Upcoming Budget Cuts - Please Read

CoasterFEV

Mouseketeer
As a result of the MASSIVE downturn in the economy here in Central Florida, Universal began preparations yesterday for an aggressive plan to reduce expenses. Similar plans are being prepared at both Disney and the Busch parks.

I apologize, in advance, for what is coming folks - but if any of you have visited the parks since last weeks tragedy, you would understand why this needs to happen. Daily park attendance is down 30% - and all the theme parks here in Florida need to take drastic steps immediately in order to stay in business.

I will elaborate more on the steps that will be taken tomorrow, once the information becomes public. However, the expense cuts will include:

Operating hours of 9am to 6pm DAILY (including weekends)
Temporary elimination of early openings starting 10/07
Major changes to Express for non on-site guests
Reduced attraction operating hours
Temporary closure of select attractions.

The theme parks are taking a HUGE hit due to the sudden downturn of the US economy. Universal has made a committment to its employees to do everything possible to avoid layoffs.

All changes will take effect September 30th and will last until further notice (i.e. - when business starts coming back to Florida).

Once again, I apologize. I'll let everyone know the details tomorrow.

I think I can handle those cutbacks, thanks for the heads up CoasterFEV. Should we be worried about HHN?

This is a time for all of us who LOVE Universal (or any other theme park for that matter) to make an extra effort to visit and show our support.

In the process ww will give our spirits a much needed lift. I believe that theme parks like Universal and IOA are a manifestation of what is best in the American character: Optimism, faith in the future, a commitment to excellence, the celebration of family, and so much else that makes America a shining example to the rest of the world.

I leave next week for an around the world trip, but when I get back in early November, I'll be down at Universal first chance I get! See you all there.

Can't stop us from coming down in November. Unless they manage to blow up I-95 somewhere between Pennsylvania and Florida. HRH and FOTL here we come.
Eric

Will these "cuts" affect Halloween Horror Nights in any way? If so what will they be?

THANKS (SPIELBERG FAN)

HHN will definitely NOT be affected in any way. This is one of the most profitable events in Universal history. At this time, all plans for ALL HHN activities are on as scheduled!

Here is the first portion of the changes:

The following attractions will be closed until further notice beginning on Sunday, September 30th, 2001:

Kongfrontation
Fieval's Water Slide

Triceratops Encounter
Storm Force Accelatron

Why on earth would they close Storm Force? It only takes one person to run that thing.

Just got some more information for everyone:

Effective September 30th, the following IOA restaurants will be closed until further notice:

Confisco's
Captain America's (usually closed during the off season anyway)
Thunder Falls
Circus McGurkis (sp?)
also plenty of food carts will also be closing throughout the islands.

I am sure there will also be Merchandise locations that will also be closing, as well as food locations throughout USF. I'll let you know when I get more details.

In terms of attractions:

Poseidon's Fury will ONLY be open from 12noon until 5:30pm - with only 18 shows per day.

Sindbad will only be presenting 2 shows per day.

Actually, Storm Force requires a few people to run. You need someone to say the load spiel and press the button to operate, you need one person to direct people where to do, and you need one person by the exit to watch for people who try to leave the ride while it's running.

I thought IOA had too many food carts around. At Marvel Super Hero Island, I think I counted at least four stands in between the Hulk and Spiderman! :)

Effective September 30th, the following IOA restaurants will be closed until further notice:Confisco's
Captain America's (usually closed during the off season anyway)
Thunder Falls
Circus McGurkis (sp?)
That's too bad. Confisco's is one of our favorite places to grab a bite at IOA and we really like Thunder Falls too. Wouldn't they save more money by just opening the parks an hour later or closing an hour earlier...or are they going to do that too? I hate to say it, but if they continue to close restaurants AND attractions AND reduce park hours, I'm going to request a partial refund on our annual passes.

Poseidon's Fury will ONLY be open from 12noon until 5:30pm - with only 18 shows per day.
They should just cut it to 10 shows per day and use the money they save to keep Storm Force open.

We are working hard to keep the excitement up for our very first Universal Trip on 10/11.

I am sure that we will have a great time, but I am starting to feel a little discouraged.

OK folks, here's the total rundown:

Once again, these changes are only temporary - with the current plan is to have the parks back to their current operation in time for the Christmas holidays. Unfortunately, the Orlando parks are so empty right now that many theme park workers are in danger of losing their jobs. Universal has made a committment to do everything possible to avoid layoffs - stating that we will need our employees in a few months once business (hopefully) picks back up. For those of you from the Central Florida area, I'm sure you know the crisis down here due to the drop in tourism and the number of conventions that have cancelled.

--------------------------------------------------

Universal Express will be CLOSED starting Sunday, 9/23/01 until further notice. There will be no way to reserve a place in line (mainly because there ARE no lines). All kiosks will be covered up and signs will read "No Express passes available."

Early Park Openings (8am on select days) will be DISCONTINUED starting Sunday, 10/07/01 until further notice.

Parks will be open from 9am to 6pm daily (with the exception of USF closing a bit earlier during HHN). Parks will not be open any later than 6pm on any day (including weekends)

I've already mentioned the restaurants closing and a few of the attractions - here's the complete list with operating hours:

The below attraction operating hours are effective Sun. 9/30/01:

IOA:
Hulk: Open 9am to 6pm
Storm Force: Closed until further notice
Doctor Doom: Open 10am to 5pm
Spiderman: Open 9am to 6pm
Ripsaw Falls: Open 9:30am to 6pm
Bluto's: Open 10am to 6pm
Me Ship: Open 10am to 6pm
Camp Jurassic: Open 11am to 5pm
Pteranodon Flyers: Open 11am to 5pm
River Adventure: Open 9:30am to 6pm
Triceratops: Closed until further notice
Discovery Center: Open 11am to 5pm (same as Burger Digs hrs)
Unicorn: Open 11am to 5pm
Dragons: Open 9:30am to 6pm WITH ONLY ONE SIDE OPERATING AT A TIME (will switch between Fire & Ice each hour)
Sinbad: 2 shows per day + 2 meet & greets per day
Poseidon: Open 12pm to 5:30pm (18 shows per day)
Caroseussel: Open 9am to 5pm
One Fish: Open 9am to 6pm
Cat: Open 9am to 6pm
Zoo: Open 11am to 5pm

USF:
(honestly, I don't know too much since I am based at IOA, however here's what I know)
Kong: Closed until further notice
Feival's water slide: Closed until further notice

Look for west-side attractions (Jaws, Quake, etc) opening at 10am. 30-minute show cycles at T2.
Wild West & Beetlejuice only 2 shows per day.

-----------------------------------------------------

The mood among ALL theme park employees in Orlando is very somber right now - and, before you start bashing these decisions - please remember that Universal is a company doing everything possible to insure that, with the current crisis our country is in, that it's employees will still have jobs and some way to support their families.

I will not be posting any more to this thread in anticipation of TONS of negative responses. I only hope things change soon to Orlando's economy.

- CoasterFEV

This is really sad. I can't believe they are going to only one run coaster at a time on the Duelling Dragons?!?

I hate to do it, but if all this really happens Universal is going to be giving us a partial refund on our annual passes or they will be extending the expiration date an amount of time equal to the time that the parks are not operating normally.

This is really sad. I can't believe they are going to only one run coaster at a time on the Duelling Dragons?!?

I hate to do it, but if all this really happens Universal is going to be giving us a partial refund on our annual passes or they will be extending the expiration date an amount of time equal to the time that the parks are not operating normally.

Could you be anymore petty ans selfish at a time like this? Get real johare, our country is in a state of crisis and all your worried about is how Universal is going to reimburse you? Do us all a favor and don't renew your annual pass. :mad: :mad: :mad:

My best friend lost his job @ Portofino today, they slashed between 40 and 50 middle management positions.

The hotel has had an average occupency nightly of 7%. They are losing lots of money.

Americans need to stop freaking out.......we Americans are doing exactly what the terrorist want, the destruction of our economy is going to throw us into the worst economic times this nation has ever seen.......we're doing it to ourselves!!:mad:

RIP Dueling Dragons. For them to be forced to cut back an attraction like this, things must be worse than I thought. :(
---
Oh, it just occurred to me.. will the non-operating side still be at least dispatching empty trains? At least you'd still get the dueling aspect.

Could you be anymore petty ans selfish at a time like this? Get real johare, our country is in a state of crisis
I've given to the Red Cross and donated my time thru my company for relief efforts. How much have you given or donated? Have you given blood?

If you paid for a yearly subscription to the Newspaper would it be ok if they said "because of reduced revenues you will not receive the paper on Tuesdays and every other Friday"?

If you paid for AAA membership would it be ok if they said "Due to increased tourism you will need to make a copayment of $20 should you need a service call and maps will now cost $2"?

If you pay your insurance premium is it ok if your insurance company reduces your coverage levels for the period you have already paid for to "cover their losses"?

The fact is if you pay for something you should receive what you pay for. I paid for a pass to the parks and expect to receive what I paid for. It would cost nothing for Universal to extend my pass by a couple months, in fact they would probably make more money from me. It's not acceptable to reduce benefits for something which has already been purchased.

all your worried about is how Universal is going to reimburse you? Do us all a favor and don't renew your annual pass
Why is it ok for Universal to worry about their financial situation, yet if I show concern for what I've paid for you feel that it's petty? Why not call Universal petty?!? They certainly seem worried about their money just like I do or they wouldn't be reducing employee hours and closing attractions which only take 1 or 2 people to run.

My best friend lost his job @ Portofino today, they slashed between 40 and 50 middle management positions.
That's strange...I've been trying to book a room at HRH or PBH for the weekend of October 6th and they are saying that HRH is completely sold out and that no discounted rooms are available at PBH. Last time I called was on Tuesday...maybe I need to check again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter