Universal's Epic Universe - News and Discussion

Are you excited for Epic Universe?

• Yes

• No

• I'm excited for everything but the name.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Yes, that's correct. However, with Marvel, Universal's contract was a brilliant bargain for them as at the time of signing it Marvel wasn't doing too well, so the contract was cheap and endless - so nothing Disney can do about ending that. With the Simpsons I feel Disney wants to play hard ball and Universal have other great ideas for the area, so win win for Universal.
The Marvel contract saves us from getting Webslingers in Florida, so also a win for us. Spiderman in IoA is simply a better ride.

I think in terms of popularity Pokemon would fare better than Simpsons. Not saying Simpsons is unpopular but Pokemon is the highest grossing IP in the world...

The Marvel contract saves us from getting Webslingers in Florida, so also a win for us. Spiderman in IoA is simply a better ride.

I think in terms of popularity Pokemon would fare better than Simpsons. Not saying Simpsons is unpopular but Pokemon is the highest grossing IP in the world...
Yeah Pokemon would be a big deal, and hopefully its not just an overlay of BTTF\Simpsons Ride

No interest in it myself, but it would still be big and I would check it out.

Are they closing Simpsons ride and Springfield? I haven't gone to that area in years.

What's the replacement going to be?

Yeah Pokemon would be a big deal, and hopefully its not just an overlay of BTTF\Simpsons Ride

No interest in it myself, but it would still be big and I would check it out.
I feel that if Pokemon does take over from Springfield it will be a complete transformation. The ride building has been there since the park opened and is probably ready to be demolished.

Personally I would also take out Men in Black and build something new there as the area between fear Factor and Men in black is just a wasted area - so much they could put in there too.

With (allegedly) a new Pokemon land plus Zelda plus that area down from Men in Black, Studios could have an amazing new look park that is completely refreshed for return customers and new ones.

I feel that if Pokemon does take over from Springfield it will be a complete transformation. The ride building has been there since the park opened and is probably ready to be demolished.

Personally I would also take out Men in Black and build something new there as the area between fear Factor and Men in black is just a wasted area - so much they could put in there too.

With (allegedly) a new Pokemon land plus Zelda plus that area down from Men in Black, Studios could have an amazing new look park that is completely refreshed for return customers and new ones.
IDK, Men in Black is still really popular and Minions is not a good replacement for it.
I am guessing it keeps a lot of the crowds busy as well and can process many people per hour at full capacity.

I'd expect they will do something with fear factor first, but in the short term they need it for shows it seems.

Maybe after all the other work is done then you do that - but its a long ways away IMO.

With the list of EU attractions, and UOR on a broader scale, it made me wonder why they aren't leaning into sci-fi lands/attractions heavier. Yes, I know the upcoming dueling coaster is space-themed-ish, but really has me asking myself if there isn't a strong enough IP in the Universal umbrella to move forward with.

BSG has some teeth and with rumors of an upcoming motion picture, it might slot in nicely. Or maybe, UOR doesn't want to compete against the likes of SWGE knowing they don't have enough, or strong enough, IP.

Whatever the case, there is no Tomorrowland I see on the horizon. Maybe UOR version of Tomorrowland doesn't need an IP either. 🤷‍♂️

With the Simpsons I feel Disney wants to play hard ball and Universal have other great ideas for the area, so win win for Universal.

Yes. I agree. Universal no longer wants to pay Disney and Universal probably has an idea for something that will be just as popular, make them just as much money, and will not require them to pay Disney.

I hope they put a Kowalski bakery. 🤞

I have wanted this/something similar to this since the first Fantastic Beasts movie.

I would think Paramount would lease them rights to Star Trek.
Well... I don think its that simple. Its CBS and Paramount depending on what you want to base it on.

Then do they mess it up like Disney and use the new IP that no one really cares about or the ones people actually want.
If it was based on the new trek I'd probably skip it to be honest.

Personally I'm glad they are not just trying to shoehorn IP in everywhere like Disney is.
I agree they don't have many strong IPs they could have used, maybe Flash Gordon, but that's not going to be any kind of draw. Maybe if it was the 1980 film and they could have the Queen music that would be cool.

In the end the Universal team does an amazing job with Original content, for example the HHN houses and the tribute stores. I don't need everything to be an IP.

Big IP's that would work well are Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones, Doctor Who (though Disney is now involved in that), SAW, Final Destination, and then kid's IP's would be Trolls, Barbie, Sing! - these would all blend in well with Universal, I think Star Trek is an exceptionally well known IP worldwide, but there isn't really much you can do with it.

You obviously never got to experience the Star Trek stuff in Las Vegas. It was awesome.
I did hear good things about it, never did it though.

There is also the original series set tour in upstate NY which looks pretty cool, I always say I am going to do it, but it never works out.
https://startrektour.com/

Shatner is there at least once a year.

I think there were also going to build a Next Gen set there as well, but the pandemic happened.

Big IP's that would work well are Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones, Doctor Who (though Disney is now involved in that), SAW, Final Destination, and then kid's IP's would be Trolls, Barbie, Sing! - these would all blend in well with Universal, I think Star Trek is an exceptionally well known IP worldwide, but there isn't really much you can do with it.

Barbie would be amazing for a stage show. I'm just thinking about all of the musical numbers, especially "Dance the Night Away" and seeing potential.

Its CBS and Paramount depending on what you want to base it on.
CBS and Paramount are pretty much the same thing. At the very least they are connected are controlled by the same parent company/corporate overloads.

I am not a huge Star Trek fan, but I think there are things you can do with it. At the bare minimum, some type of Smuggler's Run or Star Tours rip-off should be possible. A Launch Bay walk through style attraction with meet and greets could work as well.

It’s seems weird that they’d open the hotels way before the park.

You obviously never got to experience the Star Trek stuff in Las Vegas. It was awesome.
For its time it was better then SWGE.
I am not a huge Star Trek fan, but I think there are things you can do with it. At the bare minimum, some type of Smuggler's Run or Star Tours rip-off should be possible. A Launch Bay walk through style attraction with meet and greets could work as well.
Did you see the Star Trek Experience in Vegas.
In some ways SWGE ripped it off.

Epic won't nave the nostalgia that Disney parks have, but it certainly looks like it's going to have a Disney level of theming, comparable to Galaxys edge and Pandora. I think if they are able to nail the theming then there is certainly a shot this park will be preferred over some Disney parks.

There's roughly a year and a half left before opening and they are so far along. I think two coasters are already complete and testing.
My issue with Disney is that I don't consider Star Wars, Marvel or Pandora part of Disney. I know that they are owned by Disney, but they weren't created by Walt Disney, nor by the Imagineers. When Disney originally had Star Wars stuff at MGM, I loved the nostalgia of it (as a huge Star Wars fan) and accepted as part of their "movie" theming. I have a much harder time accepting Galaxies' Edge because I don't like the new Star Wars stuff. It's not nostalgic at all to me. And Galaxies Edge isn't intended to be part of the "we're in a movie set" theming as the original Star Tours was intended.

What I loved about Disney parks was how they brought the original Disney animated classics to life. The more they add Marvel and Star Wars to the mix, the less they feel like the magical world of Disney that I grew up with.

For its time it was better then SWGE.

Did you see the Star Trek Experience in Vegas.
In some ways SWGE ripped it off.
I did not because I'm not really a Star Trek fan. I've seen one or two episodes of the original series, and one or two episodes of the Next Generation. My point was that even with my limited exposure to the franchise, I did think there were fun experiences that Universal could do with Star Trek within the parks.
I have a much harder time accepting Galaxies' Edge because I don't like the new Star Wars stuff. It's not nostalgic at all to me. And Galaxies Edge isn't intended to be part of the "we're in a movie set" theming as the original Star Tours was intended.
Slightly on topic/slightly off topic: I agree with you about Galaxy's Edge. It's not nostalgic. I haven't been to the one in Orlando, but the themeing/land does not work any better in Disneyland. With Galaxy's Edge, the overall land is Star Wars because Disney tells me it's Star Wars, but I feel no emotional connection to it at all as a whole. The one exception and the best part of Galaxy's Edge is Smuggler's Run, because it is something familiar and loved.

What Universal did incredibly well was recreating familiar and loved spaces/elements of the Harry Potter series, like Hogsmeade, Diagon Alley, or Hogwarts Castle (I recommend ride cowards do the full queue without ExpressPass and skip the ride, because that's how amazing I think it is). With the Harry Potter sections at Universal you feel like you are THERE and in the world of the story. It may not be 100% book or movie accurate, but they got close enough that most fans absolute love it.

Universal has done a good job In their lands with Potter, Seuss, JP/Kong (good not great), Marvel, Toon, and formerly lost contient and maybe NY.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter