• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Universal Studios to DLR

flotoro

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone!

Longtime reader of the boards, but this is my first time posting. We're flying into Burbank airport and are going straight to Universal Studios. We're planning on heading over to Anaheim to spend the rest of the week at Disneyland (flying back on out of SNA).

I've seen multiple threads where others are going from Disneyland to Universal Studios, but wondered if anyone has ever hit up Universal Studios first. What was your transportation choice?

I'm deciding between getting a Lyft (the more convenient, but expensive option) or taking public transportation (which includes a few transfers from what I recall).

Just wanted to check on anyone else's experiences and diligently checking the boards for snack and food updates =]

Hi everyone!

Longtime reader of the boards, but this is my first time posting. We're flying into Burbank airport and are going straight to Universal Studios. We're planning on heading over to Anaheim to spend the rest of the week at Disneyland (flying back on out of SNA).

I've seen multiple threads where others are going from Disneyland to Universal Studios, but wondered if anyone has ever hit up Universal Studios first. What was your transportation choice?

I'm deciding between getting a Lyft (the more convenient, but expensive option) or taking public transportation (which includes a few transfers from what I recall).

Just wanted to check on anyone else's experiences and diligently checking the boards for snack and food updates =]
We have gone into BUR for time at Universal Studio prior to DLR. End of trip Departure was out of LGB or SNA.
We rented a car from BUR went to USH and then drove through Hollywood on the way to DLR.

Rental car was through Costco. We returned the car to a location a couple of blocks from our hotel at DLR prior to statring at Disneyland.
The rental was the least expensive option for our trip.

We have gone into BUR for time at Universal Studio prior to DLR. End of trip Departure was out of LGB or SNA.
We rented a car from BUR went to USH and then drove through Hollywood on the way to DLR.

Rental car was through Costco. We returned the car to a location a couple of blocks from our hotel at DLR prior to statring at Disneyland.
The rental was the least expensive option for our trip.

Oh! I completely forgot about renting a car, thanks! Did you drop off the car the morning after you got to Anaheim? All the rental car drop off places near Harbor Blvd close at 6pm and I don't think we'll make that window.

I grew up in Southern California taking public transportation. Granted, it has been several years since I lived there (my mother lived there until about 4 years ago and took public transportation daily), but I would not take it to go from USH to DLR.
I would rent a car as suggested above.

Public transportation will take several hours and involves several transfers. You're better off renting a car or using some sort of town car service. Renting a car will probably be the most cost effective option. Just remember that you'll be driving through the hellish LA traffic. While you'll only be going 40 miles, it could take you two-plus hours at certain times of day.

Oh! I completely forgot about renting a car, thanks! Did you drop off the car the morning after you got to Anaheim? All the rental car drop off places near Harbor Blvd close at 6pm and I don't think we'll make that window.
I think we dropped it off at the Convention Center Hilton - Enterprise Co. and then took a taxi to GCH.
We were able to make it there before they closed for the evening. In the rush I forgot to fill the gas tank though.

This is the way we will do it again when we add USH to a trip. It was really easy.

Hi everyone!

We're trying to figure it out as well. Looks like Trains might a cheaper option. I looked at private cars and shuttles and they run from 125-175 one way.

the best public transport option would be to Uber or Lyft from Universal to Union Station in Downtown LA, then take Amrak / Pacific Surfliner from Union Station to Anaheim ARTIC train station, then UBER / Lyft or ART bus to your hotel.

The train takes about 40 minutes, which is far far less than driving. Whether you rent a car or take UBER / Lyft you will still get caught in LA traffic.

Its about 20 minutes from Anaheim ARTIC train station to Disney. The train station is actaullu on Katella Avenue, but way down, so its a straight drive all the way up Katella Avenue from the train station to Disney and the hotels / motels

the best public transport option would be to Uber or Lyft from Universal to Union Station in Downtown LA, then take Amrak / Pacific Surfliner from Union Station to Anaheim ARTIC train station, then UBER / Lyft or ART bus to your hotel.

The train takes about 40 minutes, which is far far less than driving. Whether you rent a car or take UBER / Lyft you will still get caught in LA traffic.

Its about 20 minutes from Anaheim ARTIC train station to Disney. The train station is actaullu on Katella Avenue, but way down, so its a straight drive all the way up Katella Avenue from the train station to Disney and the hotels / motels

Thanks for your input! I've seen your other posts on here about solo-traveling and how you've used ART to get to the parks. I think we might go with Amtrak option, just because I don't want to have to deal with driving through LA. We'll probably use Lyft to get to our hotel once we get to Anaheim.

I recently read this article about limited seats on popular Amtrak trains (even when you book a reserved seat), so I hope that's not the case!

I recently read this article about limited seats on popular Amtrak trains (even when you book a reserved seat), so I hope that's not the case!

This actually happened on the train I took this year. I got on the train at Union Station, and there was alot of people on the train from previous stops. I was on the platform about 15 minutes before the train arrived and was one of the first people to get into the carriage. I had an unreserved seat ticket and managed to get a seat on the upper level.

The train stayed at Union Station for about 15 minutes and before we left there were announcements that it was standing room only. They announced that a ticket only guarantees that a train will bring you from A to B. It does not guarantee you a seat. They also announced that the train an hour behind was less crowded and people could wait for the next train if they wanted to. Just for reference I was on the 12.30pm departure from Union Station to Anaheim on Saturday 29 June.

Just a note about public transportation and especially Metrolink, which I use a lot (I live in LA and often visit Orange County). Metrolink has an inexpensive $10 weekend day pass that allows you to use any LA metro/subway or bus for free. For example, if you need to take the red line to Union Station on your way to Anaheim Metrolink station, the cost of the red line ticket is included in the $10 day pass. It's really a great deal. Unfortunately, it doesn't cover OCTA (the OC bus system), so you have to buy tickets for OCTA once you get to Anaheim.

We ended up going with another family and after calculating costs and convenience, we actually just went in for a limo ride. Everyone was exhausted after a long day at Universal

While Metrolink/Amtrak are safe, I'd HIGHLY advise not using any kind of public transportation in the Los Angeles area. It's far too dangerous to have to worry about on a vacation. Private transport, Uber/Lyft or renting a car would be the way to go.

While Metrolink/Amtrak are safe, I'd HIGHLY advise not using any kind of public transportation in the Los Angeles area. It's far too dangerous to have to worry about on a vacation. Private transport, Uber/Lyft or renting a car would be the way to go.

I disagree. I am from Ireland and a solo traveler. Before Covid I went to LA every year in June. I don't drive and I used the public transport system in LA all the time. I had a TAP card and over the years I used the both the underground and bus network. Compared to Europe, it needs a bit more planning and with the distances involved in the LA area, things are more spread out and take longer to get there.

However that being said, I never used the public transport after 7pm. I have used public transport all my life in many countries around the world, so I know how not to be a tourist and to blend in and act like a local. Using public transport is not a novelty thing for me, its part of my normal day to day life.

I'd normally let the comment go, since adults can make choices for themselves, but I just have to re-iterate what kind of position you put yourself in on public transport in LA. Over the past few years, enforcement of certain offenses is no longer done, and crimes against persons which newspapers gloss over but affect victims for life have proliferated.

Again, if you enjoy taking public transport, by all means, its your choice. However, I stand by my advice that on a vacation, public transportation is not the way to go in this area.

I'd normally let the comment go, since adults can make choices for themselves, but I just have to re-iterate what kind of position you put yourself in on public transport in LA. Over the past few years, enforcement of certain offenses is no longer done, and crimes against persons which newspapers gloss over but affect victims for life have proliferated.

Again, if you enjoy taking public transport, by all means, its your choice. However, I stand by my advice that on a vacation, public transportation is not the way to go in this area.

well considering I live in a area where I have been mugged at knife point 2 street from my house and public transport routes in my nieghbourhood are regularly stopped or put on diversion due the bus drivers being attracted, stones being thrown at the bus and many times when I have been on the bus coming home from work, the Police have been called by the bus driver, I am kinda used to being on public transport and knowing whether its safe or not to be there. Most of this stuff is never reported in the media either, so its only if you live in this area and take public transport on a day to day basis you would know.

Again, just because we have the money to travel from Europe does not mean that we are cluseless tourists. Some of us live in the gheto or projects.

OP for ease of scheduling and convenience I would suggest a private shuttle service. We are Canadian and we used to use Supershuttle to move around. They have shut down but on our last trip we used “Midwilshuttle” and were very very happy with their service. They were super flexible. They typically do airport pick ups but I’m sure they could provide a quote to transport you from Universal to Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter