Update on Matt's progress to University

wayneg

Tried to find the old thread with his previous qualifications but can't find it.

I think its easier to link to Matt's blog for him to explain in his own words, I know I will get it wrong of I try explain.

He needs AAB to get into Lancaster Uni, early indications are heading towards A*AAA but still final exams to do in a couple of months. Apart from a slight hiccup in Sociology Unit 1 he is on course for good grades.

http://mathewgillings.wordpress.com/2012/03/08/results-day-march-2012/

Great results - you must be very proud of him.

Good luck for his final exams in a couple of months time.

That's great news, well done Matt ! No wonder you are so proud of him Wayne

:wizard: Lots of luck in your final exams Matt :wizard:

great results, it doesn't sound as though the sociology mark is too much of a problem other than the fact he doesn't like seeing a C on the sheet! I think I'd need a degree just to work out what I still needed to do! Wishing him well for his final exams.

great results, it doesn't sound as though the sociology mark is too much of a problem other than the fact he doesn't like seeing a C on the sheet! I think I'd need a degree just to work out what I still needed to do! Wishing him well for his final exams.

I think working out these scores are just as difficult as the exams themselves, I think I understand but not certain.

When you consider Matt goes to one of the best schools in the country and his results in unit 2 were 118/120 & unit 3 79/80 (both best in the schools history) unit 1 C is a poor grade, although he does get to keep the B he already had 1st time around. He now needs to get 61/120 in unit 4 to gain A overall unless he re-sits unit 1 for a 2nd time:teacher: There is an incentive from Lancaster Uni if he gets A* they give him £1,000 towards his fees.

Just had a text from him, after talking to his tutor he is considering re-sitting English language coursework, he already has A but she can see how he can improve.

Good luck to Matt. I'm sure that he'll get the grades that he needs! :thumbsup2 You must be really proud of him! :goodvibes Is Matt part of the gifted and talented programme? DD is and I seem to remember there was some info. about it helping them get into universities of their choice!

DD decided to change colleges during her first year, so we're a year behind you so I guess this time next year we'll be going through this! :confused: Although I think that she might be leaning on going to stage school.

Good luck to Matt. I'm sure that he'll get the grades that he needs! :thumbsup2 You must be really proud of him! :goodvibes Is Matt part of the gifted and talented programme? DD is and I seem to remember there was some info. about it helping them get into universities of their choice!

DD decided to change colleges during her first year, so we're a year behind you so I guess this time next year we'll be going through this! :confused: Although I think that she might be leaning on going to stage school.

He was part of Gifted & Talented at his previous school while doing GCSE's. Does the scheme continue thru A level years? if it does then maybe the school he is at now doesn't embrace it like his last school. Possibly due to his GCSE school being an under-achieving school and needing to participate in the scheme for the high achieving students. His current school I guess they are all gifted and talented, 99.9% of students progressing to University. http://www.education.gov.uk/cgi-bin/schools/performance/school.pl?urn=136283
Matt is obviously talented and we are very(very very) proud of him but a mention must go to his teachers, from starting at Junior school right thru to his A-levels they have been outstanding.

well done Matt, good luck with your final Exams :wizard:

He was part of Gifted & Talented at his previous school while doing GCSE's. Does the scheme continue thru A level years? if it does then maybe the school he is at now doesn't embrace it like his last school. Possibly due to his GCSE school being an under-achieving school and needing to participate in the scheme for the high achieving students. His current school I guess they are all gifted and talented, 99.9% of students progressing to University. http://www.education.gov.uk/cgi-bin/schools/performance/school.pl?urn=136283
Matt is obviously talented and we are very(very very) proud of him but a mention must go to his teachers, from starting at Junior school right thru to his A-levels they have been outstanding.

To be honest Wayne I don't really know that much about it! :confused3 DD was asked if she wanted to be a part of it after she got really high scores on her year 7 exams. She agreed to be a part of it but never really did anything. The only thing I remember was being told that if she became a member it would help her to get into the university of her choice!

I agree with you that outstanding, enthusiastic teachers can have a huge impact on a young persons education. Both of my parents were teachers so I have a lot of respect for dedicated teachers! :goodvibes

Well done Matt!
Must be such a pressure doing all those exams, hope it continues to go well :goodvibes

Good to hear Wayne,

Fingers crossed he gets the grades he needs to get into his first choice uni :)

:goodvibes

I have been following Matt's blog since last summer.
He should be very proud of his achievements.

Fingers crossed for the grades and stars colliding :thumbsup2

Well done Matt :banana: :banana: :banana: wishing you continued good luck! :thumbsup2
She agreed to be a part of it but never really did anything.

My youngest DD is part of it too but apart from being initially selected nothing seems any different than with my other DDs! We always tease her and say if she's G&T then we dread to think what the others are like! :rotfl:

Good Luck with your remaining exams Matt - I'm sure you'll do great! :thumbsup2

Fingers crossed he will get into Lancaster. The Uni lifestyle there is really good & if he was looking for work there are plenty of part time jobs available.

Good to hear that he is on track for getting the results he needs:yay:
I take it Lancaster is his first choice uni then?

Good Luck for results day in August:thumbsup2

I take it Lancaster is his first choice uni then?

Yes, he narrowed it down to Leeds, Newcastle or Lancaster.
He liked the look of their English Language study abroad course, will do 2nd year at North Carolina Chapel Hill Uni.

By the way Wayne, I did BA (Hons) English Language so I'm happy to answer any questions that Matt may have about the course/department in general. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter