"Upgrading" an almost 10 year old to adult

My oldest son falls into this category as well...he's always been a good eater:) Last year, he'd eat his meal and then share mine...as has been said the adult CS meals are huge at most places and easily shared...saves more room for me to justify deserts we are entitled to:lmao:

I posted recently about our 9 yr old having a "healthy" appetite as well.
I was worried about his choices as well. I solved it by making ADR's at places like Biergarten, Boma, and Ohanas (family style) I did this about everyother day so that he would have more choices. We plan on sharing our 3 adult DDPr's counter services with him for lunch.
Also using our 4/3 Disney 200$ GC for some OOP breakfasts sit downs.
Good Luck and Do What's right for you:)

To be honest our son was most unhappy with his TS meal choices. There was a huge difference between what he and his brother (on the adult plan) could order. Even signature places that had grilled chicken were not good. The chicken was bland, dry, etc. I tasted it myself at the Brown Derby. Very different than the food on the adult menu. Also, the TS portions were pretty small.

To the poster that said CMs will "work with you" if your child doesn't like anything on the kids menu, this was NOT our experience. At TS meals the credits are seperate (adult and child). There was no way any CM would have let us get an adult meal with our child's credit, no matter how much he hated the choices. I'm not sure about CS places. We have not done CS in a while because we do the deluxe plan now. The only CS meal we ate last trip we paid cash OOP for because we added an extra signature and dropped a 1 credit TS lunch. I even ordered an adult meal for my DD 6. If you're paying cash, you can order whatever you like. :goodvibes

This has been very interesting to read. I am considering upgrading my DS8 as well. One thought that hasn't been mentioned about TS meals is that the child's meal is generally prepared differently, without glazes, sauces, spices, and flavor. My DS really appreciates flavorful food and I have heard more than once about bland children's pasta and dry grilled chicken.

I understand that many people do buffets and thus the TS side of the equation doesn't compute, but if you have an adult that is mostly a salad eater and a child that can easily eat an adult portion of filet or salmon, then upgrading may make sense.

For our situation, I think upgrading the CS meals makes good sense too. Everyone is right, there is so much food to share. So why not get another shareworthy CS? For my family of 3, that would equate to another "shared meal" for every two days, which for ease of planning could be really nice on vacation. JMHO.

I was honestly very unimpressed with a lot of cs choices on the kids menus. Now granted my 3 year old grandson is picky, but he loves chicken nuggets and he didn't like them at all. I tasted one and didn't like it either.
He also has health problems and can hav NO fruit,juice or high fructose corn syrup and very little corn syrup.
Last time we were not on the dining plan and this time we will be. I noticed that most of the childrens menus say you can substitute fries for a side, but what about the other side?
I am going to ask disney when I make my adrs, but I am a little worried as he LOVES pizza and they all come with brown sugar apples. I hope they will be able to offer substitutes?
OP I would upgrade if I could afford it, as it will make your vacaton less stressful and more enjoyable. If not, scour the menus and figure out where you can get things your child likes, share meals and use her child c.s. credits for shared breakfasts at c.s. locations, main street bakery, epcot pastries etc.
They can also be used for shared snacks at Caseys for corndog nuggets or the fish shop in epcot (found all these clues from readers on these boards!)

We're just days away from going now. I believe we can make the TS meals work - both with the buffet and family-style dining, and with specifically requesting that they DO add some spices and such to my daughter's plates. She, too, is used to flavourful food, and won't thank them for plain white chicken and naked pasta, or a glop of tasteless red sauce. I am just working my hardest at being positive that when we tell them she loves garlic and zing, they'll hear us, and give her something tasty that they work with from the kids' menus. And that CS is going to work out at the restaurants without kids' menus, which I'm going to hit wherever possible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter