and I’m not letting go no matter how bad it hurts” which then requires me to self cath, which ultimately does take longer. Plus, I’m the single lady going into the companion bathroom if it’s available because it’s easier to lay out my supplies without as much risk of contamination.

As for getting out of the line, so far what has worked for us (dh & me, occasionally with DS+2) in most lines, is for me to get as close as possible to a cm position, pull my scooter into a corner like at a switchback, and ask to be let out. Then I take my canes and bag of supplies, and hobble to the bathroom, while dh sits with the scooter and lets people pass us.

When I come back I try to get that same CM’s attention and ask to be let back in. Most of the time they “sneak” me in thru gates or chains and get me back to where dh is waiting. There’s slightly less line disruption that looks like line jumping, when it’s the cm letting you thru. Plus, it helps that I am pretty distinctive: a woman of size with pink hair, hobbling on canes, decked out in Disney garb, & typically wearing mouse ears. I’m hard to miss. 😂

So when I come back thru, everyone who was already in line when I left probably noticed me leaving, and if anyone says anything about me “cutting the line” someone always speaks up. But honestly, I can count on one hand the number of times that anyone has said anything really rude—at least loudly enough for me to hear it… I’m sure there’s muttering but oh well.

“As close as possible to a cm position” can sometimes still ba a quite a ways away, & I have cut thru lanes opening chains or gates to get out faster. My experience has been that most of the time people will help with undoing the chains so I can get to the cm faster if I say,” I’m having a bathroom emergency— I need to get out now!” No one wants to see an adult have a full out bathroom accident, so it’s like the parting of the seas… 😱 When I’m at that point I don’t care about embarrassment from my declaration because the potential for a really humiliating situation is there. When I return, I tend to kinda joke about it with anyone who was particularly helpful in helping me get out — “whew!! I made it. Thanks, I really appreciate your help. That could’ve been embarrassing!” It’s always better to get people to laugh with you.

Side note— on our last trip to DL, my 6 yo dgd, suddenly had to go as my DS was trying to get the 2 of them to the Avengers campus to see Dr Strange do his show. DS asked a cm where the bathrooms were and instead of sending him toward Spider-Man to the restrooms that were much closer & ironically right by Dr Strange, the CM told him the closest were in Carsland by Flo’s… well, as they are hurrying over there dgd is saying over and over, “I gotta go now, daddy…. Where’s the bathroom, I reaaallly have to go….” Walking with her knees together trying to get there fast, with tears actually starting to well up. :guilty: They finally make it over there & the family restrooms have lines waiting, so DS quick walks her into the first stall in the mens room and the whole time she’s going she’s saying “aahhh”. When they came out, she turns to DS and says, “That was stressful!

I think I’m gonna steal her line when I come back next time. :laughing:

I don’t usually have the super-long bathroom issues. Although if I’ve held it too long my bladder goes both into painful spasms, as well as my sphincter saying “nope, you said hold it, and I’m not letting go no matter how bad it hurts” which then requires me to self cath, which ultimately does take longer. Plus, I’m the single lady going into the companion bathroom if it’s available because it’s easier to lay out my supplies without as much risk of contamination.

As for getting out of the line, so far what has worked for us (dh & me, occasionally with DS+2) in most lines, is for me to get as close as possible to a cm position, pull my scooter into a corner like at a switchback, and ask to be let out. Then I take my canes and bag of supplies, and hobble to the bathroom, while dh sits with the scooter and lets people pass us.

When I come back I try to get that same CM’s attention and ask to be let back in. Most of the time they “sneak” me in thru gates or chains and get me back to where dh is waiting. There’s slightly less line disruption that looks like line jumping, when it’s the cm letting you thru. Plus, it helps that I am pretty distinctive: a woman of size with pink hair, hobbling on canes, decked out in Disney garb, & typically wearing mouse ears. I’m hard to miss. 😂

So when I come back thru, everyone who was already in line when I left probably noticed me leaving, and if anyone says anything about me “cutting the line” someone always speaks up. But honestly, I can count on one hand the number of times that anyone has said anything really rude—at least loudly enough for me to hear it… I’m sure there’s muttering but oh well.

“As close as possible to a cm position” can sometimes still ba a quite a ways away, & I have cut thru lanes opening chains or gates to get out faster. My experience has been that most of the time people will help with undoing the chains so I can get to the cm faster if I say,” I’m having a bathroom emergency— I need to get out now!” No one wants to see an adult have a full out bathroom accident, so it’s like the parting of the seas… 😱 When I’m at that point I don’t care about embarrassment from my declaration because the potential for a really humiliating situation is there. When I return, I tend to kinda joke about it with anyone who was particularly helpful in helping me get out — “whew!! I made it. Thanks, I really appreciate your help. That could’ve been embarrassing!” It’s always better to get people to laugh with you.

Side note— on our last trip to DL, my 6 yo dgd, suddenly had to go as my DS was trying to get the 2 of them to the Avengers campus to see Dr Strange do his show. DS asked a cm where the bathrooms were and instead of sending him toward Spider-Man to the restrooms that were much closer & ironically right by Dr Strange, the CM told him the closest were in Carsland by Flo’s… well, as they are hurrying over there dgd is saying over and over, “I gotta go now, daddy…. Where’s the bathroom, I reaaallly have to go….” Walking with her knees together trying to get there fast, with tears actually starting to well up. :guilty: They finally make it over there & the family restrooms have lines waiting, so DS quick walks her into the first stall in the mens room and the whole time she’s going she’s saying “aahhh”. When they came out, she turns to DS and says, “That was stressful!

I think I’m gonna steal her line when I come back next time. :laughing:
those "family" bathrooms are handicapped and I have the story which has been told here many times where family was unhappy with how long it was taking me. long story short child did not make it and they expected me to pay for new clothes for her which I did not do. so they made a great decision for her even if it did not seem like it at the time

those "family" bathrooms are handicapped and I have the story which has been told here many times where family was unhappy with how long it was taking me. long story short child did not make it and they expected me to pay for new clothes for her which I did not do. so they made a great decision for her even if it did not seem like it at the time
They are not exclusively for handicapped guests. While I agree 100% that no one should be rushing anyone else out for any reason, just like the handicapped stalls, they are open to everyone.

They are not exclusively for handicapped guests. While I agree 100% that no one should be rushing anyone else out for any reason, just like the handicapped stalls, they are open to everyone.
correct but they would not be where I would head with a child or anyone in a hurry to use a bathroom as if a line they usually take longer for person ahead to be done. and yes the family really wanted me to buy new clothes for their child because I took so long. said sorry as I walked past

they would not be where I would head with a child
I think the disconnect comes because there are websites and FB groups who refer to them as “family restrooms” rather than what we know — “companion” restrooms. I think even the Mom’s Panel (or whatever the new name is) will tell people about the Companion Restrooms when asked if WDW has “family” restrooms.

No excuse for trying to rush someone or expecting compensation. But I do see why so many families head to these restrooms.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter