UPDATE in post #34: "Time Sensitive Information about Your Disney Vacation Club Membership"

Wow. I paid only $73 for my SSR contract. If I wanted to just sell, and not replace, I might consider it just to make it easier! But, alas, I want my points!! LOL
For people that purchased SSR and OKW many years ago, the Disney prices may be very tempting...especially if they do not know about the resale market!

I am curious to hear which other properties Disney is interested in by sending emails besides SSR, OKW, and AKV.

I hope people post on here when they get an email from Disney about their property that has not been listed on here yet!

I was offered $98.15 per point for 400 points at SSR. Is that a good offer? I had problems understanding the CM’s accent. I am going to call back today to see if they will clarify the offer and maybe raise their offer.
For people with large contracts that are may be hard to sell on the resale market, the Disney prices may be very enticing if Disney is quick to close!

FYI, this is what DVC Resale Market would offer for your contract on an instant sale...but you still have to pay closing costs, 2021 dues, and 9% commission. (Board sponsor)
$47,600
$119 per point
Instant Sale

I was offered $98.15 per point for 400 points at SSR. Is that a good offer? I had problems understanding the CM’s accent. I am going to call back today to see if they will clarify the offer and maybe raise their offer.

The cheapest price right now on the board sponsor for a stripped contract is 119. At 9% commission (4284), that's 108.9 to you. That 10.14/point difference (4056), over 4K on 400 points. That's over 8K saved to Disney instead of buying at ROFR. Plus all the closing that Disney is capable of doing already.

It's worth 4K to me to go through ROFR, where Disney might buy it anyway. Thought the board sponsor is the biggest, and who I would generally use as a seller, there are brokers that have slightly lower commission, which I might consider for a contract of this size.

I'd be interested in the counteroffer process. I mean, if you tell them I'm about to list 400 points at 119, it's not like they don't know its about to be on their ROFR desk. Seems like they'd want to do title and broker fees in house, now that they're in the resale business.

Last edited:
The cheapest price right now on the board sponsor for a stripped contract is 119. At 9% commission (4284), that's 108.9 to you. That 10.14/point difference (4056), over 4K on 400 points. That's over 8K saved to Disney instead of buying at ROFR.

It's worth 4K to me to go through ROFR, where Disney might buy it anyway. Thought the board sponsor is the biggest, and who I would generally use as a seller, there are brokers that have slightly lower commission, which I might consider for a contract of this size.

I'd be interested in the counteroffer process. I mean, if you tell them I'm about to list 400 points at 119, it's not like they don't know its about to be on their ROFR desk. Seems like they'd want to do title and broker fees in house, now that they're in the resale business.
I think there's a big assumption here that a 400 point contract will be easily snatched up in the resale market. There's some similar listings on the sponsor's site in the 300 to 500 point range that are more than a month old, a couple of which whose prices have been reduced (and reduced again). I'm sure Disney also knows that and may not budget much on their offer. I think any type of counter-offering will probably be a function of how long their waitlist is and their actual inventory. Despite all this, if OP isn't in a hurry then I'm with you, I think it's definitely worth putting out there in the resale market first, but just be aware that it may be a while until any offers come through.

I think there's a big assumption here that a 400 point contract will be easily snatched up in the resale market. There's some similar listings on the sponsor's site in the 300 to 500 point range that are more than a month old, a couple of which whose prices have been reduced (and reduced again). I'm sure Disney also knows that and may not budget much on their offer. I think any type of counter-offering will probably be a function of how long their waitlist is and their actual inventory. Despite all this, if OP isn't in a hurry then I'm with you, I think it's definitely worth putting out there in the resale market first, but just be aware that it may be a while until any offers come through.

It might take a minute, but massive contracts can and do move. A 100K BLT one just went for not much off market pricing.

119 is already very low, I'd argue already priced to sell. But sure, mark it down more. Change the math to 117 or 115, and my point is the same.

Oh, and obviously you'd transfer out all the points and strip. Selling loaded contracts to Disney is an even worse value.

I think they mean by next years points, are you able to transfer 100% of those, even though you can only borrow 50%

Yes. The borrowing rule does not impact transfer because those points, once transferred can’t be borrowed so one doesn’t impact the other.

I'm not sure why it matters what someone paid for their purchase. If you sell at $88, you're getting $88, whether you bought at $60 or $120.

I get that it might feel better in one case than the other, but at the end of the day it doesn't change the number on the check Disney will write you.

I'm not sure why it matters what someone paid for their purchase. If you sell at $88, you're getting $88, whether you bought at $60 or $120.

I get that it might feel better in one case than the other, but at the end of the day it doesn't change the number on the check Disney will write you.

For me, the point was more I went into DVC not expecting or needing to get my purchase price back.

So, getting more than what I paid and end up having gotten all those Disney trips for the price of the dues would be a huge win.

But, you are correct that it doesn’t change the check…just how you might view it in the scheme of your DVC journey.

For me, the point was more I went into DVC not expecting or needing to get my purchase price back.

So, getting more than what I paid and end up having gotten all those Disney trips for the price of the dues would be a huge win.

But, you are correct that it doesn’t change the check…just how you might view it in the scheme of your DVC journey.
I agree with Sandi, it's psychological thing I guess, everyone likes to think they have made a profit on a purchase,( and had some great trips at the same time!) it makes them feel better.

This is an interesting thread, I also received the same email with the offer to buy back my SSR contract. Wondering whether they just send out these emails randomly to DVC member or is there a target group ?

This is an interesting thread, I also received the same email with the offer to buy back my SSR contract. Wondering whether they just send out these emails randomly to DVC member or is there a target group ?

I wondered the same thing. I did not get one for my SSR points. The interesting part is that at first, I thought it had to do specifically with OKW and trying to get more owners who never signed the quit claim deed or pay for the extension to sell.

Now it appears they just want to build there inventory of the larger resorts...OKW, SSR, and AKV...to have to sell since these seem to be the resorts people have mentioned owning who have gotten these emails!

I didn't receive that email and I didn't sign the quitclaim. that said, seeing how Disney is nickel and diming us to death with the demise of magical express, paid fastpass, pay per ride scheme, separate (EXPENSIVE) ticket for evenings with parades/fireworks etc, I may rethink whether I want to continue to own in this environment especially with the dearth of perks for being owners.

IF I decided to sell it would turn into a purely financial decision as to sell to Disney vs the open market. Looks like at the present time it would be a no brainer to list it with a broker and if Disney RFOR'd it who cares as I would still get paid.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter