Up Where They Walk, Up Where They Run: Going the Distance with Disney & My Dissertation (comments welcome!)

lookingforsunshine

it never hurts to keep looking for sunshine
Hi all! I have really enjoyed reading all of your training journals and thought I would start my own for 2022. I am a 31-year-old Buckeye working on my dissertation who enjoys yoga (I got my 200 hr teacher training certificate last summer!), triathlons, hiking/backpacking, my dogs, and, of course, Disney. I just came back from Marathon Weekend where I attempted the Goofy Challenge. I finished the half marathon but was swept at mile 11.7 for the full. I trained well for the half and not for the full so this was not much of a surprise to me. I am glad I showed up to the start line, though, and the experience gave me a good baseline for setting 2022 goals!

I’ll post a detailed race recap and goal setting post soon, but for now I just wanted to say hi!

Marathon Weekend Trip Report
Day 1: Thursday, January 6
Travel, Expo, Disney Springs, & Drawn to Life

DH and I had a flight bright and early at 6:00 am, which meant leaving for the airport around 4:00 am. I had slept an outstanding 4 hours and 4 minutes, which is honestly pretty good for me on a pre-travel night as I get anxious.

The flight was thankfully uneventful. I watched The Princess Diaries to start the Disney theme going. Iconic. We had a very quick (like 20 minute) layover in Atlanta. We arrived in Orlando around 10:30 am, got our luggage, and got a taxi to the hotel. A Lyft would have definitely been cheaper, so lesson learned there.

We stayed at the Hilton Signia Bonnet Creek. The man who checked us in had run Dopey a few years ago which was cool! We originally had a room with a king sized bed but found out those rooms had no bath tubs. I was planning to use a tub for recovery so we upgraded to a room with two we run size beds that had a tub. It was like $10 extra a night. This hotel offers Marathon weekend packages, and overall it was pretty nice. I think it meant we got a discount on the room. We also got a little gift bag with a free drink voucher (that we didn’t end up using, oops) and a cooling towel. I had actually brought my own cooking towels just in case but these ones were nicer and pack smaller. I didn’t end up having to use one this weekend but will be bringing it to future races and backpacking trips.

After dropping off our belongings, changing, and getting a quick bite to eat (sandwiches from Muse that were soggy and frankly disgusting), we headed to the Expo. My expo outfit was a custom shirt from Raw Threads Athletics that said I Can Go the Distance, purple biker tights, shiny blue and purple Oofos that I may or may not have purchased because of how they matched the 50th theme, my 50th ears from Etsy, and my Mickey iridescent pin fanny pack. I loved planning outfits for the trip and thought this one came together well. Here’s a decent pic of it:
(Image description: DH and I standing with giant 13.1 numbers that have Donald and Daisy painted on them.)

We took a Lyft and it was about $10 each way. We had debated renting a car but the parking at the hotel made it seem not worth it. Transportation all weekend was expensive but I think we saved some money. The Expo was more spread out than I remember it being in 2015, but that was also a long time ago. We went to the Disney merch area first which did not have much. I wanted the pink marathon shirt but am glad I didn’t get it for obvious reasons. My neighbors had been to Expo on Wednesday and they kindly picked up a small pin (I wanted the big one but it sold out immediately I guess) and a car magnet for me. They also picked up my new favorite shirt:
(Image description: Selfie of me in my new shirt. It has a picture of Eeyore in exercise gear and says “I work out. Just kidding. I take naps.”)

We took pictures around the Expo. I took some with all of the Goofy distance signs even though it made me nervous since I hadn’t done the races yet. The Goofy and Marathon pictures will be deleted, lol. I loved the castle set up though— so pretty! Everyone around us in line was super nice, and we chatted with a woman who was running the 10k for charity. I hope her race went well! Next we headed to get our bibs which was an easy process and then to get our shirts. I had been excited for the Expo and to see the vendors but I ended up getting a little anxious being around so many people so we ended up leaving relatively quickly.
(Image description: Me kneeling in front of a replica of the 50th Cinderella’s Castle.)

(Image description: DH and I in a Run Disney themed booth with images of Donald, Daisy, Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Goofy, and Dopey running. DH is kissing my cheek.)

We went straight from the Expo to Disney Springs (once again, via Lyft). We shopped for a bit. I love Disney Springs so much and always have a nice time there. We went to Basin where I got some bath salts and a Donald and Minnie bath bomb to use the nights before their respective races. We also went to Sugarboo which is my favorite store. I got a little temporary tattoo that said “strength.” (Side note: I ended up placing it above my watch and really liked how it looked and am low key considering getting a real tattoo there.) We had reservations at Boathouse at 3:45 pm. We got to sit by the water which was nice. The bread was also delicious and I got some to go because my coach told me I should eat a lot of bread this week, ha. I find those car boat things that are going around to be very uncanny though… not a fan. The meal was good. Afterward, we had the best part of the day which was tickets to Drawn to Life, the Cirque du Soleil show! We saw the 5:30 pm show which was lucky because I learned later that the 8:00 pm show was cancelled at the last minute for an undisclosed reason (does anyone know what happened?). This show was SO good and I found myself tearing up from happiness and watching such amazing feats juxtaposed against some of my favorite animated characters. I was also probably sleep deprived. Anyway, I highly recommend this show if you get the opportunity to see it! The only downside was we were super close to the front on the side so our view was blocked sometimes. And the people around us talked the whole time.

(Image description: A piece of bread being held up against a lake background.)

(Image description: Boat that looks like a car. Some people (me) think it looks scary and weird.)

After the show we stopped by the big Disney store which had gotten SO crowded so I quickly became overwhelmed and we left. At the hotel we relaxed and went to bed! Day 1 was fun and done!

I watched The Princess Diaries to start the Disney theme going. Iconic.

A classic.

My expo outfit was a custom shirt from Raw Threads Athletics that said I Can Go the Distance

Did you see the endure jewelry bracelets that said go the distance? My cousin got one.

We had reservations at Boathouse at 3:45 pm. We got to sit by the water which was nice.

I went to the boathouse during my trip! But I'll tell you more about that in a few days when I post about it LOL I do like it there

Day 2: Friday, January 7
Hilton Bonnet Creek Pool & Boardwalk

When I originally dreamed up this trip, I had hoped to have a park day on this day but I am SO glad I decided to rest instead.

First, I got the best night of sleep I had had in a LONG time. Usually I only get a few minutes of deep sleep (my average deep sleep the week before was 25 minutes and for the past 7 days it is 33 minutes). I had just under 2 1/2 hours of deep sleep! So, sleep score was amazing. I had read or seen the tip somewhere to bring a travel fan to create white noise. I usually sleep with the fan on at home because DH snores and having the white noise fan at the hotel was nice. I also didn’t have 3-4 dogs sleeping in bed with me as usual which I suppose made a difference! This ended up being really important as you’ll soon learn that I did not get good sleep the rest of the weekend.
(Image description: Garmin sleep report. I slept 11 hours and 27 minutes. With 2 1/2 hours of deep sleep!)

My husband got up early to go play golf, which was my present to him for his birthday. He went to Hawk’s Landing and said it was, and I quote “good” (but probably overpriced). Meanwhile, I went down to the pool area to eat lunch, hydrate, and read. I had my Nalgene 32 oz with 2 nuun tablets and also some yummy lemon water. I put my plantar fasciitis compression socks on and chilled. There was a group of bros who had planned to race around the lazy river and I was right where their “start line” was. They never made it back around lol.
(Image description: My view of the lazy river. You can see my Kindle, compression socks, and water.)

Sadly the pool experience got very frustrating because the hotel is doing construction and there was incessant VERY loud banging that just would. not. stop. It looked like they were drilling something? I eventually went back to my room because of it, and I could still hear the noise in my room. When my DH returned from golf he called the desk to complain about it. We ended up getting all of our resort fees waived which was great and saved us a lot of money (about $225). He then convinced me to endure the banging so we could go to the lazy river. We floated around a few times and went in the hot tub, then it was time to go back to the room to get ready for dinner.

I had reservations for Trattorio al Forno on the Boardwalk. I didn’t know about the 60-day reservation thing and ended up paying for Mousekepros to alert me when things I wanted opened up. It was $6 and worth it. This was one of the reservations it helped me get, and I am so glad we did! We took a Lyft to the Boardwalk and were a little early for our reservation. We checked in and they said it would be a wait but almost immediately someone called for “Alyssa.” We sat at the table and when the waiter came he clarified our names and it turned out I was the wrong Alyssa. I felt bad and offered to go back to the lobby but the waiter said it was okay. He was super friendly and a great waiter. I ordered the plant-based rigatoni bolognese. SO delicious. I did wish there was more noodles and less “meat,” though. I drank more water and ate more bread as my coach advised, ha. My DH had the steak and he says “oh that was good!”
(Image description: My plant-based rigatoni bolognese. No animals harmed in the making of this meal!)

After dinner we headed straight back to the hotel. I got everything ready and set out, took a bath with my Basin salts and Donald bath bomb, and rolled my feet. Pro tip: store your foot roller in the fridge— it feels so nice! We then just tried to sleep which I failed miserably at… more to come later!
(Image description: A Donald Duck bath bomb against a background of a tub’s running water.)

(Image description: A paper with a quote against my race clothes/Pegasus costume and bib. The quote says, “You may be whatever you resolve to be. Determine to be something in the world and you will be something. ‘I cannot,’ never accomplished anything; ‘I will try,’ has wrought wonders.”)

Day 3: Saturday, January 8
The Half Marathon

I am almost as tired as I was MW as I write this. My DH got me some sleep supplements and I feel like everything is moving slowly. Maybe I should keep these in mind for next MW…

So, Saturday. The day of the half. Although I was in bed ready to sleep by around 9:15 pm, I did not fall asleep until after midnight. From 10-12 I literally got up every 15 minutes to pee (and I am using the real definition of literally, not the contemporary interpretation of it). I forgot to say this in my last post, but I did drink 16 oz of water with an added salt supplement (Precision Hydration 1500) before bed to help hydrate me before the race since I sweat a lot. I followed the instructions and didn’t drink this in addition to my other water but as part of it, and didn’t really drink THAT much more than I normally do over the course of the day, but maybe nerves played a role? Maybe TMI but each pee was like a full on pee so idk. Anyway it was annoying and I couldn’t sleep anyway.
(Image description: A terrible picture of me drinking lemon water while looking at my phone. The only good part of this picture is my Eeyore ears. I would come to regret the amount of water I drank.)

I finally fell asleep sometime after midnight and my alarm woke me up at 2:15 am. I got so little sleep that my watch did not even register any of it. This was worrisome to me but I felt better knowing that I had slept so well the night before. My DH was running the half with me— his first one!— so we both got up, got ready, and made our way to the lobby around 2:45 am to catch the 3:00 am shuttle. The Hilton Bonnet Creek does the pre-race party well: there were a bunch of workers cheering really enthusiastically for us with signs and there was an assortment of food and beverages. I took two bananas and ate one on the shuttle and saved the other for about 30 min pre-race. I meant to fill up my handheld water bottle but forgot. I also had a 16 oz water with me that had another Precision Hydration 1500 packet in it that I was going to drink 45 minutes before the race began. I don’t remember the shuttle too clearly, but we made it to Epcot easily enough. After getting off the bus I used the restroom and then we met our neighbors who were doing the Dopey Challenge. They had found a nice spot to sit behind the security area (I think that’s what it was?) that was quiet and had a pretty view of SE. We sat and chatted for a bit, and I did a yoga warmup (a few rounds of Sun Salutations) and some stretches. It was a bit early to warm up, but I was doubting (correctly) that I’d be able to have the room to move in the corrals. Eventually, we began the longgg walk to the corrals. I filled my handheld water bottle up with the Disney water jugs and added my Tailwind for the race on the way. I also stopped at a porta potty one more time. I was nervous about it being too dark in there but it was fine.
(Image description: Selfie of me in front of a lit up Spaceship Earth.)

(Image description: Me in Pegasus costume stretching my hamstring on a bar. Why did my DH take this picture? I can only assume it was to highlight my awesome mane and tail.)

The neighbors were in a different corral (and technically so was DH— he got S5 but was going to stay with me in S6), so we parted ways and I wished them luck on the third leg of their Dopey! DH and I chilled in the corral and took some pictures. We were dressed as Hercules and Pegasus and I was low key obsessed with our costumes. I had originally planned on Hercules and Meg, but I didn’t end up liking the Meg costume once I got it. I think Pegasus was a more fun idea anyway! My costume consisted of white pocket shorts from Athleta, a white athletic shirt, and a white Sparkle Athletic skirt. The highlights were the shoe wings from Sparkle Athletic and of course my hat and tail. I got those from DK Design Emporium on Etsy. I ended up sending the seller my own hat because I wanted to know it would be comfortable and was sweat wicking. The costume ended up being super comfortable— full disclosure, my pride hot the best of me and I didn’t do any practice runs in the hat or tail. But all was well! DH had actually never seen Hercules so we watched it a few nights before the trip. We were ready to go the distance!
(Image description: My DH and I waiting in the corrals, me dressed as Pegasus and him as Hercules.)

In S6, we had access to screens and sound for the main stage but there was an annoying echo. And once we started moving I eventually got stuck stopped next to a speaker which was painful. Next race weekend I might bring tiny disposable earplugs. After about 45 minutes from the first starting group, we were finally off!

I should have written this days ago because I feel like I have little memory of the race itself. Does anyone else just like black out during races? I can’t even remember what intervals we did, but I know the running was longer than the walking. As it is with Disney races, the course was very congested and my DH kept weaving in and out of people but I tried not to do that because I knew I had a marathon attempt the next day. We kept with our intervals for the first half of the race (and then some), and I remember being happy when we ran through Cinderella’s Castle because I had yet to experience any of the foot pain that so often plagues my runs. I ran in my Hokas as planned and had taped my feet with moleskine, found socks that were wide and seemed to work well for me, and also tied my laces differently, skipping a hole (I had tried this on at least one run before). I was scared to say anything about it because I didn’t want to jinx myself. But as far as feet go, I did not have any pain the rest of the run. Or maybe it was adrenaline masking it somehow… more on that later.
(Image description: Me, running in front of the Castle. This is the best action race picture I have ever had. I bet it is because my feet felt good!)

I started to feel less good around mile 8 or 9. I stopped to use the bathroom and realized that costume tails plus porta potties were not a great mix— everything was okay though but I feel like managing the costume made the bathroom break take longer than I wanted. I was also feeling very hot. I had planned to eat one Clif Blok per mile, but that ended up feeling like too much so I moved to 1 every 2 miles, plus I was drinking my Tailwind. It was around here that I started taking in plain water at the water stops as well. I don’t remember too much moving forward from here except that when we passed the last big bus sweep point before the ramp they were yelling at us to keep going so we didn’t get swept. I thought it was a joke. Then I realized that we were only like 5-7 minutes ahead of the balloon ladies, and when we got to the top of the ramp I could see them at the bottom. I knew we would finish at this point though, and I wasn’t worried. However, the congestion had gotten really bad and I was starting to get anxious about the next day’s run. My husband wanted to keep running but I decided to just power walk the last couple miles so I wasn’t doing so much weaving. I ended up finishing only like a minute slower than him so I don’t think his running made that much of a difference anyway, haha (sorry DH). And I felt way stronger/better than him after the race. See photo evidence below. But for real, I am very proud of him for finishing his first half marathon (and beating me).
Walking through Epcot did not really feel like I was walking through a park. Maybe it was because I was tired from the two hills close to the end, maybe it was my unfamiliarity with the park, maybe it was the construction. But I made it to the finish line and crossed it, where I found my DH sitting on the ground on the side. A medical person was asking him if he needed a chair but I determined he was fine and walked him over to the medical area to sit down. I found him some pain relief medicine but they said we would have to keep walking to get water so once he could stand up again that’s what we did. My DH was not happy to have to keep walking after the race and probably would have just stayed there forever if I didn’t walk with him. We got our snack boxes and proceeded. To be fair, the walk back to our bus pickup was a lot farther than I had hoped— AND we went the wrong way at first because we initially went to the Disney bus pick up, assuming that’s where we were meant to go. Nope. So, after a long walk back to where we were dropped off in the morning and a short wait, we finally got on the shuttle back to our hotel— this time, as half marathon finishers!
(Image description: My running watch after the race. It reads 13.4, 3:30:49, 15:44/mi.)

(Image description: Selfie of DH and I in the medical area after the race with my medal. I look happy, he looks exhausted.)

This was my fourth half marathon (fifth, if you include my 70.3 triathlon), and I would say it ranks somewhere in the middle. My PR was 2:59 in Little Rock in 2016, and I have also had worse times than this weekend (both the Columbus half in 2017 and NOLA half in 2019 were slower— I also did not train at all for this races). I did, however, train for this one— not perfectly but more consistently than I had ever trained for anything before. I had done long runs of 8, 9, 11, and 12 miles (in addition to other weekly shorter runs of course). Overall, this was my best half by far in regard to pain management. I remember literally cursing during my first Disney half in 2015 because my feet hurt so bad, but I did not have that happen on this day. And for that I am grateful. My final time was 3:30:42. Not great but what I expected given my current fitness and weight. Even though I finished with an average 16ish minute pace and only a few minutes ahead of the balloon ladies, I still was faster than like 2,000 people which just shows that corral placement matters I suppose!

After getting back to the hotel and showering, my DH told me he wasn’t going anywhere for lunch because he didn’t want to walk. I literally cried, lol. Sleep deprivation at its finest, but I had gotten us a reservation at the Grand Floridian Cafe and I wanted my Mickey waffle! Also the hotel lunch food was just not good, and by the time he told me he didn’t want to go anywhere we had just missed the breakfast cut off. Thankfully, I convinced him that minimal walking would be involved and we made our way to the GFC. We took a Lyft there and back, which, like the other rides was about $10 p/ ride with minimal waiting for a driver.

The GFC was sooo delicious. They had a cute photo area set up so I made DH take photos of me and then we headed back to the hotel where I napped for about 4 hours. I was worried that doing this would prevent me from sleeping that night again but my anxiety that I’d be unable to sleep regardless of the nap won. Once we woke up I started hydrating again and putting everything together for the next day‘s marathon, which only I was doing. I was not hungry at all but knew I needed to eat so we went down to the hotel restaurant where they had a special buffet for the race weekend. I had a salad, the plant-based pasta option, and some fruit. It was not that appetizing. That night, I also had my very first ice bath. I was feeling discouraged about it because our room was so far from the ice machine and the bucket they provided was small, but then DH had the brilliant idea to use the gear check bags. It worked perfectly! I did a 20 min ice bath which felt sooo amazing and then a warm bath afterward with bath salts and my Minnie bath bomb from Basin. I rolled my feet again but discovered a blister on my right foot from where I didn’t cover up the area with the moleskine enough. This was not good. I also used my massage gun, drank another Precision Hydration 1500, and was in bed by 9:00 pm. I didn’t know what the next day would bring, but I was as ready as I would be.
(Image description: runDisney gear check bag filled with ice on the ledge of a bathtub.)

(Image description: A Minnie bath bomb being held up against blue water. I may or may not do races so I can have the excuse to have such luxurious recovery!)

641060(Image description: Me holding my medal in front of a lighted backdrop at the Grand Floridian.)

OMG the difference in emotion on yours and your DH's faces after the half couldn't be more different! I feel bad for him just looking at that picture. I'm guessing this is going to be his first and last half?

Day 4: Sunday, January 9
Marathon Attempt

And, almost two weeks later, it is time to reflect on the marathon. I had originally signed up for the marathon only, and then when my neighbors were doing Dopey I decided to upgrade my registration for Goofy. A part of me wonders if I would have been able to finish the marathon had that been my only race… but I am getting ahead of myself.

Training for this race was not great. As I said in my last post, my longest training run was 12 miles. I started a new teaching job last fall and between that and trying to work on my dissertation, training just wasn’t my top time priority. Eventually in late October or November I had started to get a handle on things better. I had registered my DH for the half marathon and hired a virtual coach to try to help keep me accountable. I told her I was training for the full, and she scheduled my long runs, but I started to get foot pain during them and after a REALLY bad 18k trail run (it took me almost 4 hours and I was dead last by a lot… granted, it was on a trail) I felt defeated and told my coach I just wanted to focus on the half marathon and forget about the full. We did that for awhile, but as hype started to build for the race I felt like I really wanted the pretty marathon medal and that I would be mad at myself if I didn’t try. I talked to my coach and we decided to continue working on the half marathon training and add some long speed walks on the days after (I think the longest I did was 2 hours). I would focus on having a fun half marathon and then show up at the start line for the full and just see how far I got that day.

And show up to the start line I did. I slept a little better than I had the previous night— 3 hours and 54 minutes plus the 4 hour nap from earlier in the day. My alarm went off at 2:15 am and this time my DH got to stay in bed warm and cozy. He was going to play golf again that morning. I wasn’t feeling too sore, but the blister on the bottom of my foot worried me. I did not feel confident that I would be able to finish the race and contemplated just going back to bed: why try if I was going to fail? I could just sleep and maybe get an extra park day. But something inside of me motivated me to walk out of the door and down to the lobby… where I discovered they had no bananas that morning! I was depending on the bananas and thankfully I had a spare in our hotel room. So I rushed back to the room, grabbed the single banana and a protein bar, and once again resisted temptation to go back to sleep.

The lobby was a party again but this day I was by myself. On the bus, which left right on time at 3 am, there were two friendly girls sitting in front of me and they were dressed like Zenon characters— adorable! Made me want to do that costume for a future race. I ate my protein bar on the bus. Once we arrived around 3:15 am ish, I met my neighbors in the same spot as yesterday. It seemed busier at the time than it had the day before, and I was anxious to get to my corral (S6) to put as much room as I could between the balloon ladies and myself. I skipped my yoga/stretching warm up (a mistake, I think) and began the long walk to the corral without my neighbors, filled up my hydration bladder with the provided jugs and added 2 tailwind packets, and stopped at a porta potty. I had brought a sweatshirt with me just in case but was already feeling hot and took it off. I could feel my blister on the walk and was worried but had taped it and knew there wasn’t anything I could do.

Once in the corral, I drank my water plus Precision Hydration 1500, ate my banana, and attempted to stretch but there wasn’t much room. Despite my efforts to get there early, I wasn’t that much more up front in the corral than I had been the previous day. It seemed like everyone had arrived early. I chatted with a friendly local college student who also worked at Disney. I hope his race went well! 5 am came quickly and we were already moving toward the start line. I was a bit disoriented because unlike the previous day we had no access to the screens/speakers and I didn’t even really realize the race had started. It felt like we were moving quickly, and we were— I crossed the start line about 30 minutes earlier than I had the previous day. I wasn’t expecting this and while I was grateful to wait less, I didn’t feel like I had mentally prepared myself for what was to come yet and was not really feeling amped up due to the lack of National Anthem (which I usually love) and pre-race show.

Side note: my costume for the race was Ariel because I knew I would be walking a lot and she has the line “up where they walk, up where they run” in my favorite Disney song ever. I wore a purple Athleta top, the mermaid Sparkle Athletic skirt, green capris, a red sparkly visor, and my purple running vest. I also had a little Max tsum tsum attached to my shoulder. I grew up with sheepdogs and Max is one of my favorite characters. I was supposed to have cute little Flounder and Sebastian shoe clips, but they didn’t arrive in time.

I had decided to do 30 second run, 90 second walks because I was worried my speed walk wouldn’t be fast enough and I wanted some running intervals in there. Almost as soon as I started running my blister popped and it hurt very badly. I would later find a disgusting bloody mess in my shoe and am low key amazed I made it as far as I did. I ran through the pain, felt it less on the walking, and kept up with the intervals for probably 7 miles. I really enjoyed getting to run through Epcot so early on and the lights on the water were really pretty. I wish I had taken a picture. The course felt less congested than it had the previous day, and even moreso once I finally decided to just start speed walking which for the first couple miles of that did not slow me down tremendously. I started the race feeling really hot and sweaty but after Epcot it felt like I had cooled down a bit. I was taking one Clif blok per 2 miles, drinking my Tailwind water every mile, and also drinking a cup of water at every water stop. My stomach felt upset and I really had to go to the bathroom but was avoiding it because I was falling so far behind. That was another mistake, for sure.

According to my text messages, at 6:37 am I texted my mom that I didn’t think I would finish so she and my dad didn’t have to worry about trying to come to the finish line. They live in Tampa and were going to come see us that afternoon. I somehow made it almost 2 more hours after that because I texted my parents again at 8:37 am saying I had been swept. But first…

So, I was not feeling mentally into it. I didn’t think I could push fast enough with my foot pain and had slowed to a walk. There were plenty of people around me going the same pace who would say things like “we can do it” and such and I remember thinking to myself that we were only at like mile 6, there was no way we (I) could do it. I basically gave up mentally and being by myself probably didn’t help. The course was getting less and less congested as I was falling farther and farther behind. I was told that the balloon ladies were getting closer and closer— first 7 minutes behind me, then 4, then 90 seconds. When I saw the sweep bus outside MK, I asked when the next major sweep point was and they told me past MK. So I knew I could make it through the castle and then I would probably be calling it a day. Despite the failure I felt okay mentally and decided to have some fun.

Since I am slow, when I normally do races I try to PR in how many dogs I can pet during the race. My PR for that is 29 dogs at the NOLA Rock N Roll Half Marathon. Obviously, there were no dogs to pet at Disney but I did get my first character photos from any Disney race— with Pluto and Goofy! I said I was sorry for not finishing your challenge Goofy but he seemed okay with it.
(Image description: Me posing with Pluto in the dark with a bus in the background.)

(Image description: Me posing in front of a patriotic Goofy.)

It was around that point that the balloon ladies were right behind me, and they passed me finally literally going into Cinderella’s Castle. It felt poetic, and I have a cool pic of the balloons going into the archway. They were kind, by the way. Not scary monsters. I kept a smile on my face, the sweepers told me that I needed to pick it up but I said I was just going to get on the bus after MK. I kept walking and found the bus at mile 11.7 on my watch. The bus was full and most people seemed to be in okay spirits. I was disappointed in myself for not training well but grateful that I tried. There have been many marathons I have registered for and have DNS’d (usually by moving down to the half distance). I had registered for the Portland Marathon in 2020 which was obviously cancelled. So, I had showed up to the start line of a marathon and that was something. If anything, it was a kick in the butt to motivate to train better for next time and to get my act together and try to lose some of the weight I have gained over the past decade… more on that in a different post, I think.
(Image description: The balloon ladies’ Mickey balloons entering the archway of Cinderella’s Castle.)

(Image description: Me, walking through MK with a balloon lady right behind me. I have a smile on my face somehow.)

(Image description: Me walking next to a bike sweeper. Still smiling.)

Once the bus arrived back to the finish area, they gave me a medal which I put away because I didn’t really want it. (I am actually selling it to help fund my next attempt… judge me if you want, lol.) I went to the medical tent where I discovered the bloody disaster that was my foot. I will spare you those pictures, but in addition to my popped blister I had accumulated 3 or 4 more blisters in the usual areas (metatarsal/ball region of foot) and a blister on my heel which was new. Next time I need to go with the blister tape instead of moleskine because the moleskine obviously failed me. The medic person gave me a special blister bandage, and I was on my way on the longgg walk of shame to the Epcot bus area. The sub 4 hour people were all finishing, and I was happy for them but it was very obvious I had failed because, well, they were all fit and I clearly did not fit in. On my walk, a girl came up to me and said “Did you finish the race, Princess?” I think she could tell that I obviously hadn’t but I said no and she gave me a little pep talk which was really sweet and told me I should try again next year. She was a little gift that I needed in that moment.

I waited for the bus with some of the fast people who had their medals and ears while I sat there (trying to avoid negative self talk and calling myself names here). I was happy I would make it back to the hotel with enough time to order breakfast room service since my DH was still golfing. Even though I didn’t finish the race, I had still gone 12+ miles (over 14, including all the pre and post race walking) so I was rightfully hungry. I ordered room service, took a shower, and chilled— mostly following my neighbors on the tracker. They had DNF’d Dopey during the marathon in 2020 because of the heat (they made it to mile 15 that year), and I was really rooting for them to finish. And they did!!! Yay.

My DH got back from golf, and shortly after my parents arrived. I was hoping we could bowl at Splitsville but there was no way I would be able to wear normal shoes for days with my blisters (I still have 2, two weeks later). I put my half marathon medal on since I had practically done another half that day and we headed to Disney Springs. My mom is a nurse and brought me some blister stuff to help care for my feet. She told me we didn’t have to walk much if I didn’t want to, but my legs were honestly feeling okay and my feet were tolerable in my Oofos, even though I had to go slowly. I felt silly walking like I was around DS while many people with marathon medals looked like they had fresh legs. I didn’t feel super hungry, but we ate at House of Blues. I ordered the plant-based burger and finished it all so I suppose I was hungry. After we walked around and shopped. My parents used to live in Orlando and my dad would come to DS and the various parks daily to just walk around and exercise. He hadn’t been back since they moved to Tampa a few years ago, I think, so he enjoyed seeing what was different. We went back to Sugarboo and also the big Disney store, where I got a Hercules and Pegasus pin to commemorate our half marathon costumes.
(Image description: My mom and I wearing Steampunk hats that I regret not purchasing.)

(Image description:Selfie of me with my earidescent pin fanny pack. I have a memento mori pin, a fairy tale books pin, a MW pin, and a Hercules and Pegasus pin. My DH is peeking in on the picture.)

Eventually my parents drove us back to the hotel, and I don’t remember much about what I did that evening. I took another ice bath using my runDisney gear check bag hack and then an epsom salt bath because we planned on doing MK the next day. I read about people’s successful races on Facebook, Instagram, and here. I went to bed, grateful that I did not have to wake up at 2 am.

By the end of the day, I had 39,306 steps (18.9 miles). I failed at the Goofy Challenge but I tried. Would I have finished, despite my inadequate training, if the marathon had been my only race over the weekend? Maybe. I did make it 25.1 miles over the two days, and I would have been starting on fresh legs— and mostly importantly— feet. I obviously need to train better if I attempt again. And “get my head in the game.” If anyone has any other feedback for me, I welcome it!

(Image description: My split times. Overall, I made it 11.7 miles in 3:11:12 with an average 16:21 pace.)

Last edited:
On a side note, comparing my heart rate info between the two races is interesting. For the half marathon, I spent 50% of the time in Zone 5 and 47% of the time in Zone 4. My top speed was 6.3 mph and my average moving speed was 3.9 mph. For the full attempt, I spent 0% of the time in Zone 5, 64% of the time Zone 4, and 35% of the time in Zone 3. My top speed was 6.5 mph and my average moving speed was 3.7 mph.

Saturday:641187

Sunday:

I assume the difference is because my intervals were different— I went from (I think) 60:45 in the half to 30:90 in the full attempt. It seems like if I am only running for 30 seconds at a time, with longer walks, my heart rate stays a lot lower. And then obviously I was walking a lot more at the end. But for the first few miles of the race my paces were not that much different between days even though my intervals were. If anyone has any insight on this for me, I’d appreciate it as I am trying to find a good interval balance for me for when I train for my Olympic triathlon. Ideally I’d like to be able to run for longer without my heart rate escalating so much— back when I was fitter I would do 3 min run, 1 min walk intervals. But maybe it’s better to keep the runs shorter? I don’t know!

Last edited:
I really appreciate your M race recap. It's admirable you toed the line and gave it a good shot. In the end, it doesn't seem like it did any lasting physical damage. Hopefully you made some mental gains towards your next effort. Chin up and reload for the next one.

On a side note, comparing my heart rate info between the two races is interesting. For the half marathon, I spent 50% of the time in Zone 5 and 47% of the time in Zone 4. My top speed was 6.3 mph and my average moving speed was 3.9 mph. For the full attempt, I spent 0% of the time in Zone 5, 64% of the time Zone 4, and 35% of the time in Zone 3. My top speed was 6.5 mph and my average moving speed was 3.7 mph.

Saturday:View attachment 641187
View attachment 641190

Sunday:
View attachment 641189
View attachment 641191

I assume the difference is because my intervals were different— I went from (I think) 60:45 in the half to 30:90 in the full attempt. It seems like if I am only running for 30 seconds at a time, with longer walks, my heart rate stays a lot lower. And then obviously I was walking a lot more at the end. But for the first few miles of the race my paces were not that much different between days even though my intervals were. If anyone has any insight on this for me, I’d appreciate it as I am trying to find a good interval balance for me for when I train for my Olympic triathlon. Ideally I’d like to be able to run for longer without my heart rate escalating so much— back when I was fitter I would do 3 min run, 1 min walk intervals. But maybe it’s better to keep the runs shorter? I don’t know!

I suspect your HR ranges are set up wrong. I find it hard to believe you did that much running in Zone 4/5. That would be intense. Look through your Garmin running history and find maxHRs from runs that aren't erroneous spikes (like the spike you see at 3:11 in your last graph looks like an erroneous spike). I suspect your maxHR is higher than 194 bpm you saw in the runs this past weekend.

As for interval suggestions, if you can give me some recent race results I can see what my calculator suggests. But I think in that general pace range you'll find either a 30s walk or 15s walk to be more beneficial. I think the duration matters of the run relative to the rest. So a 90/90 at 10:00/18:00 would be the same average pace as a 15/15 at 10:00/18:00, but I suspect the body would respond to them differently (15/15 would likely be easier on the body in the long term of the run).

1) This was a great race report. One of the best (and proper) attitudes I've seen from someone who DNF'ed a race.
2) You don't need my advice, you seem to be in a good place emotionally, but one exercise I always try to do when I'm disappointed, is to imagine I heard this story about someone else and not me: How would I react to that person? If you heard someone ran almost 2 half marathons, over 2 days, on blisters that were frankly INSANE on that second day, you'd be impressed wouldn't you? I am for sure. That takes incredible toughness.
3) You looked great in your costumes, both days, and that counts for a lot!
4) I am not a physician and thankfully have never had a blister problem but you really need to sort that out if you are going to continue distance running! Yes it's obvious but this needs to be job 1. That is an unusual amount of blistering, in my unprofessional opinion. Most runners I know get calluses but once you are running regularly it's odd to get new blisters like that in a race, once you've been training for any period of time.

Training Recap January 17-23

I am not actively training for anything. This was my first week back to working out after my Goofy attempt (I took the previous week off entirely). My goals at the moment are consistency and weight loss. Although this week was more about getting back into it than either of those.

Monday, January 17
  • Bike: Peloton 15 min ABBA ride (3.93 miles, 86 kJ total output)
  • Bike: Peloton 5 min cool down ride (1.18 miles, 23 kJ total output)
This was the first day of the spring semester, which would usually be a long day but that was somewhat mitigated by the level 2 snowstorm. I got to teach online which saved me over 90 minutes of driving.

Tuesday, January 18
  • Yoga: 45 minute Yoga/Pilates Fusion class
I expected this class to be really hard but I did surprisingly well and barely broke a sweat. Either I wasn’t trying hard enough or I am stronger than I thought I was. My teacher said it was the latter.

Wednesday, January 19

I was supposed to either do a 20 min walk or Peloton ride this day but my car broke down on the way to work and the day ended up being a disaster. (My key literally broke off in the ignition. What the heck? I bought the key 10 months ago and when we called the seller about it they said “they all break.” Anyway, I am terrified of driving now.)

Thursday, January 20

Scheduled rest day. Very busy day so I did not try to make up for the previous day’s missed workout. I met with my fitness coach, and we talked about goals for the next two months. We are going to focus on weight loss and strength building (especially in core and upper body), while maintaining whatever cardio fitness I have from the races with some maintenance runs and bikes. I also want to spend more time hiking— more on that in a minute— so I will be doing that one time a week. My strength goal/unit of measurement will be getting headstand pose. I was close to it last August but haven’t tried in a few months.

I also met with my dissertation coach, who gave me a pep talk that I think should have been recorded as a TedTalk. It was very inspiring. We also did a helpful exercise to help me work past some negative self-talk and recognize the effects/harms such mindsets are having on me.

Friday, January 21
  • Bike: Peloton 30 min Disney (!) ride (8.18 miles, 182 kJ total output)
  • Strength: Peloton 10 minute Arms & Light Weights class (3 lb weights)
I loveddd this Disney ride so much. It had so many good songs (minus You‘ve Got a Friend in Me... I’m not a Toy Store fan… don’t @ me). It was a mix of hills and flat roads with slow resistance increases. It was so fun, and I PR’d my total output! I will definitely be coming back to this ride. I felt good after so I spontaneously added the 10 min Arms & Light Weights class even though it wasn’t on my schedule. I enjoyed it and wasn’t too sore afterward.

I also did some deep work sessions on my dissertation this day virtually with a friend.

Saturday, January 22
  • Yoga: 50 minute Deep Stretch class
  • Hike (1/52): 1.1 miles, 31:20
At the beginning of 2022, I registered for the 52 hike challenge. The goal is straightforward— go on 52 hikes (of at least 1 mile) in 2022. That equates to 1 p/ week. I am behind because this was my first of the year, but I will hopefully be doing some backpacking trips that will help me catch up. This was an easy, slow hike. DH and I took our two younger dogs to a trail path around a lake. There is a spot on the lake’s beach with a dog park so we stopped to let them frolick. It was cold but felt nice.
(Image description: My dog and I at the dog park. We are both bundled up. I am standing with my hands on my hips with a concerned look on my face… what was I thinking about? Probably my dissertation.)

I didn’t do any dissertation work (or other work) on this day. I am trying to keep my Saturdays free of work to avoid burnout and resentment. I love my job and am passionate about my writing, but I have found that having to do work every single day is wearing me down mentally. A book I read last year, The Power of Ritual, inspired me to try taking Saturdays off so we shall see how it goes. An important part of this for me will be not working AND not allowing myself to feel guilty for not working. I often find that my rest is not truly rest because I am so preoccupied with all that I should be doing

Sunday, January 23
  • Yoga: 50 minute heated Power Flow class
  • Walk: 1.1 miles, 33:01
Whatever confidence I gained in myself after Tuesday’s yoga class was lost today. This class was hard and I was SO sweaty. I think the room was heated though. Even though it was difficult, and I skipped some chaturangas, I think I did okay. I felt stable in all of the crescent lunges which we did A LOT of. Usually that’s a wobblier pose for me.

The walk was a leisurely stroll in my neighborhood with my two older dogs who are slow going. They like to stop and smell the roses (or in today’s case, snow).
(Image description: Me walking my oldest dog down a snowy sidewalk. He looks happy.)

I spent the evening trying to channel my old undergraduate self who had the ability to write and work manically until 4 or 5 am with ease. I really need to get this dissertation chapter done, like now. Unfortunately I started fading at 1 am and could no longer focus on the word doc. But this chapter is at 27 pages and is almost there! I need to submit it tomorrow!

TOTALS
Bike: 13.3 miles (50 min)
Hike: 1.1 miles (31 min)
Run: n/a
Walk: 1.1 miles (33 min)
Yoga: 3 classes (2 hrs 25 min)
Strength: 1x (10 min)

Exercise Time: 4 hrs 29 min
Dissertation: 8 trees*, 3 hrs 35 min
*Trees refers to an app I used called Forest. I set a timer and work for that amount of time with no distractions. As a result, a tree grows! If I use my phone during that time the tree dies. I often forget to start growing trees after taking breaks so this isn’t a completely accurate representation of my work time this week. It’s missing a few hours.

When I look at these overall times, I question what I have been doing. Probably reading these message boards. I need to get my act together!

Last edited:
I really appreciate your M race recap. It's admirable you toed the line and gave it a good shot.
Thank you! :)
I suspect your HR ranges are set up wrong. I find it hard to believe you did that much running in Zone 4/5. That would be intense.
I looked at some past data and it seemed pretty similar. I’ll keep an eye on it once I start running again.
As for interval suggestions, if you can give me some recent race results I can see what my calculator suggests. But I think in that general pace range you'll find either a 30s walk or 15s walk to be more beneficial.
These races are the only ones I’ve really done in quite awhile. My half marathon time was 3 hours and 30 minutes if that helps at all. I wouldn’t say I was really “racing” though— I was taking it conservatively.
You looked great in your costumes, both days, and that counts for a lot!
Thank you! I am already dreaming up future outfits… I find them so fun!
Most runners I know get calluses but once you are running regularly it's odd to get new blisters like that in a race, once you've been training for any period of time.
Yeah, I definitely get callouses too. I think tape works better for me than moleskine, because I got a blister under my moleskine but have not had that happen with tape. I didn’t get too many blisters in training (even with moleskine) but I did get hot spots (and one problem where I had a muscle knot I think as a result from how I had used the blister tape, which is why I used the moleskine this weekend). My feet are a disaster and have so many problems… extremely high arches, sensitive skin/blisters/callouses, tailor’s bunions… I definitely need to figure it out.

These races are the only ones I’ve really done in quite awhile. My half marathon time was 3 hours and 30 minutes if that helps at all. I wouldn’t say I was really “racing” though— I was taking it conservatively.

3:15 HM fitness level
Screen Shot 2022-01-24 at 9.16.13 AM.png

3:30 HM fitness level
Screen Shot 2022-01-24 at 9.15.36 AM.png

Looks like the calculator is suggesting something in the 20/30 run/walk range if you're walking pace is around a 18-19 min/mile. Your easy days should be in the 17:30-18:30 pace range.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter