US & Canada PTR - 2 sleeps to go, wow

What day of the week/time do you get to Dulles?

We booked a private transfer from Dulles as it was our first stop after the long haul from Sydney, we were arriving really late and I knew we'd be exhausted.

Its a long way out of the city and if you're likely to clash with peak hour traffic I think I'd be inclined to go for the fixed price of the transfer.

Cant help you with Boston, sorry. We had a rental car and drove Into the city. We did fly out of Boston Logan though, and my (admittedly fuzzy) recollection was it wasn't that far out of town?

Andona

Goody-can't wait for you to go too so we all get the fun of "travelling with you" and viewing all your stunning pics. On Dulles, we didn't need to cab as we trained from NYC but from my research last year I would second a private transfer for fixed cost rather than a cab-especially if its is likely to clash with peak hours and given you're a larger family (numbers/luggage-just realised that could be misinterpreted....).

Hey there - Wow, it sounds like you have a fantastic trip planned! I figured I would comment and return the favor of advice that you offered me on my trip to Australia. I've spent a great deal of time in Boston in my youth as well as NYC growing up in Massachesetts, and now live mere "minutes from the falls".

So - I have to mention this because we just experienced it. I don't know if you've traveled to the US (or Northern Hemisphere in general) during the winter, but we found this on our recent trip to Australia. Because you are going from summer, where the sun is up until 9 PM or later, to winter, where the sun will be setting here at 5 PM, you may find that you will be ready to retire very early each night. We discovered this in Sydney/Melbourne that the sun would go down, and it would immediately feel like it was time to go to bed! This lasted well beyond the "jet lag" stage, probably about 1.5 weeks before we really got used to the short hours of daylight. Not sure there's more to it than just saying "be prepared" for it, but I thought I would mention it.

NYC - The holidays are a great time for NYC, and it sounds like you have a great plan. I hope wherever you are getting that "private guide" from is reputable. The whole "learn to ride the Subway like a local" feels a little weird to me. The only way to ride the Subway "like a local" is to know the routes so you don't stand out as being confused, and the NYC subway system is VERY complicated, so I guess I am not sure exactly how they do that. Just in general I was always trained to not look like a tourist (besides how you dress) is to walk with a purpose as apposed to head in a map or looking up at the buildings the whole time.

Quebec City will be beautiful in winter - but VERY, VERY, VERY cold. I'm talking -10C or colder is not uncommon. Make sure to bring (or buy) a very warm jacket, and thermal underclothes would not be a bad idea. (These are relatively light versus bulky outerlayers and do more for keeping you warm than anything else.)

We fly into Toronto at 8am and are then being picked up in a private car to be taken to Niagara Falls which is over 2 hours away. Looking forward to seeing some of the countryside during this drive.

Hate to tell you this, but the drive from Toronto to Niagara Falls is pretty blah. Mostly highway with lots of industry along the way near Toronto. Towards NF there's some farmland, but again not really going to be very interesting in the winter.

We are staying here:- Embassy Suites Niagara Falls. Follow this link to check out the views from this place. Amazing. We paid a little extra to be on a high floor for the ultimate view:- http://www.embassysuitesniagara.com/.

This room has a separate living room as well and an indoor pool.

Good choice, nice location. Don't think you'll be dissappointed. One thing to understand about the falls in winter though - it looks very different than in summer. The American falls tend to be "Frozen over" not frozen stopped, but a large pile of ice in front of the falls that blocks the view. The Horseshoe (Canadian) falls does not get like that, but tends to be more obscured by mist.

The plans for here are:-

Thursday 3 Jan - arrive around lunchtime, check in (hopefully) then go take a look at the falls. Head to the Rainbow Bridge, take in this spectacular scene. Head to Clifton Hill nearby and go to Ripley's Believe it or not (DS is very excited, go figure lol).

6.30pm dinner at The Keg Steakhouse which is in our hotel, spectacular views of the falls. See here:- http://www.kegsteakhouse.com/en/locations/ON/niagara-falls/fallsview-keg/.

Haven't eaten at the Falls Keg, but have eaten at Keg's in Montreal and Toronto. Very very good food in my experience.

Friday 4 Jan - Behind the Falls Tour, a nice lunch and then Dinosaur Mini Golf if it is running at this time of year. Otherwise there are big indoor video arcades, etc. Niagara is just a time to relax and have fun. Not lots of plans.

Saturday 5 Jan - transfer to Buffalo airport

The Falls has a shuttle bus that you can pay a single fee for the day that will take you around the area. It will even take you up to the Butterfly Conservatory.

So, here is where I am going to offer my family's services as host. Our recent trip to Australia, it was so nice to visit with people as opposed to having to be "out" the entire trip. We spent a week with my DW good friends in Melbourne, and I think would've been very sick of eating out by the end without that break in the middle. We also were invited to a wonderful dinner with "Princess In Oz" and her family. Also "Cola" another Aussie DISer spent the day with us in Sydney and took us around to see sights we never would have seen on our own.

I know you will not be in the area for long, so would understand if you were not interested, but DW and I would love the chance to play host. Not sure how early your flight is out of Buffalo, but if it's not too early, I would be willing to offer my services as your "private transfer" to the airport, as well as perhaps treat you to a homemade breakfast. The Buffalo airport is perhaps 40 minutes from NF, Ont, and our house is practically on the route 1/2 way in between. I am sure they are charging you a pretty penny for that transfer. (We have a mini-van that should easily hold 4 people + bags.) The big variable is always crossing the border, but usually early on a Saturday morning wouldn't be an issue.

If that wouldn't work out, I have some other possible ideas, PM me if you would be interested.

Looking forward to all the history in Boston.

We are staying at Omni Parker House Hotel, http://www.omnihotels.com/FindAHotel/BostonParkerHouse.aspx. It's where JFK proposed to Jackie O, Charles Dickens recited A Christmas Carol here, Ho Chi Minh was a busboy, and Malcolm X was a waiter. John Wilkes Booth stayed there a week before he shot Lincoln. And the Boston Cream Pie was invented in the kitchen here :rotfl2:. There are fancier hotels than this one but the location along with the historical charm "had me at hello".

Plans so far:-

Saturday 5 Jan - fly into Boston at 3.30pm, cab to hotel, check in, dump bags and head off straight to Fanueil Hall to wander around, eat at all of the different vendors in the hall, catch some street performers. Sleep

Sunday 6 Jan - doing a 2 day hop on hop off Trolley Tour. Get on tour first thing, do most of the loop and get off at Fenway Park and do Fenway Park tour. Go somewhere nice and easy for lunch. Then hop back on trolley tour, complete rest of the tour and go to Boston Tea Party Museum. Go to North End for a wonderful italian dinner. So many places to choose from, I have a long list.

Monday 7 Jan - Husband's birthday. Hop back on trolley tour, hop off at sites that take fancy like Paul Revere's house. Perhaps lunch at Cheers. In the afternoon have a wander around Boston Common and perhaps go to Samuel Adams Brewery if time and want to. Out for a lovely dinner at Davios, http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&r...witO3TUSDeHfozWFg&sig2=bSlHVrOLG9T7626M5nGuEg, did alot of research on this one. Hopefully it lives up to the hype and the children enjoy it as well. I'm sure my husband will enjoy his birthday. Now that I type this out, I wonder if he would prefer to go to Fenway Park today on his birthday???? Hmm need to think about that some more.

Tuesday 8 Jan - Catch the train to Harvard University. Book in for a student guided tour, goes for 1hour. Hope to inspire our children to greatness :rotfl2:.
Have lunch at the university in one of the many options then come back and into the city and wander around Beacon Hill, a lovely suburb full of old brownstones, I've got a list of "must see" streets. If anytime left go to the Prudential Centre for shopping.

Wednesday 9 Jan - fly to Washington

Looks like you have this one pretty well covered. I was going to suggest dinner at an Italian restaurant in the North End, but looks like you already have that covered. However, I must insist that you manage to find time to eat at Durgin Park while you are there. Durgin Park is a very "New England" restaurant, very old (like 180 years old), that is in the Fanuiel Hall district. It is not fancy at all, tables are family style, so you might find yourself sitting with other people, they used to have a reputation that the wait-staff was intentionally very abrupt/rude to the clients (almost a Disney "themed" restaurant) but I think they've toned that down in the last 20 years. If you have meat-eaters in your family they have the most awesome prime rib. (I recently was watching Travel Channels "top 100 places in America to chow down" and Durgin Park was in the top 10.) Looks like they've been bought out recently, but I would imagine they would try not to change their reputation. http://www.arkrestaurants.com/durgin_park

That's all I have for now. Will see if I think of anything else.

I'm with BattyMum. If you have the money, then get a transfer.

But Boston is a smaller city and you could cab it.

Okay well I think perhaps cab in Boston then. Thank you.

I'll be honest here, the flight we ended up buying was from DCA and it was so quick getting there! So no personal experience with Dulles. Although from previous general browsing, we were happy to cab it to/from Dulles. How expensive is the private transfer?

I haven't looked into the price of the private transfer as yet, that's probably a good idea right :rotfl:

Sounds like a great trip that you have planned :goodvibes Can't wait to read along with your planning!

Thanks frangipanisam

What day of the week/time do you get to Dulles?

We booked a private transfer from Dulles as it was our first stop after the long haul from Sydney, we were arriving really late and I knew we'd be exhausted.

Its a long way out of the city and if you're likely to clash with peak hour traffic I think I'd be inclined to go for the fixed price of the transfer.

Cant help you with Boston, sorry. We had a rental car and drove Into the city. We did fly out of Boston Logan though, and my (admittedly fuzzy) recollection was it wasn't that far out of town?

Andona

We fly in on a Wednesday at 11.15am. So we wouldn't be hitting any peak hour traffic I wouldn't think.

I didn't realise the airport was so far out of the city. This is very good food for thought, thank you.

Goody-can't wait for you to go too so we all get the fun of "travelling with you" and viewing all your stunning pics. On Dulles, we didn't need to cab as we trained from NYC but from my research last year I would second a private transfer for fixed cost rather than a cab-especially if its is likely to clash with peak hours and given you're a larger family (numbers/luggage-just realised that could be misinterpreted....).

Thank you Wendy, I'm definitely leaning this way.

Skier Pete, before I respond to everything that you have said below, I just want to say a very heartfelt thank you for your generous offer. I am speechless at your kindness.

Hey there - Wow, it sounds like you have a fantastic trip planned! I figured I would comment and return the favor of advice that you offered me on my trip to Australia. I've spent a great deal of time in Boston in my youth as well as NYC growing up in Massachesetts, and now live mere "minutes from the falls".

So - I have to mention this because we just experienced it. I don't know if you've traveled to the US (or Northern Hemisphere in general) during the winter, but we found this on our recent trip to Australia. Because you are going from summer, where the sun is up until 9 PM or later, to winter, where the sun will be setting here at 5 PM, you may find that you will be ready to retire very early each night. We discovered this in Sydney/Melbourne that the sun would go down, and it would immediately feel like it was time to go to bed! This lasted well beyond the "jet lag" stage, probably about 1.5 weeks before we really got used to the short hours of daylight. Not sure there's more to it than just saying "be prepared" for it, but I thought I would mention it.

That is a great point about feeling like we want to go to bed earlier. I had not even considered this could be an issue but since my DH and DS go to bed early anyway, it will only really affect myself and our daughter :lmao:

NYC - The holidays are a great time for NYC, and it sounds like you have a great plan. I hope wherever you are getting that "private guide" from is reputable. The whole "learn to ride the Subway like a local" feels a little weird to me. The only way to ride the Subway "like a local" is to know the routes so you don't stand out as being confused, and the NYC subway system is VERY complicated, so I guess I am not sure exactly how they do that. Just in general I was always trained to not look like a tourist (besides how you dress) is to walk with a purpose as apposed to head in a map or looking up at the buildings the whole time.

I am obsessed with reading reviews on everything we book, be it hotels, tours, museums, shows, etc. I read over 100 reviews (I wish I was kidding :blush:) for this tour and feel very confident it will be great. Learning to use the subway is really just a bonus of the actual tour, it's not what the tour is about. I was quoting all of the people who had reviewed the tour who felt the knowledge they gained about the subway helped them use the system "like a local" for the remainder of their stay. I realise that is an over generlisation :), but I do like the idea of feeling more confident about using it. The tour I am positive will be a real highlight.

Quebec City will be beautiful in winter - but VERY, VERY, VERY cold. I'm talking -10C or colder is not uncommon. Make sure to bring (or buy) a very warm jacket, and thermal underclothes would not be a bad idea. (These are relatively light versus bulky outerlayers and do more for keeping you warm than anything else.)

Brrrr, yes I'll be very interested to see how cold it actually is. In Canberra where I live we get -5 and -6 as an average through winter over night. We certainly aren't running around in those temps though :rotfl:. We have bought thermals, hats, gloves, coats, scarves, water proof hiking boots etc. We hope this serves us well but it truly remains to be seen how we will cope :confused3, our hotel is lovely though so if it's too cold, we will just hang around there :lmao:

Hate to tell you this, but the drive from Toronto to Niagara Falls is pretty blah. Mostly highway with lots of industry along the way near Toronto. Towards NF there's some farmland, but again not really going to be very interesting in the winter.

Oh bummer, that is disappointing. I was really hoping for some lovely scenery. Oh well, hopefully our driver is chatty and can tell us some interesting things anyway

Good choice, nice location. Don't think you'll be dissappointed. One thing to understand about the falls in winter though - it looks very different than in summer. The American falls tend to be "Frozen over" not frozen stopped, but a large pile of ice in front of the falls that blocks the view. The Horseshoe (Canadian) falls does not get like that, but tends to be more obscured by mist.

I've been googling winter images of the falls and think it almost looks more beautiful with the ice and snow. It will be just such a new site for us, can't wait.

Haven't eaten at the Falls Keg, but have eaten at Keg's in Montreal and Toronto. Very very good food in my experience.

Well that is a good recommendation then, I hope it lives up to the hype

The Falls has a shuttle bus that you can pay a single fee for the day that will take you around the area. It will even take you up to the Butterfly Conservatory.

This is good to know, thank you so much.

So, here is where I am going to offer my family's services as host. Our recent trip to Australia, it was so nice to visit with people as opposed to having to be "out" the entire trip. We spent a week with my DW good friends in Melbourne, and I think would've been very sick of eating out by the end without that break in the middle. We also were invited to a wonderful dinner with "Princess In Oz" and her family. Also "Cola" another Aussie DISer spent the day with us in Sydney and took us around to see sights we never would have seen on our own.

I know you will not be in the area for long, so would understand if you were not interested, but DW and I would love the chance to play host. Not sure how early your flight is out of Buffalo, but if it's not too early, I would be willing to offer my services as your "private transfer" to the airport, as well as perhaps treat you to a homemade breakfast. The Buffalo airport is perhaps 40 minutes from NF, Ont, and our house is practically on the route 1/2 way in between. I am sure they are charging you a pretty penny for that transfer. (We have a mini-van that should easily hold 4 people + bags.) The big variable is always crossing the border, but usually early on a Saturday morning wouldn't be an issue.

If that wouldn't work out, I have some other possible ideas, PM me if you would be interested.

As I mentioned above, your generosity is amazing. The private transfer to the airport is already fully paid for so thank you anyway for that part.

I will definitely PM you to see if we can organise something else. My DH is always funny about accepting other people's hospitality which is ironic because we love to entertain and show people around ourselves :lmao:. I on the other hand think it sounds like a great idea so hope we could catch up. I will definitely be in touch.

Looks like you have this one pretty well covered. I was going to suggest dinner at an Italian restaurant in the North End, but looks like you already have that covered. However, I must insist that you manage to find time to eat at Durgin Park while you are there. Durgin Park is a very "New England" restaurant, very old (like 180 years old), that is in the Fanuiel Hall district. It is not fancy at all, tables are family style, so you might find yourself sitting with other people, they used to have a reputation that the wait-staff was intentionally very abrupt/rude to the clients (almost a Disney "themed" restaurant) but I think they've toned that down in the last 20 years. If you have meat-eaters in your family they have the most awesome prime rib. (I recently was watching Travel Channels "top 100 places in America to chow down" and Durgin Park was in the top 10.) Looks like they've been bought out recently, but I would imagine they would try not to change their reputation. http://www.arkrestaurants.com/durgin_park

That's all I have for now. Will see if I think of anything else.

I think I already have Durgin Park on my list of places to each so your recommendation makes it a "must do" now.

Thank you so much for all of this amazing detailed information, I truly appreciate it.

The private transfer to the airport is already fully paid for so thank you anyway for that part.

I will definitely PM you to see if we can organise something else. My DH is always funny about accepting other people's hospitality which is ironic because we love to entertain and show people around ourselves . I on the other hand think it sounds like a great idea so hope we could catch up. I will definitely be in touch.

As you folks say...no worries! It could be as simple as we could come over and meet you for dinner on Friday, probably easier as less border hassle. As I said, I have some other ideas, so if you and family feel comfortable, just give us a PM!

As you folks say...no worries! It could be as simple as we could come over and meet you for dinner on Friday, probably easier as less border hassle. As I said, I have some other ideas, so if you and family feel comfortable, just give us a PM!

Thanks Pete so much. I'll be in touch.

I seriously cannot seem to make a decision on this so I'm hoping one of you amazing planner, bossy boots types can help me.

Can someone please please help me decide what to do about our mobile phones. Should we get our iphones unlocked and put the travel gear sims in? And if so do you just go to the travel gear website, buy it, receive it and then pop it into the phones at Sydney airport? And you are sure it will work? Do I have to go on a plan, do I just add money to it? Is there different brands that I have to choose from?

Or should we just put our phones on international roaming?

Or should we take our cheapy mobiles we bought over there last time and put new sims in them?

Ugh

And if you aren't already sick of my needy whining, which dongle should we get from Best Buys this time? Should we just get a normal stick or there does appear to be one that will run up to 5 devices?

Thoughts, advice, help, anything people??????

We used the travelgear sim in an Iphone last year - Worked great - unlimited data, voice and an extra $10 for unlimited international (to landlines),

We put it in on the plane - as it was DD's phone -she needed to be in touch until the last minute :rotfl2:

You then had to call and activate it which we did have trouble with as there was some voice commands and it didnt seem to like DD's accent - (she was trying to do it in the line for immigration -:rolleyes1 this was making her and hence us, very :headache:) When we eventually sat down and did it slowly it was fine. If you can activate it before hand over the internet that would be better.

I think you are essentially signing up for a plan, but not continuing it - as you are going for five weeks you may have to pay for another month of service.

We only had one phone between us - there were a couple of times I would have liked another when we were seperated, but we managed with the old "meet here" system. Maybe take one of your cheapies as well.

Battymum - we definitely need 2 phones. We will split up a bit more on this trip and I want us to be able to contact each other. Good point though about probably only needing the one iphone and using just one of the other cheapies. I hadn't thought of that option.

Shuttergirl, I feel your pain! Can you wait until we get back and then I'll let you know how we got on?

I've decided to hedge my bets and have purchased T-Mobile sims from Travelgear for two of our phones and an AT&T sim from MobiPassport for our third phone. This was so we had the best chance of getting coverage everywhere along our route.

I also wanted at least one AT&T sim as we'll get 3G data with AT&T. With T-Mobile you only get 2G/Edge speeds for data.

Travelgear only sell T-Mobile sims for phones ( but they do sell an AT&T sim for iPads )

I'm also taking another backup phone which will have my Telstra sim in it ( just in case!) That one will have data roaming turned off and we don't plan to use it for making calls - it's just a backup in case we desperately need to make a call somewhere in the wilds of West Texas and we can't get a signal with T-Mobile or AT&T. Our previous experience is that Telstra roaming has fantastic coverage because they have a roaming agreement with about 10 different carriers in the USA - but we don't want to pay their roaming charges unless it's a emergency :)

Both the Travelgear and the Mobipassport sims arrived pretty quickly after I ordered them, within a few days for Travel gear and within a week for Mobipassport.

With Travelgear I've purchased the $2 Pay by the Day plan and added $10 credit. The documents that came with the sim had very clear instructions about how to add extra credit and how to add data etc.

With the Travelgear T-Mobile sim we should be able to just pop our sim in once we hit the USA and we're right to go.

The AT&T sim setup is a bit more complicated - but there is detailed information on their website about setting it up and it came in a neat little wallet with a small card with the basic information on it. I WILL have to activate the AT&T sim myself ( Travelgear activated the T-Mobile one) and then I'll have to add credit. I can activate it before we leave (via their website). When we arrive in LAX I'll attempt to add credit and a data pack using our ANZ Visa card. The AT&T website won't accept a lot of Australian credit cards but I've read reports that it DOES accept ANZ Visa's, the Cash Passport Visa cards and also the 28 degrees Mastercard.

If it won't accept our credit card we'll stroll down to the Gas station near our hotel and buy an American Visa gift card - these generally work.

Andona

Andona - lots of amazing information here. I can definitely wait until you get back. It will be great to get your feedback.

We would probably be ok with the 2g data for the phones since we are definitely buying a dongle for the laptop and or ipad. We won't be going to any remote areas on this trip so think that would suffice.

My DH is keen to purchase another ipad so I'm not sure whether we should go with the "5 devices" option or buy sim cards for the ipads.

Thanks for all of that and I look forward to hearing what works best for you.

It would be fair to say that I don't like change:rotfl:. Ask my family and friends and they will fall about laughing if you even suggest that I can handle change. I can't. That's why I think I like over planning so much. I like to be in control.

So imagine my surprise when I woke up this morning and JetBlue had changed our flight out of Buffalo to Boston from a 3.21pm arrival to an after 8pm arrival. Grrrrrrrr. This would mean we would essentially lose half a day in Boston. I was already feeling like I hadn't allowed enough time in Boston and now this. Not a good start to my day I can tell you.

But the universe has a funny way of making things fall into place in a better way than ever I could plan :lmao:.

I rang JetBlue this morning to say I wasn't happy with the change and that they either needed to find a more suitable flight or give a refund. The only other direct flight that day was at 7.20am. Yeah nuh. We have to get from Niagara Falls to Buffalo for the flight and that just wasn't going to happen. The lady then suggested flying out the day before. At first I wasn't keen on the idea but I had been thinking that we had more time in Niagara than we really needed but had convinced myself it would be extra downtime to play and relax so wasn't too worried. As I'm talking to the lady I have a complete light bulb moment....

Backstory - My son had wanted to see the Boston Celtics play basketball while in the US this time. His only reason for barracking for them is that his 2 older cousins do. My DH however is ALL NYC teams, no matter what so he is a Knicks fan. The basketball timetables came out after our dates were set for the trip and our internal flights were booked and sadly there was a Celtics game the night just before we were due to hit Boston, and one the night we were leaving Boston. Whoops, crappy planning on mummies behalf but DH was thrilled because that meant we definitely would go to see Knicks in NYC. We have purchased those tickets now for 23 December.

Okay back to the current story. While I'm talking to the Jetblue lady I quickly jumped onto Stubhub and looked at when the Celtics were playing and low and behold, they were playing on the night before we were originally due to arrive. So by flying out of Buffalo a day early, we would now be able to take DS to see the Celtics. I quickly rang DH and he said "hell yeah", I could've saved the cost of that call, knew what the answer would be.

So now we only have around 24 hours in Niagara Falls, I've had to add a night accom in Boston and they wouldn't match the price of the other nights, grrrr but the additional night is $50 cheaper than the accom for the night in Niagara so I'm kind of saving there which is weird. And my DS gets to see the Celtics. Now just to decide whether just daddy and son go or whether the girls join them. I think I'll be disappointed if we don't go too but I know my DD will be glad to miss it. Will have to see how much the tickets are tonight.

And win win, I'm thinking we don't tell him and give it to him as his Christmas present which will be good because it isn't a large thing to lug around in the suitcase hahahaha.

Whew, what a morning it's been but it all ended up for the best.

serendipity! I think this is one change that was meant to happen. FWIW we had only one night at Niagara, less than 24 hours total and I didnt feel like we needed longer.

Andona

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

That is definitely fate calling - and your son is going to be over the moon!

serendipity! I think this is one change that was meant to happen. FWIW we had only one night at Niagara, less than 24 hours total and I didnt feel like we needed longer.

Andona

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Andona - that is very good to hear about Niagara. I knew we had a generous amount of time there and was looking for activities to interest the kids. It will now be a bit more condensed but I'm sure we will think it was worthwhile.

That is definitely fate calling - and your son is going to be over the moon!

He is going to be so surprised. I'm kind of crazy excited now, he completely won't be expecting it.

ahh i love it when a plan comes together !!!

that sounds like a really, really great morning. sucks about the changes, but yay that you get to make a wish of your DS's come true, and you ended up saving a little on the accom in the meantime :)

i'd definitely call that a win & chalk it up as a good outcome.

jet blue still sucks for jerking you around like that though :(

i'm hoping delta stick with their times for our trip next year. we have some tight connections :(

Ms. Shuttergirl said:
Finally getting to fulfill a lifetime dream of Christmas in NYC. The original dream was for a "white Christmas" but since we will get snow in Quebec I'd be happy with just one little snow fall, rather than a big blizzard like Shushh got when she was there for Christmas :rotfl:.

Staying at the lovely Hilton New York, again. 9 glorious nights. I love the location of this hotel. I love that it's a few blocks off Times Square so away from the massive crowds but still only a 5 minute walk. I love that it is so close to Central Park and 5th Avenue shops and I love that there is a subway stop right beside it. We have upgraded to an Executive floor room this time so we get use of the lounge which includes continental breakfast, bottles of water, fruit etc and hot nibblies of an evening and a bar. This is key for several reasons:-

The boys in our family are notorious for going to bed early and it drives me spare that the lights need to go out at 8.30pm and night owl me (and now my DD) has to use the laptop in the dark or read with a booklight. This way DD and I can head to the lounge of an evening and read, chat, people watch. And mumma could perhaps partake in a champagne (or 2) whilst updating all my Dis friends on the events of the day :).

Because we are there over Christmas, it's hard to say how cold it will get and how miserable the weather could potentially be. It will be nice to have an additional space to spend time at the hotel that isn't our room.

Okay here is how NYC is shaping up:-

Thursday 20 Dec - fly in at 1.30pm, private transfer to hotel. Check in, dump luggage, head to our beloved Times Square for a wander and to Best Buys to get an internet dongle thing so I can continue to chat with my Dis peeps :lmao:. Have a wander, soak it all in and then early dinner at my all time fave, Bubba Gumps. Can anyone guess what I'm having??? :rotfl2:. After dinner I was thinking we could wander along 5th avenue looking at the shop window decorations. I've done up a detailed map of what stores are the best ones. I truly cannot wait for this.

Friday 21 Dec - 8.30am Private guided tour with Family in New York, our own customised itinerary. On this visit we wanted to explore a bit more and felt like a private guide would be great. This guide takes you via the subway and walking to wherever you want to go. As part of the tour you learn how to use the subway like a local which I think will be a godsend. We plan on spending time in Greenwich Village, Little Italy, Harlem, Meat Packing District, Chinatown, etc. This tour goes for 9 hours so we will be exhausted by the time it finishes at 5.30pm. We will likely have an easy dinner near our hotel.

Saturday 22 Dec - Shopping day, definitely Macy's and wherever else DH wants to go. Thinking perhaps some Christmas present purchases as well. Maybe Katz's deli for lunch. No real plans for this evening, perhaps a nice steakhouse dinner or an irish pub. I've got a long list of yummy dining options depending on our mood.

Sunday 23 Dec - Central Park, trying to explore many of the areas we haven't seen yet plus just enjoy enjoy enjoy. Were hoping to do a carriage ride on Christmas eve but wonder whether we should do it today to make sure we don't miss out. Perhaps FAO Schwarz this day, we love that place.

5pm NY Knicks Basketball at Madison Square Garden. The boys are so excited about this. I think we will all love it. Dinner somewhere afterwards, not sure where or what yet, will refer to the list.

Monday 24 Dec - am thinking of going to the Bryant Park Christmas markets for the morning, perhaps some ice skating although I'm a little hesitant to iceskate. None of us are experienced ice skaters and I worry about someone getting hurt :rotfl:.

3pm The Grinch who Stole Christmas stage show at Madison Square Garden

6pm dinner at Les Halles, cannot wait for this, we so enjoyed it last time although we are going to the Park Avenue location this time.

Tuesday 25 Dec - Christmas Day, how lucky are we. Plans are not set for the morning. Ellen's Stardust diner is open from 7am so I thought it could be unique and ridiculously fun to go here for breakfast. Then wander in Central Park, just to enjoy time together as a family. Our first Christmas on our own.

12pm reservations at The Rock Cafe at the Rockefeller Centre which overlooks the iceskating. A pretty nice way to have Christmas dinner.

Not sure what we will do afterwards but we have 4pm tickets to Radio City Music Hall Christmas Spectacular. This goes for 90 minutes and if we are hungry I thought dinner at Planet Hollywood or similar if it's open.

Wednesday 26 Dec - 10am booking for 911 Memorial. On our past 2 visits the memorial site was still being constructed so we are really looking forward to this. Shopping afterwards.

Thursday 27 Dec - Cake Boss day. We've ended up not making it here previously so DD is insisting. This should be a long wait for not much reward but I hear the canolis are worth lining up for :thumbsup2. Perhaps need to throw a little "culture" into this day. Maybe The Gugg or the Met. We shall see.

early dinner and then 7.30pm Newsies Broadway Show, the new Disney production.

Friday 28 Dec - Yankee Stadium tour then perhaps a wander around the Bronx, dinner somewhere nice for our last evening in NYC

Saturday 29 Dec - fly to Quebec in morning

I'm sure there's alot more to add to NYC, but this is it so far.

hi spent Christmas in NYC in 2005 with dw and in 2010 with dw and 4 yo ds

of there is one experience you have to do it is the radio city music hall Christmas spectacular . it is quintessential NYC Xmas experience - there are specials on for tickets right now

also ice skating wollman rink in central park or Rockefeller centre

Christmas windows

serendipity - very cool little restruant, try the frozen hot chocolate. your dd will be in heaven if she likes desert

If you haven't been to NYC before use subways great cheap safe and quick to get around. we
also did 72 hour all loops hop on hop off . saw everything at our own pace. gave us a good overview of city for our own exploring

you will love NYC at Christmas it is beautiful

even better when it snows (unless it is a once in 50 year blizzard)- although that only slowed us down for 12 hours. we got an extra 3 days in NYC Paid for by travel insurance.

oops got ahead of myself there - saw NYC at Chrissy and got excited. now I have read your post you have most of those things

OK...guess I am sad you are not staying in our area longer - there is much to see! Honestly makes me wonder whether you should bother, and instead go right from Quebec to Boston. It seems like a lot of cost and effort to look at some frozen water.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter