Universal now requiring documentation be sent to a third party for accessibility

But if absolutely intentional, that is definitely wrong, but I do think we are going to see more of it with the policy as it is.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Disney has made any changes to its DAS policy recently. One vlogger stating it does not make it true. And this thread is about Universal, which, due to its new third party process has appeared to crack down on DAS.

But, I don't believe Disney World has made any recent changes to DAS.

I would *hope* that people who are prone to accidents (especially if it is enough of a possibility that one would have requested accommodations for it) would choose to wear an adult diaper rather than choosing to go in the ground in the line in lieu of making the attempt to exit.
This! Those exist for a reason, there is no shame in needing one.

So, I did the whole IBCCES process, received an email requesting time for an interview and I responded to that. I expected to get a call closer to my trip, but instead I received an email.

At Universal Orlando Resort, we take great pride in our commitment to inclusivity and creating accessible experiences for all of our Guests. We also recognize the importance of the queue experience when telling the story of each attraction, so to ensure that all Guests can fully participate, we offer an Attractions Assistance Pass (AAP), which we have specifically designed for Guests with disabilities that may hinder their ability to wait in a conventional attraction queue setting. With this in mind, I've reviewed your request for assistance during your upcoming visit and have made arrangements for you to receive an AAP.

In order to pick up your AAP, please visit Guest Services at either Universal Studios Florida or Universal Islands of Adventure and present your valid photo ID, IBCCES Accessibility Card (IAC), and Case Number XXXXXXX. The Team Member who issues your AAP will be available to address any inquiries you may have about your pass. Once you have obtained your AAP, simply present it to a Team Member at the entrance of each attraction you wish to enjoy.

If you have any questions about picking up your Attractions Assistance Pass (AAP) or visiting Universal Orlando Resort, please reply to this email. Otherwise, we look forward to entertaining you soon!

Are they no longer doing the phone interview?

So, I did the whole IBCCES process, received an email requesting time for an interview and I responded to that. I expected to get a call closer to my trip, but instead I received an email.

That's definitely different than what others have experienced. Maybe they are switching it up? Or possibly you had a specific set of needs checked on the card that they've now decided to automatically approve?

I've gotten my card and the email about an interview but haven't had a call (or email reply back). I don't have definitive dates for my trip though - I wrote that even making the trip will depend on if I have accommodations or not.

I did not get a call or an email like you got but when I sent an email asking they said I had already been approved and then sent me a similar email. I asked if it was a one time thing and they replied via email it is for life as long as I continue to renew the IBCCES. I did notice I had a case number quite some time before my trip and was confused about that since I had not talked to anyone so I have no idea how they determined it. It was the orange pass.

That's definitely different than what others have experienced. Maybe they are switching it up? Or possibly you had a specific set of needs checked on the card that they've now decided to automatically approve?

I've gotten my card and the email about an interview but haven't had a call (or email reply back). I don't have definitive dates for my trip though - I wrote that even making the trip will depend on if I have accommodations or not.

I was sort of wondering if maybe they had access to my read my medical team's letter.

I was sort of wondering if maybe they had access to my read my medical team's letter.

I do not think they do have access to that. I believe they only have access to what is on your card. I was surprised and confused and initially wondered if I fell through the cracks. I applied on the first day and got the generic email some time later asking when my trip was and then nothing. I am not sure when I first noticed I had a case number but could not find anyone else who had a case number without a phone call so I let it go until a few days before my trip when I started emailing them. You are the first person I have heard of who had a similar experience to me but in all honestly I have not been looking for it since my trip

I just got an email confirmation today of my case number/AAP, no phone call! It was pretty much word-for-word what Wells Larsen posted above. I don't know the type of the AAP. I'm glad not to have had to do a phone call - I really hate cold calls when I don't know the call is coming at that time!

My DH has an upcoming medical visit with his provider, at which time he is going to ask for a letter for IBCCES. I am still a bit confused as to what we should ask for the letter to say. Should it state the name of the condition and/or the symptoms? Does it need to specifically use the exact word "disability" and does it have to say anything about waiting in lines? I'm assuming no since people are using school and workplace documentation without issue. I'm guessing the doctor is going to ask us how much detail we want included and I'm not sure what is most helpful here. If anyone has already gone through the new system, particularly with IBS/Crohn's type issues, your experience here would be helpful. Thanks.

I remember reading either here or somewhere else that UO is no longer issuing gold AAPs to people who have not already been approved for one. I wonder if they are approving all applications without a phone interview because they no longer need to assess your level of accommodation?

I want to make it clear this is speculation and I don’t have any official confirmation that they aren’t issuing gold AAPs anymore.

I remember reading either here or somewhere else that UO is no longer issuing gold AAPs to people who have not already been approved for one. I wonder if they are approving all applications without a phone interview because they no longer need to assess your level of accommodation?

I want to make it clear this is speculation and I don’t have any official confirmation that they aren’t issuing gold AAPs anymore.
I have exactly zero official information, but if this is the case, I want to urge those who need a different level of accommodation to proactively make the call yourselves. My dad's accommodations were approved months ago, and he has something far different than the AAP. That particular accommodation wouldn't work for him at all. So if it won't work for you either (general you), definitely call and ask for the accessibility team, and be ready to explain why it won't work.

I am mortified to admit my (special needs- non-verbal) son was on a queue at WDW and pooped on the line exiting. She came out with him and told me and I literally RAN thru the queue from the exit like a maniac and it was already picked up. I would have used my bare hands. This was many years ago. I still have nightmares about it.

He wears pull-ups now but they can leak badly.

There is a big difference between being uncomfortable waiting in lines than not being able to wait at all.
there are few absolutes in life, lots of gray areas.

Accommodations are intended to be individually geared to each guest’s specific needs.

I am very thankful it’s not my job to sit in judgement, however, “somebody“ has to make that particular determination on behalf of whatever park is involved.

Would like to think most who do request/are indeed approved due to their needs, not wants.

Thank you so much for your review (so sorry you caught COVID). I have my first ever cruise booked for next May. Even though my cruise is to the Greek islands, it was very helpful to read about your experiences with formal nights, photos and cruising in general.

there are few absolutes in life, lots of gray areas.

Accommodations are intended to be individually geared to each guest’s specific needs.

I am very thankful it’s not my job to sit in judgement, however, “somebody“ has to make that particular determination on behalf of whatever park is involved.

Would like to think most who do request/are indeed approved due to their needs, not wants.
In an ideal world that would be the case. But unfortunately that’s not reality. There are tons of shady websites online that teach people ways they can get the card and what to say to get it approved. If they have been turned down, they can try one of the typically approved disabilities with no documentation or proof. Like anything, we all know what road is paved with good intentions.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Disney has made any changes to its DAS policy recently. One vlogger stating it does not make it true. And this thread is about Universal, which, due to its new third party process has appeared to crack down on DAS.

But, I don't believe Disney World has made any recent changes to DAS.
They did, they stopped issuing the DAS for bathroom related issues. DH was told directly by several CMs.

I don’t believe this is 100% accurate. Disneyland does seem to be more difficult but folks have reported recently receiving DAS at WDW for related needs.
WDW told him the same thing, but admittedly this has been a couple of months and they may have been forced to backtrack on it (hopefully, as there are times where it would be impossible to find a CM and then make it to the bathroom and what about people traveling in parties of two and the person needs assistance) not to mention trying to get of line with a mobility device and then back into line with one.....so many issues, so hopefully they backtracked on this one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter